• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 3: Pining for the Good Old Days Edition

ElNino

Would a KDF-55E2000 Sony DLP be a good choice for me? Someone is selling it for $50 and it seems to need a new lamp which can be around $100 (one site has it for $91 odd with free shipping).

DLP TVs should display 480p content natively right? The TV is also natively 1280x720 so that's nice as well (wouldn't matter if it would show that natively as well on a 1080p set...).

Apparently the whole thing was worth $3000 when it came out, damn son.
That would be a rear projection LCD TV, not DLP. I don't believe Sony has ever made a DLP.

As far as being a good choice? That's a tough one. I still have a 42" rear projection in my bedroom, but I would gladly move my plasma up from the family room. It's not that it has poor picture quality, but it is noisy (due to spinning fans and colour wheel) and has terrible viewing angles.

Not sure what their criteria is, but most of my Amazon packages have been small enough to fit in my community mail box so I haven't had any issues with them. UPS on the other hand will leave every single package at my door regardless of size or cost even if I am home. They will ring once then just leave the package and run back to the truck before I can even get to the door. Considering I have two high schools walking distance from my home, I am very lucky that no packages have gone missing yet.

I pretty much tell everyone, UPS drops off your parcel like a kid dropping off a bag of flaming dog poo. I can't believe they're still being used as a shipping option; their corporate prices must be damn cheap.

Yawnier

Banned
Looks like WM has a bunch of 3DS games for $35 this week:

Dream Team
NSMB 2
Luigi's Mansion 2
DKCR 3D
Animal Crossing: NL

Its the regular price anyways for the last two games mentioned, but hey five bucks off is five bucks off, almost as good of a sale on first party Nintendo games you're going to get for new copies of them besides Black Friday/Boxing Day.

Orca

Would a KDF-55E2000 Sony DLP be a good choice for me? Someone is selling it for $50 and it seems to need a new lamp which can be around $100 (one site has it for $91 odd with free shipping).

DLP TVs should display 480p content natively right? The TV is also natively 1280x720 so that's nice as well (wouldn't matter if it would show that natively as well on a 1080p set...).

Apparently the whole thing was worth $3000 when it came out, damn son.

Isn't that one of the sets that had a widespread optical block issue? I had one and the picture yellowed badly to the point going black and white was black and yellow. They had techs replace the block once, then when it happened again a year later they gave me a deal on a new slightly larger set for $500. I think it was part of a class action lawsuit they lost, forcing them to extend warranty on the sets and provide compensation if the set continued to have issues.

DaBoss

Dream Team
NSMB 2
Luigi's Mansion 2
DKCR 3D

Its the regular price anyways for the last two games mentioned, but hey five bucks off is five bucks off, almost as good of a sale on first party Nintendo games you're going to get for new copies of them besides Black Friday/Boxing Day.

Thanks for the heads up, will probably buy Dream Team from Wal-Mart. When does the deal finish?

That would be a rear projection LCD TV, not DLP. I don't believe Sony has ever made a DLP.

As far as being a good choice? That's a tough one. I still have a 42" rear projection in my bedroom, but I would gladly move my plasma up from the family room. It's not that it has poor picture quality, but it is noisy (due to spinning fans and colour wheel) and has terrible viewing angles.

Isn't that one of the sets that had a widespread optical block issue? I had one and the picture yellowed badly to the point going black and white was black and yellow. They had techs replace the block once, then when it happened again a year later they gave me a deal on a new slightly larger set for $500. I think it was part of a class action lawsuit they lost, forcing them to extend warranty on the sets and provide compensation if the set continued to have issues.

So should I not bother then?

TheExodu5

Banned
Ended up picking up a Nexus 4 at Black's of all places.

$300 Koodo phone, but they sold it to me off plan/contract. 16GB, no lock. Just popped in my Wind SIM and I was good to go.

krae_man

I keep forgetting to update my credit card info on all my E3 preorders. I keep getting decline emails every time they try to charge my card since I had to change the EXP to place the orders.

It gets fixed up but it always causes a 1-2 day delay in getting my games.

Sora_N

Anyone been receiving USPS stuff in the mail lately? Other than some skins, nothing has gotten to me in the past 4 weeks. Really strange. Don't think it's the seller's fault, but wondering if something's up with USPS or my mailman. I've been getting my FS/BB orders fine though.

Greyvvolf

Anyone been receiving USPS stuff in the mail lately? Other than some skins, nothing has gotten to me in the past 4 weeks. Really strange. Don't think it's the seller's fault, but wondering if something's up with USPS or my mailman. I've been getting my FS/BB orders fine though.
I bought something online and it was sent on July 31st from California through USPS. The package should be here tomorrow or Monday for sure judging by the tracking code. Maybe something to do with the seller or mailman?

btkadams

did anybody else's zelda wii u (not wind waker) futureshop e3 preorder turn into the wind waker?

i ordered the wind waker, x, and zelda wii u and now the order shows x and two wind wakers.

khaaan

did anybody else's zelda wii u (not wind waker) futureshop e3 preorder turn into the wind waker?

i ordered the wind waker, x, and zelda wii u and now the order shows x and two wind wakers.

Yep, someone noticed this a little while back. You need to give Futureshop a call and have them change it back.

OK, so given that I don't have control over who ships, how they ship it, then why are people suggesting to order a PS4 or a XBoxOne through Amazon? Sounds like a recipe for it to get stolen.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member

Dream Team
NSMB 2
Luigi's Mansion 2
DKCR 3D

hmm....35 for dream team...and NSMB... hmm....

zroid

Banned
Trade 1 for Dream Team at FS and BB. The list is probably gonna be shit, though.

Also, bit of advice. Instead of buying Dream Team at Wal-Mart for $35, pre-order it at BB in-store if possible, but online works too. Then price match it (when you pick up the game if in-store, or after it ships if online). You'll get your 800 RZ points and the game will cost $34.50.

I recommend doing it in-stores because I believe they have some physical pre-order bonus (a pair of 3DS decals), which is unavailable online.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Also, bit of advice. Instead of buying Dream Team at Wal-Mart for $35, pre-order it at BB in-store if possible, but online works too. Then price match it (when you pick up the game if in-store, or after it ships if online). You'll get your 800 RZ points and the game will cost $34.50.

I recommend doing it in-stores because I believe they have some physical pre-order bonus (a pair of 3DS decals), which is unavailable online.
If I didn't pre-order it during E3 that's exactly what I would do.

Yawnier

Banned
Trade 1 for Dream Team at FS and BB. The list is probably gonna be shit, though.

I would do this, but no BBs in the province I currently live in.

I needs more shelf space for mai games!

Any suggestions on cheap options? I'm in a bachelor so I don't have much room for another proper shelf, but maybe like a tall tower shelf could work, doesn't need to be made of wood or whatever, just good enough.

And preferably with drawers.

Actually perhaps just a short drawer shelf below chest level would be best.

For what it'd cost you to get it and repair it, if it's better than what you have I'd still go for it. If it only lasts a year after that I'd be pissed, but you should get a couple years out of it and be happy with it.

I might have a brilliant shot at another TV if all goes well and no one else takes it.

Separately, someone's offering me an old (but really good conditioned going by the photos) Daytek WTN 15E2, 15" with a native res of 1024x768 with a 16:9 mode (the guy says so), says the remote's glitchy (wasn't specific), and for $30.

If anything it'd make a nice monitor or secondary TV to whatever big one I'll eventually get. Could be good enough for Wii and such as it would be 1024x576 in 16:9 mode so Wii games would hardly be scaled, yeah they won't be native, but it'd be even better than when shown on a 1280x720/1366x768/1920x1080 TV. Hell it might be the best 4:3 TV for it since in 16:9 it's that or 800x450 (on a 800x600 set) or 640x360 (on a 640x480 set), it's the only one above native. Don't know what's preferable, upscaling or downscaling.

Thoughts?

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
OK, so given that I don't have control over who ships, how they ship it, then why are people suggesting to order a PS4 or a XBoxOne through Amazon? Sounds like a recipe for it to get stolen.

It is, that's why I monitor the tracking of the items. When I know they're coming, I usually sit by the door, and wait for UPS to dump the item, and leave without ringing the doorbell.

Tales of Xillia :CE was just sitting there on Tuesday, and I wasn't expecting it until the 13th. lol

Lurkee

Neo Member
I might have a brilliant shot at another TV if all goes well and no one else takes it.

Separately, someone's offering me an old (but really good conditioned going by the photos) Daytek WTN 15E2, 15" with a native res of 1024x768 with a 16:9 mode (the guy says so), says the remote's glitchy (wasn't specific), and for $30.

If anything it'd make a nice monitor or secondary TV to whatever big one I'll eventually get. Could be good enough for Wii and such as it would be 1024x576 in 16:9 mode so Wii games would hardly be scaled, yeah they won't be native, but it'd be even better than when shown on a 1280x720/1366x768/1920x1080 TV. Hell it might be the best 4:3 TV for it since in 16:9 it's that or 800x450 (on a 800x600 set) or 640x360 (on a 640x480 set), it's the only one above native. Don't know what's preferable, upscaling or downscaling.

Thoughts?

What's your budget? For a TV of that age and size, the seller must be thanking the stars he can still get money for it. If you're looking for something affordable but of great value, BestBuy and Future Shop's house brand, Dynex or Insignia, is something to consider. Their 40 and 42 inch LCD/LED TVs go on sale often throughout the year, and they're usually made by LG or other top TV manufacturers. Buying new (and with certain credit cards) gives you a warranty too in case something goes wrong.

http://www.bestbuy.ca/Search/SearchResults.aspx?path=ca77b9b4beca91fe414314b86bb581f8en20&q=%252a&sp=BBY_en-CA_Product_Collection_Site-WideSP&Facet=cBBYMCCPCatalogenCAPresentationHierarchy1%2523%2523-1%2523%2523-1%257e%257eq2a%257e%257ecBBYMCCPCatalogenCA21344%2523%25235%2523%25235g%257e%257enf28%257c%257c494e5349474e4941&viewall=true&targetCategory=21344

What's your budget? For a TV of that age and size, the seller must be thanking the stars he can still get money for it. If you're looking for something affordable but of great value, BestBuy and Future Shop's house brand, Dynex or Insignia, is something to consider. Their 40 and 42 inch LCD/LED TVs go on sale often throughout the year, and they're usually made by LG or other top TV manufacturers. Buying new (and with certain credit cards) gives you a warranty too in case something goes wrong.

Unfortunately in Ontario there's the BS Eco fee that apparently went in effect three odd years ago. For a 32" for instance it's $40. :/

And all stores have this, even standalone budget stores, what the FUCK?!

Budget is $300 for an excellent one.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
Unfortunately in Ontario there's the BS Eco fee that apparently went in effect three odd years ago. For a 32" for instance it's $40. :/

And all stores have this, even standalone budget stores, what the FUCK?!

Budget is $300 for an excellent one.

If your budget is $300 you might as well go for an insignia or dynex brand unless you look on Kijiji. We had a cheap insignia 24 inch set at work with was $200 and it was pretty decent as a gaming TV.

Personally you should save up so more (another $300) and buy yourself a bigger Sony LCD or Panasonic Plasma. Stay away from shitty Samsung garbage lol (those capacitors love to blow).

Edit- you might as well get a Sony PlayStation 3D Display if your stuck under the $300 mark. They aren't too bad once you figure it out.

LGom09

I'm actually in the same boat. Bought a game from someone that's been in transit (apparently) for nearly a month now.

Ondore

Futureshop and Best Buy have DKCR3D for $29.99 this week, and FS has the XL for $20 off and is doing $10 off a September game with Mario and Luigi purchase.

Really? Walmart will know my copy coming in the mail isnt from the store?

FUCK. What are my options to remedy this......

Just a heads up, I had no problem returning my FS copy at Wal-Mart yesterday with my WM receipt. The UPC codes are identical; there's no way they can tell the games apart.

LGom09

Damn, could have had Dream Team today. Just got a missed delivery notice. Don't they usually just drop those in the mailbox (games in bubble mailers, I mean)?

Haines

Banned
Just a heads up, I had no problem returning my FS copy at Wal-Mart yesterday with my WM receipt. The UPC codes are identical; there's no way they can tell the games apart.

Same buddy. Not sure what that other guy was on about. Maybe collectors editions or something...

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
If your budget is $300 you might as well go for an insignia or dynex brand unless you look on Kijiji. We had a cheap insignia 24 inch set at work with was $200 and it was pretty decent as a gaming TV.

Personally you should save up so more (another $300) and buy yourself a bigger Sony LCD or Panasonic Plasma. Stay away from shitty Samsung garbage lol (those capacitors love to blow).

Edit- you might as well get a Sony PlayStation 3D Display if your stuck under the $300 mark. They aren't too bad once you figure it out.
There are numerous warnings from Gaffers stating its unreliability

Sora_N

Try calling UPS and (politely) complaining. I can't guarantee it, but there's a chance they'll knock something off their (atrocious) fee. My brokerage was a lot lower (just $10 for something I ordered about a month ago), but they offered to cut it in half without me even asking.

I got a bad CSR lol, she was chewing gum over the phone too. I got charged $10 + taxes, I guess there's no dispute over $23. It still stings a little since I forgot to cancel that order. I should have just complained but I guess I'll leave it at this point.

Cheerilee

I needs more shelf space for mai games!

Any suggestions on cheap options? I'm in a bachelor so I don't have much room for another proper shelf, but maybe like a tall tower shelf could work, doesn't need to be made of wood or whatever, just good enough.

And preferably with drawers.

Actually perhaps just a short drawer shelf below chest level would be best.

Cinder blocks and an old door cut lengthwise (a new door is fine too, but not your front door, because you probably still need that one).

Or maybe some milk crates.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Easiest thing for shelves is to check Kijiji--there are always people everywhere getting rid of cheap shelves for cheap. When I moved to my current place I got two IKEA disc towers off a student who had graduated and was moving home for $15 or $20 and then when I didn't like the look of them I resold them for the same price within a day. Only tough thing is that most people don't deliver so you'd have to pick it up, which can be tough if you don't have a car and are depending on the subway or bus.

Top Bottom