• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 3: Pining for the Good Old Days Edition

Lexxism

lol the lady was like why don't you buy it from shoppers and she won't match it since the difference is too big.

Lmao. Why they have the price match in the first place if they will not match the lowest price? :lol

Where are you? There are stocks at Downtown FS and BB.

DaBoss

Lmao. Why they have the price match in the first place if they will not match the lowest price? :lol

Where are you? There are stocks at Downtown FS and BB.
I know right? Oh well

I went to the Scarborough locations on Warden and just about getting home.
It said best buy warden had it on their site as well.

Tuck

Yeah the guy was a bit of a dick. Said because the flyer says "limited quantities" it did not apply. Can't check another location unfortunately. No time today, and no chance to get to another store later this week (too far, no car)

Also, pretty sure it's an error as I picked up a paper flyer today and it showed the game at full price.

Lexxism

Also, pretty sure it's an error as I picked up a paper flyer today and it showed the game at full price.

Now that you said it, yeah, you were right. It's really a pricing error. I think better PM the game before SDM change the price :lol

Anth0ny

Yeah the guy was a bit of a dick. Said because the flyer says "limited quantities" it did not apply. Can't check another location unfortunately. No time today, and no chance to get to another store later this week (too far, no car)

yup, it's definitely an error. went to sdm and they laughed in my face and showed me the proper price in the paper flyer.

keep trying to price match at future shops, I guess.

Tuck

Good luck to those trying to get Animal Crossing - it honestly depends on the employee you get. Glad to hear at least some people got it.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Gravity Rush is $14.99 @ amazon

i'm tempted
It's a good game, and that's worth it if you don't have PS Plus.

Good luck to those trying to get Animal Crossing - it honestly depends on the employee you get. Glad to hear at least some people got it.
It's a lot easier now that employees are able to do PMs without manager approval anyway. I admit I grabbed one on the off chance it's back on the list when Luigi WiiU comes out.

Here's my fun story when it comes to dealing with Telus over the past month. A nice cautionary tale.

I move back home in the summers and stay with my folks, which meant Bell satellite TV (awesome for the NHL playoffs) and slowish internet (a third party ISP). I convinced them that it'd be better if we dropped a bunch of the TV packages and used those savings to upgrade our internet speeds (since they're using Netflix and Apple TV a lot more now). So I was going to go to Teksavvy for internet (and just drop some satellite TV channels but stick with Bell).

Firestorm, the mod who patrols this thread noticed me posting about switching and offered me a deal, as he works with Telus. Throughout the process he's been quite helpful, answering numerous PM's I've sent over the weeks. He suggested Optik TV + Internet 50 bundle. I was worried that Optik TV wouldn't work in the house, since it has old and odd wiring, but he said Telus' techs get stuff done. So I bought a PVR that was on sale at London Drugs and signed up.

Fast forward to the installation date: what was supposed to take 1-3 hours wound up taking 8. And after 8 hours, the tech guys could only get the internet up and running, not the TV, (this was on a Friday) and they'd have to try again on Tuesday. They come in Tuesday, drill some holes in the attic wall, work for 6 hours, and then give up. To their credit, they were doing all that they could and I appreciate their effort, but the 14 hours of work time that I forfeited already dwarfed the potential savings I was getting with the Telus bundle. The tech guys informed me that Telus was coming out with a wireless Optik TV in the coming months that might work with the house, so we should wait for that. Meaning we had to re-up with Bell TV and do that every month until the wireless receiver is released.

I told Firestorm everything that had happened, and he suggested we shift to a different Internet-only plan in the interim which would be the same price. So we did, and everything was good for about 4 days until the internet speeds dropped to 16up/4down. Which was still better than what we had before, so it wasn't a huge deal. The order for the new internet bundle went through and Telus said it would be 2 weeks until they could send a technician in.

I said, "Huh?" I told them the internet was working fine, but they insisted that they had to send a technician in to get the 50 going again. I told them that the 50 was working fine up until a few days ago, and after explaining everything that had happened, twice, he insisted that this was the case. So I gave up and said fine. The technician is scheduled to come now in just over a week today, meaning I'm going to have to forfeit more of my working day for some reason.

Then yesterday happened. The internet went down to 1up/0.5down. Which I think is better than 56k, which is what I used to game with on the Dreamcast, so there's that. After a full day of monitoring it on Speedtest and realizing that was what we were getting, I called up Telus yet again today (by the way, they have only 5 songs on rotation when they put you on hold: Oasis - Wondewall and Queen - You're My Best Friend are the only two good ones).

It turns out that because they cancelled the Optik TV/Internet 50 bundle and put through an order for the different Internet 50 standalone, they're now viewing us as unpaying customers, meaning we're getting the bare minimum. I told them that we'd be willing to pay a little this month in order to bump it up to 10up because there are 8 people in this house that all use the internet and 1up isn't going to work, but she said that would wreck the queue of the new order and our installation date would be later.

So basically now we're going to have to deal with ten days of narrowband internet because Telus' system bumped us down from 16, after bumping us down from 50, because they insisted that they needed to send a new tech in to set up the new service that was already working, and there's a general ETA on a wireless TV system that may or may not work, and most likely will not work with the PVR I already bought and will now have to sell on Craigslist.

So for those reasons, I'm going to have a nice chat with a SHAW rep in a few minutes and explore my options, because god damn am I tired of this.

Firestorm

Jesus I am really sorry about all that Mike x.x Never had that experience and if I knew it could get that bad I'd never have suggested going forward with it :(

Sora_N

Had an awful experience at EB when I was returning Xillia. This low-level moron is not even corporate, I hate people who stick to their stupid policies.

-I brought the packing slip
-I brought the correct credit card

He first said it doesn't show what method of payment I used, saying that he can't return it. It says on the fucking packing slip that you can return to the store, does it matter? Really? I had to use my data to show him my bank charge for the amount to gamestop.ca $111.99.

Then he also had to comment saying that next time I can't return unless the shipping name is the same as mine (I shipped to my friend). I had no problems returning to anyone else at other EBs, except this guy. I'm sending a complaint now through the survey.

He made me waste much more time than I expected. The other staff there are alright, except this guy.

On the other side of the coin, I had to return something at Best Buy after. He didn't even ask me why I wanted to return and did it super fast.

I had a few complications with the CSR for trading there but after he directed me to a Game Department CSR I was able to trade in for Mario & Luigi and even got the decal.

Kazerei

Banned
Gravity Rush is $14.99 @ amazon

i'm tempted

Try the demo, that should give you a sense of how bad the controls and the combat are :\

Although I will say my favorite thing about Gravity Rush is the open-world exploration, which you don't get to do in the demo.

I was hoping Animal Crossing was one of the qualifying games for Mario and Luigi

Just my luck that it isn't.

Hope A Link Between Worlds will be one of those Future Shop trade in games.

zroid

Banned
Try the demo, that should give you a sense of how bad the controls and the combat are :\

Although I will say my favorite thing about Gravity Rush is the open-world exploration, which you don't get to do in the demo.

I did try the demo and that's the primary reason I haven't picked it up till now, lol. :(

I was very hyped for it before then. But $15 might be just low enough to give it a chance.

Had an awful experience at EB when I was returning Xillia. This low-level moron is not even corporate, I hate people who stick to their stupid policies.

He first said it doesn't show what method of payment I used, saying that he can't return it. It says on the fucking packing slip that you can return to the store, does it matter? Really? I had to use my data to show him my bank charge for the amount to gamestop.ca $111.99.

Then he also had to comment saying that next time I can't return unless the shipping name is the same as mine (I shipped to my friend). I had no problems returning to anyone else at other EBs, except this guy. I'm sending a complaint now through the survey.

He made me waste much more time than I expected. The other staff there are alright, except this guy.

On the other side of the coin, I had to return something at Best Buy after. He didn't even ask me why I wanted to return and did it super fast.

I had a few complications with the CSR for trading there but after he directed me to a Game Department CSR I was able to trade in for Mario & Luigi and even got the decal.

EB Games is an experience you won't get at any other store. Weird policies such as having gov't id when everywhere else a receipt only is acceptable. I try to avoid them as much as i can. Returning stuff anywhere else (wal-mart/fs/bb) is always guaranteed to be quick and painless.

Sora_N

EB Games is an experience you won't get at any other store. Weird policies such as having gov't id when everywhere else a receipt only is acceptable. I try to avoid them as much as i can. Returning stuff anywhere else (wal-mart/fs/bb) is always guaranteed to be quick and painless.

I read that if an employee gets a bad feedback it will actually affect them.

I just submitted their online survey for once, I always ignore them. I hope a manager contacts me, it is always pretty quick and painless except for with this dude. Last time he was the one that said I can't return one game I had in an order (LOTR Lego) because I would get free shipping with the other items and they totalled under $20. I went to another EB 10 minutes away and had no problem.

I don't think I'm going to preorder at this EB in the future either, their other staff are fine. Just this guy.

Also I think Gov't ID is only required for some refunds at EB now, lol. But yes it is a stupid policy.

I generally don't shop at EB unless I have to (preorder bonus, exclusive games).

Astra

I returned something about 1 or 2 days after the return period and they didn't even blink.

Laptops, with a shorter return period, might be a little trickier though.

I was able to return it, even being 5 days beyond the return period. There were two women at the returns counter, and one looked really nice, and the other seemed pretty sour. So I made sure to go to the nice looking one, and was able to return it without issue. She had to call and check with her manager, and told him I was 2 days past the return date (I was 5), so I got store credit.

I've had nothing but positive experiences with Futureshop in all the years I have been shopping there.

Yeah, BB/FS are fantastic for returns.
Though I've never had a problem returning to my local EBgames. I had a game, the GOW collection, that I got for Christmas. No receipt, but the guy at EBgames took it back no problem. I guess it all depends on who you get.

Sora_N

I was able to return it, even being 5 days beyond the return period. There were two women at the returns counter, and one looked really nice, and the other seemed pretty sour. So I made sure to go to the nice looking one, and was able to return it without issue. She had to call and check with her manager, and told him I was 2 days past the return date (I was 5), so I got store credit.

I've had nothing but positive experiences with Futureshop in all the years I have been shopping there.

I used to have beef with FS over pricematches, but honestly they've seemed to work out their policies pretty well over the past few years so I would say the same. BB/FS are pretty pleasant to shop at now.

Yeah, BB/FS are fantastic for returns.
Though I've never had a problem returning to my local EBgames. I had a game, the GOW collection, that I got for Christmas. No receipt, but the guy at EBgames took it back no problem. I guess it all depends on who you get.

I think you were just lucky at that EB, there are always some good EB stores.

chrono01

Wow, that's unfortunate to hear. I'm glad everything worked out for you, though!

When I returned my second Tales of Xillia: Collector's Edition [I had an order shipped from Gamestop.com in addition to EBGames.ca], the guy working there was great. He kept asking if it was alright to return this game, considering how rare it is, and made sure I was confident in my decision. He seemed really enthusiastic, he was probably debating purchasing it for himself. When I told him that I had a second, he refunded me not on my debit card [my credit card was used for the purchase] but cash. He didn't have enough in the register to complete it so you got another person working there to retrieve the total amount. I completed the return, parted ways, and that was that. He said that the Collector's Edition likely wouldn't remain long in the store and, given the rarity of it, I don't doubt it.

I guess I managed to strike a good EBGames. :)

Sora_N

Wow, that's unfortunate to hear. I'm glad everything worked out for you, though!

When I returned my second Tales of Xillia: Collector's Edition [I had an order shipped from Gamestop.com in addition to EBGames.ca], the guy working there was great. He kept asking if it was alright to return this game, considering how rare it is, and made sure I was confident in my decision. He seemed really enthusiastic, he was probably debating purchasing it for himself. When I told him that I had a second, he refunded me not on my debit card [my credit card was used for the purchase] but cash. He didn't have enough in the register to complete it so you got another person working there to retrieve the total amount. I completed the return, parted ways, and that was that. He said that the Collector's Edition likely wouldn't remain long in the store and, given the rarity of it, I don't doubt it.

I guess I managed to strike a good EBGames. :)

Did you return the GS one or the EB one?

There are definitely good stores/employees at EB, I don't usually have awful experiences at EB tbh. I just feel pretty angry about this one guy, I think I just really wanted the $111 off m hands.

I forgot how I did it exactly but I found an e-mail on their website and got the district manager of a specific location, the guy was excellent gave me his number and told me to call him and tell him about the issue and how the employee handled it - which was pretty awful and that person no longer works there anymore.

chrono01

Did you return the GS one or the EB one?

There are definitely good stores/employees at EB, I don't usually have awful experiences at EB tbh. I just feel pretty angry about this one guy, I think I just really wanted the $111 off m hands.
It was a GS location although, as you likely know, they're essentially one and the same.

I was actually to the store a couple times in the past and they've always been great. It's definitely one of my preferred stores should I need to purchase something physically and not online.

Sora_N

I forgot how I did it exactly but I found an e-mail on their website and got the district manager of a specific location, the guy was excellent gave me his number and told me to call him and tell him about the issue and how the employee handled it - which was pretty awful and that person no longer works there anymore.

Great, guy really needs to learn how to not act like a manager and learn some manners. I worked retail for a few years before, you have to be nice to customers.

Where'd you get the Black Kyurem?

Got it from Toys 'R Us, I was looking for White Kyurem too but they only had 2 Black ones. Going to Worlds the past weekend made me want some more merchandise.

Sora_N

How much? I think I might visit TRU tomorrow just to see one :lol

It's 12.99, it's a little pricey but they are pretty big. Vinyl figures so the details are a little soft, the big size makes it up for these guys. Also i think US TRU is $15.99 so it's a little less here!

I'm probably gonna buy White Kyurem, Reshiram and Zekrom later too. :)

There's smaller 4" ones that are $8.99 iirc if you want smaller.

ohlawd

can I buy that Mario/Luigi 3DS decal by itself?

When I went to pick up my Dream Team preorder at BB, they ran out :/

Little bro was kinda bummed out when I got home Monday without it.

Sora_N

can I buy that Mario/Luigi 3DS decal by itself?

When I went to pick up my Dream Team preorder at BB, they ran out :/

Little bro was kinda bummed out when I got home Monday without it.

Don't think so, the guy got me one from a folder that said preorders. He only gave me one since there was one spare. Maybe try asking at other stores?

ohlawd

Don't think so, the guy got me one from a folder that said preorders. He only gave me one since there was one spare. Maybe try asking at other stores?

shit ok.... doesn't hurt to try lol. It's already Thursday tomorrow oh man every other store prolly ran out already.

Quadratic

I know it's pretty old but are there any deals going for Call of Duty Black Ops II 360? Generally CoD's retain their value since they are so popular online. However, I mainly play them for the single player.

I really wish game rental stores were still around. I might break down and buy a used copy at EB and trade it back after a single player run. Futureshop has used copies for 44.99 lol.

dream

From Friday's flyers:
lIf8bo3.jpg

m2m5hEA.jpg

W6zMa0y.jpg

(Posting from my phone--apologies if the pics get mangled)

ohlawd

that image is huge.

yo nvm the 12 gig PS3, how much is the cheapest 360? $199.99?

Really feeling that Tales of Vesperia.

Top Bottom