• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 3: Pining for the Good Old Days Edition

zroid

Banned
I just noticed that Tekken Tag Tournament 2 WiiU is also $20 at EBgames and futureshop. Is it worth it? I'm not a big fighting game player and I don't remember how Tekken plays at all (last one I played is Tekken 2...), but the thought of a kangooroo fighting an old man dressed as Starfox in a Snoop Dogg-themed stage is tempting...

That is tempting, the random Nintendo costumes/stuff make it appealing to me. I don't normally buy fighting games but yeah.

Don't known if it's already been mentioned, but the FS trade 2 for a $60 gift card is back.

Hmmmm, I dont really like trading in games, but getting rid of ZombiU which I beat and was awesome (but never need to play again) and Paper Mario Sticker stars, which I payed 20 bucks for and sucks donkey dick because the combat means nothing is probably worth a new game.

Not sure there is anything I want right now though, or if there is I have already preordered it during E3.

Mupod

MH3U hmm. I might actually pick up my first WiiU game since launch. Is this the best game so far on the system?

I got a Wii U for the game and was completely happy with it, but I'm a longtime fan of the series. If you're new to Monster Hunter it's still got quite a learning curve (and the long-ass tutorial from Tri), but it's by far the easiest one to get into.

Not sure how active the GAF community still is but there should be someone still hanging around the OT if you need help either ingame or with questions. After spending 400 hours on MH I decided I needed to get caught up on other games but I might go back to it if Capcom finally put up the event quest Alatreon I was waiting for.

Note that while there is a demo available, it assumes familiarity with the series. It also doesn't show any of the armor/weapon crafting elements that are a huge part of the game, or multiplayer for that matter. Probably won't hurt to give it a try though.

Looking at upgrading my PC. It's running a GTX 570 which is fine, but the CPU is a Core 2 Quad Q6600, which is starting to feel positively ancient. Am I okay buying now, or will waiting until Black Friday get me a significantly better deal? Currently looking at

Motherboard: MSI Z87 G45 for $160
CPU: Intel Core i5 4670K for $240
Memory: S.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 1600 2x4GB for $69

As well as an SSD and 2TB HDD.
Samsung 840 250GB for $160
Seagate Barracuda 2TB for $87

I'll probably take a look at the build a PC thread too. I realize that this may not be the ideal place to ask about this, but since this is Canada GAF our sales and prices are probably a bit different, I figure. Can anyone tell me if I'm making an enormous mistake?

Socreges

Banned
Looking at upgrading my PC. It's running a GTX 570 which is fine, but the CPU is a Core 2 Quad Q6600, which is starting to feel positively ancient. Am I okay buying now, or will waiting until Black Friday get me a significantly better deal? Currently looking at

Motherboard: MSI Z87 G45 for $160
CPU: Intel Core i5 4670K for $240
Memory: S.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 1600 2x4GB for $69

As well as an SSD and 2TB HDD.
Samsung 840 250GB for $160
Seagate Barracuda 2TB for $87

I'll probably take a look at the build a PC thread too. I realize that this may not be the ideal place to ask about this, but since this is Canada GAF our sales and prices are probably a bit different, I figure. Can anyone tell me if I'm making an enormous mistake?
Post this in the build thread. Ask for kennah. He's awesome. Tell them Socreges sent you.

Post this in the build thread. Ask for kennah. He's awesome. Tell them Socreges sent you.

Thanks! I did, and kennah said to bite the bullet on the core components as Black Friday doesn't offer much in the way of savings on CPU, mobo, RAM. Just staring down my final bill before I hit confirm.

khaaan

Has anyone heard of or bought from timesforgottendvd? They have a tonne of old cartoon shows that I can't find on Amazon but I've never seen anyone mention them so I'm cautious about purchasing from them.

TheExodu5

Banned
Anyone up for an Ottawa meet maybe mid August? Could also make it to Montreal if we want a bigger gathering (I would be willing to drive myself and up to 3 other people from Ottawa, assuming everyone pitches in for gas).

I'm thinking poutine is on the menu, unless anyone has other suggestions.

Neki

EB Dealz

w9w4.png

Project X Zone: that was quick

XCOM: I may finally buy this, have been wanting to for a while

man I bought project x zone full price, oh well I got the limited edition stuff (which probably exists still, lol), maybe I should just trade it in while value is still high.

FrsDvl

Does anyone know how price matching works at target? I'm pretty sure they do it. I've never price matched before but noticed bestbuy has no no kuni for 29.99 and last time I was at target they had it for full price.

Luigi87

Does anyone know how price matching works at target? I'm pretty sure they do it. I've never price matched before but noticed bestbuy has no no kuni for 29.99 and last time I was at target they had it for full price.

Target has dropped the price to $29.99 a week or so ago (finally).

isny

napkin dispenser
Anyone up for an Ottawa meet maybe mid August? Could also make it to Montreal if we want a bigger gathering (I would be willing to drive myself and up to 3 other people from Ottawa, assuming everyone pitches in for gas).

You know I'm always up for something! I'll be there, wherever it is, lol

zroid

Banned
Need a little advice from Vancouverites: I'm going to be visiting for a couple days next month with the family, and we're staying at the Sheraton in Surrey. Apparently this is at 152 st & 104 ave. Trying to figure out what the best way is to get to the Skytrain. Seems the walk will be too much, so we have to take the bus.

It looks like Bus route 332 pretty much goes directly from the hotel to Surrey Central stn (correct me if I'm wrong, please!), but it seems to not be a direct route, and I'm wondering if there might be a faster or otherwise better way to get to King George or Surrey Central from our hotel. Like something which just goes directly along 104 ave -- even if it doesn't stop directly at the station, it seems like we could just get off at 135 st and walk down there.

Also another thing, since it'll be two days, I'm assuming two day passes is the best approach? There are three of us.

EDIT: So, upon closer inspection, I think route 320 might be what I'm looking for.

EDIT2: also, I just wanted to add that TTC is a god damn joke compared to Translink

Hmmm..maybe.

Firestorm

Need a little advice from Vancouverites: I'm going to be visiting for a couple days next month with the family, and we're staying at the Sheraton in Surrey. Apparently this is at 152 st & 104 ave. Trying to figure out what the best way is to get to the Skytrain. Seems the walk will be too much, so we have to take the bus.

It looks like Bus route 332 pretty much goes directly from the hotel to Surrey Central stn (correct me if I'm wrong, please!), but it seems to not be a direct route, and I'm wondering if there might be a faster or otherwise better way to get to King George or Surrey Central from our hotel. Like something which just goes directly along 104 ave -- even if it doesn't stop directly at the station, it seems like we could just get off at 135 st and walk down there.

Also another thing, since it'll be two days, I'm assuming two day passes is the best approach? There are three of us.

EDIT: So, upon closer inspection, I think route 320 might be what I'm looking for.

EDIT2: also, I just wanted to add that TTC is a god damn joke compared to Translink
Guildford is a pretty major mall. There will be a lot of buses that go from there to Surrey Central. Just use Google Maps to find the best route before you leave. 320 and 337 are probably the ones that go most often. Basically all of them will terminate at the station. Surrey Central is a pretty large bus hub. We don't have two day passes unfortunately. Day passes are $9.75 and are all zones. If you're visiting on a weekday, I definitely recommend it. If you're visiting on a weekend, it might still be the best option for ease of use if you plan to use transit a lot. Otherwise just buy single fares or pick up a pack of 10 at a 7-11 or Shoppers.

zroid

Banned
Guildford is a pretty major mall. There will be a lot of buses that go from there to Surrey Central. Just use Google Maps to find the best route before you leave. 320 and 337 are probably the ones that go most often. Basically all of them will terminate at the station. Surrey Central is a pretty large bus hub. We don't have two day passes unfortunately. Day passes are $9.75 and are all zones. If you're visiting on a weekday, I definitely recommend it. If you're visiting on a weekend, it might still be the best option for ease of use if you plan to use transit a lot. Otherwise just buy single fares or pick up a pack of 10 at a 7-11 or Shoppers.

Yeah thanks, I ended up finding 320 from google maps in the end, which seems about right.

Turns out it'll be Saturday and Sunday, so I was about to ask about the 10-ticket pack. It was a little bit confusing on the translink site, but am I correct in thinking a pack of 1-zone tickets would be enough to get through any/all fare zones on the weekend?

Still might get the day pass for convenience like you said, but first I've gotta figure out exactly where we'll be going. :lol

daevv

Not sure if widely known but chapters.indigo has a 25% off coupon to print or code to use online now till Aug 4th. There is a few restrictions but I used the code to order 7 Wonders the board game, free shipping too. It wasn't as cheap as the online only sale a few months ago ($30). It didn't work for pre-ordering board games as I tried it on the Lords of Waterdeep expansion and the Pathfinder card game and it didn't work. Maybe only one use of the code per account?

http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/home/

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Not sure if widely known but chapters.indigo has a 25% off coupon to print or code to use online now till Aug 4th. There is a few restrictions but I used the code to order 7 Wonders the board game, free shipping too. It wasn't as cheap as the online only sale a few months ago ($30). It didn't work for pre-ordering board games as I tried it on the Lords of Waterdeep expansion and the Pathfinder card game and it didn't work. Maybe only one use of the code per account?

http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/home/

I might be an idiot here, but where do I apply the promo? I don't see any field to type in the code and I made it all the way to the "place order" screen...

daevv

I might be an idiot here, but where do I apply the promo? I don't see any field to type in the code and I made it all the way to the "place order" screen...

iirc, it's somewhere below the place where you enter your payment details

Further along in the checkout process you can choose shipping and how you are going to pay. At the end of that list is two plus signs, one for gift cards codes, one for promo codes. Clicking the plus sign opens a small window to enter the code.

Firestorm

Yeah thanks, I ended up finding 320 from google maps in the end, which seems about right.

Turns out it'll be Saturday and Sunday, so I was about to ask about the 10-ticket pack. It was a little bit confusing on the translink site, but am I correct in thinking a pack of 1-zone tickets would be enough to get through any/all fare zones on the weekend?

Still might get the day pass for convenience like you said, but first I've gotta figure out exactly where we'll be going. :lol
Yep. Just get the 1 Zone 10-ticket pack and you'll be good to go. If you're here in August 10th and 11th, come check out the Pokemon World Championships downtown :D

TheExodu5

Banned
You know I'm always up for something! I'll be there, wherever it is, lol

Hmmm..maybe.

Attending:
isny
Stumpokapow
Chairman Yang

Maybe:
Coldplay

Now to find a time/place. I'm thinking August 17 maybe? Let me know whatever works.

I'm up for location suggestions. There are a few places where I've been meaning to try poutine. One is S&G off Carling. The other is Fritomania, though that's a bit further as it's in Orleans. As always, I can offer rides to whoever can make their way to Billings Bridge.

I'm thinking about trading Animal Crossing at T2 for $60 at FS and buy it from the eshop, am I going to lose my save data? You can use a GC to buy eshop cards right?

Sooo...I want to get an iPad soon. Any place recommended over just popping by to a Best Buy/Futureshop?

I guess it doesn't matter since there isn't any deals right now as far as I know!
Usually I'd buy from Apple store!

Firestorm

I'm thinking about trading Animal Crossing at T2 for $60 at FS and buy it from the eshop, am I going to lose my save data? You can use a GC to buy eshop cards right?

I guess it doesn't matter since there isn't any deals right now as far as I know!
yo gimme animal crossing and i'll give you another game to trade in! I kind of want Animal Crossing because my friends won't shut up about it but i missed the trade 1 for AC :(

isny

napkin dispenser
Attending:
isny
Stumpokapow
Chairman Yang

Maybe:
Coldplay

Now to find a time/place. I'm thinking August 17 maybe? Let me know whatever works.

I'm up for location suggestions. There are a few places where I've been meaning to try poutine. One is S&G off Carling. The other is Fritomania, though that's a bit further as it's in Orleans. As always, I can offer rides to whoever can make their way to Billings Bridge.

Have you been to spuds?

http://www.spudspotato.com/locations.php

zroid

Banned

You can keep your save data, but you have to buy it from the eShop before you trade it in, and then do a save transfer. Never done it myself but someone in the Nintendo Download thread or whatever could probably explain the process.

If you're here in August 10th and 11th, come check out the Pokemon World Championships downtown :D

Dang, that would be awesome. But I'm a couple weeks late! :(

Leeness

Haha, okay, I was just wondering if there was a "recommended" place. Or if there were covers thrown in or something haha.

Cool cool. Probably at the end of the week. Excited! :D

iLLmAtlc

This has probably come up a lot but how much is everybody paying for cable and internet?

I find it hard to believe we are all paying the 100+ asking for basic standard def cable and 20 mbps internet from Shaw... :(

My promotional period is about to expire and I am looking at my options because 100+ per month is out of the question.

DJ_Lae

This has probably come up a lot but how much is everybody paying for cable and internet?

I'm paying $140 a month right now with Telus - phone, internet, and TV. I've got 25mbps and the single-most highest tier for TV (with maybe one add-on specialty set of channels).

I tried to talk them down as Shaw has some current deals on, but the person I got was grumpy and I probably wasn't forceful enough.

I need some short notice help.

I'm moving on my own this coming Tuesday, and I need to order a Cellphone, Cable, and Internet. Which is the best provider (in-store) and are they able to just hold off the cable and internet until I'm actually moved in? I need the cellphone by tomorrow.

I need some short notice help.

I'm moving on my own this coming Tuesday, and I need to order a Cellphone, Cable, and Internet. Which is the best provider (in-store) and are they able to just hold off the cable and internet until I'm actually moved in? I need the cellphone by tomorrow.

Most providers will schedule for when you're available.

Top Bottom