• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 5: Much Ado Aboot Shipping

Firestorm

What is the best video on demand service for Canadians? Netflix? Shomi?

I'm looking for something because I'd love to catch up on a lot of recent movies that I had a passing interest in but missed for some reason.
Almost definitely Netflix though I haven't looked into Shomi. To watch US and UK Netflix on your computer with little to no effort download Hola (Firefox and Chrome plugin).

kennah

Shomi is shitty. Poor quality (mpeg artifacts everywhere), can't chrome cast on the app. Won't save your password or username so you need to completely relog in everytime.

Ryne

Almost definitely Netflix though I haven't looked into Shomi. To watch US and UK Netflix on your computer with little to no effort download Hola (Firefox and Chrome plugin).

Yeah, I'm looking at getting Netflix. I also want to stream shows to my computer, so I'm looking into getting US access onto my PS3. It does seem simple enough and won't break the bank to do so.

Only if I didn't have sports to watch, I would just cut the cable cord.

Shomi is shitty. Poor quality (mpeg artifacts everywhere), can't chrome cast on the app. Won't save your password or username so you need to completely relog in everytime.
I'm signed with Rogers and they were offering me a free preview of Shomi, that's why I asked. I won't use it though, I've asked around and lots of people have told me it isn't worth it. No point in using a trail of something I would not use.

kennah

I'm signed with Rogers and they were offering me a free preview of Shomi, that's why I asked. I won't use it though, I've asked around and lots of people have told me it isn't worth it. No point in using a trail of something I would not use.

It's too bad. There is lots of great movies on there that you can't get anywhere else, But the way to access it on computer or app is just so terrible that it's not worth it at all.

mdubs

Banned
My copy of Type-0 shipped today and has already been processed by Canada Post

MkPAH.gif

Reveirg

9narhft.jpg

Damn I hate Amazon. I should have kept my Square store pre-order.

Same boat here.

They better hurry up. BB Canada already shipped theirs? Kinda makes me hopeful, at least we know S-E shipped it on time to canadian retailers.

mdubs: who did you order from?

Reveirg

Amazon always gives dates like then but then ships things the day before release anyway. Don't worry about it.

For Tuesday releases, from my past experiences, they've shipped on Wednesdays about 75% of the time. The other 25% have shipped on Mondays and arrives on time.

I've always used Free shipping though, the warehouse is so close that it always arrives the next day once it ships. Maybe they stall before shipping it when you choose free shipping though.

This time I chose the fastest shipping, hopefully it'll ship tomorrow and I'll get it Tuesday.

(I've never had to rely on online deliveries for a new FF game, I've always pre-ordered in stores at EB before. This is driving me crazy lol.)

Ryne

Amazon always gives dates like then but then ships things the day before release anyway. Don't worry about it.

Unfortunately that hasn't been my experience with Amazon. I have made 4 pre-orders with them recently; two have been shipped on the release date, 1 three days after release, and the last a week and a bit after the release date (the MM3DS game LE).

That's why I generally pre-order with BestBuy/FutureShop as they do wait to near release to ship, however it arrives on the release date or before 99% of the time (and the E3 deals don't hurt at all).

I hope this is shipped tomorrow, that would usually mean that I will get it on Wednesday as I actually paid for shipping this time. I promised my brother the demo code so that he can play FF15.

9narhft.jpg

Damn I hate Amazon. I should have kept my Square store pre-order.

Limme chime in on this.

So I talked to Amazon CS literally 10 minutes ago to upgrade the shipping on the Type 0 CE to the free shipping option offered by Amazon Prime, (I got Prime after I pre-ordered the game) and the CS rep told me that even with my previous shipping option (the bad free 4-9 days option) the game is set to come in on release day. But he upgraded me to the one day shipping, just to be safe.

So yeah, hopefully they won't drop the ball on Type 0. But if that CS duder in the text chat is to be believed, the CE's are gonna ship out either Monday or Tuesday so they can get to people on release day.

Ryne

Limme chime in on this.

So I talked to Amazon CS literally 10 minutes ago to upgrade the shipping on the Type 0 CE to the free shipping option offered by Amazon Prime, (I got Prime after I pre-ordered the game) and the CS rep told me that even with my previous shipping option (the bad free 4-9 days option) the game is set to come in on release day. But he upgraded me to the one day shipping, just to be safe.

So yeah, hopefully they won't drop the ball on Type 0. But if that CS duder in the text chat is to be believed, the CE's are gonna ship out either Monday or Tuesday so they can get to people on release day.

Very cool, thank you for the information. I hope that Amazon rep is correct.

I bought the LE on a whim, I really didn't think I would want it, but that manga is something that I definitely want now.

Very cool, thank you for the information. I hope that Amazon rep is correct.

I bought the LE on a whim, I really didn't think I would want it, but that manga is something that I definitely want now.

yeah I pre-ordered the LE pretty much because it... Well it's actually limited. After sitting on it for a few weeks I'm glad I got it.

Amazon shipping woes are one of the many pillars of this thread. It's especially weird if things come in REALLY late and you live in one of the 3 major Canadian cities (Toronto, Vancouver, Montreal). I know Amazon have warehouses in Richmond, Mississauga, and I don't remember the Quebec one. I live in Midtown Toronto, I could actually just DRIVE to their warehouse to get my package and it'd probably take 1 to 1 and a half hours. The Amazon drone future needs to get here faster

Reveirg

Limme chime in on this.

That's good news. I asked their CS yesterday and he didn't sound as hopeful.

Cheap game findings

Mystery Case Files: The Malgrave Incident on Wii is $10 at Walmart. :)

It's a Nintendo-published Big Fish game developed by Sanzaru. Odd pairing, but I think it got good reception. :)

Also at Superstore, I found:

ATV Wild Ride DS $15 (It's the final game by Renegade Kid on DS, it's in 60fps where as the 3DS version is 30fps only... for some reason)
Rhythm Heaven DS $10
Spectral Force: Genesis DS $10 (Idea Factory JRPG, warning it's published by Ignition, so localization may likely be junk)

All new also of course. :)

Luigi87

I didn't talk to Amazon, and while my FF Type-0 CE still says March 26 delivery, it has already gone into processing for shipping, much like the CSR told KnightHart they would.

TimeKillr

Yeaaah, no.

Seriously, people should really stop using Hola. It's been proven that it essentially creates an exit node for their network through all their connected computers, using your connection to pipe other users to access content. It's *REALLY* bad.

For the unfamiliar, Hola Unblocker is a popular Chrome extension and Windows application that allows you to easily proxy to foreign connections. This is especially useful for people who want to access content on Netflix that is available in the UK but not in the US, and vice-versa. It's advertised as a one-click solution that you don't have to think about, and you'll often hear users say things like, "just install this, click this button, and you'll be able to access more Netflix shows!"

On their site they say that by using Hola you can:
Bypass Internet censorship
Speed up your web browsing
Save on bandwidth costs
Improve your privacy online

The application is closed-source and they're very vague on their site, but what I've surmised is that when you install the Windows or Android application you add your connection as a node in the network, and there's a matchmaking service where you broadcast your availability both as a client and as an endpoint. This means you can proxy your connection to other users on the Hola Unblocker network, and they can proxy through you. There's also some kind of P2P CDN layer that caches content, which they claim speeds up your connection. Although the users operate the endpoints, the makers of Hola Unblocker occasionally serve you ads over the connection, collecting the revenue.

The core issue I want to bring up is that the full application (and maybe the extension) operates as an exit node on the public Internet: something most people are very reluctant to do when it comes to other proxy services, such as Tor. By making your connection available to anyone online you're incurring risk, and Hola Unblocker doesn't tell you about this. It's entirely feasible that someone will use your connection not for Netflix, but for content that's illegal in your country.

http://hola.org/faq.html

Hola Unblocker doesn't make any distinction between acting as a client and a server...Like I said, they're extremely vague on their site. Their download page also preferentially serves you the full application and makes absolutely no mention of the implications of what you're running (nor does their FAQ): https://hola.org/download.html

TL;DR: Running the Hola Unblocker application turns your connection into a public exit node on a P2P network. It allows people can to use your Internet connection and potentially access illegal material.

Source: http://www.reddit.com/r/privacy/comments/1qnphj/psa_if_youre_uncomfortable_running_a_tor_exit/

Seriously, don't use Hola if you value your privacy or your connection at all. It's fucking garbage. You're better off using something like Unblock-US and paying 40$/year or something and making sure you're just accessing everything through DNS tricks than doing Hola.

Netflix + unblock-us or something similar is definitely the way to go. Pretty much every movie is available somewhere in the world, so you just switch your region and bam, you can watch whatever you want anywhere in the world. Works wonders.

farisr

Aww man, what the hell happened, that was just not cool getting my hopes up like that

I get a shipment notification last night for Type 0 HD. I check this morning and it's arrived at my local delivery facility (meaning it would be out for delivery today).

I check again, and now it's back at the originating postal facility and estimate delivery time is tomorrow again. I know that's still day 1, but that just seems silly shipping it back to the original postal facility.

mdubs

Banned
Aww man, what the hell happened, that was just not cool getting my hopes up like that

I get a shipment notification last night for Type 0 HD. I check this morning and it's arrived at my local delivery facility (meaning it would be out for delivery today).

I check again, and now it's back at the originating postal facility and estimate delivery time is tomorrow again. I know that's still day 1, but that just seems silly shipping it back to the original postal facility.

Same thing here

What do you guys do to save money on new games on release? Trying to find a cheap place for BF: Hardline.

Wait for E3 preorder deals and then order everything otherwise you're probably going to have to pay full price if you want it at launch.

You can try trade in offers or just wait until there is a sale.

Stat!

Wait for E3 preorder deals and then order everything otherwise you're probably going to have to pay full price if you want it at launch.

You can try trade in offers or just wait until there is a sale.

Yeah I plan to wait for the e3 deals but even then, how many games do you pre-order? How do you know which games you plan to pick up that far in advance? Can you cancel your pre-orders?

Yeah I plan to wait for the e3 deals but even then, how many games do you pre-order? How do you know which games you plan to pick up that far in advance? Can you cancel your pre-orders?

Yes you can cancel your pre-orders. I typically pre-order everything I think I may want to buy. Worst case scenario you cancel it or maybe a friend would want it.

farisr

Yeah, preorder everything that you may have the slightest interest in. There's no money down, and you can always call in and cancel, or return for a full refund at a store if it gets shipped out to you.

Preorder everything. Cancel or return the ones you don't want.

You can do returns in store on items preordered online.

Dazzler

The way I see it is, if you sign up for Shomi you're only encouraging Rogers' shitty attitude towards their customers. Best thing that could happen from a consumer standpoint is they fail miserably and Netflix picks up all the rights they hold

Harusame

Incoming Target related news:

For those living in Metro Vancouver, the Target store that I work at (Maple Ridge) has gone down to 40% price decrease. From what I have been told, only 8 other stores around Canada have gone down to 40%, but I do not know what others have. All the other stores are still at 30%.

Also, this will be the last week of truck shipments from the distribution center in Calgary, which will more or less be seasonal items.

With that said, it looks my store will be in the second wave of closures, but they have not said when that will be. I will bring more updates if I get more information.

Incoming Target related news:

For those living in Metro Vancouver, the Target store that I work at (Maple Ridge) has gone down to 40% price decrease. From what I have been told, only 8 other stores around Canada have gone down to 40%, but I do not know what others have. All the other stores are still at 30%.

Also, this will be the last of truck shipments from the distribution center in Calgary, which will more or less be seasonal items.

With that said, it looks my store will be in the second wave of closures, but they have not said when tha5 will be. I will bring more updates if I get more information.

I was at Cloverdale Mall in Toronto and I think they were at 40%.

Stat!

Yeah, preorder everything that you may have the slightest interest in. There's no money down, and you can always call in and cancel, or return for a full refund at a store if it gets shipped out to you.

Yes you can cancel your pre-orders. I typically pre-order everything I think I may want to buy. Worst case scenario you cancel it or maybe a friend would want it.

Preorder everything. Cancel or return the ones you don't want.

You can do returns in store on items preordered online.

Do I still get the discount on the items I pre-ordered as part of that deal?

I guess, lets say I preorder

NHL 16, Assassins Creed Victory, and the new Rainbow Six. In like August, I don't want RS anymore. I can cancel it and still get the discount? I won't be charged for RS at all but get NHL/AC:V for 33% off? That sounds like a sweet deal as long as I keep on top of it.

Luigi87

Got my copy of Type-0 from FS, lol... But I have the CE coming from Amazon >_<

Edit: I Requested Cancellation for m CE... Now it's up to fate to decide what I get.
Edit 2: lol, got an email saying they shipped it, then got an email saying they cancelled it (and it is now gone from my account)

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Do I still get the discount on the items I pre-ordered as part of that deal?

I guess, lets say I preorder

NHL 16, Assassins Creed Victory, and the new Rainbow Six. In like August, I don't want RS anymore. I can cancel it and still get the discount? I won't be charged for RS at all but get NHL/AC:V for 33% off? That sounds like a sweet deal as long as I keep on top of it.
Yes.

Doesn't bb/fs eventually ban you from returning products after you've done it so many times?
They haven't banned me yet and I return 4-5 every year.

farisr

Yup, Type 0-HD is here.

Must've been an error in Canadaposts tracking saying it's back at original shipping facility since it went directly to "out for delivery" right after.

Top Bottom