• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 7: More Shipping Talk than Anime & TV GAF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tapejara

Lmfao, 30x Reward Zone points? This does not make me optimistic for Amazon's promo if they don't have to compete with Best Buy on %off deals.

Clive

If Amazon went 20% off they would still come out looking good in comparison. They did surprise us last year though.

20% off $80 is $16 though whereas Best Buy is offering $25 off (in crummy reward bonuses). I'll take Best Buy's offer over this. It's $9 better (arguably) and with 10+ games it adds up.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
@ Best Buy

tumblr_m5uoyl5CGM1rtiapso1_400.gif

If you're buying an $80 dollar game, you're not getting more than $25-$30 in certificates. Every dollar spent gets you 1 point. 400 points = $5. Technically, 30x points (roughly 31-37% off an $80 game) is better than 30% off, but you don't really get your money back as you're forced to spend it again in a brick-and-mortar store. Your points are also locked for 36 days after shipping before a certificate is issued, and you need to use your certificates within 6 months.

If BB Canada's website wasn't terrible and accepted certificates, this might have been an ok deal. Now Amazon will make big money if they play their cards right as usual.

$1 = 1 RZ point (double with Gamer's club, but I guess it doesn't apply here)
$80 = 80 RZ points x30 = 2400
2400/400 = 6x5 = $30

$80 + tax = $89.6
30/89.6 = 33.48%

Dazzler

what an awful deal from Best Buy

With amazon shipping the shambles it currently is, I guess I won't be pre-ordering anything

I'll wait for price drops

Burgers

Neo Member
I don't know why but I figured Bestbuy would do the E3 deal again for sure. Guess it was great while it lasted.

Points don't do much for me

killroy87

Best Buy deal isn't the worst, the value of some that is actually pretty decent. Still, I wouldn't want to do that for games that are more than a year off, mostly because I'm not confident in how much longer Best Buy will still be around.

Plus it sucks because reward zone certificates can't be used online, so I can't even put the ones I earn towards future purposes. Almost all of my business at best Buy goes towards preordering game,s so reward zone money is useless.

Having said that, the value of what you get isn't that terrible, so if Amazon screws the pooch, you could do worse.

kevin1025

Banned
The thing that makes me nervous about this is if Best Buy doesn't have true pre-order discounts, Amazon might flat out not do them this year. If the competition isn't doing it, they might not have reason to do it, either.

Or, best case scenario, lock it behind Prime and make it 10-20%, which isn't so hot, either.

killroy87

They could use it to launch a 20% Prime discount all year round.

my penis moved at the thought of it. don't tease me. i love me some 30% off, but i would much rather have 20% off year-round. between the games i decide to get later down the road, or the games announced outside of the E3 timeframe, it would more than make up for it.

God, i'd actually be able to get a discount on NX launch titles....

zroid

Banned
If 30% off ends I will honestly just stop buying games. I don't even play games to begin with anymore, so the only impetus I have for buying them is to get that pre-order deal. (I know this doesn't make sense but psychology is weird).

kevin1025

Banned
my penis moved at the thought of it. don't tease me. i love me some 30% off, but i would much rather have 20% off year-round. between the games i decide to get later down the road, or the games announced outside of the E3 timeframe, it would more than make up for it.

God, i'd actually be able to get a discount on NX launch titles....

What if...

Games coming out in November have the 20% discount two weeks after launch just like the US Prime has, and then also has Black Friday discounts...

That sounds too good to be true.

NYR

Everyone is putting too much faith in Amazon in my opinion. Now that they really don't need to compete with anyone, I really can't see them giving 30% off.

Lmfao, 30x Reward Zone points? This does not make me optimistic for Amazon's promo if they don't have to compete with Best Buy on %off deals.

They didn't have to do 30% last year when Best Buy was doing 20% and doing stupid coupon codes to limit the number of games to get discounts on, but they still did it.

4YC5jrj.png

NYR

Bestbuy just put Amazon in a very favourable position here. The only thing Amazon can do to fuck it up is have E3 promos be 20% off and/or make it a Prime exlusive deal.

Prime would be a great deal and you can use it for everything else plus get a wicked discount. I actually hope it is only prime only so we don't need to hear people whine about waiting a week to get a game in the mail, people should be getting Prime to ensure gameday delivery AND being able to use it on almost anything else on Amazon.

killroy87

We can't realistically be that angry at Best Buy. videogames have minuscule markup, so selling them, at 30% off is absolutely losing money on them. Amazon can afford to do this because of all the other stuff they sell. Best Buy, as we all know, hasn't exactly been in the best financial situation over the past few years, so this allows them to offer 30% off while making it so that customers have to come back and spend more. It's a pain, I agree, but I get it. If you cared that much, you could just use the codes from the first batch of games to pay for the second batch, and keep daisy chaining them like that.

Damn BB, I still have $20 certificate sitting in my account waiting for me to move my ass away from my chair and drive the store, now you want to give me more point instead of actual discount?

Amazon pls.

Firestorm

Good thing my Prime trial lasts until a week or two after E3. Hopefully Amazon pulls through =/ If shipping gets awful I'll buy at Best Buy and return the Amazon copy. If Best Buy actually puts up the 30% promo I'll get everything there as usual.

killroy87

Good thing my Prime trial lasts until a week or two after E3. Hopefully Amazon pulls through =/ If shipping gets awful I'll buy at Best Buy and return the Amazon copy. If Best Buy actually puts up the 30% promo I'll get everything there as usual.

Yup. Ball's in Amazon's court. they can be the good guys like last year, or really fuck us over haha.

NYR

We can't realistically be that angry at Best Buy. videogames have minuscule markup, so selling them, at 30% off is absolutely losing money on them.

False. I know employees and execs at Best Buy and have benefited from employee discounts on games. They use these promos to buy in bulk to lower the cost of the units and while the margins are small, trust me, they are NOT doing these deals at a loss or to hold onto market share. Based on your logic, a game should NEVER go on sale at Best Buy. They may only make $1 or $2 a game through this deal, but sell a million and that is $2 mill in profit and hundreds of millions in revenue.

The reason why these discounts suck and why Boxing Day sales are lame now is because they are not making as much money anymore on anything else, the market is moving away from brick and mortar because they are live showrooms for stuff you buy for cheaper online. It is actually great marketing to give gift certificates that can only be spent in their store.

Tapejara

They didn't have to do 30% last year when Best Buy was doing 20% and doing stupid coupon codes to limit the number of games to get discounts on, but they still did it.

True. But I think that 20% off pre-orders provided significantly more competition than this current promotion does. We'll see what happens, I guess.

i-Jest

Prime would be a great deal and you can use it for everything else plus get a wicked discount. I actually hope it is only prime only so we don't need to hear people whine about waiting a week to get a game in the mail, people should be getting Prime to ensure gameday delivery AND being able to use it on almost anything else on Amazon.

That's nice for people that do a lot of shopping on Amazon, I'm no such person though. I don't see why I should opt in for an $80 Prime membership when I'm not a frequent shopper. I did a free trial back when they were advertising Prime Day, and from what I remember the deals weren't that hot and some were getting late shipments. People will find a way to bitch about shipping regardless.

NYR

That's nice for people that do a lot of shopping on Amazon, I'm no such person though. I don't see why I should opt in for an $80 Prime membership when I'm not a frequent shopper. I did a free trial back when they were advertising Prime Day, and from what I remember the deals weren't that hot and some were getting late shipments. People will find a way to batch about shipping regardless.

I've been using Amazon for over a year and a result of the E3 deals - trust me, most anything you normally would buy can be found on Amazon and it is only getting better for Canada.

And yes, Prime day sucks now, but it got too big. :(

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Anyone know what the trade-in value for a Wii U pro controller is at EB?

Just turned my Wii U on and I have the problem where the stick keeps registering as pressing down. EB gave me $30 for an XB1 controller so hope it similar.

Anyone know what the trade-in value for a Wii U pro controller is at EB?

Just turned my Wii U on and I have the problem where the stick keeps registering as pressing down. EB gave me $30 for an XB1 controller so hope it similar.

Turn off your controller, then turn it back on, don't touch the stick. Or hold down A, B, + and - button for at least 3 seconds to recalibrate.

Trogdor1123

Bestbuy's promo wouldn't be too bad if the points tworke online and with gamers club. I'd be all for that. But like this, not so much...

NYR

From RFD: BestBuy E3 Promotion: Get 30X Reward Zone Points (~25$ for a 80$ game)

Looks like RFD was wrong.

BEST BUY E3

It is 25x Reward Zone Points and 10x Reward Zone Points after E3.

25x - June 10 - June 16
10x - June 17 - December 31

0KqC9TX.jpg

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Turn off your controller, then turn it back on, don't touch the stick. Or hold down A, B, + and - button for at least 3 seconds to recalibrate.

That did it. Thank you so much for the help!

Is it wise to sign up for the Prime trial right before E3 starts? Will all my pre-orders get Prime shipping even if I cancel after the trial ends?

$1 = 1 RZ point
$80 = 80 RZ points x25 = 2000
2000/400 = 5x5 = $25

$80 + tax = $89.6
25/89.6 = 27.9%

It's not too bad but it would be a pain to pre-order half the games you want and then go buy the other ones in store.

You also need to properly time yourself to ensure that your points are still active for every in store purchases.

Oh and I'm also not confident in Best Buy's future in Canada...

Quick

Banned
Fingers crossed for Amazon, hell even if they lock 30% off behind a Prime account that is still better.

We should use our Prime referral codes to get some money back on each end.

For real, I've thought about starting a thread for this, but response has been nonexistent. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom