• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 7: More Shipping Talk than Anime & TV GAF

Status
Not open for further replies.

khaaan

Ugh. I swear my parents are insistent on paying as much as they possible can.

I've been trying to get them to cut the cord for years but they've always insisted that they need it and that the package deal is better for them (which to be fair, probably is). I brought up this deal with them and now they're insisting they can't switch because they're on a contract or something.

*sigh*

Ryne

Do you mind taking a photo of the new modem for the gigabit?
I rushed a bit, heading off to work shortly
G0CWK2N.jpg

Anth0ny

It seems like there's a deal for Rogers new customers.

Rogers Ignite GIGABIT (1gbps down, 50mbps up)
Rogers Digital VIP (365+ channels)
Unlimited Usage
Modem Included
HDPVR Included
Shomi Subscription (2yrs)
NHL GCL Subscription (1yr)

$99/month.

well that's amazing

I'm sure I'm shit outta luck as a current Rogers customer though, right?

Dazzler

Please anyone who pre-orders off Amazon don't spend the next 18 months whining about their shipping

You know what you're getting in for

For this reason, I'm pre-ordering everything with Best Buy

khaaan

Anyone know where to get a USB 3DS charger ASAP? I'm traveling soon. I guess the other alternative is to buy one of those outlet converter things.

RS4-

I've been trying to get them to cut the cord for years but they've always insisted that they need it and that the package deal is better for them (which to be fair, probably is). I brought up this deal with them and now they're insisting they can't switch because they're on a contract or something.

*sigh*

Check for them; if they're in the last year of the contract it's < 200. First year it's 400 max. Rep might waive it but that's a huge YMMV, much like the deal. Just do the math and see if they feel that it's worth it.

ElNino

*sigh*
Are they existing Rogers customers or would they be switching from someone else? Generally, I've found with Rogers that as long as you are not cancelling you can change your service anytime you want regardless of how long you have been on any particular package.

The rep even confirmed with this Gigabit deal that I could downgrade to basic TV if I wanted to.

Check for them; if they're in the last year of the contract it's < 200. First year it's 400 max. Rep might waive it but that's a huge YMMV, much like the deal. Just do the math and see if they feel that it's worth it.
That should only be for cancelling though, and the rep I spoke to yesterday confirmed that while quoting the same $400 max penalty.

Anyone know where to get a USB 3DS charger ASAP? I'm traveling soon. I guess the other alternative is to buy one of those outlet converter things.

I bought mine on Ebay from a Canadian seller but they seem sold out at the moment.

If I remember correctly, and if you're going to Europem you can't get a passive outlet converter (like this: http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51t8pUag87L._SX466_.jpg) as the 3ds charger does not support the european voltage (220V IIRC), you will need one with actual electronic to convert from 220V to 120V (like this: http://shop.rabtron.co.za/catalog/images/PSD45N.jpg)

RS4-

That should only be for cancelling though, and the rep I spoke to yesterday confirmed that while quoting the same $400 max penalty.

Nah, people still had to deal with ECF because they were breaking their current contract to sign up for the new one. Some reps waived it without being asked, others had to speak to supervisors.

Just have to get lucky.

khaaan

Are they existing Rogers customers or would they be switching from someone else? Generally, I've found with Rogers that as long as you are not cancelling you can change your service anytime you want regardless of how long you have been on any particular package.

The rep even confirmed with this Gigabit deal that I could downgrade to basic TV if I wanted to.

Yeah, we're existing Rogers Customers and are paying around $200. I'll try to talk to them again tonight, hopefully the deal is still up.

I bought mine on Ebay from a Canadian seller but they seem sold out at the moment.

If I remember correctly, and if you're going to Europem you can't get a passive outlet converter (like this: http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51t8pUag87L._SX466_.jpg) as the 3ds charger does not support the european voltage (220V IIRC), you will need one with actual electronic to convert from 220V to 120V (like this: http://shop.rabtron.co.za/catalog/images/PSD45N.jpg)

Crap. I specifically bought Art Academy as something relaxing to play during my downtime :(

I guess it'll be the PS3 and Vita that accompany me on my journey.

ElNino

Nah, people still had to deal with ECF because they were breaking their current contract to sign up for the new one. Some reps waived it without being asked, others had to speak to supervisors.

Just have to get lucky.
Maybe I'm just lucky then, as I've made many changes to my services over the years (both on and off contract) and I've never been asked about ECF while changing the level of my service. I even asked the rep about it yesterday when she was applying the Gigabit (500u for me) service to my account and she confirmed that as long as I wasn't cancelling the services then the ECF would not apply.

diaspora

The reddit EB Games canada leakers got caught recently. That idiot was found in the act posting shit there and HR found 3 years worth of leaks from that fool

Lexxism

It seems like some people were able to get the extra plus + HBO go(?) for the same price of violence? Damn I'm getting tempted especially gigabit is available at my place

RS4-

Maybe I'm just lucky then, as I've made many changes to my services over the years (both on and off contract) and I've never been asked about ECF while changing the level of my service. I even asked the rep about it yesterday when she was applying the Gigabit (500u for me) service to my account and she confirmed that as long as I wasn't cancelling the services then the ECF would not apply.

Yeah, there really shouldn't be any penalties...because in effect you're really upgrading. But eh, reps do weird things and you hear different things from everyone you talk to.

It seems like some people were able to get the extra plus + HBO go(?) for the same price of violence? Damn I'm getting tempted especially gigabit is available at my place

Tmn GO is included with a sub to TMN channel (which itself is TMN + HBO). TMN GO is not offered separately

I think those posters were misinformed, as I read those getting TMN were paying 115, which makes total sense (99+15 ish for the add on)

RS4-

Yes, swapped VIP for Extra Plus with TMN (HBO is part of the TMN package). Same price. Sportsnet World was one option, forgot what the others were.

So you lose Disney channels but gain TMN. They've got 3 different prices for whatever reason (I didn't dig into it).

VIP Ultimate with TMN is 123.
TMN + HBO is 20. But one other page has it for 17.

Kitsune86

Neo Member
Ubisoft just released their $20 CDN Starter Edition of R6: Siege. Does anyone from the Canada thread even play this game?

*Also: Long time lurker, first time poster. Games journalist and indie dev. *Waves to everyone who has no clue who I am*

Tik-Tok

Just tried to call about the Rogers deal.
They said it's now restricted to 8 postal codes and mine isn't one of them (I'm in Kitchener.)

They offered me some nonsense with basic cable and shitty internet and home phone. I said NO NO NO NO NO. No thank you.

Ubisoft just released their $20 CDN Starter Edition of R6: Siege. Does anyone from the Canada thread even play this game?

*Also: Long time lurker, first time poster. Games journalist and indie dev. *Waves to everyone who has no clue who I am*

I play on console might pick up their struggle PC version as well. It's a great game.

Sajjaja

Hello. I played it quite a bit on release with a few friends/gaffers but then we all moved onto other games. Fun game, definitely worth a try.

Kitsune86

Neo Member
I play on console might pick up their struggle PC version as well. It's a great game.

Yeah I am interested in the PC version now that they've released a cost effective version, I did the same thing with BLOPS III MP and put like 40 hours in the week the starter pack released. I don't know if it'd call the PC version of R6 struggling - has 7K regular concurrent players BEFORE this $20 version came out.

Sajjaja

Yeah I am interested in the PC version now that they've released a cost effective version, I did the same thing with BLOPS III MP and put like 40 hours in the week the starter pack released. I don't know if it'd call the PC version of R6 struggling - has 7K regular concurrent players BEFORE this $20 version came out.

That 7K is only those who bought it on Steam btw. Including Uplay it's probably 50% more (I just pulled a figure out of the air, but it is certainly more.)

terrible

Banned

It'll take hundreds of hours to unlock everything with the starter edition. It should be Free to Play with how grindy it is. It's a great game but that's an awful deal imo.

Kitsune86

Neo Member
It'll take hundreds of hours to unlock everything with the starter edition. It should be Free to Play with how grindy it is. It's a great game but that's an awful deal imo.

BLOPS III Starter Edition did something similar with the unlock tokens at each level. Is R6 the type of game where you find yourself gravitating towards one or two favorite operators? If so, then I wouldn't mind

terrible

Banned
BLOPS III Starter Edition did something similar with the unlock tokens at each level. Is R6 the type of game where you find yourself gravitating towards one or two favorite operators? If so, then I wouldn't mind

I've used a bunch of different operators. I'd recommend just waiting for the full version to hit $30 on Steam or something instead. That's way better value.

Lexxism

Tmn GO is included with a sub to TMN channel (which itself is TMN + HBO). TMN GO is not offered separately

I think those posters were misinformed, as I read those getting TMN were paying 115, which makes total sense (99+15 ish for the add on)

Yes, swapped VIP for Extra Plus with TMN (HBO is part of the TMN package). Same price. Sportsnet World was one option, forgot what the others were.

So you lose Disney channels but gain TMN. They've got 3 different prices for whatever reason (I didn't dig into it).

VIP Ultimate with TMN is 123.
TMN + HBO is 20. But one other page has it for 17.
Ah, I see. Thanks! Will try to call later and see what they can offer.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Got an email from BB today about my RZ account.

Due to a recent technical glitch, you may have seen bonus points credited to your account. This was an error, but as a thank you for being a valued Reward Zone member, we're letting you keep the points that were given.
Thanks for the $20 worth of free RZ points. :)

i-Jest

Please anyone who pre-orders off Amazon don't spend the next 18 months whining about their shipping

You know what you're getting in for

For this reason, I'm pre-ordering everything with Best Buy

All of this. All of freaking this. I can ignore shipping GAF normally but Amazon shipping bitching can get rather eye rolling at times.

Anyone recall the cheapest the gold wireless ps4 headset has been. Tempted to pick up a headset cause only headphones I have are cheapish in ear ones.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Anyone recall the cheapest the gold wireless ps4 headset has been. Tempted to pick up a headset cause only headphones I have are cheapish in ear ones.
If you can find other options, I would recommend it since they are guaranteed to break eventually. That said, if you epoxy the weak points they will hold - they will just look like crap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom