• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 7: More Shipping Talk than Anime & TV GAF

Status
Not open for further replies.

DayEnder

Guys,

Just bought a new house in White Rock/South Surrey area (Morgan Creek) and need to get internet set up.

I've had telus for the last few years and been relatively happy with it but it's incredibly expensive for a fairly moderate speed (15MB down) with a fairly average TV lineup (no movies or special subscription channels) and costs around $140 a month...

What are my options in this new place? Should I be calling Telus/Shaw/whoever are bargaining with them?

Definitely call and bargain regardless. Lots of the big companies have promotional rates and if you mention that you've spoken with competitors they will be more inclined to cut a deal.

Do some quick research on the Telus/Shaw/Teksavvy websites so you know what a typical cost will be in your area and then get them to undercut each other for the business.

Edit: You can also call Telus and tell them you are considering cancelling your service and going to a competitor because the cost is too high. Many, if not all, of these companies will then transfer you to a "customer/client retention department" who will try and convince you to stay and usually offer incentives/price cuts too.

Got Ori thru gamestop since amazon.com won't ship to canada. Shipping was $15 so it was $35 US, $45 Cad. Anyone know any cheaper options that doesn't involve any third party shipping companies.

DayEnder

He bought a house. What's a hundred bucks a month for Internet?

Buying a house in itself doesn't make you rich, it usually comes with a significant amount of debt and high monthly payments (unless you have a massive down payment).

Even if you make good money and own a house...why wouldn't you try and save some extra money each month and put that towards family/entertainment/vacations/etc.

Edit: God I'm getting old, start saving for retirement too GAF. Don't forget about that one.

Lots of TVs have 3-5 year manufacturer warranty and if you pay for it with a credit card (double check yours has this feature) it will double the warranty, up to a maximum of 1 year. I always use that rather than paying for the expensive store warranty.

I think what he was trying to sell me on was a one year warranty, which just feels pointless. It's a waste of money. Each TV has at least a one year manufacturer's warranty, so why the fuck would I pay Best Buy? Outside of convenience?

Even then, companies' depot men will sometimes pick the TV up.

Ryne

Is it easy to return an online order to EB? I bought an extra copy of VC remastered and want to return it.

The steel book is nice though

Sealtest

anyone that bought overwatch from cdkeys check your emails. they sent both my game and dlc code earlier today.

Was quite happy to know they sent actual pics/links of the codes and that I wasn't required to go on the website to get them since they were going through maintenance this morning. Will buy from them again.

Google

He bought a house. What's a hundred bucks a month for Internet?

I'm not sure if you're serious or not?

I have two kids, a full-time job and a wife on maternity leave. A home to live in is a necessity and fast internet is a luxury.

Saving $50 a month on internet over the course of a 2 year term would allow for some fun activities with the family.

Google

Edit: You can also call Telus and tell them you are considering cancelling your service and going to a competitor because the cost is too high. Many, if not all, of these companies will then transfer you to a "customer/client retention department" who will try and convince you to stay and usually offer incentives/price cuts too.

Thanks man.

Yeah, my telus contract ended about 8 months ago and I've not renewed (because we moved in with family while we sold our current place) so that's not a concern.

I've seen the telus deals with the free TV, VISA gc, etc. which intrigue me only because the pricing between TELUS and Shaw seems to be negligible for the same service.

I'm not sure Tekksavvy or any other company like that services south surrey/white rock? It seems to only be the major players.

Leeness

Guys,

Just bought a new house in White Rock/South Surrey area (Morgan Creek) and need to get internet set up.

I've had telus for the last few years and been relatively happy with it but it's incredibly expensive for a fairly moderate speed (15MB down) with a fairly average TV lineup (no movies or special subscription channels) and costs around $140 a month...

What are my options in this new place? Should I be calling Telus/Shaw/whoever are bargaining with them?

Welcome to White Rock/South Surrey! 🤗

I just go with Shaw, have internet and cable and bite the bullet.

FrsDvl

Thanks man.

Yeah, my telus contract ended about 8 months ago and I've not renewed (because we moved in with family while we sold our current place) so that's not a concern.

I've seen the telus deals with the free TV, VISA gc, etc. which intrigue me only because the pricing between TELUS and Shaw seems to be negligible for the same service.

I'm not sure Tekksavvy or any other company like that services south surrey/white rock? It seems to only be the major players.

imho i would pick Telus over Shaw anyday. I was with Shaw for quite a while before switching to Telus, and that was one of the best switches i've made.

As far as getting a good deal goes, tell them you think of switching to a different provider cause it's too expensive. It works 95% of the time.

Google

Welcome to White Rock/South Surrey! 🤗

I just go with Shaw, have internet and cable and bite the bullet.

Thanks man! I've owned an apartment on Blackwood Street in White Rock for 6 years and just sold it. Now moving to a townhouse down the road. Happy to get a bit more space but a shame it's cost half a million dollars...

So you say Shaw (which looks to be about $20-$25 cheaper than Telus) and that comes with Shomi and Crave (which means I could get rid of my Netflix subscription) for around $125 a month (after the intro rate is clear)

Telus looks to be around $128 a month without any of the streaming type stuff and slightly 'slower' (25MB compared to 30MB).

I should call both and haggle.

imho i would pick Telus over Shaw anyday. I was with Shaw for quite a while before switching to Telus, and that was one of the best switches i've made.

What makes you say this?

Leeness

Thanks man! I've owned an apartment on Blackwood Street in White Rock for 6 years and just sold it. Now moving to a townhouse down the road. Happy to get a bit more space but a shame it's cost half a million dollars...

So you say Shaw (which looks to be about $20-$25 cheaper than Telus) and that comes with Shomi and Crave (which means I could get rid of my Netflix subscription) for around $125 a month (after the intro rate is clear)

Telus looks to be around $128 a month without any of the streaming type stuff and slightly 'slower' (25MB compared to 30MB).

I should call both and haggle.

Well you moved to Morgan Creek. Of course it's half a million lol.

I think it would be more expensive. I think you need basic cable as well to have shomi and crave. So internet, basic cable and shomi.

I pay out the butt for mine because I am still a cable/PVR person.

Google

Well you moved to Morgan Creek. Of course it's half a million lol.

I think it would be more expensive. I think you need basic cable as well to have shomi and crave. So internet, basic cable and shomi.

I pay out the butt for mine because I am still a cable/PVR person.

Yeah, that $125 is with cable (sports and stuff).

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
I get basic cable from Rogers which includes TSN and Sportsnet. Why go out of your way to pay so much for special packages?

We pay a shitload for bad Internet, satellite and phone. It's ridiculous.

We have a ton of channels, and do watch a lot of the specialty ones (sports, hunting, movies, specialty stuff like A&E, Discovery, etc.) but the bill is outrageous.

Versifier

do you guys even watch tsn tho? only sportsnet has NHL games and they have all the jays games too.

TSN has the local rights to the SENS, JETS, and LEAFS. In some cases for the next 10 years.... It isn't a small number of games either in 2015 - 2016 they were scheduled to broadcast 54 SENS, 60 JETS, and 26 LEAFS games.

For some reason, I keep regretting trading in Alpha Protocol (which I got for $10) without playing it, even though I got a good deal. I keep looking for a $5 copy for either system, but am not having a ton of luck.

TSN has the local rights to the SENS, JETS, and LEAFS. In some cases for the next 10 years.... It isn't a small number of games either in 2015 - 2016 they were scheduled to broadcast 54 SENS, 60 JETS, and 26 LEAFS games.

Yep

TSN is a requirement if you're in Ontario and happen to be a Leafs or Snes fan.

Lexxism

I get basic cable from Rogers which includes TSN and Sportsnet. Why go out of your way to pay so much for special packages?
Where are you? BC? Basic cable in ON only has SN channels. I can't even include TSN as an add-on lol

do you guys even watch tsn tho? only sportsnet has NHL games and they have all the jays games too.
Yeah, of course. They have the Raptors and NBA games. That's why for $25 is pretty expensive since I only watch Blue Jays on SN.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Where are you? BC? Basic cable in ON only has SN channels. I can't even include TSN as an add-on lol

I'm in ON. Honestly if you ask me
which you didn't
, the big 3 have this reputation for being big evil corporations but when you call you speak to a human being and being nice to them can pay off.

I'm currently paying almost as much for unlimited internet and basic cable with Rogers as I was for 4x slower internet with Distributel.

I fell into the whole "big 3 evil, only the small guy looks out for you" trap. It' not about the little guy, it's about you the consumer and where you can get the best value.

Still remember when I as cancelling Distributel and the guy goes "May I ask why you're cancelling? I see you've been with us for 2 years and never had any complaints." I replied "Rogers is offering my faster internet and basic able for about the same price I'm paying now. The only thing Distributel ever offered me as a 2 year customer was price hikes"

tldr - Call around to see various offers. Big three aren't out to get you and the small guy definitely isn't looking out for you.

Anyone want to sell me their used copy of doom (either system)? Looking at you Chewie (saw you posting not so great honest impressions in the Doom thread)

Google

Yeah, I think I'd want both sports channels. As an English guy I like to watch The Premier League and Champions League games but I also am a Whitecaps Season Ticket so want the MLS access as well.

$25 seems like a lot when you consider the price point it would take to add it to basic cable. But it's a good option if you don't want any other type of TV.

I assume this $25 a month app does not have a 'recording' functionality? Like, I'd have to wake up at 4AM to watch the early premier league games.

iLLmAtlc

Hmm as I understand it you don't need cable to get the sportsnet streaming. So theoretically the idea is to just to can cable and keep the Internet + sportsnet.

I find it pretty attractive because I pretty much only watch NHL and jays. All Canucks games are on sportsnet too.

So keeping cable to watch occasional tennis, select nba and nfl games seems like quite a luxury for me.

kennah

Is there a site where I can look up what providors are available at an address or do I need to go to all of them manually. Changing provinces next year so have no idea what is even in the area.

Ondore

From the old thread (which somebody really needs to lock):
So I'm tempted to get a few digital games on the Xbox Marketplace, but I haven't done this before. (I know, LTTP.)

Does the "billing address in Alberta" trick work to lower sales tax?

Megasoum

Banned
http://www.tivs.ca/

Looks like it hasn't been active in over a month though.

Thanks... Sucks if it's not updated anymore.

The last couple of times I tried to get price via phone they always pretty much said "Fuck you, you have to come in store" which really sucks. Considering that in my case it's for the PS4 version of MKX (non XL) I doubt it's worth the trip.

Big Chungus

How many skus are there for Overwatch Origins for the PC?

I ordered the game online from Best Buy but it's going to take a few days to get here, thinking of just buying it in store today and swapping it.

Kyolux

I ordered the game online from Best Buy but it's going to take a few days to get here, thinking of just buying it in store today and swapping it.

Probably just one. Any reason you didn't just get the cheaper version on blizzard's site?

Luigi87

Two retail SKUs (Origins and Collectors), and then of course the $40 USD version through Battle.net, which is just the game and none of the Origins exclusive skins, or other Battle.net games content.

All launch editions of Origins should have Widowmaker Noire included.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom