• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 3: Pining for the Good Old Days Edition

jet1911

Well, well, well my Pokémon copy might get here today!

sanstitre3qx8p.png

Too bad I have to work lol

soultron

Banned
I assume that the FS will have the same list of games for 3DS! YES! No need for me to go to EBgames to trade my SMTIV :D

I'm kind of considering trading SMTIV. I played for 10 hours, had a good time, but ultimately don't have the time to invest in it. Pokemon seems like it will require less of my time. I think?

L Thammy

GUYS! The T1 of BB is now live.

These are the list of eligible games for 3DS!

*Luigi's Mansion
*Mario and Luigi: Dream Team (fffckkk yes!)
*NSMB2
*MK7
*Scribblenauts Unmasked
*Mario 3D Land

I assume that the FS will have the same list of games for 3DS! YES! No need for me to go to EBgames to trade my SMTIV :D

For more list: Here

Wait, what specifically is that list? We can trade in any one of those to get Pokemon tomorrow? Online or in-store?
Handheld Mario Kart does nothing for me - might as well get rid of Mario Kart 7.

Jessicat

Ugh, FS charged my card yesterday but still haven't shipped out my pkmn y ._.;
I'm guessing the shirts they're giving out at FS in-store are kid sizes only? XD
Also got an email about a pokemon event today somewhere in Toronto, what's that all about? I'd go but I haven't played pkmn since Soul Silver, lol.

zroid

Banned
Also got an email about a pokemon event today somewhere in Toronto, what's that all about? I'd go but I haven't played pkmn since Soul Silver, lol.

it's at harbourfront centre between 3 and 9pm. I'm going. :D

there's gonna be Pokémon X/Y demo stations, as well as giveaways and of course STREETPASSING

GUYS! The T1 of BB is now live.

These are the list of eligible games for 3DS!

*Luigi's Mansion
*Mario and Luigi: Dream Team (fffckkk yes!)
*NSMB2
*MK7
*Scribblenauts Unmasked
*Mario 3D Land

For more list: Here

Yay for Dream Team, but do I want to part with Mario 3D Land?

jokkir

What do you guys think I should do? Trade in M&L Dream Team for Pokemon X/Y? I was thinking since Pokemon will probably have a longer trade in value, if I don't like it, I can just trade it in later for M&L or another game.

KarmaCow

I despise Dream Team, but yea it's also a good idea because Pokemon will probably be more sought after even if a billion copies are printed.

isny

napkin dispenser
I despise Dream Team, but yea it's also a good idea because Pokemon will probably be more sought after even if a billion copies are printed.

I don't know why so many of you hated Dream Team. It was a fantastic game. Miles, and miles, and miles ahead of Sticker Star.

You're going to have a real hard time finding a new receiver with S-Video. I'm pretty sure most of the main manufacturers have dumped that completely within the last couple of years. Even composite will start becoming scarce soon, if it hasn't been dropped entirely already.
Oh I've given up on S-Video, but it's somewhat scary to see all the high end ones have just dropped EVERYTHING. Multi In is impossible to find, two or more optical seems to be a rarity, and yeah, like you said, even composite (and even component) are starting to go down in number.

When I'm thinking high end, I'm not looking for 3 different HDMI outs, 4 separate audio aux out and a set of pre-outs. Who's asking for those?

KarmaCow

I don't know why so many of you hated Dream Team. It was a fantastic game. Miles, and miles, and miles ahead of Sticker Star.

I didn't play Sticker Star but part of it is because I guess I don't like the M&L style of non-JRPG gameplay. This might be a M&L staple (I only half-played the first ages ago), but the battles took forever with no real strategy, instead it was more about completing drawn out minigames. The battles seemed more focused on looking good instead of providing something interesting to play. I also didn't like the game's pacing, both in terms of tutorials still grinding the game to a halt 20+ hours in and the general direction of the objectives. Later game spoilers
the hunt to find the bed pieces really kills the pacing and the game still has more drawn out sections after that
. If it wasn't the only game I had on me for a trip, I would have dropped it sooner.

The puzzle stuff in 2D was okay, but enough to support the rest of the game.

Magnus

The cutscenes and talking just dragged out like crazy. I lost patience fast, despite really enjoying the gameplay otherwise.

Tuck

The cutscenes and talking just dragged out like crazy. I lost patience fast, despite really enjoying the gameplay otherwise.

The first several hours drag on so much - I had to put the game down. But I started playing it again and I'm starting to enjoy it more.

Nintendo's love of over explaining things has really brought down the quality of some of their recent games.

Unofficial PS4 + extra DS4 + Killzone bundle is back in stock at shop.ca ($519.97)

use ebates to get 20% off.

RFD actually has a good thread about it if you want to know how to get it for cheap. http://forums.redflagdeals.com/sony-playstation-4-pre-order-thread-399-11-15-2013-a-1348430/299/

You can potentially get it cheaper from shop.ca (full disclosure: I work there) than you can get a PS4 without any extras from anywhere else :). You can get $35-60 off in addition to the 20% ebates by using the SHOPEBATES promo code, getting $25 for signing up, and $25 from paypal (if you got the email from paypal).

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Weekend release for Pokemon + Futureshop shipping =

VQLccND.gif

RFD actually has a good thread about it if you want to know how to get it for cheap. http://forums.redflagdeals.com/sony-playstation-4-pre-order-thread-399-11-15-2013-a-1348430/299/

You can potentially get it cheaper from shop.ca (full disclosure: I work there) than you can get a PS4 without any extras from anywhere else :). You can get $35-60 off in addition to the 20% ebates by using the SHOPEBATES promo code, getting $25 for signing up, and $25 from paypal (if you got the email from paypal).

It's only 10% cashback now. Still a good deal for something at full price.

soultron

Banned
If there's one thing I've learned from this thread, it's that I'm never going to order things online (especially from FS/BB). I'm just going to walk into a store on release day and pick it up, stress free.

If there's one thing I've learned from this thread, it's that I'm never going to order things online (especially from FS/BB). I'm just going to walk into a store on release day and pick it up, stress free.

But those $20 off e3 deals. I normally hate ordering online but those deals make it worth it.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I almost always get things on release day and the E3 33% off is worth it even if I had to wait a day or two. I didn't order Pokemon because I don't care about it.

Takuan

Does the 20% off show up upon checking out? I'm using the ebates link but can't seem to get anything to show.

ohlawd

No, the lesson you need to walk away with from this thread is to never order from BB/FS if you want something on release date. You're ordering from them because of their deals like E3 and Gamescom.

You can always order from their sites, pick up whatever it is you want on release date instore, make love to it, keep the receipt and when the delivery comes, go back to the shop and return it.

Lexxism

Wait, what specifically is that list? We can trade in any one of those to get Pokemon tomorrow? Online or in-store?
Handheld Mario Kart does nothing for me - might as well get rid of Mario Kart 7.

Trade 1 any of those 3ds games I listed or any of the games I linked and you will get either Pokemon X or Y. It's only in-store.

jokkir

Anyone know the cheapest place to get a Nexus 4 off-contract that's close to what Google was selling it for on their Play Store? (Around $250-ish)

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Here is how to move
Here us how to make Mario jump
Here is how to make Luigi jump
Here is how you use badges
Here is how to equip items
Here is how you use the hammer
Here is how you dodge
Here is how you use Special Luigi attacks
Here is how you use badges (again)

jokkir

Here is how to move
Here us how to make Mario jump
Here is how to make Luigi jump
Here is how you use badges
Here is how to equip items
Here is how you use the hammer
Here is how you dodge
Here is how you use Special Luigi attacks
Here is how you use badges (again)

Yeah, I never understood that badges tutorials that happens about an hour after the first one

Its back to 20% (checked ebates.ca and confirmed with coworker who handles the ebates stuff)

Does the 20% off show up upon checking out? I'm using the ebates link but can't seem to get anything to show.
I haven't used ebates personally, but from what I've read and heard from other people, it doesn't really show up on the site. You just need to make sure you click through from ebates.ca from start to finish. Any copy/pasting of links or using non-ebates promo codes could invalidate the ebates. Also, don't use adblock.

edit: make sure you use ebates.CA, not .com

Oh by the way, we also have Pokemon X & Y, NBA 2K14 and Beyond: Two Souls which you can also use the promos on :)

DaBoss

It's a good game with glaring flaws, with the biggest one being the battles dragged out for too long due to obnoxious enemy attack design. The 3rd last boss was terrible in this regard.

The tutorials were the second biggest problems which has been already mentioned.

Those 2 things make it obvious that I won't play it any time soon, so trading it in to get Pokemon is a helluva deal.

Takuan

I noticed on BestBuy's site that the trade 1 for Pokemony X/Y starts today? Do they mean midnight launch or something? I'll totally trade in Mario 3D Land for Pokemon Y. I can always pick that up later. Of course, if I can find eligible trades for ~$20 with minimal effort, I'm down for that as well.

Its back to 20% (checked ebates.ca and confirmed with coworker who handles the ebates stuff)

I haven't used ebates personally, but from what I've read and heard from other people, it doesn't really show up on the site. You just need to make sure you click through from ebates.ca from start to finish. Any copy/pasting of links or using non-ebates promo codes could invalidate the ebates. Also, don't use adblock.

edit: make sure you use ebates.CA, not .com
Thanks, just put in an order. I used ShopEbates for $10 off and the $25 sign-up bonus.

Is it really? My coupon still said 20%. I guess I'll know in a bit. $500 taxes in for Killzone and the extra DS4 is worth it.

Update: Yep, got $98.23 cash pending. Cheque will be sent Feb 15 2014. I can dig it. Final cost is ~$455, not too shabby!

rinse82

Yeah, that's what I did. Ends up being $430 tax-in or something like that. Cheaper than standard bundle.

EDIT: People on RFD are saying ebates is going to reject any cashbacks where promo codes OTHER than ebates promo codes were used on the purchase at shop.CA. That true?

I used a shop.ca code "RM25" or something like that 2 weeks ago. And my cashback has shown up as pending at ebates.ca, so I'm assuming I'm in the clear....

Takuan

Yeah, that's what I did. Ends up being $430 tax-in or something like that. Cheaper than standard bundle.

EDIT: People on RFD are saying ebates is going to reject any cashbacks where promo codes OTHER than ebates promo codes were used on the purchase at shop.CA. That true?

I used a shop.ca code "RM25" or something like that 2 weeks ago. And my cashback has shown up as pending at ebates.ca, so I'm assuming I'm in the clear....

That makes no sense, because they're paying out less if you're using other promo codes... lol

But damn, I wouldn't have minded another $25 off. Too bad I already used my shop.ca sign-up credit. A good deal all the same.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Top Bottom