• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 3: Pining for the Good Old Days Edition

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Hah! Just got the same thing in today. At least I was able to give the UPS guy my credit card when my concierge called (though that in itself is a little sketchy). Now to continue sucking get better at fighting games!
I really hope Capcom and Namco continue supporting PS3 Madcatz sticks on PS4, or this will turn out to be a big mistake. lol

Dazzler

I visited Toronto back in April and I loved it. Genuinely can't understand why so many people from there leave to go west, then shit on the place

Seemed like an amazing city to me

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Vancouver

it's a pretty expensive process. 1,500 bucks all in, but obviously worth it
wtf!? damn wife can stay a permanent resident for that price!

I visited Toronto back in April and I loved it. Genuinely can't understand why so many people from there leave to go west, then shit on the place

Seemed like an amazing city to me

tumblr_m9en10uqX41qit8aco3_500.gif

*except for the TTC

Anyone know if theres gonna be some ps4 games on sale anytime soon? wanna pick up just dance 2014 for my daughter but 59.99$ is ridiculous for that.(allready bought her the ps camera for christmas also.

I should have picked that free copy from the Uplay thing for you (if I knew!)... they had copies for days and days... Might actually happen again next week!

Just paid the final chunk of my Permanent Residency fees for Canada, CanadaGAF bros.

Feels good man

Hopefully get the final thumbs up early in the new year

Welcome to Canada, where are you coming from? I was you 8 years ago, now I am a fully fledged Canadian Citizen. You'll love it here, best country ever.

Dazzler

Welcome to Canada, where are you coming from? I was you 8 years ago, now I am a fully fledged Canadian Citizen. You'll love it here, best country ever.

I'm from Ireland

I've lived in Vancouver since 2009, it's just taken me a while to get going on my residency application haha

Just wanted to say, UPS customs fees are fucking terrible.
Those aren't "Customs" fees - those are BROKERAGE fees, which means you've paid UPS that much money to fill out a miniscule amount of paper work that would have taken you about 10 minutes to complete if you could do it yourself...

I think that - technically - they are supposed to give you the option to do it yourself; you can tell them to leave the package at customs and you'll act as your own broker, but the process is pretty oblique and problematic from arm's length...

Canada Post actually charges a very reasonable brokerage fee - it's a flat $5 if I remember correctly, which is something I pay gladly for the service. UPS charges a percentage of the declared value, like a tax or customs charge, and many people think that the Government has something to do with it, when in fact, it's just UPS gouging their customers for as much money as they possibly can...

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Those aren't "Customs" fees - those are BROKERAGE fees, which means you've paid UPS that much money to fill out a miniscule amount of paper work that would have taken you about 10 minutes to complete if you could do it yourself...

I think that - technically - they are supposed to give you the option to do it yourself; you can tell them to leave the package at customs and you'll act as your own broker, but the process is pretty oblique and problematic from arm's length...

Canada Post actually charges a very reasonable brokerage fee - it's a flat $5 if I remember correctly, which is something I pay gladly for the service. UPS charges a percentage of the declared value, like a tax or customs charge, and many people think that the Government has something to do with it, when in fact, it's just UPS gouging their customers for as much money as they possibly can...

Oh, I know. It's just easier to say customs fee.
You can do it yourself if you basically live near the crossing (since you need to do it in person) and I've read about it, but it's not really worth it unless you are getting a big package.

Canada Post is 10 bucks now, which shocked me when I first got it, but hey... 10 < whatever UPS charges.

Is it a uPlay code or a PS4 code? I got an email, but it wasn't address to me and it contained a uPlay code I have no idea what to do with. :(

It's a PSN code, I just got my Just Dance 2014 code and it redeems on PS4 just fine. The email was nondescript (didn't even mention what I'd won or what platform it was for), but the UPlay page it points you to for the instructions mention that you redeem the code directly on PSN if you got a PS4 code. It's weird.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
My email was titled "Redeem Your Prize" and looked like this:
Hi xxxxxxxx (a uplay name that is clearly not mine)

Congratulations! You've redeemed an exclusive Uplay™ Reward.

Below is your reward key which you can redeem for an exclusive prize at the Uplay Shop!

:(

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Mine was worded the sameway but it was a PSN code for the Seasons Pass. Guess they are all worded that way but yours you should be able to redeem on the PSN Shop no issues.
Fuck, I don't even know who to call for help. I guess I'll go through the forums again. :(

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member

You'd need to know what to declare it as. So unless you know the HS code for it, you might get lost doing it. Additionally, I know some places force you to use a company to clear the package.

Fuck, I don't even know who to call for help. I guess I'll go through the forums again. :(

I honestly think you're fine. My email also had the "Congratulations! You've redeemed an exclusive Uplay™ Reward. Below is your reward key which you can redeem for an exclusive prize at the Uplay Shop!" wording and it was actually a PSN code. I'm not even that concerned about the fact that it wasn't YOUR Uplay username; if it is in fact some random Ubisoft intern sending the emails, they may have just forgotten to paste in the right username. Try it out on PSN first to see what it is (I think you have the option of seeing what the code does before accepting but I forget).

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I honestly think you're fine. My email also had the "Congratulations! You've redeemed an exclusive Uplay&#8482; Reward. Below is your reward key which you can redeem for an exclusive prize at the Uplay Shop!" wording and it was actually a PSN code. I'm not even that concerned about the fact that it wasn't YOUR Uplay username; if it is in fact some random Ubisoft intern sending the emails, they may have just forgotten to paste in the right username. Try it out on PSN first to see what it is (I think you have the option of seeing what the code does before accepting but I forget).

The problem is that it's not a PSN code, it's a random uPlay code that I have no idea how to use.

Edit: Ubisoft has a phone number, but it's basically hidden and is a local number in North Carolina. That and it took like 20 minutes to speak to someone. Now I hope this comes through. :(

(I do think it's a bit silly that Ubisoft has a toll-free Canadian number, but that it is for French users only.)

Sober

Hmm. I'm quite tempted for the "TRU: Buy 1, get 1 at 40% OFF all video games". SM3D World is the only game I'm interested at the moment.
Oh, tempting, but I'm not sure what to get alongside Mario 3D LAND. Maybe I'll buy Blackgate or something (really only have 3DS for an option). Kinda wish the TRU nearby carried SMT4 or something. Also their website sucks so they don't list ANY games.

Dunlop

Sweeet! I just got my cashback from ebates.ca through my paypal account :D

Was it what you were supposed to get?

I got $4.80 which would be great if it wasn't supposed to be $102.83 from the shop.ca PS4 bundle!!

edit: nvm someone on rfd figured it out It was a delayed e-mail about a cashback adjustment that happened weeks ago

The problem is that it's not a PSN code, it's a random uPlay code that I have no idea how to use.

Edit: Ubisoft has a phone number, but it's basically hidden and is a local number in North Carolina. That and it took like 20 minutes to speak to someone. Now I hope this comes through. :(

(I do think it's a bit silly that Ubisoft has a toll-free Canadian number, but that it is for French users only.)

This is how mine was, plugged into PSN and was fine.

k28cz85.png

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Got a similar email and the code is 9 digits long, no spaces. It's definitely not a PSN code and I'm stuck like you, have zero idea where or how to redeem it.
This is their tech support number:

(919) 460-9778
Monday-Friday
9am-Midnight EST

I don't know if it'll do anything, but we don't really have many other options at the moment. And hopefully if they get a couple of calls about this, it'll get escalated faster.

This is how mine was, plugged into PSN and was fine.

http://i.imgur.com/k28cz85.png[img][/quote]
Yeah, I got that too. It was just not my name and some kind of uplay specific code that has nothing to do with PSN.

I did, and maybe it's one of those coupons. But even then, the fact that it's someone else's name is messed up.
That, and of course, you guys getting your games.

Ah, sorry I missed the wrong name part of your post. Now my guess is that person who was sending the codes copy/pasted the wrong thing.

Om3ga

The stick from Namco actually. 60 dollar stick, 43 dollar fees. FML.

You really must feel like Major Nelson at this point. lol
I hope the stress isn't killing you!

Edit: does that mean they'll go out on the 9th and that we'll receive them on the 10th?

The only good thing now is that they are finally using UPS stores. Even if you have to pay 5 dollars for the privilege of them holding a package for you.

You'd think the driver would want the money. :p

Sorry man. At least most of the companies that export in Japan use EMS now.
People hate Canada Post but hey, 10 dollar flat fee on any package regardless of value. Thank you!
Next time just refuse the package and tell them you want to clear it yourself. It's a little bit more legwork, but you get to save some money.

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/way-avoid-outrageous-ups-fedex-brokerage-fees-1175703/ I know there was a better thread, but I can't find it atm.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Next time just refuse the package and tell them you want to clear it yourself. It's a little bit more legwork, but you get to save some money.

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/way-a...-fees-1175703/ I know there was a better thread, but I can't find it atm.
Yeah, I searched and saw a similar thread. The problem is, unless it's changed, that you have to do it in person. It costs 30 bucks for me to go into Toronto anyway, so at that point it's already a push.

Did you do the thing about having a discount in the UPlay shop?

I did that and I think that's the key.
I think I'm just worried because people got their actual games. And even then, if it was actually addressed to me, I wouldn't be all that worried.

Ah, sorry I missed the wrong name part of your post. Now my guess is that person who was sending the codes copy/pasted the wrong thing.
Which would be really, really dumb. Because I'm sure if that other guy got my email, he just got a free copy of AC4 and I'm screwed. :p

Jinto

Waiting on my Zelda guide box set from Amazon, which was supposed to be delivered yesterday. I just got home and check my UPS tracking and it says "Emergency conditions beyond UPS' control." What the? Anyone get this before? It's cold here in Edmonton, but the weather isn't so bad that you can't drive and deliver a package. Maybe it's something else?

Top Bottom