• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 5: Much Ado Aboot Shipping

Currently showing Available Online for Futureshop LE. No associated page yet though.

Looks like it's almost time.

If anything's happening, it'll most likely be launching at the start of the hour, if it doesn't I have no idea when it will.

It's been on Futureshop for the last 30 minutes or so.

Reddaye

Banned
If anything's happening, it'll most likely be launching at the start of the hour, if it doesn't I have no idea when it will.

It's been on Futureshop for the last 30 minutes or so.

It's been listed, but not with the green check mark next to "Available Online." That just showed up a little while ago.

The price point and size is part of it. The Zelda strategy guide treasure chest is limited too but they're big to store and ship.

Also Zelda fans are a pretty crazy bunch. Just look at the Hyrule Warriors LE's that were only available in New York, or the music box you got from pre-ordering A Link Between Worlds. Fans who grew up with the older games (heck, even kids who were around when OoT came out) are old enough now to have disposable income to throw at collectibles.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
I'm going for my lunch break. If its sold out when I get back I'm gonna be pissed.

antibolo

Banned
Wow the Canadian dollar and the (hundred) yen are almost worth exactly the same thing right now.

That makes my Japanese purchases pretty straightforward.

I love the new conspiracy theories that every limited product at EB that sells out is because employees got them. I hope it makes it to the next thread title.

For what it's worth, it probably isn't as prevalent as you think. It's pretty easy for Head Office and District managers to see who has preordered a product, so it would be dumb of employees to just pile on limited stock.

Proto_Man

Neo Member
I love the new conspiracy theories that every limited product at EB that sells out is because employees got them. I hope it makes it to the next thread title.

For what it's worth, it probably isn't as prevalent as you think. It's pretty easy for Head Office and District managers to see who has preordered a product, so it would be dumb of employees to just pile on limited stock.

I can at least confirm with this Amiibo madness that it is in that case. But that's my own personal example and should not be taken as a grand conclusion

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
I can at least confirm with this Amiibo madness that it is in that case. But that's my own personal example and should not be taken as a grand conclusion

Now I'm really afraid I won't see my pre-ordered Shulk... Shouldn't have went with in-store pickup...

Will they at least have the decency of giving me back my $5 if their Shulk shipment "mysteriously disappear"?

Spike

Really? So how come I was lined up, 2nd in line from 9:15 am, and I was turned away because they only had 2 available for preorder and they were 'reserved' by other customers who came in after me? Mind you, the guy ahead of me only traded in 2 games and picked up a PS4 controller.

Now I'm really afraid I won't see my pre-ordered Shulk... Shouldn't have went with in-store pickup...

Will they at least have the decency of giving me back my $5 if their Shulk shipment "mysteriously disappear"?

Don't let him scare you, haha. Coming from someone who worked there, that's not how preorders work. If you got one, you'll get one. Never once in my time there were we not able to fill preorders that we actually took. Even if the store was undershipped or something, the company is generally good about getting the customer one somehow.

But don't be afraid of an employee literally taking one that you've already claimed. Not only is that obvious grounds for firing, it's also laughably easy for management to track happen, from a paper trail standpoint.

Really? So how come I was lined up, 2nd in line, and I was turned away because they only had 2 available for preorder and they were 'reserved' by other customers who came in after me?

Other customers, or employees? If they did some bullshit "reserving" for other customers, I can't speak to that, because that's just idiocy. I mean the specific act of the majority of limited preorders being taken by employees Even if it did happen, management would probably just cancel them or something.

I mean, it happens, I'm sure. I just thin it would be a bit silly if this suddenly becomes the go-to reasoning for every time someone can't get what they want.

Don't let him scare you, haha. Coming from someone who worked there, that's not how preorders work. If you got one, you'll get one. Never once in my time there were we not able to fill preorders that we actually took. Even if the store was undershipped or something, the company is generally good about getting the customer one somehow.

But don't be afraid of an employee literally taking one that you've already claimed. Not only is that obvious grounds for firing, it's also laughably easy for management to track happen, from a paper trail standpoint.

I'm still nervous about the preordering online for in store pickup service with EB. It's rather untested here.

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
Nintendo just shipped the Gamecube controller adapter I ordered yesterday despite the fact it said Out of Stock.

Same here! I was pretty sure it would get cancelled, so it's a pretty good consolation for missing the MM preorder because I wake up too late...!

Spike

Other customers, or employees? If they did some bullshit "reserving" for other customers, I can't speak to that, because that's just idiocy. I mean the specific act of the majority of limited preorders being taken by employees Even if it did happen, management would probably just cancel them or something.

I mean, it happens, I'm sure. I just thin it would be a bit silly if this suddenly becomes the go-to reasoning for every time someone can't get what they want.

The rep told me that they had gotten "a few" and that "after the staff who wanted one, got theirs in" they only had "2 left" and they were "already reserved for customers." At that point, a guy in the line shouted out "Yeah, and I'm one of those customers. I talked to Liam yesterday."

I talked to Liam yesterday too, and was told to get there early. So what happened?

The rep told me that they had gotten "a few" and that "after the staff who wanted one, got theirs in" they only had "2 left" and they were "already reserved for customers." At that point, a guy in the line shouted out "Yeah, and I'm one of those customers. I talked to Liam yesterday."

I talked to Liam yesterday too, and was told to get there early. So what happened?

all I can suggest is contacting corporate.

The rep told me that they had gotten "a few" and that "after the staff who wanted one, got theirs in" they only had "2 left" and they were "already reserved for customers." At that point, a guy in the line shouted out "Yeah, and I'm one of those customers. I talked to [manager's name] yesterday."

I talked to the manager yesterday too, and was told to get there early. So what happened?

Well evidently you were fucked :p

Like I said, it happens, but I still don't think it's as prevalent as people might believe. The random reserving for customers is the only flaw I see there, that's purely a manager doing a favor thing. You could try calling head office and complaining, it seems as though people have good luck doing that.

I guess I don't see a problem with the employees getting first dibs (as long as they aren't dogpiling on 100% of the product) because the flip side would be that they do what, wait until the end of the day when inventory is long gone and they never even have a chance to get it? That doesn't seem fair to me either. Me as a customer, I've had a chance to go online on Amazon, EB, and apparently Best Buy and Future Shop at some point, to get this thing. It's not like the only possible avenue was in store at EB Games.

It's their job, so the job has perks. Every job has perks. People working at Telus get a better cellular contract than I could ever hope to get, and I don't lose my mind over it. When I worked at EB, knowing what I got paid and what benefits the job had, and something like this happened, something really limited or really cool that I wanted, that was clearly going to sell out quick, and my manager said "employees can't put in orders until the end of the day if there's any stock left" I would have said fuck right off.

I understand the frustration from a consumer standpoint, because you're powerless, but you also need to weigh your options. The thing went online right at 12 EST, as they said it would, and was there for a solid 10 minutes before selling out. Site ran well and everything, tons of Gaffers here got an order in. Going to a physical location was bigger gamble, any way you look at it.

Spike

I understand the frustration from a consumer standpoint, because you're powerless, but you also need to weigh your options. The thing went online right at 12 EST, as they said it would, and was there for a solid 10 minutes before selling out. Site ran well and everything, tons of Gaffers here got an order in. Going to a physical location was bigger gamble, any way you look at it.

Wrong. It went online at 11:53 am, and the only way you could find out was if you were refreshing their twitter page, not refreshing their search engine. It didn't even show up on the search page.

Still, I got the item added into my cart, and I was already signed in, but when I kept clicking of the submit order button, it just kept staying on the same order details page. So I missed out.

Got to the EB games 2 minutes before it opened, there was already a line of ~ 10 people...I thought I was fucked but I waited for the hell of it. When we got inside and lined up for the register apparently this store (Metrotown) got 15, so everyone who waited in line was able to get one, and there were no employee shenanigans either. Pretty happy. Now I don't have to stay glued to Futureshop/Best Buy's website for whenever the hell they decide to throw it up.

Also, while we were lining up an older gentleman approached one of the people in front of me and asked what we were all lining up for. When he got "limited edition Majora's Mask, a video game" he just looked confused and walked away. I found it pretty amusing.

Wrong. It went online at 11:53 am, and the only way you could find out was if you were refreshing their twitter page, not refreshing their search engine. It didn't even show up on the search page.

Still, I got the item added into my cart, and I was already signed in, but when I kept clicking of the submit order button, it just kept staying on the same order details page. So I missed out.

Okay, right "around" 12 EST, as they said it would :p

Sajjaja

Glad I got a preorder in on Amazon :3 I don't even have a 3DS yet, but I'm going to get the n3DS which hopefully comes out before then.

jholmes

This statue thing is such a pain in the ass. I'm not sure I even want one anyway, I think I just feel like my Wind Waker Ganondorf is lonely.

This statue thing is such a pain in the ass. I'm not sure I even want one anyway, I think I just feel like my Wind Waker Ganondorf is lonely.

I just like rare Nintendo stuff. I'll put Skull Kid on a shelf next to my Virtual Boy and Twilight Princess trailer DS card from E3 2005 if I can get my hands on one.

Sapiens

I know the feeling. I know I want a copy of Majora, as I never got to play the original, but I have no idea why I'm telling myself I need the LE - maybe because it's only an extra dime?

Any way, the evil part of me wants to barter my confirmed LE preorder into a free new copy of the standalone game. The more I look at the statue, the more silly it looks.

I know the feeling. I know I want a copy of Majora, as I never got to play the original, but I have no idea why I'm telling myself I need the LE - maybe because it's only an extra dime?

Any way, the evil part of me wants to barter my confirmed LE preorder into a free new copy of the standalone game. The more I look at the statue, the more silly it looks.

I'm willing to bet it's solely because it's been framed as a super limited item. Nintendo has somehow gotten savvy. I'm sure amiibos are more popular than they would have been if there was ample supply of every single one.

jholmes

I'm willing to bet it's solely because it's been framed as a super limited item. Nintendo has somehow gotten savvy. I'm sure amiibos are more popular than they would have been if there was ample supply of every single one.

That's true but the price is a definite justification as I could never get something like the Wind Waker figure for $10 otherwise.

terrible

Banned
I missed out on the in-store pre-order and I made it in not long after it opened. Apparently people were reserving them over the phone, I wish I thought of that.

Time to F5 BB/FS like everyone else lol.

Megasoum

Banned
So I bought the Wii U Deluxe set with Mario 3D World earlier this week and I was thinking... Is the deluxe set still supposed to come with an EShop credit like it did at launch?

Top Bottom