• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 3: Pining for the Good Old Days Edition

MesH

Why is it so fucking hard to find a copy of Skyward sword, one local store has a used copy for 75 bucks. Come on Nintendo, where is the greatest hits version already, serve these loser right and all the ebay sellers too.

MesH

Nothing online or local from any of those, only option is amazon and it is from an ouitside vendor, not sold and shipped by amazon.

evanmisha

Why is it so fucking hard to find a copy of Skyward sword, one local store has a used copy for 75 bucks. Come on Nintendo, where is the greatest hits version already, serve these loser right and all the ebay sellers too.

Grabbed one from Shoppers Drug Mart back in... October? 20$

EDIT: Also got Pokemon White and Super Mario Galaxy 2 for the same price.

Anth0ny

I've seen it in EB Games bargain bins for $14.99

I don't seem to have any trouble finding it at stores like Wal-Mart and EB Games here in Winnipeg. I know I haven't seen it at Future Shop or Best Buy in a while, though.

J-Man

This $5 dollar increase is a trend I'm not liking. I also don't know if I appreciate that it's a slow creep up rather than just a bandaid pull either, at least it it happened accross the board I'd be aware that it's just the current reality we face, and not just a game by game change.

The price increase will make me more vigilantly read this thread looking for deals!

I also hope there is still an E3 mega pre-order sales extraveganza thing at futureshop. I missed it the first year they did it, but loved it this past year. I still have many of the games I'm interested (that's announced) coming, like Metal Gear and Infamous. I feel those games won't be affected because they were part of a sales promotion... right guys &gals?

Ondore

I think I might've preordered a game out of spite for the price increase. (FWIW, Watch Dogs WiiU is actually $5 off right now at Amazon.)

Where do you live? It's available used in 16 Gamestops within 50km of me for $39.

I am in Vancouver.

Oh, I don't care about used games, only checked the new copies. ;p
I'd only get it for collection purposes as I'd rather wait for the HD remake.

EDIT: Pre-played ones are available online but, again, out-of-stock within 100 miles radius when I use the store stock tracker.

i-Jest

Off topic but HAS ANYONE SEEN THE NEW CASTLEVANIA LORDS OF SHADOW 2 TRAILER? Preordered until further notice!

My GAWD, the level of voice acting in that game....

EDIT:

hoho.
Dark Souls 2 just went up to 65$ at BB and FS.

I'mma check if they changed my pre-order price.

Oh man, I literally just preordered that yesterday. Hope I dodged a bullet

Jesus fuck

Price matching with amazon.ca

Had my shit preordered back in November when FS had that % off online deal. I won't be paying full price for any of the games I want this year.

The pre-order price would hold, no? I pre-ordered Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze at $49.99 a day before the price went up to $54.99 and the change in price is not reflected in my order when I check it.

In the last two days I've pre-ordered five games each at $59.99 with the frame of mind that near release when the game's price is raised to $64.99, I'll be saving the $5 due to pre-ordering it early enough.

Is this not the right way to go about this? Or am I living in a fantasy world and doing this wrong?

zroid

Banned
The pre-order price would hold, no? I pre-ordered Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze at $49.99 a day before the price went up to $54.99 and the change in price is not reflected in my order when I check it.

In the last two days I've pre-ordered five games each at $59.99 with the frame of mind that near release when the game's price is raised to $64.99, I'll be saving the $5 due to pre-ordering it early enough.

Is this not the right way to go about this? Or am I living in a fantasy world and doing this wrong?

If you're talking about BB/FS (online) then you're correct. I'm almost positive they will not charge you more than the amount you pre-ordered it at.

If you're talking about BB/FS (online) then you're correct. I'm almost positive they will not charge you more than the amount you pre-ordered it at.

Yes, this was all done online at Best Buy. That's great news. Looks like there's going to be a whole lot of pre-ordering going on in the next couple of days.

That extra $5 saved per game will sure add up over the course of a year. In the least, the amount saved will be enough to buy another game or two.

Thanks for the reply!

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Yes, this was all done online at Best Buy. That's great news. Looks like there's going to be a whole lot of pre-ordering going on in the next couple of days.

That extra $5 saved per game will sure add up over the course of a year. In the least, the amount saved will be enough to buy another game or two.

Thanks for the reply!

Or stick with your backlog while waiting for the E3 sales. At most, preorder a game or two which you absolutely must have on release day.

Maybe this is all part of the plan. No one buys games for $60 so lets raise the prices by $5-$10 which will lead everyone to think $60 is an absolute bargain.

Or stick with your backlog while waiting for the E3 sales. At most, preorder a game or two which you absolutely must have on release day.

Maybe this is all part of the plan. No one buys games for $60 so lets raise the prices by $5-$10 which will lead everyone to think $60 is an absolute bargain.

Rarely do I have a backlog, so the games that I am pre-ordering are ones that I know I would like to have on release day.

This may all come back to bite me in the ass, yes, but I prefer having the peace of mind rather than holding out for something that may or may not happen.

I would imagine the price increase has something to do with our dollar sliding. Game sales at $60 in Canada are healthy, no?

Anth0ny

Had my shit preordered back in November when FS had that % off online deal. I won't be paying full price for any of the games I want this year.

Well my original plan was to buy the Steam version the second it was released.

Unfortunately, I couldn't predict that the LEAD PLATFORM version of the game wouldn't be released on the same day as the console versions, and may even be months later. fuck.

lupin23rd

This may be a question better answered Friday afternoon, but has anyone seen Tomb Raider available in EB already here in the cold north?

Wonder if street dates will be broken up here as well...

isny

napkin dispenser
I am in Vancouver.

Oh, I don't care about used games, only checked the new copies. ;p
I'd only get it for collection purposes as I'd rather wait for the HD remake.

EDIT: Pre-played ones are available online but, again, out-of-stock within 100 miles radius when I use the store stock tracker.

This looks like an opportunity. I'd maybe be willing to sell my LE copy with soundtrack. PM me.

Quick Question: will you get the Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD remaster limited edition if you pre-order it from amazon.ca, or will you only get the regular edition? I've been thinking about dropping my pre-order from ebgames due to the price increase, but I wasn't sure if all pre-orders were upgrades to the limited edition, no matter the retailer, or if the limited edition was separate from the regular edition, and amazon just weren't accepting orders for the limited edition.

Vibranium

Banned
I hope Walmart don't jack their prices up on games, I've been vigilantly watching their site over the last few days.

I need somewhere to buy my 3DS games after all, I don't want to order those online.

Apathy

It's getting harder and harder to find physical Vita games in Toronto. Been having a rough time looking for Dragon's Crown from the big box places and forget about Metal Gear Solid HD and Muramasa Rebirth, I'm going to have to get those digitally.

Dazzler

Seems like my local FS in Vancouver isn't really restocking their Vita section at all. Once a game is gone, it's gone for good

I used to do the games ordering for HMV Robson back in the day and I used to have to beg and borrow games from smaller stores to restock our selection because managers were so clueless about games. We'd get one batch of each new release, and once they were gone we wouldn't get anymore in unless it was COD or FIFA or a big seller like that

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
It's getting harder and harder to find physical Vita games in Toronto. Been having a rough time looking for Dragon's Crown from the big box places and forget about Metal Gear Solid HD and Muramasa Rebirth, I'm going to have to get those digitally.

? Not that they're all over the place, but I find the Best Buy at Bay/Dundas usually has what I need along with EBGames (bleh). Otherwise, why not just order from Amazon or digital?

Apathy

? Not that they're all over the place, but I find the Best Buy at Bay/Dundas usually has what I need along with EBGames (bleh). Otherwise, why not just order from Amazon or digital?

I was at the Bay and Dundas Best Buy today, for vita games all they had were Batman, Soul Sacrifice, Lego and I want to say Killzone, but yeah, their stock has dwindled. And I'll probably buy them digitally because EB was charging 45.99 for Dragon's Crown. Paying the exchange rate on PSN will come out cheaper.

i-Jest

I was at the Bay and Dundas Best Buy today, for vita games all they had were Batman, Soul Sacrifice, Lego and I want to say Killzone, but yeah, their stock has dwindled. And I'll probably buy them digitally because EB was charging 45.99 for Dragon's Crown. Paying the exchange rate on PSN will come out cheaper.

Dragon's Crown is still 39.99 on BB website but it's most likely cheaper digital.

Fularu

Banned

FS/BB have been clearancing most of their Vita games.

the last few that remains will probably be sold until there's no more stock. I'm waiting on KZ/DC/SS to be clearanced within a few weeks.

i-Jest

Yeah, that too

The only Vita game I paid regular price is Ys CE. The rest? Never more than 9.97 and I have 18 Vita games (physical ones)

Have you seen UMvC3 or Street Fighter x Tekken on clearance? I'm looking to add those.

Fularu

Banned
Have you seen UMvC3 or Street Fighter x Tekken on clearance? I'm looking to add those.

SFvsT is on clearance for 12$ at Target (and most of them seem to still carry it). It's also 9.97 at BB/FS if you can find it

UMvC3 I got the last one from my store, but if you look at the used games section, you should be able to find a copy for 4.99

Jachaos

Amazon vita bundle - nice deal. $200 for 2 games, 8 GB memory and a case. Rumor has it the slim model will be out here soon, so if you want a vita with an OLED screen...jump on it.

http://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00GSIAFB2/

Hm... Ideally all I'd want is a Vita and a 16GB card. Do these games have pretty good trade-in value ? I'm tempted by a Vita and want the OLED before the LCD arrives. The games I'd probably install are OlliOlli, Hotline Miami, Uncharted, Wipeout, Gravity Rush, Persona 4 Golden, Flower and might get Tearaway. All this totals to less than 16GB apparently so I guess I'd be fine with a card that size and delete Uncharted or Wipeout if need be. If I can get a 16GB for the 8GB, CoD and Golf it'd start to be pretty attractive.

Fularu

Banned
Hm... Ideally all I'd want is a Vita and a 16GB card. Do these games have pretty good trade-in value ? I'm tempted by a Vita and want the OLED before the LCD arrives. The games I'd probably install are OlliOlli, Hotline Miami, Uncharted, Wipeout, Gravity Rush, Persona 4 Golden, Flower and might get Tearaway. All this totals to less than 16GB apparently so I guess I'd be fine with a card that size and delete Uncharted or Wipeout if need be. If I can get a 16GB for the 8GB, CoD and Golf it'd start to be pretty attractive.

They were both clearanced for 9.97 by FS and BB the past few weeks.

So not really.

Top Bottom