• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 3: Pining for the Good Old Days Edition

jzbluz

None of the shoppers in my city had a vita. I really hope it's a case of them trying to clear space for 2000, and not them dropping electronics.

big_z

If Shoppers gets rid of electronics or games, I'm pretty much fucked since I have nothing else to spend my points on. :(

if you follow red flag deals youll notice more and more people mentioning not being able to find stores that carry electronics or games anymore even though shoppers advertises deals on those items.

shoppers electronic section has always done poorly so it makes sense to drop it. if youre lucky the points will be converted into PC Points after the loblaw takeover so you can use them at superstore which has a small but far better games section.

i-Jest

Has anybody seen Infamous Second Son CE elsewhere but EB?
I just don't wanna give them my money!

Shop.ca but it sold out. Maybe FS and BB still have preorders up.

EDIT:

Shop.ca has preorders back up. They have the normal limited edition and the LE with a $50 PSN card. I'm tempted but I may just wait.

zroid

Banned
a few stores have a small selection of ps4 games but no consoles. shoppers is dropping games/electronics from many stores so chances of finding one will be slime to none.

Yeah I figured that would be the case. I am hoping I get lucky with one of the larger stores nearby which still have a somewhat sizable electronics department. Whether they actually order any PS4s though...

SickBoy

Shoppers has always been hit and miss on electronics and I think with the new gen it's thrown a lot of inconsistency into it.

My local store only seems to carry Xbox One stuff. But there's another one not too far away that stocks everything and one near my brother in-law's place that has never carried anything.

But most stores without a dedicated area seem to lack much room for games. And even some places that do clearly give it a low priority for merchandisers.

EGM92

For those of you who need cables fast and cheap check out www.cablesonsale.ca/index.php/

I'm not affiliated with the site in any way. They're based out of the GTA. I've used them before and they were great. Was cheaper and quicker than waiting for monoprice. I've purchased a couple of wall mounts and Hdmi cables from them. Shipping for the wall mounts from monoprice cost more than the product itself so I just went to the warehouse and picked it up in person.

DJ_Lae

I still use Monoprice for cables.

I just keep my orders under 4 pounds so I can use the USPS/CP shipping option, save money and not pay duty.

EGM92

I buy HDMI cables from the dollar store.

I'm cheap.

I've used a couple from the dollar store, but they have given me trouble before. After a while the screen would go red, sort of like how a video card that's not properly seated in the socket displays. I've never had a problem with monoprice cables so personally I feel paying a "premium" for a monoprice cable is worth it in my case.

Also have you ever seen any Toslink cables at a dollar store?

I still use Monoprice for cables.

I just keep my orders under 4 pounds so I can use the USPS/CP shipping option, save money and not pay duty.

Same here... I don't mind the added shipping costs. I used their stuff exclusively while I was finishing my basement (Including two 35ft HDMI runs). They have never left me down before, so I stick to what works (for me).

Magnus

There's usually an iTunes/App Store credit deal somewhere, isn't there? $30 for $25, or $50 for $40 or something, si?

I foresee some app purchases this week and wish to save!

Also, do we usually see games launch on the iOS app store in tandem with U.S. releases?

Returners

There's usually an iTunes/App Store credit deal somewhere, isn't there? $30 for $25, or $50 for $40 or something, si?

I foresee some app purchases this week and wish to save!

Also, do we usually see games launch on the iOS app store in tandem with U.S. releases?

Bestbuy has multipack of 60 (4x15) at 55 bucks.

EB did a 40 for 50 once.

Hey Markham-GAF, how quickly do the stores at Pacific Mall get import games? After the insane amount of trouble I've had with Sengoku Basara 4 (UPS and Play-Asia...), I've been thinking about going there for J-Stars Victory VS in March.

mdubs

Banned
Hey Markham-GAF, how quickly do the stores at Pacific Mall get import games? After the insane amount of trouble I've had with Sengoku Basara 4 (UPS and Play-Asia...), I've been thinking about going there for J-Stars Victory VS in March.

I didn't even know there are import stores there, good to know! Planning to import a copy of Valkyria Chronicles 3 but I'll probably check out p mall and see if they have decent selection.

RS4-

It's been a while since I actually got something from them, so I don't know how reliable they are in terms of release dates. But I only know one store that actually imports, whereas the others just sell and secretly mod consoles.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Does anybody know where to get eneloops? Do they come on sale often?
Either on Dell, and sometimes randomly at Shoppers Drug Mart. They're more expensive than they used to be though.

--

On an unrelated question - has anyone ever had luck exchanging a game from an E3 deal for the same game from another platform?
I got grief using a tsilon coupon but managed to get it exchanged as a courtesy, but since the E3 deal was an "official" Futureshop promo, I wonder if I'll get the same trouble?
Otherwise, I guess I'll just return Titanfall and wait for the inevitable sale a half a year later on Origin or where ever.

Gxgear

Either on Dell, and sometimes randomly at Shoppers Drug Mart. They're more expensive than they used to be though.

--

On an unrelated question - has anyone ever had luck exchanging a game from an E3 deal for the same game from another platform?
I got grief using a tsilon coupon but managed to get it exchanged as a courtesy, but since the E3 deal was an "official" Futureshop promo, I wonder if I'll get the same trouble?
Otherwise, I guess I'll just return Titanfall and wait for the inevitable sale a half a year later on Origin or where ever.

YMMV, I've had a similar circumstance with E3 preordered Beyond Two Souls auto upgraded LE swap to regular edition. Need the right CSR.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
YMMV, I've had a similar circumstance with E3 preordered Beyond Two Souls auto upgraded LE swap to regular edition. Need the right CSR.
Well, I guess I'll have to hope to get lucky. Although saving the 45 bucks might be a better move given all the unexpected games coming out.
Thank god for PC gaming - 22 bucks for South Park? Who needs a disc anyway.

(Out of curiosity, why would you swap the CE for the regular edition?)

Shop.ca but it sold out. Maybe FS and BB still have preorders up.

EDIT:

Shop.ca has preorders back up. They have the normal limited edition and the LE with a $50 PSN card. I'm tempted but I may just wait.

I was talking about the Collector's Edition with the beanie and stuff, not just the Limited Edition :)
I found it on Amazon but I'm not sure I wanna deal with UPS and probably get frustrated for days until they manage to deliver!
I might just preorder it in-store at EB :(

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
I thought Pacific Mall was just cell phones and clothes now.
Cell phone accessories, bubble tea shops, Traditional Chinese medicine, glasses, cellphones, candy, and clothing.

Man has that place gone downhill...hoping that new Asian mall to be opened will bring back the glory days of shops that aren't bubble tea places.

Endy MacK

I want to use my Shop.ca rewards towards Second Son. Does anyone know any promo codes that are working right now? I tried the one I used last time: SHOP10, but it doesn't work.

These Canadian price hikes are getting ridiculous. EB Games is selling the Elder Scrolls Online CE for $114.99, when it's $99 in the US.

How does a $60 game go up to $65 in Canada, but a $100 game go up to $115? It's fucking insanity.

(Not that I give a shit about the ESO CE, I'm just saying in general).

i-Jest

These Canadian price hikes are getting ridiculous. EB Games is selling the Elder Scrolls Online CE for $114.99, when it's $99 in the US.

How does a $60 game go up to $65 in Canada, but a $100 game go up to $115? It's fucking insanity.

(Not that I give a shit about the ESO CE, I'm just saying in general).

Dat inflation?

Maximus.

I was able to price match tomb raider for the ps4 using an image off red flags/reddit. The employee didn't question the post and just price matched! Got the last copy and their website said that store didn't have any copies but they had one left.

LMN

Cell phone accessories, bubble tea shops, Traditional Chinese medicine, glasses, cellphones, candy, and clothing.

Man has that place gone downhill...hoping that new Asian mall to be opened will bring back the glory days of shops that aren't bubble tea places.

There is a new Asian mall opening? Is it at the same place?

mdubs

Banned
There is a new Asian mall opening? Is it at the same place?

He means King Square at Woodbine and 16th. It's been under construction for a couple years and it doesn't seem to be making any progress, I wonder if they had problems with it.

i-Jest

I was able to price match tomb raider for the ps4 using an image off red flags/reddit. They employee didn't question the post and just price matched! Got the last copy and they website said that store didn't have any copies but they had one left.

Well congrats!

Sora_N

Futureshop and Best Buy sites should really be fixed. The system is not temporarily unable to process my credit card change request, it's ALWAYS unable to do it. Ugh, I hate calling and waiting like 5 minutes.

EDIT: And Best Buy charged my credit card even though I applied a gift card when I ordered....ugh.

LMN

He means King Square at Woodbine and 16th. It's been under construction for a couple years and it doesn't seem to be making any progress, I wonder if they had problems with it.

Thanks =), that too bad, I was hoping that there would be more game shops that import jp games.

Top Bottom