• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 3: Pining for the Good Old Days Edition

bryehn

So I'm being hosed by my mail man, lost a total of three shipments over the last couple of weeks! a pair of glasses, PS3 headset and 2 WiiU games :(
I don't know what to do, I have to go through a stupid process with the shipper so that they could start a lost shipment trace with Canada post! Should I rent a mailbox or just hold all my mail at the post office or what? Seriously I'm clueless and Canada post don't give a shit about any of that!

I've had success filing complaints via @canadapostcares on the twitters.

krae_man

Damn it, I forgot how stupid UPS brokerage/customs fees are. I ordered the CE of Tales of Xillia from the Namco Bandai site, and just received it today. I got charged $57 for brokerage fees. I could have bought another game with that money.

I would have declined the package and complained to scamco and demanded a full refund or having it re sent via USPS. They should know better then to use ups for international shipments.

zroid

Banned
Damn it, I forgot how stupid UPS brokerage/customs fees are. I ordered the CE of Tales of Xillia from the Namco Bandai site, and just received it today. I got charged $57 for brokerage fees. I could have bought another game with that money.

ugh...

BadWolf

Damn that sucks.

Dah fuq?

I have never been charged brokerage fees.

I think I would flip my lid.

Gamejunky

I just got an email from amazon saying the preorder for Ratchet and clank into the nexus is only 29.99, is this right? Sounds way too good

Edit: checked EBgames and it seems it's 39.99 so sounds like a good deal.

DJ_Lae

$57? Ouch. That seems weirdly high.

I remember one Monoprice order I placed for maybe $130 ended up costing me about $40 in fees.

khaaan

UPS fees suck. I was worried out of my mind when I found out Namco was shipping Ni No Kuni with them. For some reason they covered those fees then.

Sajjaja

I just got an email from amazon saying the preorder for Ratchet and clank into the nexus is only 29.99, is this right? Sounds way too good

Edit: checked EBgames and it seems it's 39.99 so sounds like a good deal.

Futureshop has it for $29.99 as well.

Jayhawk

I would complain to Namco Bandai about the $57 fees if I could find the appropriate email address or web form on their damn site.

C-Jo

I've had success filing complaints via @canadapostcares on the twitters.

Thanks, I'll try that too.

My last 3 delivery attempts from Canada Post have been missing the delivery pick-up cards, despite the tracking information indicating otherwise. It's been a real bitch to pick stuff up without them.

I set mine up yesterday, did you bother using the CD at all?

I read the reviews about setting it up, so I just downloaded the drivers and software online from Microsoft's site myself. Only thing I don't like is that there is no quick way to turn off the controller.

Nope, and it looks like the only way to turn the controller off is to pop out the battery pack

I also unplugged my 360 since it turns on when I turn on the controller lol

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Nope, and it looks like the only way to turn the controller off is to pop out the battery pack

I also unplugged my 360 since it turns on when I turn on the controller lol

I did the same lol.

The controller turns off if it's not used for a couple minutes, wish there was a way to do it with the guide button though.

Sora_N

Weird, my copy from gamestop.com only charged me $23 (also ups).

QaaQer

I just received my first two game from my E3 futurshop orders. They don't ship them with any invoice or other paperwork, just the gamebox.

Is there going to be a problem returning a game @ Futureshop without a receipt or something?

Pikmin box smells like playdoh.

frequency

I just received my first two game from my E3 futurshop orders. They don't ship them with any invoice or other paperwork, just the gamebox.

Is there going to be a problem returning a game @ Futureshop without a receipt or something?

They stopped printing the packing slips some time ago. You need to show them on your phone or print out a copy from the website to return a game.

trixx

Okay so i managed to snag black ops 2 and assasins creed for ten bucks on wii u. It seemed as if someone opened it took the club nintendo code and returned it back to walmart. I havent opened Assasins creed yet but if someone really wants it ill sell it for the price i got it for.

I will only sell it to wii u owners though.

teeg

Okay so i managed to snag black ops 2 and assasins creed for ten bucks on wii u. It seemed as if someone opened it took the club nintendo code and returned it back to walmart. I havent opened Assasins creed yet but if someone really wants it ill sell it for the price i got it for.

I'll buy it off you if you will ship to Canada!

Edit: Forgot what thread I was in... Canadian deals. Anyways PM sent.

I don't believe Black OPS 2 had a Club Nintendo code.

Try calling UPS and (politely) complaining. I can't guarantee it, but there's a chance they'll knock something off their (atrocious) fee. My brokerage was a lot lower (just $10 for something I ordered about a month ago), but they offered to cut it in half without me even asking.

trixx

Can someone help me out I'd love to mail this game but I'm unfamiliar with shipping transaction process if someone could help me out I'd appreciate it.

Mikey Jr.

Hey guys, what is the Canadian alternative to monoprice? Fucking FS and Source want $25 for HDMI cables.

Fuckin crooks.

Sora_N

Try calling UPS and (politely) complaining. I can't guarantee it, but there's a chance they'll knock something off their (atrocious) fee. My brokerage was a lot lower (just $10 for something I ordered about a month ago), but they offered to cut it in half without me even asking.

This is before you actually pay right? This is the first time I used UPS and got charged, was lucky the other time.

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
Hey guys, what is the Canadian alternative to monoprice? Fucking FS and Source want $25 for HDMI cables.

Fuckin crooks.

Do you have a Dollarama in your town (not sure if it's just in Quebec)? If so, they have HDMI cable for 1 buck. I use one for my Xbox 360 and it works without problem.

zroid

Banned
Dunno if anyone was hunting for a copy of The Last Story limited edition, but there were two at the Best Buy in Markham. Maybe there are some elsewhere too? I never saw them in this store before, so I'm assuming they were shipped to various stores from the warehouse to try and clear them out. $39.99.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
i feel you, bro

but my wallet says no when the alternative is a $40 LE :(
Yeah, that's what I thought. But seeing the wacky prices for the figure, which seemingly varies from reasonable to insane, is making me want to keep it. But it's just another Halo 3 cat helmet. :( lol

TheExodu5

Banned
Any good place to buy a Nexus 4 right now that I can use for Wind mobile? Either off contract or on a contract I can easily cancel. Killed my Galaxy S3 over the weekend. =\

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
Any good place to buy a Nexus 4 right now that I can use for Wind mobile? Either off contract or on a contract I can easily cancel. Killed my Galaxy S3 over the weekend. =

I just bought one from Walmart. Some cashiers might be dicks selling it outright but just tell them you're already a customer. I bought 2 outright with zero hassle for $300 each + tax.

Fellow Toronto GAF, anyone interested in a used Sony SS-EC78 stereo system? It's in great shape, buuuut it won't fit on my TV shelf, I might just opt for a Logitech stereo I saw at Best Buy for $99, look small and compact, should be perfect I would think.

It's naturally big and quite heavy, so if you want it, you come to me. PM me with an offer.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
Yep, all over Toronto and are like $2.

When I tried to play some old dvds, my screen went all static. Then I used a $6 hdmi cable from monoprice, no problem.

Fuckin crooks.

Home Depot had some really cheap HDMI cables on clearance for $2 or so, but they can be hard to find (went to one that showed 20 in the system and no one could find any).

I bought one from Meritline.com for $1.5 with free shipping. Still waiting for it though...

Otherwise go with Monoprice.

krae_man

Any good place to buy a Nexus 4 right now that I can use for Wind mobile? Either off contract or on a contract I can easily cancel. Killed my Galaxy S3 over the weekend. =\

I just bought one from Walmart. Some cashiers might be dicks selling it outright but just tell them you're already a customer. I bought 2 outright with zero hassle for $300 each + tax.

Liquidus is referring to the Koodo Version. It's $300 if you buy it outright. You may need to unlock it however.

Fuckin crooks.

Lots of Dollar stores have HDMI cables now. Places like Walmart, HMV and Zellers(don't know if Target will be the same or not) had HDMI cables in the $10 range last time I checked if you want something with a easy return policy.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
Liquidus is referring to the Koodo Version. It's $300 if you buy it outright. You may need to unlock it however.

Lots of Dollar stores have HDMI cables now. Places like Walmart, HMV and Zellers(don't know if Target will be the same or not) had HDMI cables in the $10 range last time I checked if you want something with a easy return policy.

All Nexus phones are unlocked.

ElNino

Question: does amazon not care about the package cost when they deliver Canada post and drop it off the door?
Not sure what their criteria is, but most of my Amazon packages have been small enough to fit in my community mail box so I haven't had any issues with them. UPS on the other hand will leave every single package at my door regardless of size or cost even if I am home. They will ring once then just leave the package and run back to the truck before I can even get to the door. Considering I have two high schools walking distance from my home, I am very lucky that no packages have gone missing yet.

Luigi87

Not sure what their criteria is, but most of my Amazon packages have been small enough to fit in my community mail box so I haven't had any issues with them. UPS on the other hand will leave every single package at my door regardless of size or cost even if I am home. They will ring once then just leave the package and run back to the truck before I can even get to the door. Considering I have two high schools walking distance from my home, I am very lucky that no packages have gone missing yet.

So this. UPS once left my CE of BioShock 2 outside of my house, in the snow, never knocked or rang the door, yet everyone was home, and only my screen door was closed.

Hate UPS.

ElNino

Ok, so is there a way for me to specify who I ship with with amazon?
You can select different shipping options as far as priority goes (express, normal, etc) but I don't believe you can choose the shipper. I've never selected anything other than the cheapest option though so I don't know if they use different companys for the other options.

Would a KDF-55E2000 Sony DLP be a good choice for me? Someone is selling it for $50 and it seems to need a new lamp which can be around $100 (one site has it for $91 odd with free shipping).

DLP TVs should display 480p content natively right? The TV is also natively 1280x720 so that's nice as well (wouldn't matter if it would show that natively as well on a 1080p set...).

Apparently the whole thing was worth $3000 when it came out, damn son.

Top Bottom