• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 7: More Shipping Talk than Anime & TV GAF

Status
Not open for further replies.
How much is your monthly? What's your plan?
I don't pay my own bill, but I will be starting in June. I think my parents paid about $70 a month, but that was without data (ugh) and basic "extra" features. I was hoping that I could get some kind of deal while changing ownership and upgrading my phone/plan, but they were only offering me what a new customer would be paying.

Lexxism

I don't pay my own bill, but I will be starting in June. I think my parents paid about $70 a month, but that was without data (ugh) and basic "extra" features. I was hoping that I could get some kind of deal while upgrading my phone/plan, but they were only offering me what a new customer would be paying.
Try checking my edit post.

So I received my copy of Overwatch in from Amazon.ca today. Turns out they sent me the bi-lingual cover. Could have picked the game up at walmart last Friday afterall. Missed opportunity.

khaaan

I don't pay my own bill, but I will be starting in June. I think my parents paid about $70 a month, but that was without data (ugh) and basic "extra" features. I was hoping that I could get some kind of deal while changing ownership and upgrading my phone/plan, but they were only offering me what a new customer would be paying.

Geez, $70 without data? Are you in the Edmonton/Calgary/GTA?

Another poster mentioned Wind and I do think they are the best deal but their service has always been shoddy for me. It works decently enough while I'm at home or on my commute so I haven't really complained.

A coworker of mine switch to Chatr Unlimited Plan recently which gives you unlimited talk/text/data (1GB full speed) for $40 if you're in-zone. From what I've seen, their network is better than Wind.

How much is your monthly? What's your plan?

I tried to estimate the cost of your bill in 2 years with Telus and Public Mobile.

Let's say iPhone SE.

Telus = ($80 * 24 months) + $100 phone cost = $2020
Public Mobile = ($45 * 24 months) + $579 (outright) = $1659

So by going to Public Mobile and buying the phone outright, you are saving $361 in 2 years. That's a big save.

Telus is 1GB while Public is 2GB. It'so even lower if you just want 1GB for Public Mobile. A savings of $529.

Edit: it is definitely costly buying the phone outright at first but things will get better in the long run.
This is definitely a great deal, but I've been leaning heavily towards getting an iPhone 6s Plus, which would be an upfront cost of $1,159.00 +tx, which is more than I'm willing to spend right now. I think being stuck on a particular device is really what's getting me in trouble, since it doesn't seem that there's much flexibility when it comes to Apple products. (except for the Best Buy deal last week, which I didn't see until after store hours) Guess I'm SOL.

Geez, $70 without data? Are you in the Edmonton/Calgary/GTA?

Another poster mentioned Wind and I do think they are the best deal but their service has always been shoddy for me. It works decently enough while I'm at home or on my commute so I haven't really complained.

A coworker of mine switch to Chatr Unlimited Plan recently which gives you unlimited talk/text/data (1GB full speed) for $40 if you're in-zone. From what I've seen, their network is better than Wind.
I live in Whitby. They probably could have gotten a better deal, but my parents aren't really the type to push. They just said "we don't want data" and then took the first offer that was presented to them.

My cousin uses Chatr, and they have some great plans, but I'd like to stick with Apple phones.

RS4-

Why not buy the phone from someone, then get the plan?

I mean sure, there's always the risk of some scumfuck that'll blacklist the phone lol.

Lexxism

This is definitely a great deal, but I've been leaning heavily towards getting an iPhone 6s Plus, which would be an upfront cost of $1,159.00 +tx, which is more than I'm willing to spend right now. I think being stuck on a particular device is really what's getting me in trouble, since it doesn't seem that there's much flexibility when it comes to Apple products. (except for the Best Buy deal last week, which I didn't see until after store hours) Guess I'm SOL.
It is still cheaper on buying the phone outright but I understand that paying the upfront cost is not that easy.

Sealtest

If your off contact with telus you might have the same deal I had a few days ago.

Was able to get an iphone 6s with unlimited text, 300 min and 2gb data for $80 + tax and I only had to pay $130 upfront for the phone.

Shoeless

My friend was going to pick up a PS4, what are the odds of a re-stock?

You *might* want to tell your friend to hold off for a few days until after E3. If there's an announcement of a Neo model, then your friend can either decide to wait on the release of that console, or take advantage of the inevitable price drop that's going to hit "base" PS4 models.

It's always a little painful to buy something at one price only to see a big drop just a week or two later.

univbee

Anyone know which theaters in Canada are gonna stream the Sony E3 Conference?

Scotiabank Chinook - Calgary, Alberta
SilverCity Metropolis Cinemas - Burnaby, British Columbia
SilverCity Polo Park Cinemas - Winnipeg, Manitoba
Scotiabank Theatre Toronto - Toronto, Ontario
Cinema Banque Scotia Montreal - Montreal, Quebec

Canon

Banned
Amazon shipped me a french copy of Overwatch; so I basically could've played the game 4 days ago but they gave me false information.

And the side of the box is damaged. Whatever.

Windam

Scaley member
CanadaDealsGAF, I need your help. I can't play Overwatch with my crappy keyboard anymore so I wanna buy something today that doesn't go over $130-$140. On RFD I found deals for these two keyboards, the Razer BlackWidow Ultimate Stealth 2016 and the Corsair Gaming Strafe Mechanical Gaming Keyboard. I've never bought a gaming keyboard before so I don't really what the difference between these two is, but my only real concern is that the keyboard should not be very loud. Is the Razer stealth a bit quieter in that sense, or is that just a marketing name or something? Any help would be much appreciated.

I use the Corsair K70 with Cherry MX reds, and the only loud sound comes from when you tap the key all the way to the base, which isn't necessary to register a keystroke. Got it for little over $100 I think during a Canada Computers sale last year.

Amazon shipped me a french copy of Overwatch; so I basically could've played the game 4 days ago but they gave me false information.

And the side of the box is damaged. Whatever.

Yep. Same. But someone on here said they got the all English version from amazon. And the bar code they posted didn't match what was at Walmart so I sat and waited. Oh well.

Megasoum

Banned
Hey guys... Remember yesterday when I said that Memoryexpress asked me to send them a utility bill and government ID to confirm my identity for my 1080 order?

Yeah so...huh... The dude that sent me that mail just looked at my Linked In profile...

Wtf... This is getting creepy.

Hey guys... Remember yesterday when I said that Memoryexpress asked me to send them a utility bill and government ID to confirm my identity for my 1080 order?

Yeah so...huh... The dude that sent me that mail just looked at my Linked In profile...

His thinking "How come he can afford one and not me"

killroy87

Don't do it. Or at least call them first to make sure that's actually a thing.

Riptwo

That's bizarre! I've never ordered from them online, but I know in-store that they're really intense about verifying drivers licenses with credit card transactions. One employee told me that the managers even reviewed camera footage to make sure that the staff always followed the rule, so they legitimately *are* pretty hardcore about that element.

The Linkedin part is super strange though.

Megasoum

Banned
Yeah I doubt that the LinkedIn part was actual official business....My guess is that the dude was curious.

I mean... My profile is public so could have found me just with my name without the IDs.

I could try to contact a manager there but is it really worth all the hassle? Not like I would get anything out of it.

Lexxism

That's really weird. I only ordered to them once but they never asked for those. They just asked to make sure that my address on memory express is the same with my credit card address.

khaaan

Did you provide them with a utility bill + government ID? That's such a strange/creepy thing to ask for.

Megasoum

Banned
Did you provide them with a utility bill + government ID? That's such a strange/creepy thing to ask for.

Yeah

My guess is that they won't be getting many cards and they want to avoid scalpers and people who pre-ordered on like 5 websites thinking they can just cancel when the first one ships.

The ID stuff was weird but whatever... LinkedIn is a bit much...

Riptwo

Yeah I doubt that the LinkedIn part was actual official business....My guess is that the dude was curious.

I mean... My profile is public so could have found me just with my name without the IDs.

I could try to contact a manager there but is it really worth all the hassle? Not like I would get anything out of it.
I honestly think that it's a good idea to call up Memory Express and just verify what's going on with the license/utility bill business. Here's the contact page. Between that and the Linkedin profiling, my "Identity Theft" sense is tingling, and it's probably a good idea to see if that's actually store policy.

kevin1025

Banned

Possible new best friend...?

Yeah, that's weird.

Megasoum

Banned
I honestly think that it's a good idea to call up Memory Express and just verify what's going on with the license/utility bill business. Here's the contact page. Between that and the Linkedin profiling, my "Identity Theft" sense is tingling, and it's probably a good idea to see if that's actually store policy.

Well my order went from InProcess to WaitingForCustomer and back to InProcess on the website so it's somewhat reassuring.

Okay, that's where I would draw the line. Definitely worth calling Memory Express to see what's up. I hope it's just a lone, unsanctioned employee being a weird dick, and not something more nefarious; I'd hate to have to stop shopping there.

My One Piece Burning Blood just shipped. Hopefully I can sell it on Kijiji for at cost or a small profit and keep the pre order code for when the game is cheap.

KJA

Hey, is there a BST thread for Canadians over here? I have a copy of Xenoblade X that I opened but I never got around to playing it and I was wondering if there was any place that I can sell on here.

baconcow

Well my order went from InProcess to WaitingForCustomer and back to InProcess on the website so it's somewhat reassuring.

Read your stuff about Memory Express. From my experience, Memory Express is super legit. I have only had an issue once when my billing and shipping addresses are different and they could not verify the shipping address with my credit card. I ended up just having the product shipped to my billing address (which is close enough) to avoid requiring more paperwork. For my situation anyways, they were likely only trying to protect against people attempting credit card fraud.

Scotiabank Chinook - Calgary, Alberta
SilverCity Metropolis Cinemas - Burnaby, British Columbia
SilverCity Polo Park Cinemas - Winnipeg, Manitoba
Scotiabank Theatre Toronto - Toronto, Ontario
Cinema Banque Scotia Montreal - Montreal, Quebec

That makes me so happy that they're showing it in Winnipeg. Can't wait to get tickets.

N° 2048

How do you know if someone is just looking at your LinkedIn? That sounds like knowing someone looked at your Facebook profile?

Not familiar with LinkedIn.

Megasoum

Banned
How do you know if someone is just looking at your LinkedIn? That sounds like knowing someone looked at your Facebook profile?

This is a built-in feature of LinkedIn. You can see people who looked at your profile (unless they set their own profile to private)

Hey pals, is anyone able to check the UPC of their PS4 copy of Overwatch Origins for me? Even just the last 4 digits?

Picked it up at Walmart today and it's installing on my PS4 as we speak but I just got a shipping confirmation from Amazon. I guess I must have drunkenly ordered it the other night (I tend to do that).
I HATE Amazon's return process so I'd like to return the one I get in the mail to Walmart if the UPCs match up. It's no big deal if I can't I guess, I'm just lazy lol.

It tells you outright that someone's been checking you out. IIRC you have to pay for premium if you want to hide the fact that you've been creeping on people (which admittedly, is a genius business model).

Megasoum

Banned
It tells you outright that someone's been checking you out. IIRC you have to pay for premium if you want to hide the fact that you've been creeping on people (which admittedly, is a genius business model).

Nah you don't need to pay but if you want to hide yourself you automatically loose the ability to see who looked at your account. It's all or nothing.

Nah you don't need to pay but if you want to hide yourself you automatically loose the ability to see who looked at your account. It's all or nothing.

I thought paying for premium let you have your cake and eat it too. Of course it came to me in a promotional email so I could've read it wrong. Doesn't matter to me much cause I barely use it lol.

Megasoum

Banned
I thought paying for premium let you have your cake and eat it too. Of course it came to me in a promotional email so I could've read it wrong. Doesn't matter to me much cause I barely use it lol.

Ah yeah, maybe you can be hidden but still see who's looking at you with premium. Would make sense

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom