• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 7: More Shipping Talk than Anime & TV GAF

Status
Not open for further replies.

kaiyo

Nooo don't tell me it's being pulled! I'm on minute 22 of what the rep told me was an expected 30 minute wait for retention. I've waited this long mind as well go for it.
Does bell have gigabit fibe service for your house? If not you probably won't get it

kaiyo

You don't really to have that bell service in your place unless they got stricter about it. Some got 500 instead of gigabit
I called 2 times, first strictly said bell doesn't offer gigabit to my house, second time checked postal code.

RS4-

I got the deal, sort of expecting Rogers to fuck people over. I'm saving 40 a month. Would've been 75 but family wanted one of those specialty things.

RaidenXZ

Anyone know if we're getting the Nintendo Vans this Friday like the States? And if so, anyone think they'll be available online?

Rogers trying to tell me that gigabit is only slightly faster than 500u. Apparently gigabit isn't available in my area (high park and Bloor) yet everyone I spoke to failed to tell me that.

I am ok with 500 anyway as the deal is still better than my 60mbps plan from Teksavvy.

The last girl I talked to laughed when she saw the deal I got. She said that its been the same one all day.

Edit: cancelling with Teksavvy retentions was surprisingly smooth. Will have my internet cut off Saturday and they will send me a refund for the remainder of the month.

Firestorm

Stupid Vancouver, only having shit internet options.
To be fair we had ridiculous internet offers for years where Shaw and Telus would offer 1 year of $30-$40 a month for internet AND tv with no contractual obligations beyond that. Was easy to extend or switch at the end of the promo period.

For now it seems some of our indie options have fairly decent rates like http://surfinternet.ca

mdubs

Banned
just a heads up, but I'll put together the E3 Deals OT again this year and post it on the 10th when the Best Buy deal goes live. Always a fun ride

i-Jest

just a heads up, but I'll put together the E3 Deals OT again this year and post it on the 10th when the Best Buy deal goes live. Always a fun ride

A toast to late night early morning pre-orders, so we don't miss out on price errors. See you all in the new thread.

UberTag

Any word on how long this Rogers Gigabit Internet new customer promotion is going to be offered?
I'm looking to move at the start of the month and don't want to miss my window for that $99/month combined services package.

Firestorm

Please re-iterate like five times that Amazon.ca means you likely won't get your game until a week later.

Lexxism

Any word on how long this Rogers Gigabit Internet new customer promotion is going to be offered?
I'm looking to move at the start of the month and don't want to miss my window for that $99/month combined services package.
I don't think this will last. Call them, get the deal and mention about your situation and see what they can do.

Could be gone tonight.

Just a bit of an FYI

I switched recently from teksavvy to Rogers when the 100u ignite package was available. Since I switched I've probably lost my connection every other week for a brief period of time. Most recent? Today. Its been down since 2pm and hasn't been back since. I've never had as many problems with my internet as I've had with rogers. And now I'm locked in for 2 years.

Also, their shomi app on the ps4 is terrible. Like "data connection lost, your internet might be too slow" terrible. That's the message that I've gotten more than once. On a 100 down 10 up line. Netflix runs fine, but shomi needs to buffer.

I can't even put into proper words the level of frustration I'm having with it right now.

Kyolux

Or get prime and get it a day early or release day.

Amazon.ca has been much more on time for me than best buy. Best Buy I often can't get it until after the next week-end because of the no safe drop when games releases on a Friday.

edit: sorry for the smugness.. I realize this is not everyone's experience.. even with Prime.

No it does not. It's the perfect time to use the Prime trail if you have not already.
If I get a Prime trial for E3 pre-orders, would I be able to change the billing information? I'm getting a new credit card and shipping address, but I won't have either until well after E3. I know don't charge until after the item has been shipped, but I want to make sure they charge it to the right card. I've never really used Amazon before, so I'm not at all familiar with how they operate. I usually stick with Best Buy, but if Amazon has better deals/different games, I wouldn't mind giving them a try.

kevin1025

Banned
Just a bit of an FYI

I switched recently from teksavvy to Rogers when the 100u ignite package was available. Since I switched I've probably lost my connection every other week for a brief period of time. Most recent? Today. Its been down since 2pm and hasn't been back since. I've never had as many problems with my internet as I've had with rogers. And now I'm locked in for 2 years.

Also, their shomi app on the ps4 is terrible. Like "data connection lost, your internet might be too slow" terrible. That's the message that I've gotten more than once. On a 100 down 10 up line. Netflix runs fine, but shomi needs to buffer.

I can't even put into proper words the level of frustration I'm having with it right now.

Shomi buffering is really disappointing when it happens. I have my PC hooked up to my TV as well, and the Xbox One and PS4 apps of Shomi buffer usually halfway through a movie or episode, whereas watching on PC off their site, it's never buffering plus it actually looks sharper (the console app seems to shift quality based on what's in the current shot, like if it's a close-up or a wide shot. It's weird.).

Long story short, Shomi is great on PC!

If I get a Prime trial for E3 pre-orders, would I be able to change the billing information? I'm getting a new credit card and shipping address, but I won't have either until well after E3. I know don't charge until after the item has been shipped, but I want to make sure they charge it to the right card. I've never really used Amazon before, so I'm not at all familiar with how they operate. I usually stick with Best Buy, but if Amazon has better deals/different games, I wouldn't mind giving them a try.

Absolutely.

When get new card, add to amz account. Then, switch order to new card. Then, remove old/expired card from amz account.

Success

I won't have to cancel the order or anything though, right? The sales price will be retained when I switch the order?

No need to cancel order.

The sale prices will be fine, but shiping cost could change - mine didnt when switching between two toronto addresses but if you change shipping to a rural area or something far from an urban centre, anything like that, I think they warn that cost could be added.

KarmaCow

That Rogers deal is tempting but my father has Rogers for internet + TV and he's currently in an endless rigmarole trying to stop monthly charges for additional set top boxes he's returned ages ago and get credited for that bullshit each time it happens. With that and my past experience with Rogers, I really don't want to have to spend hours on the phone with CS every month when they try to overcharge me.

No need to cancel order.

The sale prices will be fine, but shiping cost could change - mine didnt when switching between two toronto addresses but if you change shipping to a rural area or something far from an urban centre, anything like that, I think they warn that cost could be added.
Ahh, fair enough. I'm moving from one urban area to another, so that hopefully won't be an issue.

Thanks for the information!

kevin1025

Banned
That Rogers deal is tempting but my father has Rogers for internet + TV and he's currently in an endless rigmarole trying to stop monthly charges for additional set top boxes he's returned ages ago and get credited for that bullshit each time it happens. With that and my past experience with Rogers, I really don't want to have to spend hours on the phone with CS every month when they try to overcharge me.

That happened to me four or so years back with Rogers. I had to go digging for the return receipt, they seem to have a reputation of doing that.

UberTag

Rogers is a customer service nightmare to deal with. I ought to know... once upon a time I worked for them. That said, are they holding gigabit Internet in Canada hostage right now or is anybody else offering Internet speeds that are on par with the rest of the developed world compared to what we've grown accustomed to?

ElNino

Please re-iterate like five times that Amazon.ca means you likely won't get your game until a week later.
For some, maybe. 90% of my Amazon E3 pre-orders were received within a day of release. Best Buy was better in shipping on (or before) release day, but they didn't always have the best price.

ElNino

I know every company has their issues, but for me Rogers has been great for CS. Their rate increases don't make me happy, but every time I've called them they have resolved my issue while I'm on the phone.

Now Bell on the other hand... their CS can die in a fiery grave. I feel bad for the Bell reps that come to my door (and the ones who phone every day) when I tell them that I will never under any circumstance go back to Bell. Without fail, their only response is that every company gives bad service so I shouldn't hold it against them.

Edit: Opps... sorry for the double post.

jeffyjaixx

Got in on the Rogers Gigabit + Digital TV VIP package earlier today. Picked up the modem in the afternoon and seems everything is working as intended now. Amazing deal.

Got in on the Rogers Gigabit + Digital TV VIP package earlier today. Picked up the modem in the afternoon and seems everything is working as intended now. Amazing deal.

Hmm. They are sending me a technician on Friday. I wasn't even given the option to pick stuff up myself. Maybe it's due to switching from Teksavvy to Rogers. A switch probably needs to be flipped.

Hmm. They are sending me a technician on Friday. I wasn't even given the option to pick stuff up myself. Maybe it's due to switching from Teksavvy to Rogers. A switch probably needs to be flipped.

Probably to check signal levels on the line. Pretty normal.

Did the same when a relative DOWNGRADED their service (cancelled phone, lowered tv plan). They sent a tech who removed a splitter and ran a new dedicated line.

RS4-

I gotta wait 2 weeks for mine as I've got nothing with them, I'm in no rush anyway.

Does bell have gigabit fibe service for your house? If not you probably won't get it

I checked on Bell's website and with my postal code it said only up to 50mbps was available.

When I called Rogers, the lady on the line was actually delightful I was shocked. I was prepped like you wouldn't believe and she gave it to me in a snap. Never asked if I could even get Bell internet in my area.

Going to pick up my modem tonight from Yorkdale. Can't wait for it to be activated

ElNino

I checked on Bell's website and with my postal code it said only up to 50mbps was available.

When I called Rogers, the lady on the line was actually delightful I was shocked. I was prepped like you wouldn't believe and she gave it to me in a snap. Never asked if I could even get Bell internet in my area.

Going to pick up my modem tonight from Yorkdale. Can't wait for it to be activated
Nice. The woman who helped me was really nice as well and it was activated before I even got off the phone with her.

It's already updated on my account on the Rogers site, but I'll need to wait for a billing cycle to confirm exactly how much I'll be paying. I had some Internet/TV discounts that were previously being applied so we'll see whether they are impacted. Either way, I should be saving a bit with this.

Windam

Scaley member
I'm on the $99 100u student plan they offered last year. I'd do the switch, but my mom has some discount on the home phone so that TV + internet + phone is all $99 that would probably bite the dust if I did. Told her to give them a call anyway since it can't hurt. I won't be home until after 9pm though. :c

Ryne

Okay so gigabit internet is ridiculous. I love the speed.

Swapped the modem this morning (the new one is much better aesthetically), but I shut off the wifi immediately. That's what I have a router for lol.

Lexxism

Okay so gigabit internet is ridiculous. I love the speed.

Swapped the modem this morning (the new one is much better aesthetically), but I shut off the wifi immediately. That's what I have a router for lol.
Do you mind taking a photo of the new modem for the gigabit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom