• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 3: Pining for the Good Old Days Edition

Also, did anyone getting The Last of Us with a discount (specifically a tsilon code) get the headset code? Or did everyone getting the code pay full price?

Yeah didn't get a code either, I ordered with the tsilon code as well.

No one happens to have an extra one they don't want do they?

So the pulse works the same way as the older one, I mean with a dongle not Bluetooth, right?
I have the older one already and it's a good one, not perfect but it does the job of gaming in the middle of the night without waking anybody. My main problem with it is that the plastic makes some annoying sound when you move lol

Seik

Banned
X was available. You just had to manually search for it.

I fucking missed it. D:

But hey, I'm pretty sure it will be out at least after june 2014, so I'll probably have a second chance! :D

About that TLoU headset code, I'm not sure if I should pull the trigger...are those worth it?

zroid

Banned
yay, a friend of mine agreed to buy my used copy of TLOU at cost, after I finish it. I was hoping I could trade it in at FS with a T1$40 but this works out even better. If I like the game I will re-buy it when it's sub-$20.

Anth0ny

Final damage from the Future Shop sale...

360:
GTAV

PS4:

MGS V
FF XV
Watch Dogs (I need something to play at launch)
The Evil Within
Destiny

Wii U:

X
Bayo 2
SMTxFE
Yoshi's Land
Mario Kart 8
Wonderful 101
Super Mario 3D World
Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze
New Super Luigi U

3DS:
Mario and Luigi: Dream Team
Super Smash Bros
Yoshi's Island

Total: $745.62

Notable games excluded:

Pikmin 3 (The first Wii U game worth owning, I want that shit day one ASAP)
Smash Bros Wii U (Buying the second it goes up on the eshop)
Wind Waker HD (Want it day one)
Last of Us (Sold out. Will wait til it's $39)
Project x Zone (Sold out. Will pick up ASAP)
Pokemon X (Want it day one)
LTTP 2 (Want it day one)
Dark Souls 2 (Want it day one on Steam)
Kingdom Hearts III (lol I'll buy it during the E3 2015 Future Shop sale)
Sonic Lost World (Unfortunately didn't make the cut because I didn't have any other games to order with it. Willing to bet it'll be $39 on day one anyways, as Generations was)

Also, PS4 console. Pre-orders are sold out everywhere it seems. Damn it.

2013/2014 look to be very expensive, but I think I'm pretty damn set after this pre-order craziness. Look at all those Wii U games, LOOK AT THEM.

Neki

Wii U deluxe is 299 at Superstore and it's also a no tax weekend.

hm I wonder if there will be any better deals for a Wii U between now and August. I need a Wii U for Pikmin 3.

Also, is anyone going to do that The Last of Us Deal (play a dollar a day) from EBGames? I kinda want to do it and beat it by the next day, one dollar rental, yay!

Firestorm

Would love some reviews on the headset. If it'll work for PS4, I'm considering it. I'm not a fan of bluetooth earpieces and would prefer this. So far reviews seem to state the 7.1 mode sucks?

Just bought a PS3 at Shoppers. 320GB Move bundle (move controller, eyetoy, and sports champions) for $250 + 50,000 Optimum points.

Had to call eight Shoppers before I found one that had one. Most didn't have any systems and almost every employee hadn't heard of the sale and had no idea if they would get any.

Even though I've got a bunch of points now, I'm seriously reconsidering getting a PS4 at Shoppers down the road, even though I don't need a launch system. Seems like a big hassle to get anything bigger than a bag of chips.

Just bought a PS3 at Shoppers. 320GB Move bundle (move controller, eyetoy, and sports champions) for $250 + 50,000 Optimum points.

Had to call eight Shoppers before I found one that had one. Most didn't have any systems and almost every employee hadn't heard of the sale and had no idea if they would get any.

Even though I've got a bunch of points now, I'm seriously reconsidering getting a PS4 at Shoppers down the road, even though I don't need a launch system. Seems like a big hassle to get anything bigger than a bag of chips.

I've always had a hard time finding gaming good at SDM, your best bet would be a 3DS or a Vita!

zroid

Banned

Problem with PS3s is they're old. Shoppers doesn't get new shipments of consoles very often (if at all), and so PS3s are pretty hard to find nowadays. Most SDM stores will have Wii Us, Vitas and 3DSes, though. They still have DSis and Wiis too, but as you can imagine, those systems are a bit of a special case.

Chances are if you want to get a PS4 near-launch -- as in, within the first year or so, you'll have much better luck tracking one down.

iphys

Just went to Nintendo's Cross-Canada Tour event in Halifax this morning (runs 10-4 today/tomorrow near the south-east end of the Oval). They have a bunch of Wii U and 3DS systems to demo, but all the games are released games (Nintendo Land, NSMBU, Lego City, Need for Speed, Just Dance, Mario 3D Land), so kind of boring. The cool thing is they have a prize wheel you can spin, and it's a 1/3 chance of winning a mystery prize and 2/3 chance of winning candy. I won a mystery prize, which was a Luigi pin and Wii U screen cleaning cloth, but it looked like they had various mystery prizes like t-shirts.

zorbsie

I'm thinking of getting the headset for my brother because he just had a baby and it would be great for him to play games without waking her.

Gaming headset is a great idea for gamers with a baby. I used my Astros to plug in the baby monitor as well. That way my wife couldn't say I was ignoring the baby with the headphones. lol.

Orca

Got the headset code from Futureshop for the Last of Us order and tried it with Pulse, not realizing it was for a specific set. Didn't work. Went back and looked, found the set it's for and it didn't work on that one either.

I guess I'm just not buying the headset then.

Just went to Nintendo's Cross-Canada Tour event in Halifax this morning (runs 10-4 today/tomorrow near the south-east end of the Oval). They have a bunch of Wii U and 3DS systems to demo, but all the games are released games (Nintendo Land, NSMBU, Lego City, Need for Speed, Just Dance, Mario 3D Land), so kind of boring. The cool thing is they have a prize wheel you can spin, and it's a 1/3 chance of winning a mystery prize and 2/3 chance of winning candy. I won a mystery prize, which was a Luigi pin and Wii U screen cleaning cloth, but it looked like they had various mystery prizes like t-shirts.

I had no idea this was happening, it's like 5 minutes from my house. Shame there are no E3 demos but it sounds like it's worth a walk by for a little Nintendo trinket.

Haines

Banned
any animal crossing deals on right now?
the lady just decided she wants it and ill prob just grab it digital but wanted to see if you guys knew of any ways for to save some coin while i keep her happy

Madouu

Is that ps3 SDM deal worth it with the optimum points or should we wait for a price drop or better deals? Girlfriend might grab it today if so. She wants to play Ni No Kuni but she's in no hurry =p

edit: Oh and another very specific request if you guys care, I'm looking for beer glasses with canadian breweries logos on it, anybody know where I could order some online or in the Montreal area? thanks.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Has anyone ever bought used games from Game Access? Do they usually come in good condition? Also, do they come in the original box? Or just the game?

Is that ps3 SDM deal worth it with the optimum points or should we wait for a price drop or better deals? Girlfriend might grab it today if so. She wants to play Ni No Kuni but she's in no hurry =p

edit: Oh and another very specific request if you guys care, I'm looking for beer glasses with canadian breweries logos on it, anybody know where I could order some online or in the Montreal area? thanks.
I needed a PS3 for The Last of Us, couldn't wait for a drop. Maybe you guys can? I don't expect one until at least Black Friday now, but who knows.

The Move bundle is a great deal. Normally $299-$329, it's $249. With the 20x deal, you get $85-$120 worth of points, depending on how you redeem them. On top of that, if you don't want the Move stuff, TIVs.ca says EBGames will give you $20 worth of credit for the camera and Move controller.

So if you play your cards right and OPTIMIZE your rewards, you get a brand new 320gb PS3 for $110.

ohlawd

Vita deal sounds good.

Why can't they do a similar deal except replace those 3 games with a 32 gig? I don't want those crap.

frequency

The one here had Super Mario 3D World, Mario Kart 8, Wind Waker HD, and Donkey Kong. They gave away Luigi hats and Luigi race flags. Also the first few people got a Year of Luigi commemorative coin.

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member
So all of Vancouver is sold out of The Last of Us (when's the last time a AAA game sold out so fast?). Does anyone have any ideas of where I could get a copy ? Shoppers drug mart maybe?

It seems to be sold out in Toronto too or at least at the stores I tried. I've never heard of a AAA game selling out like this. There goes my plan to play it tonight. I'll just stick to Animal Crossing I guess.

Madouu

I needed a PS3 for The Last of Us, couldn't wait for a drop. Maybe you guys can? I don't expect one until at least Black Friday now, but who knows.

The Move bundle is a great deal. Normally $299-$329, it's $249. With the 20x deal, you get $85-$120 worth of points, depending on how you redeem them. On top of that, if you don't want the Move stuff, TIVs.ca says EBGames will give you $20 worth of credit for the camera and Move controller.

So if you play your cards right and OPTIMIZE your rewards, you get a brand new 320gb PS3 for $110.

Technically, wouldn't it be $229 with the TIV + $85-120 worth optimum points to use in the future rather, since you can only use the points you acquired before your purchase? I might be wrong though.

Thanks for the very helpful post! Still sounds like a good deal. With this I should be close to that ~$200 points level which my girlfriend will inevitably use on some perfume :p

Also is it just me or is 320gb way too much for a ps3?

edit: hmm yeah $250 with $120 worth of points right now seems better than $150 which is the price I see the ps3 go for in November.

zroid

Banned
Surprisingly, GTA is getting kind of blown off by this Tour. It's also hilarious that they're treating Collingwood as "Toronto" when it's like a 90 minute drive, at least.

So all of Vancouver is sold out of The Last of Us (when's the last time a AAA game sold out so fast?). Does anyone have any ideas of where I could get a copy ? Shoppers drug mart maybe?

It seems to be sold out in Toronto too or at least at the stores I tried. I've never heard of a AAA game selling out like this. There goes my plan to play it tonight. I'll just stick to Animal Crossing I guess.

Sold out in Montreal as well.

The last game I remember this happened was Borderlands. Supply didn't meet demand.

I remember going to shoppers drugmart and being surprised they had WIIU and plenty of games on sale didn't even realize they sold games i guess its a good spot to go if anything is sold out because not alot of people would think to check it

Madouu

I remember going to shoppers drugmart and being surprised they had WIIU and plenty of games on sale didn't even realize they sold games i guess its a good spot to go if anything is sold out because not alot of people would think to check it

That's where I got my Wii U for like $180. Thank god for optimum points! SDM is great for buying game consoles.

Technically, wouldn't it be $229 with the TIV + $85-120 worth optimum points to use in the future rather, since you can only use the points you acquired before your purchase? I might be wrong though.

Thanks for the very helpful post! Still sounds like a good deal. With this I should be close to that ~$200 points level which my girlfriend will inevitably use on some perfume :p

Also is it just me or is 320gb way too much for a ps3?

edit: hmm yeah $250 with $120 worth of points right now seems better than $150 which is the price I see the ps3 go for in November.
Yeah, it's $85-120 worth of optimum points to use in the future.

And 320GB is definitely not too much if you have PS+ like I do. Full games are around 7-14GB each, and I have at least half a dozen to download. I had to wait to play games on my old 80GB because there wasn't enough space.

iphys

The one here had Super Mario 3D World, Mario Kart 8, Wind Waker HD, and Donkey Kong. They gave away Luigi hats and Luigi race flags. Also the first few people got a Year of Luigi commemorative coin.

Went to that after. Got a Luigi hat, gave it to a little kid that was bawling his eyes out when they ran out, and then somehow wound up getting 2 Mario Kart flags and 2 Luigi coins, plus 3 stickers. They were slipping the coins to people on the sly and telling us to put them away and not let people see them, so I guess they weren't keeping track of who they had already given them to, but both my friends also got 2 of them, so I wonder if they were really as rare as they were trying to make them seem, lol.

Also got the Animal Crossing 3DS sticker/skin thing at the Animal Crossing meetup.

amrod

any animal crossing deals on right now?
the lady just decided she wants it and ill prob just grab it digital but wanted to see if you guys knew of any ways for to save some coin while i keep her happy

I'm looking for one too, or a place that just has a copy in stock. Its like sold out everywhere locally... not at futureshop, bb, ebgames or walmart

Top Bottom