• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 3: Pining for the Good Old Days Edition

Lexxism

One from RFD said that the walmart manager said that it was a price error and will be adjusted tomorrow morning. Lucky for those hoarders who bought at least 3 copies of Nintendo Land and COD. That's $180 GC in BB already.

edit: This will help boost WiiU's software sales!

Does Futureshop give 60$ gift card anyway when they say "Trade-In for ToX, DC or Pikmin 3"? Because the offer is valid from the 2nd to the 8th of August but 2 of those games comes out on the 6th... Which is kind of retarded! =)

frequency

Weird.

So FutureShop charged and shipped Dragon's Crown at the same time. Usually I get a charge early in the day and it ships later like what they did with Xillia. But I noticed I got 2 shipment emails and I checked and apparently they charged for Dragon's Crown like an hour ago.

My Xillia CE that I forgot to cancel from EB shipped, but my FS regular one (E3 deal) didn't. :(

Wow that's pretty early! My CE is from Bestbuy and... I have a regular edition just in case that doesn't go through. I'm kind of... skeptical of Bestbuy :(

EDIT: Apparently they've just shipped my copies.... both. I guess I'm returning one! Or selling the other one... the only reason I was loathe to cancel the regular edition was because I had it price-matched to Amazon.ca's 49.99 one from a while back....

ghostofpedro

Neo Member
I was at the Dufferin Mall Walmart in Toronto tonight. I was shocked to see the previously mentioned titles on sale for 10 bucks. AC3 & Arkham were sold out. Shit just got real.

ghostofpedro

Neo Member
Also at the Dufferin Mall Walmart Metroid: Other M is priced at $80. Just 3 miles away at the Yonge & Charles game store that same game is priced at $15. This vast price difference creates a significant arbitrage opportunity that could be exploited. Unfortunately returning an unopened game to a store that you did not purchase it at is probably illegal.

Neki

fuck I saw Nintendoland for 10 dollars at my walmart and I thought it was normal

I'm such an idiot fuckkkk

gonna wake up early tomorrow and see if it's still up in the morning

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Also at the Dufferin Mall Walmart Metroid: Other M is priced at $80. Just 3 miles away at the Yonge & Charles game store that same game is priced at $15. This vast price difference creates a significant arbitrage opportunity that could be exploited. Unfortunately returning an unopened game to a store that you did not purchase it at is probably illegal.

It is not illegal at all. And is not something you should feel any level of guilt over either. If a company like Walmart fails to maintain up to date pricing in their system then that is their own issues.
Buy the game for $15 and take it still sealed to Walmart and say it was a gift and you don't have that system anymore and would like to see if there is something to exchange for it. If they say yes you have yourself $80 of store credit. If they say no, then return the game to the shop you bought it from originally (or keep it for $15).
The guiltless part of the equation is that Walmart sets the value of their own goods. If that game is worth $80 to them then the copy you give them is still worth $80 on their inventory. If they sold that copy that's what they would get for it. They lose no money.

It's what I like to call creative exchanging

Sajjaja

It is not illegal at all. And is not something you should feel any level of guilt over either. If a company like Walmart fails to maintain up to date pricing in their system then that is their own issues.
Buy the game for $15 and take it still sealed to Walmart and say it was a gift and you don't have that system anymore and would like to see if there is something to exchange for it. If they say yes you have yourself $80 of store credit. If they say no, then return the game to the shop you bought it from originally (or keep it for $15).
The guiltless part of the equation is that Walmart sets the value of their own goods. If that game is worth $80 to them then the copy you give them is still worth $80 on their inventory. If they sold that copy that's what they would get for it. They lose no money.

How would they have any proof that he got it from Walmart? Is it even possible to do that?

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
How would they have any proof that he got it from Walmart? Is it even possible to do that?

Do they need proof if you are exchanging and the product is sealed?

Some stores will not do exchanges without receipts but most will. They want your business and your loyalty. If the product is sealed and is something they carry they have no risk of losing money.

I'm surprised more people don't take advantage of doing this. If you buy a game online because you got a deal, but you know it won't ship to you until a couple of days after launch go to a retail store and buy a copy as soon as it is on the shelf. Then when you get your copy in the mail return that copy with your receipt from the one you bought at the store and get a refund.
Get the game on launch day and get the cheaper price. Your only cost is the leg work.

Cheerilee

You should feel guilty about being a lying piece of crap, even if your victim is Walmart.

If your system was truly "guiltless" and you truly believed that Walmart wants to acquire yet another copy of Other M that they'll never sell for $80, you should be honest and tell Walmart that you have a mint-sealed copy which you want to sell to them.

You're misrepresenting yourself as a customer and abusing their customer service.

Haines

Banned
Glad to see Nintendo quickly sending everyone the 5 bucks they missed for Canadians in the promo. Felt good to see it in my email.

Now I hope BB has some sort of deal on W101, so I can use up my BB GC's I made off of yesterdays walmart pricing "error".

Fuckin RFD hoarders are ruining it for everyone, the thread about $10 WiiU games at WM is literally disgusting, FS and BB updated their trade-in lists overnight and removed every single game of these, they even removed lots of 3DS games! Now almost most of games I was waiting to trade in doesn't qualify, not even Animal Crossing: New Leaf since I got a digital copy i wanted to trade it in!

frequency

It's what I call dishonesty, cheating, and frankly stealing.

Taking advantage of and abusing a company for having good customer service policies and trying to justify your scummy behaviour. Gross.

iiicon

Fuckin RFD hoarders are ruining it for everyone, the thread about $10 WiiU games at WM is literally disgusting, FS and BB updated their trade-in lists overnight and removed every single game of these, they even removed lots of 3DS games! Now almost most of games I was waiting to trade in doesn't qualify, not even Animal Crossing: New Leaf since I got a digital copy i wanted to trade it in!
What? Lame. I was gonna trade mine in and another game for Xillia.

Tuck

It's what I call dishonesty, cheating, and frankly stealing.

Taking advantage of and abusing a company for having good customer service policies and trying to justify your scummy behaviour. Gross.

In no way is arbitrage stealing. Thats complete hyperbole and you know it.

EDIT: Oh I misread his post. Taking it from one walmart to another... hmm yeah I suppose thats questionable. Taking it to another retailer is different.

Ugh. I was going to trade in my PS3 copy of Assassin's Creed III for Dragon's Crown along with another game, and now they've removed it from the list :(

In no way is arbitrage stealing. Thats complete hyperbole and you know it.

EDIT: Oh I misread his post. Taking it from one walmart to another... hmm yeah I suppose thats questionable. Taking it to another retailer is different.

From what I gathered he was buying it for $10 and then taking it to another Walmart to return but saying he bought it for $60.

As a former retailer, you pretty much always don't take a product back without a receipt because of this type of bullshit. Next time someone complains that a store wouldn't take a product back without a receipt you can blame this type of behaviour.

However, Walmart tends to be lenient in that regard and will usually take something back without a receipt. But, from what I know, if you don't have a receipt with the price you purchased it at they will usually only refund you the current retail price.

I got two cases of these at Walmart in Montreal yesterday. So good!

9428737505_3fc8c6a55d_z.jpg

Firestorm

However, Walmart tends to be lenient in that regard and will usually take something back without a receipt. But, from what I know, if you don't have a receipt with the price you purchased it at they will usually only refund you the current retail price.
Cheapest price within last 90 days.

trixx

So my local wal-mart Scarborough town centre and Agincourt had the games on sale for ten but they are all sold out. Someone probably bought like 5 copies of each game and probably doesn't have nor plans to buy a wii u =/. Pikmin 3 didnt get shipped either meh. Thanks for the heads up though.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Here's a nice surprise, I decided to look at my Zelda box set order on Amazon.ca and it appears it had another price drop recently before going back up to $129.15. My order now reads as following.

Item(s) Subtotal: CDN$ 95.00
Shipping & Handling: CDN$ 0.00
-----
Total before tax: CDN$ 95.00
Estimated GST/HST: CDN$ 4.75
Estimated PST/RST/QST: CDN$ 0.00
-----
Grand Total: CDN$ 99.75

That's almost $9 cheaper than last time. :)

zroid

Banned
Here's a nice surprise, I decided to look at my Zelda box set order on Amazon.ca and it appears it had another price drop recently before going back up to $129.15. My order now reads as following.

Item(s) Subtotal: CDN$ 95.00
Shipping & Handling: CDN$ 0.00
-----
Total before tax: CDN$ 95.00
Estimated GST/HST: CDN$ 4.75
Estimated PST/RST/QST: CDN$ 0.00
-----
Grand Total: CDN$ 99.75

That's almost $9 cheaper than last time. :)
lol, nice. Mine too! Thanks for the heads-up. :p

Good thing I kept both Chapters and Amazon orders instead of only Chapters which was a few dollars less. Now Amazon is a few dollars less.

So my local wal-mart Scarborough town centre and Agincourt had the games on sale for ten but they are all sold out. Someone probably bought like 5 copies of each game and probably doesn't have nor plans to buy a wii u =/. Pikmin 3 didnt get shipped either meh. Thanks for the heads up though.

Are you sure those games were on sale at those locations? I checked online and they come up at full price at those locations. It only Gerrard Square is where it's marked down to $10 in the GTA. (or at least putting in a postal code from Scarborough)

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Are you sure those games were on sale at those locations? I checked online and they come up at full price at those locations. It only Gerrard Square is where it's marked down to $10 in the GTA. (or at least putting in a postal code from Scarborough)
I picked Agincourt as my store and it showed $10 as the price for a couple of them while Batman was still the normal price.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member

WAT DA FUCK?!!?!?!? Why didn't I check!?!?!?!??@

I gotta say I really enjoy ordering things online at futureshop.ca. I just like how they get things to me on day one. They shipped xillia on friday because it comes out tuesday and there's no deliveries and all that on monday. Other stores can sometimes just be like fuck it and you'll end up getting it a day or two later.

Tagg9

I gotta say I really enjoy ordering things online at futureshop.ca. I just like how they get things to me on day one. They shipped xillia on friday because it comes out tuesday and there's no deliveries and all that on monday. Other stores can sometimes just be like fuck it and you'll end up getting it a day or two later.

The system works great for everything but Nintendo-published games.

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member

What? Is this Canada-wide? I want my precious Pikmin... :(

Top Bottom