• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 7: More Shipping Talk than Anime & TV GAF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Past

Quick question for the Amazon.ca experts.
I've received 2 of my 3 preordered games in last years E3 promotion 3 for 30%. What happens if I cancel the third game? Will they want money back or will they even care?

Can you even cancel once an item has shipped? I get this error message: Your item has not been cancelled
Because this item was part of a multi-item promotion, it cannot be cancelled at this time. Please contact Customer Service for assistance.

I tried contacting Customer Service and they get an error when they try to cancel my order too.

Sora_N

I'll be in the same boat. I'm just hoping it has longevity based on fun factor through character variation since there's not much else content I've seen. Granted I did manage to put in 150 hours for BO3 MP with unlocking cosmetic stuff as the main motivation.

Thanks. I'm gonna head to EB tomorrow and see how much they offer. Probably stick with them if it's within the 45-50$ range.

You end up trading it in? I tried to play the campaign last night and feel like it'd probably waste my time, I hate them for making the trophies only show up for hardened and up. I'm not great at these games.

I don't think I'm ever buying a COD game again.

Probably gonna trade/sell it since I only paid $45.

Can you even cancel once an item has shipped? I get this error message: Your item has not been cancelled
Because this item was part of a multi-item promotion, it cannot be cancelled at this time. Please contact Customer Service for assistance.

I tried contacting Customer Service and they get an error when they try to cancel my order too.

Did you try from the mobile app or mobile website? It's the only way I can cancel some of my games.

Bought Overwatch but my PS+ expired last month, no way to get any kind of deal at the moment, right?

daftstar

You end up trading it in? I tried to play the campaign last night and feel like it'd probably waste my time, I hate them for making the trophies only show up for hardened and up. I'm not great at these games.

I don't think I'm ever buying a COD game again.

Probably gonna trade/sell it since I only paid $45.

Yup just got back. First EB I went to was out of stock, so I just drove 10 min. to the next one. Funny thing is this particular EB wouldn't accept my copy of BO3 since it had French packaging (got it for $45 too from Amazon deal last Black Friday). I told them it's only the packaging but the game itself is English and the game disc had English copyright info on it too...No dice since they "couldn't guarantee it and be able to resell to someone else".

Luckily there was a Best Buy right next door and they happily took it for $35 + AC Unity for $5 and Destiny for $7. Ended up paying $43 total for Overwatch PS4.

So EB I learned is pretty much YMMV and it depends on the reps' mood I guess lol.

Sora_N

Yup just got back. First EB I went to was out of stock, so I just drove 10 min. to the next one. Funny thing is this particular EB wouldn't accept my copy of BO3 since it had French packaging (got it for $45 too from Amazon deal last Black Friday). I told them it's only the packaging but the game itself is English and the game disc had English copyright info on it too...No dice since they "couldn't guarantee it and be able to resell to someone else".

Luckily there was a Best Buy right next door and they happily took it for $35 + AC Unity for $5 and Destiny for $7. Ended up paying $43 total for Overwatch PS4.

So EB I learned is pretty much YMMV and it depends on the reps' mood I guess lol.

Dammit, it's a different barcode right and that's the problem?

I wanted to trade and buy something from EB (a funko figure).

Funny thing is I have those 3 exact games that I don't really want either haha.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
CanadaDealsGAF, I need your help. I can't play Overwatch with my crappy keyboard anymore so I wanna buy something today that doesn't go over $130-$140. On RFD I found deals for these two keyboards, the Razer BlackWidow Ultimate Stealth 2016 and the Corsair Gaming Strafe Mechanical Gaming Keyboard. I've never bought a gaming keyboard before so I don't really what the difference between these two is, but my only real concern is that the keyboard should not be very loud. Is the Razer stealth a bit quieter in that sense, or is that just a marketing name or something? Any help would be much appreciated.

23qwerty

CanadaDealsGAF, I need your help. I can't play Overwatch with my crappy keyboard anymore so I wanna buy something today that doesn't go over $130-$140. On RFD I found deals for these two keyboards, the Razer BlackWidow Ultimate Stealth 2016 and the Corsair Gaming Strafe Mechanical Gaming Keyboard. I've never bought a gaming keyboard before so I don't really what the difference between these two is, but my only real concern is that the keyboard should not be very loud. Is the Razer stealth a bit quieter in that sense, or is that just a marketing name or something? Any help would be much appreciated.

idk about the stealth but I have the non stealth blackwidow and it's fairly loud, I've gotten over it though. worst case you can always get some of those o-rings that you put under the keys to make it quieter

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
idk about the stealth but I have the non stealth blackwidow and it's fairly loud, I've gotten over it though. worst case you can always get some of those o-rings that you put under the keys to make it quieter

Thanks for the tip! I also found about this Corsair with Cherry MX Silent switches and looks great but is almost $200. Any other keyboards that use similar switches but a bit cheaper? I could do without the LED backlight for example.

daftstar

Dammit, it's a different barcode right and that's the problem?

I wanted to trade and buy something from EB (a funko figure).

Funny thing is I have those 3 exact games that I don't really want either haha.

Yea it's a different barcode. First rep at EB took my word for it that the game itself is in English and only the cover is French so they would've done it if they had Overwatch in stock. So it seems like they're inconsistent when it comes to rules for this situation.

And yea Best Buy is likely your best option to trade in those games since they'll offer pretty much the same amount as EB and their power trade promo. Only difference is no hassle from BB.

Plus they have an online estimator which makes it way more convenient. http://tradein.bestbuy.ca/bb/QuoteCalculatorVideoGames.cfm

Cherry MX Reds are non-tactile switches, so they should be relatively quiet. Most of the noise will come from the key bottoming out on the keyboard, rather than the switch itself. Razer has started using their own keyswitches so who knows how quiet they are really.

I'm using a Coolermaster CM Storm Quickfire Pro I got on sale a while back; this looks to be the updated version and uses Cherry MX Brown switches like my keyboard does. It's definitely louder than a cheapo $15 membrane keyboard, but again that's largely due to the keys bottoming out rather than the sound of the switch. If you've got a lighter touch on the keys (say, because you actually learned to touch-type versus my sorry ass), Browns might actually work better for you because the semi-tactile click will let you know to stop pushing down before the key bottoms out, which would then be quieter.

i-Jest

not a deal but King of the Fighters XIV: Premium Edition is up on amazon.ca for $99.99

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01G7K2KI6/

From the KOF thread about the release, this is supposed to be an actual limited release.

I put in a preorder just to be safe. Seeing as how it isn't officially labelled a collectors edition, we might be able to score this with 30% off during E3.

So NISA and Atlus cutting ties may have benefited us. When Grand Kingdom was being distributed by Atlus the game was listed on Amazon as $79.99. After they switched to KT the game's price dropped to $64.99. Amazon just put up Psycho-Pass and it's also listed at $64.99.

Hmmm. I might just bite on this.

You're making the right decision. That latest game trailer is definitely not what was once advertised.

The trailer is definitely corney. It feels like they're trying to appeal to a younger crowed of gamers, which doesn't make sense because most Megaman fans are adults. I'm not turned off by gameplay personally but I'd definitely want to try before I buy if possible.

Kiro

Does dying light season pass for ps4 ever go on sale for extremely cheap? Playing through it now and loving every second of it. I bought it foolishly before the goty edition was ever mentioned.

TechJunk

Any deals or recommendations for a Chromebook? I'm looking to replace my 6 year old laptop with a full desktop, but I'd like a chromebook for portability and use around the living room. I basically want the best bang for your buck.... good build quality and performance for as low as possible.

I had an Asus 201pa, was good, cheap too, 2gb option was fine for me, light browsing, not too many tabs. It's been slated to get Google Play store too, although not right away. I think it was $199 when I bought. The Asus Chromebook Flip and Chromebook 301 are apparently good too, I like Asus in general . Most websites say the Dell Chromebook is best, but it's also much more expensive .

Faenix1

Did you try resetting the controller? There's a pin hole at the back. Turn off the ps4 and use a paperclip or pin and hold the reset button for several seconds.

Yeah, that seems to be the only way to get it to power on. Even then it takes a few minutes for the red light to come on. Kind of reminds me of those times my PC used to go to "sleep" and it wouldn't wake up until you hit the power/reset button.

Used it for a good 5 hours last night playing Uncharted 4 so it seems to be fine otherwise. Could I just need to replace the battery?

Megasoum

Banned
Huh... Anybody here ever ordered stuff from Memoryexpress.com?

I pre-ordered a EVGA GTX 1080 FTW on friday and just got this email... The fuck??

Hello,

Thanks for your online order. We just need to complete one more step for verification purposes before we can ship out your order. Would you be able to provide a utility bill (or phone bill) and government ID with your name and address on it? The name and address must match with what you have submitted to us for your order for security purposes. As soon as we receive these documents we will verify the information so that we can ship your order out.

Most credit card verifications are done automatically online by our payment gateway. We understand, however, that providing maximum protection to our valued customers is essential. Thus, our verification department may ask our customers for additional information such as government issued ID, etc. to ensure that we are dealing with the rightful cardholder. This process is not required for every transaction and is in place to minimize the possibility of unauthorized usage of your credit card.

Thank you for your assistance.

I pre-ordered a EVGA GTX 1080 FTW on friday and just got this email... The fuck??

MemoryExpress is about as legit as a retailer gets.

Honestly, be thankful they're taking that measure for a huge purchase. Better than getting your card stolen and used for something like that.

Ordered from them multiple times without issue, they're NCIX/Canada Computers tier in my mind. Their verification request doesn't sound out of the ordinary (though kind of heavy) for CC verification, though I've never had them ask me for it before. Could just be that because of the huge interest in the GTX 1080, they're being extra cautious?

Oh, and I've used Mastercard for all my ME purchases.

Megasoum

Banned
All right, thanks for the replies guys.

Guess it's time to find a pdf of my Hydro bill and take a picture of my driver's license...

kevin1025

Banned
Yea it's a different barcode. First rep at EB took my word for it that the game itself is in English and only the cover is French so they would've done it if they had Overwatch in stock. So it seems like they're inconsistent when it comes to rules for this situation.

And yea Best Buy is likely your best option to trade in those games since they'll offer pretty much the same amount as EB and their power trade promo. Only difference is no hassle from BB.

Plus they have an online estimator which makes it way more convenient. http://tradein.bestbuy.ca/bb/QuoteCalculatorVideoGames.cfm

It's odd that they gave you a hard time for the French packaging. I bought the French version on Black Friday and traded it in at my local EB Games and they didn't even bat an eye, just scanned it and continued on.

It's also good to hear that the Best Buy estimator is accurate, I'm trading in a boatload of games for summer sale monies!

Could it be that your credit card address and your home address don't match at the moment? I had ID address issues when I voted and had to provide mail with my name and address, maybe it's the same sorta situation to prove your identity.

Megasoum

Banned
It's odd that they gave you a hard time for the French packaging. I bought the French version on Black Friday and traded it in at my local EB Games and they didn't even bat an eye, just scanned it and continued on.

It's also good to hear that the Best Buy estimator is accurate, I'm trading in a boatload of games for summer sale monies!

Could it be that your credit card address and your home address don't match at the moment? I had ID address issues when I voted and had to provide mail with my name and address, maybe it's the same sorta situation to prove your identity.

Nah they match.

Anyway I got a reply from the guy already thanking me. I asked him for a release date and he said they don't have a solid date yet but the vendor said 2-4 weeks and that he was putting me "in the queue".

My order went from "Waiting for customer" back to "In Process". So now I wait!

kevin1025

Banned
Nah they match.

Anyway I got a reply from the guy already thanking me. I asked him for a release date and he said they don't have a solid date yet but the vendor said 2-4 weeks and that he was putting me "in the queue".

My order went from "Waiting for customer" back to "In Process". So now I wait!

That's one item that will be totally worth the wait!

If you don't have any complaints, maybe it's worth sticking around. To answer your question, Wind likely has the best deals/prices, but you also have to be OK with their network, not to mention some of the annoyances of their services (for example, do you think you'll be out of their network area much? If so, prepare to pay more).
I was thinking about Wind, but do they offer iPhones? I couldn't find any iPhones on their website when I checked earlier, and I'd really like to stick with Apple. They do have some great plans though, and judging by their coverage map, I don't think I'd be out of their area too often. I live in Whitby right now, but I'll be moving to Kingston in September for school.

But given that you're asking about the big name options, I imagine Wind might have never been on your list. So, I think these things:

1) Also check the subsidiary brands.
So maybe you've looked at Telus, Bell and Rogers. But have you compared Koodo, Virgin and Fido? They all operate on their parents' networks, so at the very least you should see similar performance (if not exactly the same as what you're seeing now.

2) Keep an eye out for promos. Fido seems to offer deals now and again. Also check to see if you can access special deals anywhere: I can get some (honestly pretty crappy) "deals" through my work that are somewhat different from off-the=shelf plans, and I know that they used to (and maybe still do time to time) offer better-than-average contracts through Costco's wireless store.

3) Whatever you do, call Telus. Unless you find something that blows your current plan out of the water (and maybe even if you do), call Telus and see if they'll negotiate. I think Telus in the past has been a little tighter than other providers when it comes to offering deals, but these days everyone is. Regardless, deals still seem attainable in some form. Look here to see what some people are getting: http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php/1787017-Official-Loyalty-amp-Retention-thread ...I think it's just worth calling and telling them that you like being a Telus customer, but on the other hand you can get a 2GB plan from Wind for $35/month ($60 after "boosting" your tab). Is there anything they can do to improve their offering....?
I glanced over some of the mentioned brands, but I didn't realize they shared a network with the Big Three. I'll have to look more into what they offer in terms of promos and contract plans.

I'm calling Telus tomorrow to cancel my line, and I'm definitely going to be pulling out all the stops! I'll let them know that I was thinking about changing ownership at first, but then after doing some searching around discovered that there are more attractive deals. Bell shaves $50 off the upfront fee for the phone when you order online, which isn't a whole lot, but still better than Telus, who has the highest upfront costs among the Big 3. I'll check out that thread to see what others are getting too, see if I can pull a few extra strings.

Thanks for the tips!

But you have to bring your own device. If you can (have the money to) buy your own phone, it's higher up front fee but you will save money over time/year.
I wish I had the money to outright buy a new phone! I'll keep Public in mind for the future, though. Thanks.

Vinc

I had an Asus 201pa, was good, cheap too, 2gb option was fine for me, light browsing, not too many tabs. It's been slated to get Google Play store too, although not right away. I think it was $199 when I bought. The Asus Chromebook Flip and Chromebook 301 are apparently good too, I like Asus in general . Most websites say the Dell Chromebook is best, but it's also much more expensive .

Asus C201 is on the google store for 199 right now... though I'd ideally like to have a 13-14 inch screen. 11 is a bit small for me... do you know if google store charges provincial tax? I'm hoping they add the 301 soon, that one looks pretty good to me

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member

Sold out. That was a great deal. :(

Cherry MX Reds are non-tactile switches, so they should be relatively quiet. Most of the noise will come from the key bottoming out on the keyboard, rather than the switch itself. Razer has started using their own keyswitches so who knows how quiet they are really.

I'm using a Coolermaster CM Storm Quickfire Pro I got on sale a while back; this looks to be the updated version and uses Cherry MX Brown switches like my keyboard does. It's definitely louder than a cheapo $15 membrane keyboard, but again that's largely due to the keys bottoming out rather than the sound of the switch. If you've got a lighter touch on the keys (say, because you actually learned to touch-type versus my sorry ass), Browns might actually work better for you because the semi-tactile click will let you know to stop pushing down before the key bottoms out, which would then be quieter.

Thanks for the tip, I'll check this one out as well.

khaaan

Anyone know how to contact Sony support?

I accidentally bought the PS3 version of Life Is Strange instead of PS4. Checking their FAQ is a whole lot of "Contact Us" with no actual link.

Stage On

Whoever was working customer service that day wasn't doing their Job properly. They should be able to cancel your order easily. I had them do that for me recently for a game that I had the same issue with when trying to cancel it myself.

Whoever was working customer service that day wasn't doing their Job properly. They should be able to cancel your order easily. I had them do that for me recently for a game that I had the same issue with when trying to cancel it myself.

I'm not sure if I recall this correctly, but I remember some users saying if you go to the website on your mobile phone that you can cancel it that way without the error.

Lexxism

Public Mobile Is great
Yeah. I'm currently with them and I'm saving a lot of money. Currently with their provincial call, Canada wide text, 4gb for 90 days and I'm only paying $103 with taxes. I'm going to have more discount when I hit the 1 year mark this September.

You will definitely pay upfront for the phone but the cost that you will save in 2-3 years is greater than getting a phone from big 3.

khaaan

There's a Live Chat button at the very bottom of the page. I used it a few months back after doing the same thing, and got a refund without any issues.

Thanks!

I got on line with chat and they said the amount would be refunded to my wallet and it would take 3-5 business days to be reviewed. Is that how it went down for you? I guess it's fine since the money is going back to my wallet, and I'm sure I'm going to use it at some point but I was hoping to just use those $10 to get the PS4 version.

So, uh, did Amazon just stop using Canada Post? For the past 2-3 weeks I've ordered something from Amazon I've had a different delivery dude deliver my stuff from Amazon. More to the point, they actually deliver to my door in my apartment and leave the package at my doorstep now.

Sealtest

So, uh, did Amazon just stop using Canada Post? For the past 2-3 weeks I've ordered something from Amazon I've had a different delivery dude deliver my stuff from Amazon. More to the point, they actually deliver to my door in my apartment and leave the package at my doorstep now.

I still get Canada Post in Windsor, But maybe in some city's amazon got tired of how Canada Post now gives your parcel to the local mail men to deliver now.

Good old Indigo with random console discounts (remember Wii U's for ~$200?). The PS4 for $344 isn't bad. The $258 Blops 3 bundle is insane (also out of stock).

SickBoy

Thankful that Xbox deal sold out. Between that and the MS Gamerscore deal/bundle deals, I've been tempted. But I have zero need for a second XB1. Just such a good deal :)

I called Telus to
haggle
cancel my line, and they basically said, "alright, cya" - guess I don't have a future in Sales.

Thanks!

I got on line with chat and they said the amount would be refunded to my wallet and it would take 3-5 business days to be reviewed. Is that how it went down for you? I guess it's fine since the money is going back to my wallet, and I'm sure I'm going to use it at some point but I was hoping to just use those $10 to get the PS4 version.
That's exactly how it went for me, as well. It took about three days to get my refund. I bought the PS4 game in the meantime to avoid losing the sale price, and then just put my refunded wallet balance towards my next purchase. Hopefully I'll never make that mistake again, because they told me that the only reason they were giving me a refund was as a "token of gratitude for my loyalty" and because I've never had a similar issue in the past.

Lexxism

I called Telus to
haggle
cancel my line, and they basically said, "alright, cya" - guess I don't have a future in Sales.
How much is your monthly? What's your plan?

I tried to estimate the cost of your bill in 2 years with Telus and Public Mobile.

Let's say iPhone SE.

Telus = ($80 * 24 months) + $100 phone cost = $2020
Public Mobile = ($45 * 24 months) + $579 (outright) = $1659

So by going to Public Mobile and buying the phone outright, you are saving $361 in 2 years. That's a big save.

Telus is 1GB while Public is 2GB. It'so even lower if you just want 1GB for Public Mobile. A savings of $529.

Edit: it is definitely costly buying the phone outright at first but things will get better in the long run.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom