• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 3: Pining for the Good Old Days Edition

Lexxism

Wow. OG 3DS is back to $100 again.

It's 12.99, it's a little pricey but they are pretty big. Vinyl figures so the details are a little soft, the big size makes it up for these guys. Also i think US TRU is $15.99 so it's a little less here!

I'm probably gonna buy White Kyurem, Reshiram and Zekrom later too. :)

There's smaller 4" ones that are $8.99 iirc if you want smaller.

Sweet. I think I'll visit TRU tomorrow. Hopefully I can find one.

iLLmAtlc

Weird, seems pretty gimped when so many good games have big installs. Or have they found a way to address that problem that I missed?

Vamphuntr

Got my 3DS back then for 100$ with the Tsilon deal. Now it's sad the website is pretty much dead. No updates at all for a while now.

Yawnier

Banned
that image is huge.

yo nvm the 12 gig PS3, how much is the cheapest 360? $199.99?

Really feeling that Tales of Vesperia.

4GB 360 (the cheapest) goes for $199.99.

For Black Friday and/or Boxing Day, watch them go for $129 or $149 though. Maybe even cheaper.

Yea, you're right. It hasn't been confirmed by SCEA officially. It already exists in Europe and Japan I think.

I believe so its already in other territories, at least Europe IIRC.

jokkir

I got both Animal Crossing and Mario & Luigi today from Futureshop Dundas/Yonge location today. The guy there was really cool about it and apparently another person asked before me if they can price match AC:NL.

wNVKQPw.jpg

Finally got the game! :)

Madness

that image is huge.

yo nvm the 12 gig PS3, how much is the cheapest 360? $199.99?

Really feeling that Tales of Vesperia.

Yeah, but last Christmas they had the 4gb version of x360 for $99 at future shop. So I'm pretty sure they'll have some clearances this year as well. Especially since the E Model is now in stores too.

Well, this is annoying.

I went to buy something off of Future Shop tonight and received an alert that my billing address was missing. Seems odd since it's always been there. Apparently, the my billing address has been removed and the system won't let me add it back.

Fuck, this better not mess up my E3 preorders.

Fuck

ohlawd

guess I'll wait for the holidays for a 360.

I don't know jackshit about the 360; I assume I'll have no problems just popping in ToV in there and start playing?

ohlawd

Problem with E Model - No Component/Optical Outs. It's HDMI or nothing for HD.
eh that's okay. I'll give it my PS3's HDMI since I doubt I'm getting anything new for it this year after finishing Milla's route in Tales of Xillia and platinum'ing Atelier Ayesha.

iLLmAtlc

Well, this is annoying.

I went to buy something off of Future Shop tonight and received an alert that my billing address was missing. Seems odd since it's always been there. Apparently, the my billing address has been removed and the system won't let me add it back.

Fuck, this better not mess up my E3 preorders.

Fuck

Their shit is pretty glitchy, I think it's something you can clear up,easily with a call.

Here's my fun story when it comes to dealing with Telus over the past month. A nice cautionary tale.

My wife loves Telus. I loathe them. I had years of abysmal service while they were the only game in town. When I cancelled their service I wrote them a farewell letter, dripping with venom.

I know the hate you have dwelling in you. I've been there.

And how long can they coast on that old Clearnet Ad Campaign? Guys, that campaign jumped the shark when you had to move the animals around in After Effects because you couldn't get them to move the way you wanted them to. Then the shark jumped you when you gave up and went with CG Pandas. ugh.

J-Man

I'm thinking about getting a new phone with Virgin mobile on a two year contract (currently with Wind), anyone have any experience with them and how are they?

I have no problems with Wind, I've just moved outside of the Wind zone, so I need better coverage.

FrsDvl

So for those reasons, I'm going to have a nice chat with a SHAW rep in a few minutes and explore my options, because god damn am I tired of this.

I've been with Shaw for about 1.5 years now after switching from Telus. Shaw has great service IMO and their internet (I got the 100Mbit) is great, download with 11mb/s most of the time.

Only had an issue once, the modem was screwed up or something. Had a tech guy come out( an hour after i called he arrived)tried a whole bunch of things to see why my speed was so slow (100kbs). In the end he couldn't figure it out, swapped the modem and everything worked great again.

I've been very happy with them, and would definitely always recommend them over telus. Plus their Congierge service you get online let's you talk to techs/customer service instantly. No being on hold etc. Which is awesome if you can tether your 3g or 4g to your PC because you can run all their tests without having to phone them because of resetting your modem constantly.

Anyways, Shaw is awesome.

Got it from Toys 'R Us, I was looking for White Kyurem too but they only had 2 Black ones. Going to Worlds the past weekend made me want some more merchandise.

I was so tempted to buy something at the Worlds but all the exclusive stuff was sold out by the time I went. Thought about a plushie but the cheaper ones looked, well, cheap and the bigger ones were too expensive.

Socreges

Banned
I've been with Shaw for about 1.5 years now after switching from Telus. Shaw has great service IMO and their internet (I got the 100Mbit) is great, download with 11mb/s most of the time.

Only had an issue once, the modem was screwed up or something. Had a tech guy come out( an hour after i called he arrived)tried a whole bunch of things to see why my speed was so slow (100kbs). In the end he couldn't figure it out, swapped the modem and everything worked great again.

I've been very happy with them, and would definitely always recommend them over telus. Plus their Congierge service you get online let's you talk to techs/customer service instantly. No being on hold etc. Which is awesome if you can tether your 3g or 4g to your PC because you can run all their tests without having to phone them because of resetting your modem constantly.

Anyways, Shaw is awesome.
To each their own. In my experience, Shaw has been fucking terrible. Telus, conversely, gave me zero problems in the several months that I was with them.

TRUTH: Both Shaw and Telus are a crapshoot. They cover a vast range of services and this means that a lot can potentially go wrong and their customer service is often not properly equipped to handle it effectively. But some people, such as the above, get lucky.

Sora_N

I was so tempted to buy something at the Worlds but all the exclusive stuff was sold out by the time I went. Thought about a plushie but the cheaper ones looked, well, cheap and the bigger ones were too expensive.

Yeah the event stuff sold super fast, I had to line up for almost 2 hours on Saturday. I wish I just bought more.

iLLmAtlc

Man Fuck Shaw. They cancelled my student promotion early and charged me like a month of $100+ for internet/basic cable. I told them I was out after that and they called me back a few days later offering me a promotional package (same as student plan pretty much) that would get me till September so I could sign up for their new student promotion. I agreed to go back and then later found out they were charging me "cancellation fees" to move me from my old package to the new promotional one, in effect having me pay for my own savings. First of all, I didn't think they had cancellation fees and secondly, I never stopped receiving service from them so I'm not sure why cancellation fees were called for. Seriously, fuck 'em.

Firestorm

Yeah the event stuff sold super fast, I had to line up for almost 2 hours on Saturday. I wish I just bought more.
Yeah, really glad one of my friends on staff was able to grab me one of everything on Friday during the Staff hours. I was busy with opening ceremonies and would have missed everything otherwise and I really wanted merchandise from Worlds in Vancouver. Just need to find someone willing to sell their messenger bag and lanyard now...

khaaan

Darn it, checked four stores yesterday (two shoppers, two FS) and they were all sold out of Animal Crossing so I couldn't even try to take advantage of the $15 thing. There's one more store I can check today but I guess I can live without it. I have the $30 from buying SMT and Fire Emblem so if I really want the game I can add $5 to my wallet and get it off the eShop, but I was saving that money for eShop specific games.

Man Fuck Shaw. They cancelled my student promotion early and charged me like a month of $100+ for internet/basic cable. I told them I was out after that and they called me back a few days later offering me a promotional package (same as student plan pretty much) that would get me till September so I could sign up for their new student promotion. I agreed to go back and then later found out they were charging me "cancellation fees" to move me from my old package to the new promotional one, in effect having me pay for my own savings. First of all, I didn't think they had cancellation fees and secondly, I never stopped receiving service from them so I'm not sure why cancellation fees were called for. Seriously, fuck 'em.
Same here, that company pulled my student promotion and billed me $200 for their shit channels and piss slow Internet. Go fight it man, screw em.

DJ_Lae

To each their own. In my experience, Shaw has been fucking terrible. Telus, conversely, gave me zero problems in the several months that I was with them.

I've switched back and forth between them in the last decade and have had much better experiences with Telus too.

Shaw's PVR was particularly awful, requiring near daily reboots (which of course completely screwed up a lot of recordings as it was frozen half the time) even on my replacement models. Eventually they just stopped fixing/replacing it saying that it had been too long since I purchased it in the first place and was no longer under warranty.

Their phone service was awful for me too, dropouts every other day and that phone modem had to be reset a few times too.

I mean, I have complaints currently with Telus (their combo router/modem has awful range but I'm too cheap to buy a nice dual band one of my own) but their service has been more reliable to me in my past couple of houses and their customer service less abrasive.

BadWolf

Been getting internet from Primus for don't know how many years now and don't have any complaints. Moved houses about 3 times.

About $50 for a dry loop with unlimited downloads (with a max download speed of about 300kb per sec) is good enough for me.

Palehorse

So this Animal Crossing PM thing...does it only work if SDM shows the $15 price for AC:NL for your postal code?

Has anyone had success using a TO postal code to get the price match in a different city?

My local FS has copies of AC:NL in stock so I would love to run down and grab it for cheap, but my postal code at SDM shows normal price. (Victoria)

Edit: I've had great experiences with Telus, with a couple hiccups along the way. The good thing was that with every little hiccup I just had to place one call and the issue was resolved. Maybe 3 small issues in 2 years.

lupin23rd

I'll keep this in mind, thanks.
Now to decide which one to go to..

I'm trying to figure out how to get rid of a bunch of games (and Blu rays) as well, glad someone asked first. :)

I remember there used to be a ton of stores downtown Vancouver that would buy movies and games but I don't think any of them are still around save one new(?) place.

Sora_N

So this Animal Crossing PM thing...does it only work if SDM shows the $15 price for AC:NL for your postal code?

Has anyone had success using a TO postal code to get the price match in a different city?

My local FS has copies of AC:NL in stock so I would love to run down and grab it for cheap, but my postal code at SDM shows normal price. (Victoria)

Edit: I've had great experiences with Telus, with a couple hiccups along the way. The good thing was that with every little hiccup I just had to place one call and the issue was resolved. Maybe 3 small issues in 2 years.

Honestly I don't think it would be successful outside of that area because the csr would probably enter the store's postal code to check. I thought about trying it but success rate seems low. You could try to enter the TO postal code and print out the page, but the csr may try to verify it and the price wouldn't show.

Firestorm

I've switched back and forth between them in the last decade and have had much better experiences with Telus too.

Shaw's PVR was particularly awful, requiring near daily reboots (which of course completely screwed up a lot of recordings as it was frozen half the time) even on my replacement models. Eventually they just stopped fixing/replacing it saying that it had been too long since I purchased it in the first place and was no longer under warranty.

Their phone service was awful for me too, dropouts every other day and that phone modem had to be reset a few times too.

I mean, I have complaints currently with Telus (their combo router/modem has awful range but I'm too cheap to buy a nice dual band one of my own) but their service has been more reliable to me in my past couple of houses and their customer service less abrasive.
Do you have the new black Actiontec one or is it the old silver one? If it's the older one, call and tell them you're on the old router and need the new one. They should replace it for free.

Palehorse

Honestly I don't think it would be successful outside of that area because the csr would probably enter the store's postal code to check. I thought about trying it but success rate seems low. You could try to enter the TO postal code and print out the page, but the csr may try to verify it and the price wouldn't show.

Yeah that's what I figured, just hopeful I guess. I'm not a huge fan of the series, but I am curious...enough to pay $15.

I live in central Ontario and got the price match deal. When the customer service person was navigating to the site I just told them which postal code to use (which was a Toronto one). I may have been lucky though.

Sora_N

Yeah that's what I figured, just hopeful I guess. I'm not a huge fan of the series, but I am curious...enough to pay $15.

It was worth 40 bucks after tax to me, I didn't like any of the previous games. I tried them all.

I clocked over 70 hours already, my gf played 60 hours on my game. She liked the game so much we bought her an XL with her own game and she has over 100 hours in it already lol.

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
Now's really the time to pick up overlooked Wii and DS games at EBgames; you can find hidden gems for $1-5 now that they're trying to clear these consoles. From memory, I got:

-Pokemon Trozei: $1
-Chibi Robo Park Patrol: $1
-Ontamarama: $1
-Ninja Gaiden DS: $2
-Let's Tap: $2
-Opoona: $5
-Space Invaders Extreme 2: 8$
-Metal Slug Anthology: $18 (more expensive, but I wanted it before it became hard to find)
-Resident Evil Remake: $18 (same thing)

Sora_N

Now's really the time to pick up overlooked Wii and DS games at EBgames; you can find hidden gems for $1-5 now that they're trying to clear these consoles. From memory, I got:

-Metal Slug Anthology: $18 (more expensive, but I wanted it before it became hard to find)

Dammit I want Trozei, Chibi Robo and Ninja Gaiden. Too bad I got a final tomorrow, can't check.

Hmm is Mugen Souls worth playing? It's $29.99 at EB. Bomba?

http://www.ebgames.ca/ps3/games/mugen-souls/313601

i-Jest

Maybe someone here can help with my little UPS issue. A few days go I ordered a copy of Xenoblade from Game Stop. This Tuesday the UPS delivery guy showed up and I missed him. Same thing happened on Wednesday. That;s what the Info Notice says. So supposedly a final attempt was made on Thursday. I stayed home the entire morning to ensure I wouldn't miss my delivery this time. End result, I still missed my delivery anyway. I don't get it. I kept an open eye for the truck. I heard no knock on my door. No indicator that my package arrived. Still, the status shows that the delivery attempt was made around 11:02 AM. I didn't see or hear anyone around that time. So do I call Game Stop to resend the game? Do I call UPS to tell them their service is shit?

I ask here hoping my fellow Canadians have had similar experiences when ordering from the States.

Eleuin

I'm trying to figure out how to get rid of a bunch of games (and Blu rays) as well, glad someone asked first. :)

I remember there used to be a ton of stores downtown Vancouver that would buy movies and games but I don't think any of them are still around save one new(?) place.
I'm in Toronto, going to try a pawn shop tomorrow.

Ondore

I got Chibi Robo DS for $.50 (cart only) at EB. There's an entire page of my DS cases which is $30 of games, $28 of which is a copy of 999 I picked up to replace a trade-in. :)

Also, since it wasn't posted, Best Buy stuff:

- They're doing Trade 2 for $70 off the 360, instead of the 3DS or a $60 GC
- Bioshock Infinite, Deadpool, Resident Evil Revelaitons and Remember Me are $39.99
- $20 off Skylanders Giants starter packs

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Maybe someone here can help with my little UPS issue. A few days go I ordered a copy of Xenoblade from Game Stop. This Tuesday the UPS delivery guy showed up and I missed him. Same thing happened on Wednesday. That;s what the Info Notice says. So supposedly a final attempt was made on Thursday. I stayed home the entire morning to ensure I wouldn't miss my delivery this time. End result, I still missed my delivery anyway. I don't get it. I kept an open eye for the truck. I heard no knock on my door. No indicator that my package arrived. Still, the status shows that the delivery attempt was made around 11:02 AM. I didn't see or hear anyone around that time. So do I call Game Stop to resend the game? Do I call UPS to tell them their service is shit?

I ask here hoping my fellow Canadians have had similar experiences when ordering from the States.
If UPS fails 3 times to deliver a package they hold it for either 5 or 7 days at their depot before sending it back to the shipper. Call UPS and you can go pick it up from them.

khaaan

I had no idea Opoona even came out in the west. It's not listed on their website anymore though so I'm guessing you just have to try your luck at whatever store you go to. Same with Pokemon Trozei and probably a few others.
You made it sound like those were prices for the games new =P...then again at this point the new copies are probably opened with a little circular sticker over the opening.

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
I had no idea Opoona even came out in the west. It's not listed on their website anymore though so I'm guessing you just have to try your luck at whatever store you go to. Same with Pokemon Trozei and probably a few others.
You made it sound like those were prices for the games new =P...then again at this point the new copies are probably opened with a little circular sticker over the opening.

Some of these were "new" (filled with stickers and sometimes in beaten up cases) and others were used. Don't really remember which is which. Surprisingly, the "used" games were often in better condition than the "new" ones.

And yeah, these are really based on luck, often I picked the last copy of these games. I just wanted to post in a more general sense that you might be lucky and find hiddden gems for cheap there!

I got these in 3-4 visits at the same EBgames, and every time I found something new.

I'm still trying to get my hands on Advance Wars: Days of Ruins for cheap; according to their website, my local store should have it, but when I asked they didn't have any copy. Oh well.

Cactus

Banned
I have a couple of spare Cineplex "Buy 1 General Admission Ticket, Get 1 Free" promo codes that I got from Nestea boxes. If anyone wants to buy one for $3 (you'd still be saving ~$9 on the second ticket), shoot me a PM. They expire at the end of October. I think they're valid in every province except Quebec.

PSA: Best Buy and Future Shop both accept PayPal now.

OMFG YES

Top Bottom