• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 3: Pining for the Good Old Days Edition

Cactus

Banned
Have not been able to do that on my past 3 gift cards... Had to e-mail them everytime! I hate them...

It's been particularly bad lately and it usually isn't that good.

I still need to contact them about the billing address not working for my credit card.

I just phoned the customer service hotline and the rep told me that it's impossible for her to add a gift card to a pre-existing order. When I told her I've done it myself multiple times in the past, she stated that "at this time" she is unable to do so.

I guess I'll call again and hope someone who isn't incompetent answers the phone.

espher

Thanks for the heads-up on that BB deal. There were a few things I wished I'd picked up during the E3 FS promo that I missed out on so I'll get those here (they were cheap so it's about the same savings) as well as some of the other stuff that catches my eye.

The backlog grows larger...

I just phoned the customer service hotline and the rep told me that it's impossible for her to add a gift card to a pre-existing order. When I told her I've done it myself multiple times in the past, she stated that "at this time" she is unable to do so.

I guess I'll call again and hope someone who isn't incompetent answers the phone.

Try the e-mail form from their website, worked as recently as a week ago for me.

I have had so much trouble with gift cards on Future Shop's website.

If you're adding multiple cards to a single order I would suggest adding them one at a time. Same for removing. If you try to do two or more the whole system goes crazy.

Such a clusterfuck.

Try the e-mail form from their website, worked as recently as a week ago for me.

How is their Twitter support?

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I didn't see this mentioned before, but the 800 point pre-order for BB has been permanently discontinued and not just for the Gamescom deal.
My guess is one of the following two reasons:

1. Too many problems where their system wasn't awarding the points as witnessed in this thread.

2. System was awarding points on preorders when they shipped (also witnessed in this thread) instead of 35 days after shipment and people were abusing this by redeeming the certificates then returning the games.

khaaan

OK. Vita get!

So, cases, accessories, games? Best options?

I know this is like a "Vita recommend", but I'm crossing over for deals.

Check Shoppers Drug Mart, they may have 8GB memory cards for $15 which is how much 4GB is going for right now. You mileage may vary though.

They also have this Vita case for $10 but I'm not really digging it. The case has an opening all along the sides and is sealed at the top with a velcro flap, to prevent the Vita from sliding out of the case they have little hooks that snap onto the bottom where you would tie something like a wrist strap. It is a hard leather case that also functions as a stand, it'll keep both your screen and analog sticks protected but the sides are open and will be vulnerable to scratching if you throw it in a cluttered backpack.

For screen protectors I bought the official pack and for the most part they work well. I am horrible when it comes to applying screen protectors and they use the weird Hori thing where you have to pull all sorts of tabs to get the adhesive to expose. It comes with two which is good because the first one did not work even though I followed the instructions. The second one worked but I didn't apply it perfectly. The protectors themselves haven't dampened the image quality as far as I could tell but I do feel like I lost a slight amount of responsiveness of the screen. It still works great though, after the initial moments I haven't felt like the screen isn't responding. I should note that I was able to scratch the first protector I tried to apply when trying to push out bubbles, I used my fingernail and wasn't applying a significant amount of pressure.

RS4-

For Vita, I only used the Hori screen protector, friend sent 'em over from Japan since Pacific Mall, at the time was charging something ridiculous for them.

Been using them for what, maybe a year now. Still look brand new.

Hey guys! I often see questions about mobile phone on here and it is my turn to have one.

My wife and me are looking for the cheapest possible way to be able to talk to each other during her breaks or in case of emergency. I also want to be able to be reached for things like people canceling team works on the university campus and all that so I stop waiting like a dumb ass because I am the only one who did not receive the text message since I have no mobile.

We do not own any mobile phone at the moment. I guess a cheap shared family plan could work. I am also ok to consider pre-paid. I already own 3 services with Bell but I am only saving 4$ because of that, which is not such a big incentive to me. I am baffled by how expensive it all seems to be. In any case, I guess cancelling the home line could cut the cost.

Thanks for the help!

Mikey Jr.

Jesus, I am never ordering from Monoprice ever again.

I asked here which site was the best to get cables, and someone said Monoprice even though its American. I know it takes a while, so I was ok with that for the savings. But this wait time is fucking terrible. I expected about 7 business days. But I am now going on the 12th.

I ordered an HDMI cable, and 2 other cables. Really small stuff. It was shipped on Aug 7th according to monoprice. It is now the 22nd and I still haven't gotten a damn thing. 11 business days and still no package? No joke, I have honestly gotten stuff faster from Hong Kong.

Is Canada Post really just that fucking terrible? Do you guys think the cables are gone?

RS4-

I asked here which site was the best to get cables, and someone said Monoprice even though its American. I know it takes a while, so I was ok with that for the savings. But this wait time is fucking terrible. I expected about 7 business days. But I am now going on the 12th.

I ordered an HDMI cable, and 2 other cables. Really small stuff. It was shipped on Aug 7th according to monoprice. It is now the 22nd and I still haven't gotten a damn thing. 11 business days and still no package? No joke, I have honestly gotten stuff faster from Hong Kong.

Is Canada Post really just that fucking terrible? Do you guys think the cables are gone?

http://www.infinitecables.com/index.html

If you're in Toronto, just go here. I don't know how good they are with shipping though.

BadWolf

I ordered an HDMI cable from Monoprice after I bought a PS3.

Over a month passed and there was nothing. Then some weeks after that I get an email saying that the address I provided was incorrect and the package came back to them. The address was correct. I told them this and politely asked for a refund, they provided it no problem.

Funny thing was that while I waited for their order to come in I got fed up and ordered it from Amazon.ca for $3, it was also a US seller and the cable came to the same address without issues.

Sora_N

Pricematched Pandora's Tower at Best Buy for 19 bucks. Went to EB first but the same jackass was there, I guess the manager talked to him. He was a total ass as I expected. I just won't bother going there unless they get rid of him.

Eleuin

Has anyone ordered something off indigo? Do they ship day of release?

I have a gift card with 80$ left and want to order GTA V.

Tuck

Bioshock Infinite is $22 on Amazon, for those who haven't bought it. Just ordered it now, along with a book to get the free shipping.

Hope The Last of Us drops in price soon, but I doubt it. Or Tomb Raider - I'd buy that for $20 bucks for sure.

That said, HST makes me sad.

Yawnier

Banned
Bioshock Infinite is $22 on Amazon, for those who haven't bought it. Just ordered it now, along with a book to get the free shipping.

Just finished this game today (I've owned it for several months, I just never got to it) and its probably my second favorite game of the year, its well worth that price IMO.

Diomedes

Ordered from them twice recently to Canada and had wildly different experiences. The first felt like forever, and arrived on the 15th business day. Had contacted them the day before and they were ready to process a refund, which was nice. The second time item arrived within a week.

Where is the best place to pre-order a PS4 now for release day? I ordered a couple from Amazon in June, but even with the fastest shipping option they will arrive on the 20th.

Ok I am a mobile phone super noob! I have a Blackberry Pearl 8130 from a few years ago, contract with Telus has been broken and paid for years ago. The phone has no sim card slot.

Can I use this phone with another company? Can I only use it again if I go back to Telus?

Thanks for the help!

Parch

Is Canada Post really just that fucking terrible?
It's not Canada Post, it's the US Postal Service. I have never ever had a problem shipping or getting packages within Canada but have had a few problems with USPS. They've lost stuff before. They also changed policy after 9/11 so getting packages to and from the US has become a real pain in the ass. Stuff will sit at some custom's office for a week. When sending a package to the States, there is a high probability it'll get ripped open for inspection. 15 business days is not uncommon now.

Ondore

Ok I am a mobile phone super noob! I have a Blackberry Pearl 8130 from a few years ago, contract with Telus has been broken and paid for years ago. The phone has no sim card slot.

Can I use this phone with another company? Can I only use it again if I go back to Telus?

Thanks for the help!

It'd only work on Telus, but I'm not even sure Telus is still activating phones that old. Might want to call them and find out.

dream

Jesus christ. Trying to order from bestbuy.ca with PayPal makes me feel like I'm stupid.

edit: I give up. I just give up.

I thought it was common knowledge that Monoprice is generally really slow when it comes to shipping to Canada. To me that was always the trade-off for getting everything cheap, which is why I usually order a bunch of cables at once under the assumption that even if I don't need them now, I might need them in the future. Which probably explains why I have a few HDMI and SATA cables lying around at all times.

I hade the same issue. I ordered an extension cable and after 3 weeks it still didn't arrive. I emailed them asking them what's up. They told me it hasn't arrived the next day they'll send an replacement but luckily it did.

Yeah it takes while with Monoprice for some reason, just have to be patient.

Top Bottom