• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 3: Pining for the Good Old Days Edition

Dazzler

I have Canadian Netflix set up on my PS3 and US set up on my Xbox and US trumps Canada for TV shows, but Canada wins for movies imo

balohna

Canadians get the shaft for a couple reasons:

1. The CRTC is bullshit.
2. It's a huge country without very many people.

J-Man

Canadians get the shaft for a couple reasons:

1. The CRTC is bullshit.
2. It's a huge country without very many people.

Getting rid of the CRTC wouldn't solve any problems, in fact, It'd probably add a lot of problems. If you get rid of the CRTC, you better also get rid of foreign ownership laws, because otherwise as customers we'd be even worse off.

The TV selection on Netflix isn't bad.

Watch Rectify.

YES! Watch Rectify. I had a prison TV week back in July when I watched Rectify and Orange and thought they were both amazing.

DJ_Lae

Amazon.ca is worse than .com, but it's a lot better than it was a couple of years back. Occasionally you get items that are cheaper than on the US site, though obviously that's more than balanced out by the frequent sales and lower prices down there.

In the past year I've ordered a breadmaker, deep fryer, and a few other items that were slightly to significantly cheaper than .com.

Their customer service has been incredibly helpful in my experience, too. In comparison Future Shop is mostly mediocre and my few dealings with EB Games support staff over the phone have been horrible (it all seems to go to a US switchboard and they have little to no knowledge of the Canadian side).

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
It's 17.50 on chapters... before membership discounts. Just fyi. It's not 23 everywhere else. :p which means that after chapter's free shipping, it's actually cheaper than amazon.ca
Unless I'm missing something, Chapters free shipping is for orders over $25, the same as amazon.ca.

The member price is $16.60, so amazon.ca price is still technically cheaper unless there's other membership perks I'm not aware of besides the points system.

balohna

Getting rid of the CRTC wouldn't solve any problems, in fact, It'd probably add a lot of problems. If you get rid of the CRTC, you better also get rid of foreign ownership laws, because otherwise as customers we'd be even worse off.

We don't have to get rid of it, but it's still bullshit. Lots of room for improvement and more pro-consumer policies.

zroid

Banned
Unless I'm missing something, Chapters free shipping is for orders over $25, the same as amazon.ca.

The member price is $16.60, so amazon.ca price is still technically cheaper unless there's other membership perks I'm not aware of besides the points system.

that was yesterday, there was a free shipping with no minimum charge promotion.

I had to proxy my Netflix streaming because Canadian Netflix was so lame. Do Canadians just take whatever is spoonfed and not complain?

Canadians do plenty of complaining, but that's where it ends. Trying to get anyone out of their house to protest something (at least here in Oil Country) or to even write a letter is like pulling teeth.

Like somehow bitching at Tim Hortons every morning about the same thing(s) is going to change the world.

OH AND MY GAMES ARRIVED IN THE MAIL OMGWTFBBQ!!!

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
For Vancouverites, I've heard the EB Games at Metrotown is.

Edit: Hearing that Richmond Centre is too.

Just posting to say that Metrotown Midnight Release is confirmed. Shit, I might go.

Nope, free shipping. I ordered it this weekend, no shipping cost for me. :) burnaby bc for what it's worth.

Guitarmy

Banned
The best thing that happened to amazon (for us non Toronto area people IMO) was when canada post went on strike and amazon switched to UPS. Used to take me over a week sometimes to get stuff after it shipped, now it takes 2 days.

Sora_N

For Chapters, you can ship to store for free or return items shipped back to the store to get free shipping. I'm not in a huge rush for the X/Y guide so I did ship-to-store last month, was too lazy to reorder when they had free ship.

AAK

So I know someone that's looking to buy a Wii, what's the cheapest place I can get one? I know in the usual best buys and Futureshops I can get it for $80 but is there anywhere I can get it cheaper? thanks in advance.

As someone who moved here from Europe a few years ago it's insane how many things you guys get the shaft on.

Cell phone charges (mind-bogglingly expensive)
Flight tickets

Even staples like chicken and milk are ridic

Still love the place, though
I used to think the same after coming here from Germany, but then I found out that the distance between the place I live, Saskatoon, to Toronto is more than the distance between London and Moscow; and then there are two provinces to the left of where I live, and one to the right of Ontario; that's the distance the networks and flights should cover.

So I know someone that's looking to buy a Wii, what's the cheapest place I can get one? I know in the usual best buys and Futureshops I can get it for $80 but is there anywhere I can get it cheaper? thanks in advance.
First, try getting a normal Wii; red box SUCKS big time. If you are an edge member, you can get 10% of the refurbished systems at GS, normal will be $81 and red $72.

trixx

There's no way you'll be able to pick it up from the post office till it's been processed at the local delivery centre and sent out for delivery, so I doubt anyone will get Pokemon before Tuesday. I don't imagine FS will send this one out early enough to get it Friday with Nintendo being so paranoid about the street date for it.

I hate Nintendo's new Friday and Saturday release dates even more than Sundays. My Wind Waker got to town Friday morning, got processed for delivery last night, yet it's still not even out for delivery today, so I'm starting to suspect I won't actually get it till tomorrow. Why can't Nintendo just do Tuesday releases like everyone else?

Yea just got my wind waker about 2 hours ago might have to buy a copy and return the one i get from fs

AAK

First, try getting a normal Wii; red box SUCKS big time. If you are an edge member, you can get 10% of the refurbished systems at GS, normal will be $81 and red $72.

OH wow really? Is it a durability issue or functionality? I may just go to Kijiji or Craigslist then.

OH wow really? Is it a durability issue or functionality? I may just go to Kijiji or Craigslist then.

So far as I know the only major difference is that it doesn't play gamecube games and has no gamecube controller ports (which could also be used to play Brawl, if you preferred.)

Functionality; I am on mobile and can't link you to the thread, but I made a thread for it, the shit stinks. Though if you are not on budget, have you considered a Wii U? It's like 120 more.

So far as I know the only major difference is that it doesn't play gamecube games and has no gamecube controller ports (which could also be used to play Brawl, if you preferred.)
Also, no web access, no way to download any Wii VC/Wii Downloadables, and no Component support.

Cheerilee

I just read that Verizon pulled out of coming to Canada?

I guess the big 3 won again. Ughhh.

Yeah, that was a month ago. They did a bunch of research, and then concluded that Canada wasn't worth the hassle.

Now we're waiting for someone else to miraculously decide to invest in Wind/Mobilicity, and if they don't... well... Mobilicity is already in bankruptcy proceedings (with Telus circling like a vulture), and once Wind falls down too, the big three will most likely drop their low-budget alternatives like Fido and Koodo.

FluxWaveZ

So I just pre-ordered a PS4 today at EB Games. What are the odds I get one before Christmas?

Did you ask them if you're guaranteed one for launch? Could have sworn that any pre-order at EB Games was a guaranteed launch unit, but I guess it's never a 100% certainty because launch days are apparently chaotic.

ohlawd

about that Pokemon event...

yeah fuck I ain't traveling all the way to Vancouver. But hey Surrey is closer and I can bring my little bro so I feel a little less awkward :3

L Thammy

For those of us who preordered Watch_Dogs during the Futureshop E3 shindig. Will that count as the day one edition or the standard edition?

Did you ask them if you're guaranteed one for launch? Could have sworn that any pre-order at EB Games was a guaranteed launch unit, but I guess it's never a 100% certainty because launch days are apparently chaotic.

I'm definitely not guaranteed for launch. They said around Christmas, but if Sony is replenishing weekly, I'm hoping it's earlier.

Apparently the Vaughan Mills EB has 350 day one pre-orders to fill.

ahdurian

I overheard one guy preordering one when he was buying GTA5.
Some stores are still doing preorder lists, it's just that keep track of who ordered first.
So it's basically you can preorder, but you'll have to wait until everyone before you has got one.\

it's also in phases, so my store apparently is getting 30 in the first phase, then a different amount for second phase, another amount for third phase, etc.

FluxWaveZ

it's also in phases, so my store apparently is getting 30 in the first phase, then a different amount for second phase, another amount for third phase, etc.

Ah, I see. Well, as long as it works out for everyone who pre-ordered a console in their respective phase, but it sounds relatively complicated and potentially messy.

Ramblin

Banned
I lived in Canada for a few years and completely agree. I would even import Amazon stuff from the US because it was cheaper even after shipping (or just available, period.)

I had to proxy my Netflix streaming because Canadian Netflix was so lame. Do Canadians just take whatever is spoonfed and not complain?

Our beer selection sucks too. But my American wife won't return because her asshat country can't manage to take care of their less fortunate citizens. Strangely enough, she runs her own business but could never afford the taxes and healthcare there. Get your shit straight America.

J-Man

We don't have to get rid of it, but it's still bullshit. Lots of room for improvement and more pro-consumer policies.

Hahah, I don't know why I misread your post as "get rid of the CRTC". Of course I wouldn't mind a more pro-consumer policies, but it's a difficult position to balance, and I look forward to seeing more of what the new head is going to do.

I do kinda wish they blocked the bell-astral deal.

In other (shipping) news, I didn't get any email from Future Shop about shipping Beyond: Two Souls, which sucks. Future Shop shipping is bipolar for me. As I posted a few weeks ago, I received NHL 14 on the Friday of release week (shipping notice: Monday), but I then received GTAV on release day (shipping notice: Sunday. I avoided posting about it because of the earlier shipping talk backlash in the thread haha). I don't understand how it can be so drastically different month to month/week to week.

espher

I used to think the same after coming here from Germany, but then I found out that the distance between the place I live, Saskatoon, to Toronto is more than the distance between London and Moscow; and then there are two provinces to the left of where I live, and one to the right of Ontario; that's the distance the networks and flights should cover.

Forgetting about Atlantic Canada? Yeah, you fit in with the rest of Canada just fine. ;)

zroid

Banned
Star Fox 64 3D is well worth 20 bucks. It's awesome, particularly if you have people to play locally with -- probably my favourite multiplayer game on 3DS. It does support single card muli too.

You have an arguement for flight costs - long distances and fewer passengers mean higher prices, and that should be expected. But for cell phone costs? You have to remember that the telecommunications infrastructures that these companies own were put in place with huge government subsidies. They got all kinds of benefits from public funds when they installed these systems and now they charge us more than just about anywhere else in the world to use them. Cell phone pricing in Canada is fucking larcenous. Period.

PS - New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Newfoundland and Prince Edward Island say "Hi!"

zroid

Banned
This is honestly perplexing:

sztMOIH.png

I had these two copies of Wind Waker ordered (thanks to them converting Zelda U). Emailed FS last Monday (Sep 30) to have them cancel one of the pair.

86pr.png

So on Wednesday or Thursday this appeared on my order status, which was natural. And then on Friday I received my copy of Wind Waker from FS in the mail. But... I never received a shipping notification, nor has a link to my invoice ever appeared on the order page. In fact, checking my credit card balance online, 6 days after the card was apparently charged, there are still no charges made by FS. I don't know what's happening. If my cc statement still doesn't indicate a $45 charge before the end of the week, looks like I just got a free copy of Wind Waker.

Stay FAR away from the Wii Mini.

• no gamecube support
  • no internet, even with a USB dongle
  • no component video
It is one of the only console revisions I have skipped as a collector. It is truly an insultingly crippled piece of hardware.

schlew

I took part in that BB promotion where I saved $10 on both Rayman Legends and Batman 3DS ($29.99 each) by ordering them together. I received Rayman at launch, so if I were to cancel Batman, what happens? Am I charged what I saved on Rayman for canceling?

Thanks!

This is honestly perplexing:

sztMOIH.png

I had these two copies of Wind Waker ordered (thanks to them converting Zelda U). Emailed FS last Monday (Sep 30) to have them cancel one of the pair.

86pr.png

So on Wednesday or Thursday this appeared on my order status, which was natural. And then on Friday I received my copy of Wind Waker from FS in the mail. But... I never received a shipping notification, nor has a link to my invoice ever appeared on the order page. In fact, checking my credit card balance online, 6 days after the card was apparently charged, there are still no charges made by FS. I don't know what's happening. If my cc statement still doesn't indicate a $45 charge before the end of the week, looks like I just got a free copy of Wind Waker.

Oh they'll charge you eventually. I thought I got a free Borderlands 2 last year only to get charged later.

I took part in that BB promotion where I saved $10 on both Rayman Legends and Batman 3DS ($29.99 each) by ordering them together. I received Rayman at launch, so if I were to cancel Batman, what happens? Am I charged what I saved on Rayman for canceling?

Thanks!

No.

krae_man

I forgot to cancel my Tsilon Beyond Two Souls preorder after I preordered the Special Edition as part of this years E3 deal. There goes a Saturday Afternoon. Oh well at least these orders had the right EXP date in them.

DJ_Lae

In my quest to find some $19.99 WiiU games at Shoppers, I ran across a handful of black Wiis (the NSMB bundle) dropped to $99.99.

As mentioned, the red Wii is pretty awful. I think that black edition is already the once gimped Wii (no Gamecube support) but it at least has Wi-Fi if someone wanted to use it for Netflix or something. Plus, you know, slot loading drive and all that.

Top Bottom