• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 3: Pining for the Good Old Days Edition

Quadratic

Trying to track down a vita copy of Dragon's Crown today has been difficult. Anyone know where there's stock in the Toronto area?

Lexxism

Trying to track down a vita copy of Dragon's Crown today has been difficult. Anyone know where there's stock in the Toronto area?

How about trying to use FS store locator? Do the same with BB. If you find any stocks near your place, try to call or use the option "Reserve in store". That way you secure a copy of the game.

I got Xillia today in the mail today and I totally forgot I even preordered. For some reasons FS sent me the LE edition. I hope Im still only charged $39.99

I got Xillia today in the mail today and I totally forgot I even preordered. For some reasons FS sent me the LE edition. I hope Im still only charged $39.99

Well, the LE is supposed to be a pre-order incentive so you should have gotten it if you ordered the regular edition... it's an automatic upgrade

Sora_N

Anyone buy joysticks for PS3? My friend's gf is trying to find him one as a gift for his birthday since he's getting into SSFIV, didn't really find many on amazon.ca. Where can she look for a decent one?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Anyone buy joysticks for PS3? My friend's gf is trying to find him one as a gift for his birthday since he's getting into SSFIV, didn't really find many on amazon.ca. Where can she look for a decent one?
Like an arcade stick?

Wait for a weekend with a major tournament for a Mad Catz discount code and get them from their website. The nearest weekend is the weekend of August 17th with Summer Jam VII. Cheapest way you will get a joystick and the best quality. The Soul Calibur stick will likely go down to $80 and is a great deal. Canadian Joysticks is your second best bet.

Sora_N

Like an arcade stick?

Wait for a weekend with a major tournament for a Mad Catz discount code and get them from their website. The nearest weekend is the weekend of August 17th with Summer Jam VII. Cheapest way you will get a joystick and the best quality. The Soul Calibur stick will likely go down to $80 and is a great deal. Canadian Joysticks is your second best bet.

Yeah arcade stick, sorry. I'll pass the info along to her, thanks!

khaaan

Anyone have any experience in purchasing from Amazon.co.uk?
I'm looking to buy some EU specific stuff but I'm wondering if there are any import fees or the like.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Anyone have any experience in purchasing from Amazon.co.uk?
I'm looking to buy some EU specific stuff but I'm wondering if there are any import fees or the like.
The few times that I ordered from them, I didn't get hit with import fees. I don't know if that was just luck or standard policy though.

Yeah arcade stick, sorry. I'll pass the info along to her, thanks!
If it matters, you should know that Mad Catz has said their sticks will not work with next gen consoles.

Sora_N

The few times that I ordered from them, I didn't get hit with import fees. I don't know if that was just luck or standard policy though.

If it matters, you should know that Mad Catz has said their sticks will not work with next gen consoles.

Nah it won't matter, I doubt my friend would buy a PS4 for 5 years anyways lol. Thanks for the information though!

My sf4 te stick cost me around 200 bucks when it launched......and I still stuck at fighting games

It's awesome for turtles in time and other arcade games though

chronosic

My sf4 te stick cost me around 200 bucks when it launched......and I still stuck at fighting games

It's awesome for turtles in time and other arcade games though
Man, I beat the sf4 arcade machine at the local theatre a few weeks ago, and after the 20 minutes or so it took me to beat it (1 credit, yeeee), the forearm of the hand I was using for the buttons was killing me haha. I can see the appeal of having a stick, but my fuck, I guess I should start lifting some weights or something haha.

Sora_N

My Dragons Crown book got a little scuffed from Mr Postman jamming it into my mailbox. Oh well, it didn't get destroyed.

At least you got one, seems a lot of people got screwed over. I just missed out since I didn't decide to preorder until last week lol, so won't be getting the game until price drop now.

Sora_N

Did FS/BB preorders come with the book?

BB is sold out online, but FS has 88 copies left. Both FS/BB are sold out around me. I wonder if I can get the book if I order from FS, probably not lol.

Sora_N

When I asked at EB on Friday, they said if I preorder now I won't get the book. I think it's separate (unlike SMTIV) but I'm not really too sure.

zroid

Banned
well, the books were wrapped together with the games so they're not being handed out separately as a pre-order bonus type of thing. but yeah i guess they were just really limited.

Any thoughts on this laptop?

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/acer-acer-aspire-v7-15-6-ultrabook-gunmetal-intel-core-i5-3337u-24gb-ssd-500gb-hdd-12gb-windows-8-v7-581-6489/10254572.aspx?path=226359e5ff9e81e3595821eea0ca4579en02&SearchPageIndex=1

She doesn't need it for gaming and the screen resolution isn't an issue. It's in her price range and it seems like a good deal.

The books are literally wrapped with the game though. Unless that is something only FS/BB did for their own shipments.

That's what FS/BB did. I picked it up from a mom & pop and it was loose.

Sora_N

Any thoughts on this laptop?

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/acer-acer-aspire-v7-15-6-ultrabook-gunmetal-intel-core-i5-3337u-24gb-ssd-500gb-hdd-12gb-windows-8-v7-581-6489/10254572.aspx?path=226359e5ff9e81e3595821eea0ca4579en02&SearchPageIndex=1

She doesn't need it for gaming and the screen resolution isn't an issue. It's in her price range and it seems like a good deal.

That's what FS/BB did. I picked it up from a mom & pop and it was loose.

That seems pretty decent to me. You can google some reviews as well to be sure.

zroid

Banned
Ooh the Xillia LE's "character booklet" thing is actually pretty nice. Small, but nice. And the pages are glossy! :p

Kazerei

Banned
If you're missing some of the games, Walmart should still have them on their site at $10 if you put in your ZIP code, go to a Best Buy or Future shop and you may get lucky as some will do it without calling.

And use the Walmart flyer at The Source (or Toys R Us!), they need that for the console. Thank god it's in the flyer.

Don't give up on the hunt guys! :D

Edit: Bookmark this post for easy access, here are the pages for all but Batman as you can't use your ZIP code for it:

NL:

http://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/nintendo-land/10166676

AC3:

http://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/assassins-creed-3-nintendo-wiiu/10146793

COD:

http://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/call-of-duty-black-ops-ii-nintendo-wii-u/10170384

I was just at the Walmart in Waterloo near Ira Needles & University. No AssCreed or Black Ops II, but there were still 4 copies of Ninty Land.

Sora_N

Ooh the Xillia LE's "character booklet" thing is actually pretty nice. Small, but nice. And the pages are glossy! :p

Good to know! You're returning your CE right?

I tried and there isn't that much out there. Unless I'm googling the wrong thing. I went with the model number.

The laptop just came out in June.

Damn, maybe this kind of laptop is low demand so not many people bought it. The hardware list seems ok to me, something I would consider if I was buying a cheapish laptop. You could always return if you don't like it I think.

Orca

Went to Walmart today and saw the Wii U games that dropped to $10 in most other locations were still $40-60 here. I asked the guy in games about it and he got the duty manager. They said the city sometimes gets a different flyer and they thought that was the deal.

I asked him if they'd price match other Walmart stores the way they price match other outlets, then laughed at the uncomfortable look he got and said not to worry about it.

krae_man

At least you got one, seems a lot of people got screwed over. I just missed out since I didn't decide to preorder until last week lol, so won't be getting the game until price drop now.

You should have preordered it during E3 and got it for $33.33.

L Thammy

Guess I missed this Walmart thing. Maybe I should swing by my local one just to look. ( ._.)

By the way, the IP / DNS method to get American NetFlix seems to have stopped working.

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
You should have preordered it during E3 and got it for $33.33.

I ordered a total of 9 (!) games during E3, and I still regularly think of more games I should've pre-ordered: Luigi U, Tearaway, Mario Kart, Yoshi Yarn...

Canuck-GAF halp.

I'm TV hunting, and I'm trying to get the best one... AGAIN! XD

Credentials:

- Retains SD content as good as possible.
- Has vibrant colors and good gradient, I'm ogling the X-Reality PRO and Triluminous display demos, tell me there's something in that "ballpark" on smaller, cheaper displays by competitors? Since a lot fo the brand's tech tricks seem to be identical side by side...
- Around the $300 range, depending if I am able to attempt at future-proofing the damn thing.

I use the following consoles: Wii, Wii U, PS2.

Any store in Toronto that will serve me best? There's this HiFi store at Dufferin Mall that has TVs at cheaper prices and seems legitimately a good store, so that's another outlet. So other stores like FS, Best Buy, Walmart, etc. Don't want to risk stores like NOORI at Gerrard, since I've heard not so pleasant stories, from online reviews to in-person opinions. They do have a 1 year in-store warranty though.

MarkusRJR

Canuck-GAF halp.

I'm TV hunting, and I'm trying to get the best one... AGAIN! XD

Credentials:

- Retains SD content as good as possible.
- Has vibrant colors and good gradient, I'm ogling the X-Reality PRO and Triluminous display demos, tell me there's something in that "ballpark" on smaller, cheaper displays by competitors? Since a lot fo the brand's tech tricks seem to be identical side by side...
- Around the $300 range, depending if I am able to attempt at future-proofing the damn thing.

I use the following consoles: Wii, Wii U, PS2.

Any store in Toronto that will serve me best? There's this HiFi store at Dufferin Mall that has TVs at cheaper prices and seems legitimately a good store, so that's another outlet. So other stores like FS, Best Buy, Walmart, etc. Don't want to risk stores like NOORI at Gerrard, since I've heard not so pleasant stories, from online reviews to in-person opinions. They do have a 1 year in-store warranty though.
$300 isn't going to get you that great of a TV unless you're going used.. :(

Spike

My brother went to the Rexdale Walmart trying to get a game for $10. Pretty shitty of them for not lowering the price of the games when they are actually listed as a store that is having these manager specials.

zo1jcsj.png

dammit y'all, why is the Vancouver-Age thread so dead :(

maybe someone can help me here:

Do you guys think it's worth visiting Sunshine Coast (for no more than an afternoon) if you're not really planning on any outdoorsy activities? Like, just for the scenic drive along the coast, the ferry ride and whatnot, and maybe spend a couple hours at and around Sechelt, for example. If so, is it better to take the car aboard the ferry, or leave it behind? Are there any buses which you can hop onto at Langdale?

Well I live in Gibsons...

...Sechelt...

Damn. For a second there I thought I might discover that I'm not the only one in Powell River that posts on gaf. So close. Retirement communities, yo!

Forever alone...

So I'm being hosed by my mail man, lost a total of three shipments over the last couple of weeks! a pair of glasses, PS3 headset and 2 WiiU games :(
I don't know what to do, I have to go through a stupid process with the shipper so that they could start a lost shipment trace with Canada post! Should I rent a mailbox or just hold all my mail at the post office or what? Seriously I'm clueless and Canada post don't give a shit about any of that!

Lexxism

I ordered a total of 9 (!) games during E3, and I still regularly think of more games I should've pre-ordered: Luigi U, Tearaway, Mario Kart, Yoshi Yarn...

Same. I also pre-ordered 9 game. I should had pre-ordered a lot since I can return the game just in case I don't want it. I hope SMT x FE will fall on Fall 2014

Luigi87

Grr, ordered a new fight stick on the weekend. FedEX estimated delivery was Friday, now they updated last night to Monday >_<

So I'm being hosed by my mail man, lost a total of three shipments over the last couple of weeks! a pair of glasses, PS3 headset and 2 WiiU games :(
I don't know what to do, I have to go through a stupid process with the shipper so that they could start a lost shipment trace with Canada post! Should I rent a mailbox or just hold all my mail at the post office or what? Seriously I'm clueless and Canada post don't give a shit about any of that!

I'd start holding all my mail at the post office. Sounds like you have an idiot of a post man who is delivering you stuff to the wrong address or your packages are being stolen.

Cynar

I'm always afraid of this when I order online. Good luck to you. I'd have my mail held and go through the process you mentioned.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
DX xbox 360 controller receiver arrived, took a few minutes to set up but it works pretty well

I set mine up yesterday, did you bother using the CD at all?

I read the reviews about setting it up, so I just downloaded the drivers and software online from Microsoft's site myself. Only thing I don't like is that there is no quick way to turn off the controller.

Luigi87

I set mine up yesterday, did you bother using the CD at all?

I read the reviews about setting it up, so I just downloaded the drivers and software online from Microsoft's site myself. Only thing I don't like is that there is no quick way to turn off the controller.
I always just eject the battery pack from the controller.

Jayhawk

Damn it, I forgot how stupid UPS brokerage/customs fees are. I ordered the CE of Tales of Xillia from the Namco Bandai site, and just received it today. I got charged $57 for brokerage fees. I could have bought another game with that money.

Top Bottom