• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 3: Pining for the Good Old Days Edition

khaaan

PSN still charges me taxes last time I tried for sure.

I think it makes sense to charge taxes on PS+ cards since...well...you're buying something.

What really sucks is paying taxes on point cards since PSN will still charge you taxes on your PSN purchases so you basically pay taxes twice. That's a fucking ripoff.

What? Really? I've never been taxed on anything involving PSN. Not the PS+ memberships, not the wallet cards and definitely not the games.

Megasoum

Banned
What? Really? I've never been taxed on anything involving PSN. Not the PS+ memberships, not the wallet cards and definitely not the games.

I haven't bought PSN games in a little while but I've definitly been charged taxes in the past... I remember because I would buy a 20$ card in store and it wasn't enough to buy a 19.99$ game. Fucking sucks...

Edit: I'm in Québec btw... can't remember if they were charging the federal tax, provincial tax or both.

Magnus

I think it makes sense to charge taxes on PS+ cards since...well...you're buying something.

What really sucks is paying taxes on point cards since PSN will still charge you taxes on your PSN purchases so you basically pay taxes twice. That's a fucking ripoff.

Are they charging tax on point cards? I can fully appreciate the ripoff there now, yeah. Maybe they came to the reasoning in your second paragraph and realized the sub probably should have tax on it. :(

Magnus

You've never been charged online during the actual game purchase? ( Regardless of how you obtained the digital dollars to buy it)

Megasoum

Banned
Are they charging tax on point cards? I can fully appreciate the ripoff there now, yeah. Maybe they came to the reasoning in your second paragraph and realized the sub probably should have tax on it. :(

Yup I just checked and Amazon charges tax on 20$ PSN cards.

lupinko

I missed out on luigis mansion 2 at one target, I'll check another I guess, maybe.

Got two 32gb sdhc lexar class 10s, ps3 dragons crown, and Sly 4 along with ML Dream Team.

I'm about done.

Jinto

Just finished my Boxing day shopping. Went to pick up a couple PS Plus cards, and some 3ds games for my niece. Ended up buying a whole bunch of games and a whack of other stuff, including those pillows. Thanks, isny for posting that, btw. I'm so weak. Shoulda left my cards at home.

Regarding the PS Plus cards. I picked up 3 of them at FS. They were ringing up at regular price. The sales person seemed a little lost at first, but since I was buying a lot of stuff, they didn't really give me too much trouble.

Endy MacK

The last time that I was charged tax on a PSN purchase was in March, 2011 (I just checked). I purchase regularly from the PSN store, and I have never been charged tax since then on anything from games to PS+ memberships. I'm in Ontario, BTW.
Also, I did just pay tax on the Amazon PS+ cards.

Zing

Banned
My target messed up their prices. Mario 3D World is marked and scanning at full price. They are manually adjusting, but it means no one seems to be hoarding it. There were plenty of copies.

Also, they had 3D Land marked at $15 instead of dream team. Again, plenty of Dream Team in stock due to this. Every other sale game was gone.

I slept in until 6:30! right through my alarm!

Thankfully though boxing day really sucked this year. Even arriving at BB half an hour late I was able to grab Zelda Wind Waker and Sonic & Allstar Racing, and Crysis 3 grabbed my eye for $9.99 as I was standing in line at the checkout, so I went for it since I enjoyed the last version. Wind Waker was on a feature kiosk at the store entrance so I initially missed it (the section near the main games was bare). I asked an employee if they had any copies and they actually said no, so I had to hunt around for them.

Wii U truly is dead in the average comsumer's eyes though. BB had a nice little pyramid of the Mario Bros Console bundle - only 1 or 2 were even touched by 7:00am. Such an insane deal but no one cares...

Walmart turned out to be the biggest scammers this year. I really wanted Rayman Legends, but they didn't have a single game for any console in stock. That's just bad business practice. I promptly left the store since nothing else remotely interested me. Actually, very few stores had any copies of Rayman left. I wonder if they have stopped shipping it since it bombed at retail? Anyone know? I asume a price drop should follow in the next few months though, so no biggie...

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Amazon taxes PlayStation cards. The sunny network itself doesn't charge taxes on digital stuff.

The Mac's Milk at the corner didn't tax charge any taxes when I made my last PSN card purchase there just last week, so I don't know why Amazon started.

flkraven

Walmart turned out to be the biggest scammers this year. I really wanted Rayman Legends, but they didn't have a single game for any console in stock. That's just bad business practice. I promptly left the store since nothing else remotely interested me. Actually, very few stores had any copies of Rayman left. I wonder if they have stopped shipping it since it bombed at retail? Anyone know? I asume a price drop should follow in the next few months though, so no biggie...

Rayman Legend's has been mispriced at most Wal-Mart's for weeks, hence the no stock. I grabbed it for $19 from them a week and a half ago.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
PS+ Playstation Plus on Amazon.ca for 29.99 free shipping

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00FJ4CDGQ/

well fuck...would rather have done this than get it from thesource...

I chose in store pick up (stupid me) and there's a 3-5 day wait period since they have to activate it from head office and THEN ship it to the store. I just called the one a few blocks to me to see if I could just pick them up and he gave me all the info above...I guess I could technically cancel and then pick up, but eh, I can wait. This will be the 6th year I've bought so I'm good til pretty much 2020.

ohlawd

I saw a couple people picking up the NSMBU + NSLU box. Most of the focus was obviously on the PS4 and Xbox One. One of the first things people did is ask if they got any in stock.

I let my friend browse the shelves at BB while I stuck around the Wii U kiosk playing The Wonderful 101 because you know, it's my duty as a video game fan to show off a fucking amazing game like TW101 to errbody.

Some dude asked me about the game and stuff, thought that was cool. People were watching so I hope this game sells a bit extra.

big_z

got 3d land, luigi mansions and Mario kart 7 at target. dream team isn't on sale but imo 3d land is a huge win instead since it never goes cheap. was going to get nsmb2 as well but decided to skip since I heard its mediocre. kind of kicking myself a bit now, for $15 its worth it right?

might go and price match dream team with the target flyer. maybe i'll get Mario 2 then as well.

Jinto

got 3d land, luigi mansions and Mario kart 7 at target. dream team isn't on sale but imo 3d land is a huge win instead since it never goes cheap. was going to get nsmb2 as well but decided to skip since I heard its mediocre. kind of kicking myself a bit now, for $15 its worth it right?

might go and price match dream team with the target flyer. maybe i'll get Mario 2 then as well.

Yeah, I picked up Luigi's Mansion, Mario Kart 7, and Dream Team. They did adjust the price for Dream Team for me. I didn't have to do anything, since the guy in front of me was buying pretty much the same thing, so he did all the dirty work.

Endy MacK

Damn, I wasn't even aware that Best Buy had Wind Waker for $30, and I was just there this morning! Also, just bought my Wii U NSMB bundle today. Wind Waker now sold out online, is there any way to get Amazon.ca to price match?

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
I saw a couple people picking up the NSMBU + NSLU box. Most of the focus was obviously on the PS4 and Xbox One. One of the first things people did is ask if they got any in stock.

I let my friend browse the shelves at BB while I stuck around the Wii U kiosk playing The Wonderful 101 because you know, it's my duty as a video game fan to show off a fucking amazing game like TW101 to errbody.

Some dude asked me about the game and stuff, thought that was cool. People were watching so I hope this game sells a bit extra.

Haha nice, I do the same whenever I walk by the Wii U kiosk. Shame the demo is so limited, prevents me from pulling off the really flashy stuff.

Nintendo needs to hire us asap

Roto13

For some reason, people in Ontario don't get charged tax on the PSN Store.

But stores still aren't supposed to charge tax on PSN cards.

farisr

For some reason, people in Ontario don't get charged tax on the PSN Store.

But stores still aren't supposed to charge tax on PSN cards.

I get charged tax on the PSN store and I'm in Toronto. Only thing tax hasn't been charged for so far was a PS+ subscription. Any other sort of purchase, like a game or DLC, there is a tax.

And yeah, stores are not supposed to charge tax on PSN cards.

Roto13

I get charged tax on the PSN store and I'm in Toronto. Only thing tax hasn't been charged for so far was a PS+ subscription. Any other sort of purchase, like a game or DLC, tax is charged.

Do you have your PSN account address set to Alberta or something? :p

KLonso

I get charged tax on the PSN store and I'm in Toronto. Only thing tax hasn't been charged for so far was a PS+ subscription. Any other sort of purchase, like a game or DLC, there is a tax.

That's odd. I live in Toronto and I've never been charged tax on PSN

Is Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate for the 3DS worth $14.99? I played the demo and mildly enjoyed it, but I was wondering if it's even worth picking up. I'm not really interested in the other 3DS games on sale at Best Buy since I've played/own most of the ones on sale =/.
I think so... in fact, I really enjoyed it, but I had a lot of fun with Batman Arkham Origins Blackgate too, so maybe I've just got bad taste... I've played all the other 2D Castlevanias from NES to PSP and I love the series, but though Mirror of Fate is a re-design at a fundamental level, I still love the settings and tropes... I paid full price for it and didn't regret buying it at all. In fact, I'm putting it on my top 10 games for 2013 list in that thread...

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
I think so... in fact, I really enjoyed it, but I had a lot of fun with Batman Arkham Origins Blackgate too, so maybe I've just got bad taste... I've played all the other 2D Castlevanias from NES to PSP and I love the series, but though Mirror of Fate is a re-design at a fundamental level, I still love the settings and tropes... I paid full price for it and didn't regret buying it at all. In fact, I'm putting it on my top 10 games for 2013 list in that thread...

Does it come with a Club Nintendo code? I'll definitely grab it if that's the case (need to catch up before LoS2 and I need coins for the Luigi statue)

Jinto

I'm trying to redeem the PS Plus I just picked up from FS, but I keep getting an error. E-82000102. I tried googling the answer, but all I could find was to sign in and out of psn. It didn't work. Does this mean that the person at Future Shop forgot to activate it? Anyone know what's going on?

Lexxism

I'm trying to redeem the PS Plus I just picked up from FS, but I keep getting an error. E-82000102. I tried googling the answer, but all I could find was to sign in and out of psn. It didn't work. Does this mean that the person at Future Shop forgot to activate it? Anyone know what's going on?

Maybe PSN is having a network issue? That's probably the reason why you keep on getting an error

Magnus

Got resident evil anthology for 15$ at WM

Has RE 4, 5, veronica and 6!

Omg. I need this.

How were the PS3 versions of all the games? I had 4 and 5 on my 360 but have since sold the system.

Walmart?

I can't find a trace of it on their site. :(

Also, does it actually have Veronica? I thought just the 360 version had that (but no 1-3).

Fularu

Banned
Omg. I need this.

How were the PS3 versions of all the games? I had 4 and 5 on my 360 but have since sold the system.

Walmart?

I can't find a trace of it on their site. :(

Also, does it actually have Veronica? I thought just the 360 version had that (but no 1-3).
I should have specified that it was the 360 version sorry :/

Futureshop has umvc3 Vita for 9.99

iphys

Does it come with a Club Nintendo code? I'll definitely grab it if that's the case (need to catch up before LoS2 and I need coins for the Luigi statue)

It was supposed to be worth 40 coins, but mine didn't include a code, and supposedly they didn't include them for anyone in Canada. I tried contacting Club Nintendo and Konami, and they never did anything to get the coins added for me.

Oneself

I haven't bought PSN games in a little while but I've definitly been charged taxes in the past... I remember because I would buy a 20$ card in store and it wasn't enough to buy a 19.99$ game. Fucking sucks...

Edit: I'm in Québec btw... can't remember if they were charging the federal tax, provincial tax or both.

I'm also in Qc, using the Qc PSNstore and they stopped charging me taxes over a year ago. I think it was when the store got redesigned. Lucky me?

Top Bottom