• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 3: Pining for the Good Old Days Edition

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
I didn't know FS price matched kijiji.

I was talking about the Game&Wario pricematch! :p

What store's price did you match? I wanted to check this game out, and at $10, the price is right...!

I was talking about the Game&Wario pricematch! :p

What store's price did you match? I wanted to check this game out, and at $10, the price is right...!

Target. It's $12 there as well as Mass Effect 3 Wii U, but finding stock to confirm in nearly impossible. I someone got a guy who just did it and didn't make any calls.

It depends if you ever get lucky and a employee ever just does it and doesn't call for stock confirmation. So don't get your hopes up.

Picked up NintendoLand used at EB for 24.95 - edge discount. Thought it was a good deal since it's still $60 new most places. Fun little game, actually.

Lexxism

Futureshop will be giving out tshirts with Pokemon purchases. There's also a Trade 1 for Pokemon so hopefully I'll be able to trade Tales of Xillia and get an extra copy for dat shirt.

Really? This will be sweet if they somehow change the 3DS games. I hope they add the dream team :lol

Magnus

Wait. You guys are getting email shipping notices from FS for Pokemon already?? I only got one for Beyond on Tuesday morning (and subsequently received the game Tues afternoon). I fully expect FS to ship Friday and arrive Tuesday (thanks to the Monday holiday).

I'll be amazed if we receive anything tomorrow.

I'll be buying mine at FS Sat morning and swapping later.

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
Target. It's $12 there as well as Mass Effect 3 Wii U, but finding stock to confirm in nearly impossible. I someone got a guy who just did it and didn't make any calls.

Oh, since there's no website or flyer to show the price, I guess it's really hit-or-miss.

Thanks!

BB is having a flash sale on TVs and Home Theatre systems today!
I was looking for a good Home theatre around 200-300$, is that a possible budget to get a decent one? Any recommendations are appreciated!

For some reason they couldn't charge my CC for pokemon. :/ It works perfectly fine! Need to call them up.

Got the same email event though it is the same CC used for Beyond and GTAV and it works fine everywhere else!

I was looking for a good Home theatre around 200-300$, is that a possible budget to get a decent one? Any recommendations are appreciated!

short answer no

The ones on sale right now in that price range are ok but they're the lowest model in their respective product lines, small speakers, not a whole lot of power so it'll do the job just not that well. Going up to $500-600 is decent and something like the onkyo 7.1 system comes with a real receiver too which is a plus.

If surround isn't important I'd suggest getting a soundbar, it'll give much better quality sound than your television and decent ones are about $300 The sony HTCT260 is cnet's best budget soundbar and pretty good, I'd probably suggest going to the Samsung 550 though, down $120 to $330 and sound quality wise is a bit above the sony one for not much more right now.

How good?

I had lucked out back in 2006 with the Sony STR-DG500 theatre in a box, which is still working great for me (drawback, no HDMI decoding, only passthrough). I'm looking at a full replacement now, and I actually have a hard time even matching feature to feature for that box. Finding a receiver that has multi-in is apparently impossible, and asking for more than 2 Component + 2 Composite under $400? HA. Don't even get me started on the "would likes" of S-Video or VGA/DVI.

isny

napkin dispenser
Sorry, lostconfused got me nostalgic. Anyone else remember these?

bigZ-pillow.jpg

Omlagus

How good?

I had lucked out back in 2006 with the Sony STR-DG500 theatre in a box, which is still working great for me (drawback, no HDMI decoding, only passthrough). I'm looking at a full replacement now, and I actually have a hard time even matching feature to feature for that box. Finding a receiver that has multi-in is apparently impossible, and asking for more than 2 Component + 2 Composite under $400? HA. Don't even get me started on the "would likes" of S-Video or VGA/DVI.

You're going to have a real hard time finding a new receiver with S-Video. I'm pretty sure most of the main manufacturers have dumped that completely within the last couple of years. Even composite will start becoming scarce soon, if it hasn't been dropped entirely already.

I don't know if this is the best place to ask this is, but I have a huge stack of old videogames that I'd love to get rid of and I was wondering if anyone had a good and easy way to do this. My goal is selling them somewhere in bulk where I'll actually get a decent amount for them, but I don't know if that's something that I can possibly do or not.

So does that just leave Ebay/GAF as the best way? Kijiji maybe? Packing each item individually isn't too appealing to me but if that's the only way I'll get a decent amount for these games then so be it.

short answer no

The ones on sale right now in that price range are ok but they're the lowest model in their respective product lines, small speakers, not a whole lot of power so it'll do the job just not that well. Going up to $500-600 is decent and something like the onkyo 7.1 system comes with a real receiver too which is a plus.

If surround isn't important I'd suggest getting a soundbar, it'll give much better quality sound than your television and decent ones are about $300 The sony HTCT260 is cnet's best budget soundbar and pretty good, I'd probably suggest going to the Samsung 550 though, down $120 to $330 and sound quality wise is a bit above the sony one for not much more right now.

I'd like a surround system, I know sound bars are better than TV speakers but I'd rather try looking for a surround system, not sure I'm willing to pay 600$ish now with next gen consoles just around the corner!

How good?

TBH I'm not well informed when it comes to sound systems, I used to have a Logitech Z5400 sound system for years until I moved and I was very happy with it lol

espher

I don't know if this is the best place to ask this is, but I have a huge stack of old videogames that I'd love to get rid of and I was wondering if anyone had a good and easy way to do this. My goal is selling them somewhere in bulk where I'll actually get a decent amount for them, but I don't know if that's something that I can possibly do or not.

So does that just leave Ebay/GAF as the best way? Kijiji maybe? Packing each item individually isn't too appealing to me but if that's the only way I'll get a decent amount for these games then so be it.

Not at I've seen many but I very rarely seem to see lots get a lot of bids on eBay (I've been crusing them looking for some good deals since I'm in a big buying binge of late). Kijiji might work for finding someone more or less local, but I think eBay (in themed lots versus one giant one) or GAF may be best.

khaaan

Shin Megami Tensei 4 limited edition is $39.99 at VideoGame Plus until the 14th.

https://www.videogamesplus.ca/product_info.php?products_id=20836

You can also go to your local FutureShop and check if they still have it. I was there last weekend to pick up Sly and saw a healthy sized pile of them for $39.99. It made me butthurt because I wasn't planning on getting the game but around launch people were adamant that $49.99 is worth it and I'll miss out on a great collectable.

ohlawd

Anybody else having issues looking up their placed orders on Futureshop.ca?

Their site is shit. I've never successfully checked my orders there. I've had to rely on FS sending me emails telling me "these games are currently waiting for the release date"

You can also go to your local FutureShop and check if they still have it. I was there last weekend to pick up Sly and saw a healthy sized pile of them for $39.99. It made me butthurt because I wasn't planning on getting the game but around launch people were adamant that $49.99 is worth it and I'll miss out on a great collectable.
Missing out on a great game AND a great collectible. You still have a chance to make the right choice.

Anybody else having issues looking up their placed orders on Futureshop.ca?

Just pray you never get to a point where you need to change shipping or payment info. Then you'll TRULY be right pissed off. Luckily, calling them to edit an order is a relatively quick and painless process.

khaaan

Missing out on a great game AND a great collectible. You still have a chance to make the right choice.

Oh, I did get the game back on launch for $49.99. I was just trying to say that I was a bit bummed because I didn't want to get it at that price point but when it was about to launch people convinced me that if I don't get it quick I would be missing out on a great collectible.

The game is fun, but in hindsight I would have been fine with the regular version later down the line. The $30 for registering it and Fire Emblem was nice though =P

Oh, I did get the game back on launch for $49.99. I was just trying to say that I was a bit bummed because I didn't want to get it at that price point but when it was about to launch people convinced me that if I don't get it quick I would be missing out on a great collectible.

I feel the same way. But at the same time, with my luck, the one time that I DON'T preorder is gonna be the time when things really are severely limited and I have to pay out the ass for the limited/first print edition.

E-DuB

Can anyone recommend a good wireless router? Preferably something I can walk into a store and buy today?

Looking to spend no more than $70 if that helps.

Thanks guys!

Edit: I'm in Toronto if that helps

StevieP

Banned
Can anyone recommend a good wireless router? Preferably something I can walk into a store and buy today?

Looking to spend no more than $70 if that helps.

Thanks guys!

Edit: I'm in Toronto if that helps

Honestly, pick up whatever. Most of the consumer level routers are the same. They all need to be rebooted like once a week before they stop dropping connections, especially if you're on anything peer to peer. It's like someone asking "what do i get, a seagate hard drive or western digital?" and everyone has stories about both. They're all the same.

Try to grab something that has gigabit ports, which is sometimes difficult in that price range.

KJA

Honestly, pick up whatever. Most of the consumer level routers are the same. They all need to be rebooted like once a week before they stop dropping connections, especially if you're on anything peer to peer. It's like someone asking "what do i get, a seagate hard drive or western digital?" and everyone has stories about both. They're all the same.

Try to grab something that has gigabit ports, which is sometimes difficult in that price range.

I'm sorry but I have to disagree you with that one.

Not all hardware are made the same and none of them should have to be rebooted once a week.

There are a number of different amount of routers on the market, ranging from cheap and shitty, moderately priced and fairly good, or highly expensive and is ridiculously awesome. They also come with different types of standards (Wireless G/Wireless N, or the new Wireless AC), some of which you may or may not care about.

If you just want to buy a simple and reliable router (for the sole purpose of providing yourself with wireless internet), I would recommend something like the classic Linksys WRT54GL or the Asus RT-N56U, both of which are priced around $50-$100.

Now, if you wanted your router to do more things like giving you the ability to stream video files over a network, then I would suggest putting in some more money towards some more powerful hardware.

The bad news? I had to delete stuff to make room, and Rayman Legends Challenge App was among the casualties, problem is it won't let me redownload it, it says it's unavailable, which makes no sense since it's been always possible to redownload anything you've downloaded, even if it's not on the store anymore.

I sent a shout out to Customer Service for help.
The Rayman Challenges app is no longer available since the full game is now out. If you want to keep doing challenge levels, you need to buy the game since they deactivated the app as soon as Legends released.

ohlawd

ahahah no way. Not going to Metro.

I'll keep things as is: attend the midnight eShop launch, pick up X and Y preorders hours later and hopefully get the bonuses (which is why I freaking ordered in the first place)

StevieP

Banned
I'm sorry but I have to disagree you with that one.

Not all hardware are made the same and none of them should have to be rebooted once a week.

There are a number of different amount of routers on the market, ranging from cheap and shitty, moderately priced and fairly good, or highly expensive and is ridiculously awesome. They also come with different types of standards (Wireless G/Wireless N, or the new Wireless AC), some of which you may or may not care about.

If you just want to buy a simple and reliable router (for the sole purpose of providing yourself with wireless internet), I would recommend something like the classic Linksys WRT54GL or the Asus RT-N56U, both of which are priced around $50-$100.

Now, if you wanted your router to do more things like giving you the ability to stream video files over a network, then I would suggest putting in some more money towards some more powerful hardware.

I have both a WRT54GL and an RT-something. They both need to be rebooted on average once a week, the Asus slightly less than the Linksys. So yeah, in the $70 price range... just get an N router with gig ports if possible. lol

It's the same story with every consumer-level router I own. I started buying refurbished Junipers for this very reason.

cookie15

Neo Member
I have both a WRT54GL and an RT-something. They both need to be rebooted on average once a week, the Asus slightly less than the Linksys. So yeah, in the $70 price range... just get an N router with gig ports if possible. lol

It's the same story with every consumer-level router I own. I started buying refurbished Junipers for this very reason.

I bought 2 Linksys E2000's for $20 bucks each. Gigabit ports and wireless N. Flashed it DD-WRT and it's stable as a rock.

I suggest Linksys or Asus routers that can be flashed with DD-WRT or Tomato firmwares.

Got the same email event though it is the same CC used for Beyond and GTAV and it works fine everywhere else!

Yup. Worked for GTA V just a few weeks ago. Not sure what the deal is.

Anyone know how to get a live person to fix this. I've phoned up the number they gave me and I can't seem to get a live person. I keep getting redirected to the website.

0 does nothing.

:(

Fucking Future Shop.

StevieP

Banned
I bought 2 Linksys E2000's for $20 bucks each. Gigabit ports and wireless N. Flashed it DD-WRT and it's stable as a rock.

I suggest Linksys or Asus routers that can be flashed with DD-WRT or Tomato firmwares.

That's probably a better suggestion for someone who's OK with modifying firmware. The standard firmware on most of these consumer routers are garbage. I just don't have time to play (hence Junipers)

That's probably a better suggestion for someone who's OK with modifying firmware. The standard firmware on most of these consumer routers are garbage. I just don't have time to play (hence Junipers)

I ran Tomato (and previously DD-WRT) on a WRT54GL, but my Asus NT-R66 is on the original firmware. It's a bit ugly and doesn't have as many features but it's fine otherwise. Can't remember the last time I had to reboot either of them, either.

Anyone know of any good 3DS XL deals anywhere? I have the Pikachu one but the hinge squeaks like crazy and is really loose, plus the shoulder buttons stick, so I kind of want to just grab another and retire the Pikachu one to my shelf of cool video game shit, but really don't want to pay full price.

Lexxism

Anyone know of any good 3DS XL deals anywhere? I have the Pikachu one but the hinge squeaks like crazy and is really loose, plus the shoulder buttons stick, so I kind of want to just grab another and retire the Pikachu one to my shelf of cool video game shit, but really don't want to pay full price.

Well, the last good 3DS XL deal was the $150 from Walmart. That was like 2-3 weeks ago? I haven't see any good XL deals since then.

Top Bottom