• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 3: Pining for the Good Old Days Edition

Apathy

FS/BB have been clearancing most of their Vita games.

the last few that remains will probably be sold until there's no more stock. I'm waiting on KZ/DC/SS to be clearanced within a few weeks.

Think I should hold off on DC then to see if it does go on clearance?

Fularu

Banned
Think I should hold off on DC then to see if it does go on clearance?

Unless you absolutely want it now, I would wait.

Dragon's Crown is available in both Best Buy's and all 3 Futureshops in my town, it's also available online so it's a matter of time.

Then again it's an Atlus game, so maybe they won't clearance it.

The Sony games though? Yeah, that's definitely getting clearanced.

Gxgear

Hm... Ideally all I'd want is a Vita and a 16GB card. Do these games have pretty good trade-in value ? I'm tempted by a Vita and want the OLED before the LCD arrives. The games I'd probably install are OlliOlli, Hotline Miami, Uncharted, Wipeout, Gravity Rush, Persona 4 Golden, Flower and might get Tearaway. All this totals to less than 16GB apparently so I guess I'd be fine with a card that size and delete Uncharted or Wipeout if need be. If I can get a 16GB for the 8GB, CoD and Golf it'd start to be pretty attractive.

If you're getting a Vita do yourself a favour and get a 32gb card (unless you're waiting for 64gb). There's enough free games on PS+ to fill a 16gb, and then some.

Apathy

Unless you absolutely want it now, I would wait.

Dragon's Crown is available in both Best Buy's and all 3 Futureshops in my town, it's also available online so it's a matter of time.

Then again it's an Atlus game, so maybe they won't clearance it.

The Sony games though? Yeah, that's definitely getting clearanced.

I can play the waiting game, besides I'll probably buy Muramasa and a PSOne classic digitally so I will have stuff to play

zroid

Banned
Tried to pre order mgs ground zeroes in person at fs Robson and ask for price match but they said they don't match for pre orders?

yeah because you don't actually pay for the game when you pre-order, you're just making a deposit. you can pre-order and then do a PM when you pick the game up though. assuming the place you're PMing (amazon?) hasn't raised the price by then.

there's a chance you might be able to get away with PMing an online pre-order. technically I don't think they're supposed to do it, but people have been successful in the past.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
I was at the Bay and Dundas Best Buy today, for vita games all they had were Batman, Soul Sacrifice, Lego and I want to say Killzone, but yeah, their stock has dwindled. And I'll probably buy them digitally because EB was charging 45.99 for Dragon's Crown. Paying the exchange rate on PSN will come out cheaper.
Damn...they did have a bit (yes, not a great amount) when I was there a month ago...

Poor Vita :(

Fularu

Banned
Still lives in the digital realm, but my 32gb card is getting full fast. I really hope we get the 64gb cards soon.

Maybe with the new model but I doubt it. I mean, PSVita sales have been absolutely dreadfull worldwide, it's prety much a lost cause for Sony.

If you're getting a Vita do yourself a favour and get a 32gb card (unless you're waiting for 64gb). There's enough free games on PS+ to fill a 16gb, and then some.

I have an 8GB along with an unopened 32GB, and I can fully stand behind this advice. 32 is practically necessary if you have PS+.

Jachaos

They were both clearanced for 9.97 by FS and BB the past few weeks.

So not really.

I have an 8GB along with an unopened 32GB, and I can fully stand behind this advice. 32 is practically necessary if you have PS+.

Thanks. I still don't know if I'll get a Vita right away. Might wait some more, I just don't want to miss out on the OLED model.

Apathy

Thanks. I still don't know if I'll get a Vita right away. Might wait some more, I just don't want to miss out on the OLED model.

Hell i'm thinking of buying another OLED vita in case mine breaks/gets damaged. Also just bought Muramasa, now gotta hope it doesn't make it into the PS+ games for Feb lol.

Tik-Tok

Went to costco in Kitchener to find a Vita and they were sold out :(. 150 is the sweet spot for that for me otherwise I'd grab the amazon one.

i-Jest

Still lives in the digital realm, but my 32gb card is getting full fast. I really hope we get the 64gb cards soon.

Maybe with the new model but I doubt it. I mean, PSVita sales have been absolutely dreadfull worldwide, it's prety much a lost cause for Sony.

I bit the bullet and bought the 64GB card off Play Asia. When I made the choice to buy a vita I new what I was getting myself into. Maybe someday the 64GB card will come to North America but until then I'll make sure I have enough space for my downloads.

So many Vancouverites! You should come to...

Vancouver-GAF Meetup of no one will show up anyway but let's plan it so we can say we tried

Date: Sat. Feb. 8 (Vancouver at Toronto hockey game at 3:00pm)
Time: 3:00pm (duh)

Attendees:
Lone_Prodigy
Smiley90
Firestorm
Cocaine
The Last Emperor
beat

(Other possible dates if Feb. 8 absolutely does not work)
Sun. Mar. 2 vs Ottawa, 1:00pm (Heritage Classic)
Sat. Mar. 8 vs Calgary, 7:00pm

Sora_N

Anyone looking to preorder Toukiden or whatever Vita games should get it from Best Buy for $39.99 now, I looked at EB's site and they have it at $44.99. Still super annoyed about the price hike.

(I also preordered Conception just in case)

ohlawd

Anyone looking to preorder Toukiden or whatever Vita games should get it from Best Buy for $39.99 now, I looked at EB's site and they have it at $44.99. Still super annoyed about the price hike.

(I also preordered Conception just in case)

shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit I keep flipping back and forth with Toukiden. I love the demo since it's a legit MH clone and not some half assed knock off like Soul Sacrifice and whatever. But I only want it so I can pad out the two weeks while waiting for Danganronpa - comes out on the 14th but I'll probably have it by the end of the month :/

Help a brother decide ;_;

Sora_N

Anyone know if you can buy phones outright at Koodo retail stores? Kind of in a hurry to get something, and can't wait for the shipping.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Why is it so fucking hard to find a copy of Skyward sword, one local store has a used copy for 75 bucks. Come on Nintendo, where is the greatest hits version already, serve these loser right and all the ebay sellers too.

There are two copies at the shoppers next to my work. They are in the $19.99 bin. Would you like me to grab one for you? You pay shipping obviously.
I'm in Lethbridge Alberta

Jinto

Not really gaming related, but what do you guys do with your old, still working, electronics you have no more use for? I'm getting rid of a bunch of my old stuff at my parents' place. Old CRT TV's, stereos etc. I'd rather just get rid of them all at once. Anyone ever sell at a pawn shop before? Otherwise, a good place to donate them would be fine.

Back on topic, I have the Assassin's Creed IV 28" x 48" flag that came with the limited edition to give away. I have no room for it. First person with any interest can have it.

Socreges

Banned
Not really gaming related, but what do you guys do with your old, still working, electronics you have no more use for? I'm getting rid of a bunch of my old stuff at my parents' place. Old CRT TV's, stereos etc. I'd rather just get rid of them all at once. Anyone ever sell at a pawn shop before? Otherwise, a good place to donate them would be fine.

Back on topic, I have the Assassin's Creed IV 28" x 48" flag that came with the limited edition to give away. I have no room for it. First person with any interest can have it.
Depends on the city, I'd imagine. Victoria has a great place where you can specifically recycle electronics. Dunno if that's common. And don't expect pawn shops to take your old electronics.

Jinto

Depends on the city, I'd imagine. Victoria has a great place where you can specifically recycle electronics. Dunno if that's common. And don't expect pawn shops to take your old electronics.

Yeah, it seems like there are a few places in Alberta that recycle electronics. Do these places usually just dispose of them? They all work perfectly fine, so I'd rather they gave it to people who can use them.

Cheerilee

If they're still working, give them to a thrift store. They'll sell them for five bucks, some money will probably go to charity, and some kid moving into his first apartment get some use out of them.

Jinto

If they're still working, give them to a thrift store. They'll sell them for five bucks, some money will probably go to charity, and some kid moving into his first apartment get some use out of them.

I think that's what I'm gonna do. Just load everything on friends truck and bring it to a thrift store on Monday. Thanks!

Cheerilee

Yeah, it seems like there are a few places in Alberta that recycle electronics. Do these places usually just dispose of them? They all work perfectly fine, so I'd rather they gave it to people who can use them.

E-waste gets shipped to whichever third world nation is paid to take it because nobody else wants it, and then poor people cook the tin off of circuit boards to make jewelry for tourists.

VqCb8HP.jpg

MesH

There are two copies at the shoppers next to my work. They are in the $19.99 bin. Would you like me to grab one for you? You pay shipping obviously.
I'm in Lethbridge Alberta

Yes Please, I live in Edmonton, just give me the total with shipping and I will PM my info and paypal you the funds, Thanks man.

QaaQer

E-waste gets shipped to whichever third world nation is paid to take it because nobody else wants it, and then poor people cook the tin off of circuit boards to make jewelry for tourists.

VqCb8HP.jpg

& get the more valuable metals. Some towns in china were poisoned from the lead and mercury, really sad what it did to the children.

pepperzz

So many Vancouverites! You should come to...

Vancouver-GAF Meetup of no one will show up anyway but let's plan it so we can say we tried

Date: Sat. Feb. 8 (Vancouver at Toronto hockey game at 3:00pm)
Time: 3:00pm (duh)

Attendees:
Lone_Prodigy
Smiley90
Firestorm
Cocaine
The Last Emperor
beat

(Other possible dates if Feb. 8 absolutely does not work)
Sun. Mar. 2 vs Ottawa, 1:00pm (Heritage Classic)
Sat. Mar. 8 vs Calgary, 7:00pm

Should be IN Ottawa imo. :(

zedge

You can drop old electronics at Best Buys also. Not sure what they do with them.

Haines

Banned
I need to buy a smart phone today. Any tips? Should I do the contract thing to get one cheaper? Should I go Bell or Rogers?

Im brand new to getting my own phone.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.

I'm interested in this too. Do you by any chance know a place in Vancouver where I can recycle? I have an old laptop I've been holding onto for like 2 years now because I don't know how to dispose of it. :/

Socreges

Banned
I'm interested in this too. Do you by any chance know a place in Vancouver where I can recycle? I have an old laptop I've been holding onto for like 2 years now because I don't know how to dispose of it. :/
Dunno. Check the Internets.

Also worth seeing what exactly happens with the electronics afterwards. Gonna check the one here in Victoria.

http://www.return-it.ca/

Places like Best Buy also have bins where you can recycle small electronics. They also do trade-in programs from time to time (of course they fleece you on the trade value).

evanmisha

Got the last of my Cineplex store items, and all my tickets and Scene points are accounted for. Really hope they do this again next year.

iLLmAtlc

I need to buy a smart phone today. Any tips? Should I do the contract thing to get one cheaper? Should I go Bell or Rogers?

Depends on what kind of offers you are getting for a contract. Personally I always buy them without a contract because it saves more money. Some people will tell you the price difference between contract and non-contract is negligible but the benefit of not getting locked into a contract and not having your phone locked to one carrier (worth $50 to unlock if iPhone, affects resale value) are considerations too IMO.

Also depends on how you feel about data. I'm a cheap bastard and I personally think constant internet access is not worth paying an extra 20-30 on your plan when wifi is everywhere (especially if you goto school). Every McDonald's and Starbucks has wifi now too.

It's been a while since I've looked though, what's the going rate for max data plans these days?

kitzkozan

Got the last of my Cineplex store items, and all my tickets and Scene points are accounted for. Really hope they do this again next year.

Got all of my movie tickets and I'm only missing 2 films. I'm sure that I will eventually get them (still back ordered), so all in all it's been an excellent deal. I will surely order from them again around black friday and boxing day. :^]

Got all of my movie tickets and I'm only missing 2 films. I'm sure that I will eventually get them (still back ordered), so all in all it's been an excellent deal. I will surely order from them again around black friday and boxing day. :^]

Part of me wonders if they'll bother to do this again. Seemed like the sort of thing you do to get people in the door when the store is new (also see: $50 off $100 deal at Shop.ca). Here's hoping, though! I've gotten everything I expect to get from Cineplex, as Summer Wars came in yesterday (not bad, whoever it was that recommended it here)--now it's a waiting game to see if I get that one disc that I really didn't expect them to stock.

Sora_N

Depends if you mind contracts. I think koodo is great if you dont like contract. I'm not a fan of what they charge per month feature wise. However I'm on retention for Bell.

Top Bottom