• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 7: More Shipping Talk than Anime & TV GAF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rogers tech just called me to tell me he has no modems. Not my fucking problem. I disconnected my Teksavvy today because I was expecting Rogers to install Internet. Don't call me at the last minute to tell me you don't have what you need.

Rogers tech just called me to tell me he has no modems. Not my fucking problem. I disconnected my Teksavvy today because I was expecting Rogers to install Internet. Don't call me at the last minute to tell me you don't have what you need.

Call tech support to see if you can self install (assuming a store near you has the modem available for pick up). My understanding is they can put in a work order that activates once a pickup is made.

Weird that they needed a tech install to begin with given that you already had tek cable?

I didn't get gigabit, but I got Ignite 100, put the modem in bridge mode but it isn't working with my router =/

I'm just gonna use the modem as the router for now, so strange that the router wasn't getting DHCP settings from the modem in bridge mode, maybe my router doesn't support newer modems *shrug*

UberTag

Man, hearing all of the Rogers-induced anxiety in this thread, I'm almost grateful they denied to even offer me their Gigabit deal.

kennah

House buying is fucking stressful.

House buying in a province you don't live in, don't speak the language, and don't have a job. Beyond fucking stressful.

RS4-

House buying is fucking stressful.

House buying in a province you don't live in, don't speak the language, and don't have a job. Beyond fucking stressful.

Moving to Quebec does that.

Man, why Rogers techs in my area gotta take 2 weeks to do shit.

Canon

Banned
I paid my credit card off in full earlier today and my "Available credit" went back up to the full amount -- however now it shows it's $77 less, even though I already paid off that purchase. Should I be concerned or what?

I always pay with PayPal (which doesn't show I was double charged or anything), so I don't think someone could've gotten my number.

Sajjaja

I paid my credit card off in full earlier today and my "Available credit" went back up to the full amount -- however now it shows it's $77 less, even though I already paid off that purchase. Should I be concerned or what?

I always pay with PayPal (which doesn't show I was double charged or anything), so I don't think someone could've gotten my number.

Your balance shows $77 less or available credit? It could just be the system acting weird, which does happen from time to time though not often.

Man, hearing all of the Rogers-induced anxiety in this thread, I'm almost grateful they denied to even offer me their Gigabit deal.

My response to all the Rogers complaints is HOW DID YOU PEOPLE NOT KNOW and WHAT DID YOU EXPECT. I'll do whatever I can (within reason) to avoid giving the big 3 telcos money. Unfortunately, right now that means giving money to Rogers via Teksavvy, which sucks, but it's not like I can run everything off a cell connection and my only other option is Bell Fibe. I'll consider switching once Teksavvy gets access to FTTH lines.

At least my cellphone money is going to a smaller telco! (thanks, Shaw acquisition of Wind, sigh)

Canon

Banned
Your balance shows $77 less or available credit? It could just be the system acting weird, which does happen from time to time though not often.
My balance shows -77 but my available credit is 77 less than the maximum. Just hours earlier it was at max when I made a payment but now it went down to this amount which matches an earlier purchase I paid off already. There are no pending transactions I can see from my end.

It's tangerine

UberTag

My response to all the Rogers complaints is HOW DID YOU PEOPLE NOT KNOW and WHAT DID YOU EXPECT. I'll do whatever I can (within reason) to avoid giving the big 3 telcos money. Unfortunately, right now that means giving money to Rogers via Teksavvy, which sucks, but it's not like I can run everything off a cell connection and my only other option is Bell Fibe. I'll consider switching once Teksavvy gets access to FTTH lines.
I take it there's no ETA on Teksavvy getting access to fibre, right? I imagine the Big 3 are throwing as many roadblocks up as possible to prevent that from happening.

I take it there's no ETA on Teksavvy getting access to fibre, right? I imagine the Big 3 are throwing as many roadblocks up as possible to prevent that from happening.

The CRTC affirmed that fiber providers need to share their networks with independent ISPs back in July of last year. Bell has since appealed. I know Toronto city council came out in support of independent ISPs (which is hilarious because John Tory is a former Rogers man and was not happy about it). All that said, I don't know what the timeline for implementation is and the CRTC first needs to decide what charges will apply to fiber-network access, similar to how ISPs currently have to pay Bell, Rogers, etc. for access to their coax/copper networks. So it could be a year or more out.

theRizzle

A little something for my late-night/west coast folks

WHOEVER WINS KEEP TALKING AND NOBODY EXPLODES: The key you're gonna get is fake. I have to pick from a menu on the site, so just let me know in a PM which one you want and I'll get you the key.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys and 3 other items. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- This is a giveaway for the thread url: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1187123.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (theRizzle, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker--if you have both fewer than five posts in this thread--you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

xWBm0BY.png
The Division: 100 Recon Points (uPlay) -- MB-E49A13181D2A5845 - Taken by -Deimos. 1 entrants total.
Her Story -- MB-3236BE6F4FD19881 - Taken by Sealtest. 1 entrants total.
Dungeon of the Endless: Crystal Pack -- MB-127609F3A47FF041 - Taken by Ventara. 1 entrants total.
xWBm0BY.png
Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon (uPlay) -- MB-F9BFCA50BC894D61 - Taken by i-Jest. 1 entrants total.
Keep Talking And Nobody Explodes: STEAM OR OCULUS VERSION, YOUR CHOICE -- MB-105FB93906CBCAAE - Taken by kennah. 1 entrants total.
xWBm0BY.png
Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory (uPlay) -- MB-A89AF20F4BA7AA98 - Taken by doctorcdcs. 2 entrants total.

t1465039992z1.png

I also have these two codes, which I am pretty sure aren't used since the date I got them in a Humble Bundle is a couple weeks after I purchased both games according to Steam, but I'm not sure enough to put them in the giveaway above in case someone feels cheated. So here's two more keys that may be used but probably (hopefully!) aren't. Quote to see as usual.

Gods Will Be Watching -
Not A Hero -

Lexxism

Any recommendation for a good iphone bike mount? I'm currently looking but I don't know which one to pick. Thanks

Currently using a digicam bag + belt to carry the phone lol

Megasoum

Banned
Anybody here has experience with cancelling a pre-order on Memory Express?

Like many of you know, I have a 1080 FTW card on pre-order right now and that's fine but I'm starting to think about maybe pre-ordering a different card on NCIX which might be coming out earlier.

There's obviously a risk of pre-ordering at two places at the same time... I don't want to end -up with 2 cards lol. I don't see a cancel button so I assume I would need to contact them.

Anybody here has experience with cancelling a pre-order on Memory Express?

Like many of you know, I have a 1080 FTW card on pre-order right now and that's fine but I'm starting to think about maybe pre-ordering a different card on NCIX which might be coming out earlier.

There's obviously a risk of pre-ordering at two places at the same time... I don't want to end -up with 2 cards lol. I don't see a cancel button so I assume I would need to contact them.

You will have been stalked for nothing man! All that for nothing... At least you might have made someone happy! ;)

Megasoum

Banned
You will have been stalked for nothing man! All that for nothing... At least you might have made someone happy! ;)

Haha yeah I know!!!! But whatever, in the end the important part is that I get my card as quickly as possible! Also I was totally planning on scraping that credit card after that purchase anyway (not related to what happened with Memory Express... I've been thinking about changing bank for a while now and I'm just waiting on that transaction to go through).

Btw I did end up pre-ordering this card lol

Also, quoting one of my previous post cause I'm still trying to find out about this...

So guys, noob question about cell phones...

I'm with Videotron right now using a MotoX Play that seriously suck (the model is fine but my phone keeps crashing and Videotron won't replace it cause they can't reproduce the intermitent issue in store...).

My brother in law offered me his old Bell iPhone 6.

So could I use it? I assume it needs to be unlocked?

How does that work with my contract since I still have over a year to go with my MotoX? I just keep paying for the MotoX for the rest of the contract like nothing has changed unless I want to pay the 230$ balance?

Thanks

Oh joy of joys, does anyone know what 'fulfillment center PHX6" is? Apparently this center has been aggressively shitting itself so none of the orders that were supposed to go out will be going out until late Sunday.

If your stuff normally ships on a friday and it didn't give amazon a jingle. No Mirrors edge for me :/

I'm due for a new phone, and can upgrade through Virgin. However, I want to shop around and find a plan with more data. Paying $40 plus tax (it somehow comes to over $50/month) for just 500mb of data is a ripoff.

I want unlimited, or at least a plan where I don't have to pay for overages or worry about shutting my data off. If it slows down after the limit, that's fine.

Sealtest

Deal?

So some crazy cheap copies of uncharted 4 and uncharted collection popped up on ebay for $12.99 US each. Ships from hong kong but promises genuine NA copies. This first popped up on redflagdeals but i'm taking the chance and buying atleast Uncharted 4 in the hopes that they might be legit copies.

Worst case I'll get my money back from paypal if something goes wrong.

http://www.ebay.ca/sch/369derek/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=&rmvSB=true

Edit - Can only buy 1 within a 10 day period per account.

Ventara

Deal?

So some crazy cheap copies of uncharted 4 and uncharted collection popped up on ebay for $12.99 US each. Ships from hong kong but promises genuine NA copies. This first popped up on redflagdeals but i'm taking the chance and buying atleast Uncharted 4 in the hopes that they might be legit copies.

Worse case I'll get my money back from paypal if something goes wrong.

Can't seem to buy both, as there seems to be a buy limit of 1 item from seller per 10 days, so I went with UC4. As you said, worst case scenario, I can just get refunded.

krae_man

Deal?

Wonder if these are the stolen copies?

c-murph

Deal?

Sketch?

Deal?

oh gosh, i bought one. I'm really hoping I don't get burned on this.

Lexxism

Smartphone Plans Deal

Fido (Virgin Mobile) BYOD only. Till June 6th

For the rest of Canada except QC, MB, SK
$40 - 1GB, 500 minutes
$50 - 2GB, 500 minutes

QC only
$40 - 2GB, 500 minutes
$60 - 5GB, 500 minutes

killroy87

Smartphone Plans Deal

Fido (Virgin Mobile) BYOD only. Till June 6th

For the rest of Canada except QC, MB, SK
$40 - 1GB, 500 minutes
$50 - 2GB, 500 minutes

QC only
$40 - 2GB, 500 minutes
$60 - 5GB, 500 minutes

Man, these 1-2GB plans are a massive middle finger to customers. They know damn well that won't be enough for most people.

I've never gone over my 500mb per month, but I've come close. I could have done so easily, I guess, if I hadn't of turned the data off. It's very restrictive.

I think I hit 10gbs one month but MTS in Manitoba offers unlimited data (which will most likely go away when Bell. Buys them). Since it's unlimited I rarely pay attention to using it and I think that month my Internet/TV was down a couple days so I was streaming jets games on it.

big_z

Man, these 1-2GB plans are a massive middle finger to customers. They know damn well that won't be enough for most people.

it used to be that way with texts. data is the new money maker.

so happy I got my $48 unlimited/5GB koodo plan when I did. imo the plan I have should be $40/month and available to everyone.... but this is Canada.

bryt

Deal?

Yo what!? I'm buying both. Nvm didn't see you can only buy 1 per 10 day.

I'm due for a new phone, and can upgrade through Virgin. However, I want to shop around and find a plan with more data. Paying $40 plus tax (it somehow comes to over $50/month) for just 500mb of data is a ripoff.

I want unlimited, or at least a plan where I don't have to pay for overages or worry about shutting my data off. If it slows down after the limit, that's fine.

You want a free phone (particularly iPhone) and unlimited data for $40 in Ontario on a big 3 network? Unfortunately thats a difficult to find price.

You may want to check/ask on RFD but i don't think you will find anything even close to these specifications. Last summer after lengthy research i found a free 5s plus 1gb monthly for $55 for an elder relative.

Lexxism

There are only 2 carriers that provides unlimited data. Wind and Chatr. Both have the $40 + tax.

Lexxism

And Wind is terrible. I don't know about Chartr.
Just do yourself a favour and get the $48 5Gb Koodo Maniboa Plan.
They are running on Rogers network. So, the call coverage should be okay. The data on the other hand....... 3G on 1GB and 2G on the rest :jnc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom