• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 3: Pining for the Good Old Days Edition

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
Wait, really? I mean I know it's not illegal to buy but I thought it was illegal to sell 'em retail. So why the hell are stores so annoying about this? What about EB Games, don't they also have this policy?

Goddamn this is retarded.

I don't know the exact details but I'm pretty sure all these games are still sold at stores. I think they just have to keep the english-only version behind the counter or something, but I'm not entirely sure.

Thing is, these games can be bought in Quebec. I remember the same thing happening with Kirby Collection not being sold by Futureshop for the same reason, and you could just go at EBgames and buy it (or order it on Amazon, etc.). I guess Futureshop signed an agreement to never sell english-only games or something.

Past

It's not a law but an "agreement" between the government and the ESA. That's why you can still buy unilingual games at EBgames and co. without problem. This is just a case of Futureshop over-reacting / taking absolutely no chances here. It is not illegal to buy english games in Quebec.

I understand your frustration and I'm as angry as you at Futureshop's handling of the situation (they cancelled my Prof Layton pre-order for the same reason), but just make sure you're not spreading mis-information...!

EDIT: And the agreement was made back in 2007. So it's really just Futureshop's policy that changed recently.

Hopefully they ship out the regular version if they can't ship out the LE. If they just straight up cancel my order, I'll be pissed off. Especially when they were the one that upgraded to the LE in the first place.

NeoZylom

I don't know the exact details but I'm pretty sure all these games are still sold at stores. I think they just have to keep the english-only version behind the counter or something, but I'm not entirely sure.

Thing is, these games can be bought in Quebec. I remember the same thing happening with Kirby Collection not being sold by Futureshop for the same reason, and you could just go at EBgames and buy it (or order it on Amazon, etc.). I guess Futureshop signed an agreement to never sell english-only games or something.

That's not true. I remember, EBGames couldn't order nor sell Demon's Souls to me, because it was english only. (The boxart!)

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
That's not true. I remember, EBGames couldn't order nor sell Demon's Souls to me, because it was english only. (The boxart!)

Really? I bought Demon Souls at EBgames and my boxart is english-only...

As I said, I might be wrong, but so far I managed to buy all the "english-only" games Futureshop wasn't carrying at EBgames or independent game shops.

NeoZylom

As I said, I might be wrong, but so far I managed to buy all the "english-only" games Futureshop wasn't carrying at EBgames or independent game shops.

Oh well.. Mine said he couldn't order it. Are you in Montreal? Maybe they are more likely to infringe the law over there :p

My brother's copy of DKTF still hasn't shipped from Future Shop. He ordered it June 12 2013...

Maybe he can just buy another copy in store and return the online ordered copy when it comes in with the receipt of the in-store purchase!

Edit: just a question guys, so I've had the Wii Fit U trial since back when it released and I didn't buy the Wii Fit Meter yet, if I buy it now will it still work and activate the full version or it had to be done during the trial period?

LakeEarth

Anyone order a PS4 from the Source when it was in stock last Thursday morning? I ordered one, but I haven't heard boo about it since. I bought one as a guest, and only people who ordered through an account can track it from there through their website. I have to rely on emails, and I haven't got one since the order confirmation.

I want it.

EDIT - I finally got the shipping email, 3-6 more days to wait. Even if it takes 3 days, that means it'll over a week from ordering it to actually getting it. But it's only going from Barrie -> London so hopefully it'll come sooner.

Same here! (Quebec City)

The EBgames guy told me that he cannot put it up for sale on display or "propose it" to me but if I am the one who is asking for an English only something, they will pre-order it for me or give it to me if they have one in the back.

Mikey Jr.

Honestly, fuck this $69.99 bullshit.

Was gonna go this weekend to pre-order infamous, but just saw it was 69 bucks at FS and essentially everywhere.

So, I went on the PS Store, got it for $59.99 and NO TAX.

Gonna start to do this more often.

Was gonna go this weekend to pre-order infamous, but just saw it was 69 bucks at FS and essentially everywhere.

Look above, it's $59.99 at The Source. Price match on launch day if you need it day 1 but it may change by then.

Mikey Jr.

Look above, it's $59.99 at The Source. Price match on launch day if you need it day 1 but it may change by then.

Yeah, I saw that.

But...

1. Like you said, price might change.

2. Have to pre-order to get the bonus DLC.

3. Playstation store charged me exactly $59.99. No tax.

4. I have unlimited internet.

So fuck it. I'm gonna slowly start going down this route. Any good deals or whatever, I'll buy the boxed copies.

i-Jest

PS-Vita-anniversary-sale.jpg

PlayStation Vita Anniversary Sale

EDIT: This may not apply to Canadians. I don't see this on PSN. Maybe the store just hasn't updated yet.

Yeah, I saw that.

But...

1. Like you said, price might change.

2. Have to pre-order to get the bonus DLC.

3. Playstation store charged me exactly $59.99. No tax.

4. I have unlimited internet.

So fuck it. I'm gonna slowly start going down this route. Any good deals or whatever, I'll buy the boxed copies.

Glad it worked out. Just trying to help!

Vamphuntr

So what is the deal with the South Park CE? Amazon, FS and BB are offering or offered the CE for the same price as the regular edition. Did Ubi print too much copies. Seems like this deal is in Canada only for once.

i-Jest

Off topic but I have a question.

I don't know how many of you play fighting games, or like them for that matter, but somethings bothering me. Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 was delisted off PSN. Same with Marvel 2. This was a few months ago. Anyway, I've noticed Ultimate Marvel still for sale on the Vita's PSN. Is that legal? Does Sony still have the authorization to be selling the game on Vita's PSN even after Capcom lost the license?

So what is the deal with the South Park CE? Amazon, FS and BB are offering or offered the CE for the same price as the regular edition. Did Ubi print too much copies. Seems like this deal is in Canada only for once.

It's pretty weird. If I didn't know any better i'd say it meant the regular version was getting a lower MSRP (40 or 50$) but that definitely would have revealed itself by now.

Maybe they just printed way too many CEs? But then the question is why only Canada? I guess too many but not "American market" too many?

Considering how many ACIV/Blacklist CE's went unsold even at 50%+ off, I'd probably say they made too many.

It's pretty weird. If I didn't know any better i'd say it meant the regular version was getting a lower MSRP (40 or 50$) but that definitely would have revealed itself by now.

Maybe they just printed way too many CEs? But then the question is why only Canada? I guess too many but not "American market" too many?

Blame Canada.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
yeah this $69.99 BS has made me cancel a few orders. I cancelled Infamous, love the series decided not to bother with next-gen until the PS4 Slim and FF15/KH3 are out at this point. I have such a large backlog anyways, it'll keep me going for years

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Does Shoppers bother to carry Wii U stuff? I wanted to pick up 3D World and Tropical Freeze with the 20 off 75 coupons last week but they (Merivale and Greenbank locations) didn't have anything other than a copy NSMBU on shelves.

yup I am going to do the same! How big is the download again?

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
yeah this $69.99 BS has made me cancel a few orders. I cancelled Infamous, love the series decided not to bother with next-gen until the PS4 Slim and FF15/KH3 are out at this point. I have such a large backlog anyways, it'll keep me going for years

I have no problem waiting a few months for price drops. That's what I'm doing forward, but kind of screwed for Nintendo titles as they rarely go on sale.

Fuck the higher price points. Seriously MGSV:GZ is $44.99 retail. Funny thing is you can get it digital for $19.99 now because Konami dropped the price. Fuck these major retailers. Also a heads up, it looks like VGP is still selling physical copies for their normal $59.99 price.

If you preordered infamous online, your $59 price should be honored.

djblue89

Damn, I checked around 2:00pm and it hadn't been lowered yet and now gone! They must get more stock prior to release?

I pre-ordered the game while it was at 44,99 and I called BB customer service and they said they were going to change the price, does anyone know how long until it takes effect on the website itself ?

isny

napkin dispenser
Does Shoppers bother to carry Wii U stuff? I wanted to pick up 3D World and Tropical Freeze with the 20 off 75 coupons last week but they (Merivale and Greenbank locations) didn't have anything other than a copy NSMBU on shelves.

You picked pretty much one of the worst locations in Ottawa for games. The other location on Merivale has a ton, and pretty much every location in the east end (downtown, Montreal Road, and Ogilvie) all carry decent stock.

Top Bottom