• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 7: More Shipping Talk than Anime & TV GAF

Status
Not open for further replies.

kevin1025

Banned
Cheapest place to get Overwatch on PS4? And does anyone know what the trade-in value for Black Ops 3 is now?

Thinking of trading that in + Destiny and AC Unity for Overwatch at EB Games. But if I gotta pay another $40-50 on top of that, fuck it.

Black Ops III is definitely over $8 based on their "trade 3, get $70" list, but I don't know how much more it's worth than that. I traded mine in back in March and I think I got $25 or so, but you never know with EB Games.

Yep. Two dollar milkshakes. Got one last night, and it was really good.

First milkshake I'd had in quite some time. It came to $2.10.

That's a pretty good deal, then. I might pick one up later since it's around the corner!

daftstar

Those games will probably get you $5 a piece, max. Destiny has been $19 multiple times, and Unity has been even lower (they eve gave Unity away with Syndicate when that first came out.)

Expected that to be honest. EB has that power trade promotion going on though that adds 30% on trade-ins toward new releases. If I can get around $20 for both Destiny + AC Unity and ~35$ for BO3, I'd settle for that. All of them are collecting dust anyways.

RS4-

I'll check out Harvey's, good shakes though? Fast food wise, I think I've only had mcds and BK a few times over the years. Don't think I've had the dq ones.

Re: blops 3, tiv is 30 something. I might've got 40 or 45 a few weeks ago at Eb. Pretty sure it was 40.

killroy87

Expected that to be honest. EB has that power trade promotion going on though that adds 30% on trade-ins toward new releases. If I can get around $20 for both Destiny + AC Unity and ~35$ for BO3, I'd settle for that. All of them are collecting dust anyways.

Call to make sure, but I'd bet money on Unity capping out at $1, and I mean that seriously.

I'll check out Harvey's, good shakes though? Fast food wise, I think I've only had mcds and BK a few times over the years. Don't think I've had the dq ones.

I'm not super picky, but I was impressed with it. I wish I would've bought a bigger one, because it was gone too quickly, but the size was actually pretty good for $2.10. Screw paying $4 for a shake.

daftstar

Black Ops III is definitely over $8 based on their "trade 3, get $70" list, but I don't know how much more it's worth than that. I traded mine in back in March and I think I got $25 or so, but you never know with EB Games.

Re: blops 3, tiv is 30 something. I might've got 40 or 45 a few weeks ago at Eb. Pretty sure it was 40.

Call to make sure, but I'd bet money on Unity capping out at $1, and I mean that seriously.

Yeah, iirc, they're selling Destiny and AC Unity for $15 used each. Highly unlikely you'll get even $5 each.

Alright I'll give em a call. Thanks guys.

Edit: So BO3 is $30 and would be almost $40 with the power trade promo. For the rest, the rep said they'll have to do it in-store (guess he couldn't use the register at the moment). So I'm assuming I'll get around ~50$ for all 3 toward a $90 new game.

Now the question is: Is Overwatch worth around 40$ lol. I usually play solo in MP and am aware it's a team-based game.. but the impressions and reviews I'm hearing are all positive for the most part.

killroy87

Edit: So BO3 is $30 and would be almost $40 with the power trade promo. For the rest, the rep said they'll have to do it in-store (guess he couldn't use the register at the moment). So I'm assuming I'll get around ~50$ for all 3 toward a $90 new game.

Now the question is: Is Overwatch worth around 40$ lol. I usually play solo in MP and am aware it's a team-based game.. but the impressions and reviews I'm hearing are all positive for the most part.

Shoulda got in on that sweet, sweet open beta goodness!

kevin1025

Banned

I'm playing it solo on PC and having a great time! Word of warning, when I played the PC and PS4 beta, the console version feels a little slower because of using a controller and it made me end up going PC personally, but it's still a fantastic game. If it looks like a good time to you, I think you'll end up happy with the purchase!

Sora_N

Werd. This game wasn't even on my radar until I saw all the reviews and checked out gameplay vids. Plus I wasn't expecting to get bored with Uncharted 4 as fast as I did :\

I didn't play beta (no time) and jumped right into buying it, don't regret it. Just don't have a lot of time to play though!

Damn it! I was just looking through the cupboard, for my cheques, and decided to throw out some old receipts.

I found one I'd been looking for, and am going to burn the rest. But I looked at them all, and saw something I didn't realize and it pisses me off it's too late now.

I bought Dr. Scholl's shoes from Walmart. One pair in March and another in April. They were both supposed to be $25, on sale from $50, but the receipt says I paid the full $50 for one.

Damn it.

RS4-

I wish Overwatch was cheaper. Can't justify $90 on an online only game. I get sick of multiplayer too quickly.

I'm not too interested after I played the beta, made it easier not to buy when there was no cross play. Friends were split between pc and ps4.

superbad

Just in case you prefer Best Buy, you'd get the following there:

BO3 - $35
Destiny - $7
AC: Unity - $5

Faenix1

anyone know what's up with my DS4?

Seems to be having issues turning on but according to my PS4 it's full. (Plug it in and it'll flash orange once and won't come back on. Don't remember but I think that means full too?)

I'll hit the PS button and nothing will happen. Suddenly a minute or so later it'll turn on and be usable. It's kind of weird it's just started randomly happening today. :S

Sorry, this isn't gaming related but I didn't know where else to ask.

Which mobile service provider has the best deals/prices? I'm going to be upgrade my iPhone soon, and I'm debating which provider to go with. I was on a shared Telus plan with my parents up until now, but I'm taking over my bill. I'm thinking about sticking with Telus - because even though they charge the most (between Bell and Rogers) upfront, they have the lowest monthly plan option. $80 for 1 GB + 300 minutes is all I really need, and it's cheaper than all the other big name options. Plus, they offer the option to buy AppleCare+ for $9/month, which is nice.

I've never had any issues with Telus, but I've also never had experiences with any other provider. Just wondering if you guys know of any better "deals" than what Telus has going?

daftstar

I didn't play beta (no time) and jumped right into buying it, don't regret it. Just don't have a lot of time to play though!

I'll be in the same boat. I'm just hoping it has longevity based on fun factor through character variation since there's not much else content I've seen. Granted I did manage to put in 150 hours for BO3 MP with unlocking cosmetic stuff as the main motivation.

Just in case you prefer Best Buy, you'd get the following there:

BO3 - $35
Destiny - $7
AC: Unity - $5

Thanks. I'm gonna head to EB tomorrow and see how much they offer. Probably stick with them if it's within the 45-50$ range.

kevin1025

Banned
Just to make sure, Best Buy sells Steam wallet cards at all of their locations, right? They're only showing as being sold at one location here in Ottawa, and it's a pretty decent ways out from me. I want to make sure before I do a trade-in halfway across the city.

I just went to Harvey's again, for food this time, and she handed me my food before I even paid. I was honest, though. Don't need that on my conscience.

-Deimos

Dang. Well at least it was now and not a few months ago when you would feel torn about waiting for the new stuff or getting a full priced 900 series card.

You could probably get a used 980 ti pretty damn cheap in the next week or two?

Probably gonna hold out for the 1070, unless I find some crazy deal on a 900 card.

SickBoy

Which mobile service provider has the best deals/prices? I'm going to be upgrade my iPhone soon, and I'm debating which provider to go with. I was on a shared Telus plan with my parents up until now, but I'm taking over my bill. I'm thinking about sticking with Telus - because even though they charge the most (between Bell and Rogers) upfront, they have the lowest monthly plan option. $80 for 1 GB + 300 minutes is all I really need, and it's cheaper than all the other big name options. Plus, they offer the option to buy AppleCare+ for $9/month, which is nice.

I've never had any issues with Telus, but I've also never had experiences with any other provider. Just wondering if you guys know of any better "deals" than what Telus has going?

If you don't have any complaints, maybe it's worth sticking around. To answer your question, Wind likely has the best deals/prices, but you also have to be OK with their network, not to mention some of the annoyances of their services (for example, do you think you'll be out of their network area much? If so, prepare to pay more).

But given that you're asking about the big name options, I imagine Wind might have never been on your list. So, I think these things:

1) Also check the subsidiary brands.
So maybe you've looked at Telus, Bell and Rogers. But have you compared Koodo, Virgin and Fido? They all operate on their parents' networks, so at the very least you should see similar performance (if not exactly the same as what you're seeing now.

2) Keep an eye out for promos. Fido seems to offer deals now and again. Also check to see if you can access special deals anywhere: I can get some (honestly pretty crappy) "deals" through my work that are somewhat different from off-the=shelf plans, and I know that they used to (and maybe still do time to time) offer better-than-average contracts through Costco's wireless store.

3) Whatever you do, call Telus. Unless you find something that blows your current plan out of the water (and maybe even if you do), call Telus and see if they'll negotiate. I think Telus in the past has been a little tighter than other providers when it comes to offering deals, but these days everyone is. Regardless, deals still seem attainable in some form. Look here to see what some people are getting: http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php/1787017-Official-Loyalty-amp-Retention-thread ...I think it's just worth calling and telling them that you like being a Telus customer, but on the other hand you can get a 2GB plan from Wind for $35/month ($60 after "boosting" your tab). Is there anything they can do to improve their offering....?

Tapejara

So NISA and Atlus cutting ties may have benefited us. When Grand Kingdom was being distributed by Atlus the game was listed on Amazon as $79.99. After they switched to KT the game's price dropped to $64.99. Amazon just put up Psycho-Pass and it's also listed at $64.99.

Vinc

Any deals or recommendations for a Chromebook? I'm looking to replace my 6 year old laptop with a full desktop, but I'd like a chromebook for portability and use around the living room. I basically want the best bang for your buck.... good build quality and performance for as low as possible.

kaiyo

You can check out Public Mobile, owned by Telus. They have decent plans for the price.

$45/month for province wide talk, unlimited Canada wide text, 1gb data. You can mix and match.

If you go with a 90 days plan you can get province wide talk, Canada wide text, 6gb data for the 90 days for $140. Works out to be ~2gb/month, for ~$47 a month.

You also get discounts for setting up pre authorized payment, inviting friends, staying with them etc.

But you have to bring your own device. If you can (have the money to) buy your own phone, it's higher up front fee but you will save money over time/year.

kaiyo

anyone know what's up with my DS4?

Seems to be having issues turning on but according to my PS4 it's full. (Plug it in and it'll flash orange once and won't come back on. Don't remember but I think that means full too?)

I'll hit the PS button and nothing will happen. Suddenly a minute or so later it'll turn on and be usable. It's kind of weird it's just started randomly happening today. :S
Did you try resetting the controller? There's a pin hole at the back. Turn off the ps4 and use a paperclip or pin and hold the reset button for several seconds.

daevv

Quick question for the Amazon.ca experts.
I've received 2 of my 3 preordered games in last years E3 promotion 3 for 30%. What happens if I cancel the third game? Will they want money back or will they even care?

c-murph

I've received 2 of my 3 preordered games in last years E3 promotion 3 for 30%. What happens if I cancel the third game? Will they want money back or will they even care?

Never had it happen. Ain't no one watching all the purchases and promotion deals.
(Except big brother)
Cancel away if you don't want it.

They aren't going to come after you for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom