• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 7: More Shipping Talk than Anime & TV GAF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
It's not too bad but it would be a pain to pre-order half the games you want and then go buy the other ones in store.

You also need to properly time yourself to ensure that your points are still active for every in store purchases.

Oh and I'm also not confident in Best Buy's future in Canada...

You said it. With the way they run their stores and website, I don't see them being around in 2018. They have literally done nothing to improve their technology or services in the past 10 years. Whereas stores like Shoppers have come so far with their Optimum program and even dedicated app, Best Buy has not changed one single thing about how they operate. Its like Futureshop all over again, the writing is on the wall. It isn't a coincidence that every time you go into Best Buy they're always downsizing be it the gaming section, the blu-ray section, etc.

These certificates can only be used in store and expire in 180 days (6 months) from issue. So that makes it even worse since you're already pre-ordering all the games that are coming out in the next year, promo in 6 months is useless.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
These certificates can only be used in store and expire in 180 days (6 months) from issue. So that makes it even worse since you're already pre-ordering all the games that are coming out in the next year, promo in 6 months is useless.

Keep in mind the certificates are issued 30+ days after the game is shipped to you.

Just a terrible promo all around considering it revolves around a terrible reward system.

Gitaroo

what I did before (not on purpose) is buy something with those points, anything then return the item, they will give you a giftcard.

Bronetta

what I did before (not on purpose) is buy something with those points, anything then return the item, they will give you a giftcard.

Couldn't you just use the points to buy gift cards directly?

iphys

$1 = 1 RZ point
$80 = 80 RZ points x25 = 2000
2000/400 = 5x5 = $25

$80 + tax = $89.6
25/89.6 = 27.9%

Except you have to make a second purchase to see any savings, so in totality it's more like

$105 + tax = 120.75
25/120.75 = 20.7%

And that's assuming you manage to find something exactly $25 to use the certificate on. Realistically you're probably going to end up spending even more money to find something you remotely want.

vader.jpg

Canada E3 Deals 2016 |OT| 30x better than last year

If Amazon doesn't come through with deals, that thread won't exist. Or else it'll be filled with people mourning the death of video games in Canada.

If you're buying an $80 dollar game, you're not getting more than $25-$30 in certificates. Every dollar spent gets you 1 point. 400 points = $5. Technically, 30x points (roughly 31-37% off an $80 game) is better than 30% off, but you don't really get your money back as you're forced to spend it again in a brick-and-mortar store. Your points are also locked for 36 days after shipping before a certificate is issued, and you need to use your certificates within 6 months.

If BB Canada's website wasn't terrible and accepted certificates, this might have been an ok deal. Now Amazon will make big money if they play their cards right as usual.

Everyone's math on this is wrong. Yes, you get $30 back from your $80 purchase, but you can't use that $30 on that purchase; you have to spend it on something else that's $30. So at best, your actual discount is something like $30/$110 = 27% IF you find something that's exactly the value of your certificates. Plus, you have to wait 36 days before you get the certificates based on the points you earned, so you can't even use those certificates towards the same E3 promo.

(EDIT: So is mine, apparently! I forgot tax. But you get the idea.)

Best Buy did an E3 promo like this a few years back (1600 points on any $60+ game if I remember correctly). That was the year everyone bought from Future Shop instead because they took a straight 33% off everything.

We can't realistically be that angry at Best Buy. videogames have minuscule markup, so selling them, at 30% off is absolutely losing money on them. Amazon can afford to do this because of all the other stuff they sell. Best Buy, as we all know, hasn't exactly been in the best financial situation over the past few years, so this allows them to offer 30% off while making it so that customers have to come back and spend more. It's a pain, I agree, but I get it. If you cared that much, you could just use the codes from the first batch of games to pay for the second batch, and keep daisy chaining them like that.

Sure, and if Best Buy was some local mom and pop shop, I'd be far more inclined to cut them some slack on this. But Best Buy is no VGP, they're just another faceless American corporation. About the only argument that carries water with me is if Best Buy treated their warehouse workers better than Amazon does, but I have no real way to know if they do or not. So if Amazon beats Best Buy in discounts, guess who I'm going with?

And as I mentioned before, you can't daisy-chain the certificates. You have to wait 36 days after earning the points to get a certificate, by which point this promo will be long gone.

Everyone's math on this is wrong. Yes, you get $30 back from your $80 purchase, but you can't use that $30 on that purchase; you have to spend it on something else that's $30.
This is my biggest issue. I'll be pre-ordering games that I really want, but Best Buy's "retailer bonus" won't have any sort of affect on those purchases. It's not like a sale either, where I can just price match to get the discount and RZ points. I'd much rather have discounts applied immediately to my current purchase.

kevin1025

Banned
And as I mentioned before, you can't daisy-chain the certificates. You have to wait 36 days after earning the points to get a certificate, by which point this promo will be long gone.

That's the worst part. By the time you get the certificate going from an October game, it is potentially late November or December before you could put it down on another game for a discount. Boo to that.

killroy87

That's the worst part. By the time you get the certificate going from an October game, it is potentially late November or December before you could put it down on another game for a discount. Boo to that.

I can only speak for the heavy pre-order people (of which I am one), but once the vouchers start coming in, it will probably be pretty steady. So when I get a game in september, I'll get the codes sometime in october and can use those against one of my october preorders (you just return the game, and buy it again with the codes applied). That cycle should be able to continue pretty steadily.

Make no mistake, it's a pain in the ass, but it does technically get you some discounted games.

EDIT: Never mind, I just remembered why that won't work. Don't mind me.

killroy87

You guys are making me worry with all this Amazon talk. If they don't do anything this year I'm gonna freak out.

Lol, we'll all be fine.

Not gonna lie, there's a small part of me that wouldn't hate if Amazon didn't have anything. It would just mean I buy fewer games, and play the ones I get more. I buy wayyyyy too many games as it.

The waiting time is obviously to prevent returns while keeping the points.

You can use the points on PSN/eShop/XBL points, Steam cards, etc.

kevin1025

Banned
I can only speak for the heavy pre-order people (of which I am one), but once the vouchers start coming in, it will probably be pretty steady. So when I get a game in september, I'll get the codes sometime in october and can use those against one of my october preorders (you just return the game, and buy it again with the codes applied). That cycle should be able to continue pretty steadily.

Make no mistake, it's a pain in the ass, but it does technically get you some discounted games.

That doesn't sound so bad, then. I guess it would only be unfortunate for the November games' points, but then again there are some pretty heavy hitters coming early in the year, so maybe not!

No_Style

Damn the points. But what is more troubling is the potential shift to Amazon.ca and this thread becoming unbearable again at each major launch.

trebbble

Very disappointing Best Buy. C'mon Amazon!

I don't know what I’m gonna do if I can’t get discounted games... other than buying less games of course :)

These pre-order deals have been such a benefit since the dollar has risen. I really hope they stick around.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I never understood most shipping complaints. Do you people not have Prime?

Nope. I am salty that my release day / day after free shipping is now 'expect it a week late for no apparent reason' since they've been pushing Prime. Never had an issue with free shipping, even after Prime, until last year when everything mysteriously started being delayed.

My E3 preorders will probably be a lot more tame this year, even if they offer 30% off.

Clov

Assuming we get a similar deal to last year, would the steelbook version of Persona 5 count as a "special edition" and not apply for discounts? Debating whether or not I want the standard or the steelbook...

Nope. I am salty that my release day / day after free shipping is now 'expect it a week late for no apparent reason' since they've been pushing Prime. Never had an issue with free shipping, even after Prime, until last year when everything mysteriously started being delayed.

My E3 preorders will probably be a lot more tame this year, even if they offer 30% off.

Even with prime they do that to me sometimes, it's weird. I'm not getting my Guilty Gear Xrd order until Friday for no apparent reason too! I've had other games not ship until thursday/friday the week that they release while simultaneously being in stock, too.

killroy87

To play devil's advocate for a second, if the free shipping is offering the same results as their paid option, I'd hold back the free orders too :p

It's when the actual Prime orders come late that I get angry. I can't justifiably be pissed when my free shipping takes some time, but I damn well can when the service I pay for doesn't deliver.

NYR

Is it wise to sign up for the Prime trial right before E3 starts? Will all my pre-orders get Prime shipping even if I cancel after the trial ends?
I did this last year. Games still coming via prime. Do it, but don't think it matters if you wait a few days as well. Better safe than sorry if they try locking it down for some silly reason.

NYR

Damn the points. But what is more troubling is the potential shift to Amazon.ca and this thread becoming unbearable again at each major launch.
Preach! People complaining their ridiculously cheap game took longer to ship but won't spend any of the savings on better shipping.

DJ_Lae

Not gonna lie, there's a small part of me that wouldn't hate if Amazon didn't have anything. It would just mean I buy fewer games, and play the ones I get more. I buy wayyyyy too many games as it.

I'm with you here - I still have backlogged stuff from last year that I haven't opened and preorders that I made last year that are yet to come.

Other than Persona 5 there's nothing that I absolutely must have, though I suppose we'll see what E3 brings.

I sure hope Amazon is bringing an offer. Last year, multiple CS representatives told me that they heard of none even when the US one (20% for 3games, 30% for more on the same order) was already announced.

And with the delay in adding new announced games lately, I fear that a lot of E3 games might not be on the store even if they had an offer :(.

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
...well, fuck. With the lack of discounts (I sincerely think Amazon won't bother if they don't have to compete with BB) and Nintendo's minimal presence this year, my hype for this year's E3 dropped all of a sudden...

NYR

I sure hope Amazon is bringing an offer. Last year, multiple CS representatives told me that they heard of none even when the US one (20% for 3games, 30% for more on the same order) was already announced.

And with the delay in adding new announced games lately, I fear that a lot of E3 games might not be on the store even if they had an offer :(.
Adding games wasn't a problem last year and you can always do multiple orders or even a completely revised order at the end of e3 and cancel all other orders you did leading up to it. Only ones that took forever was Last Guardian and FF7 remaster but they were there by the end.

Luigi87

That's true.

I've never minded ShippingGAF talk, but it gets to point ridiculous when it has been stated numerous times, during every event and including the thread's OP that Amazon is slower to ship, and will even hold back close together orders to ship them together, but people ignore this.

Vibranium

Banned
Heh, figures Best Buy would screw it up even worse this year. I hope Amazon comes through, though I don't see me getting many PS4 games (Spidey and Crash if they exist and are good I guess).

Amazon has the chance to badly beat Best Buy here.

The waiting time is obviously to prevent returns while keeping the points.

You can use the points on PSN/eShop/XBL points, Steam cards, etc.

Oh, I get why the waiting period exists, and I don't have a problem with that policy. It's just that it's an additional restriction on the discount that didn't exist last year, so it's that much harder to use.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
This isn't the first time BB has done the RZ points for an E3 preorder, we all just ignored it that year because FS did 33% off.

MarkusRJR

WTF @ Best Buy's E3 deal. I literally didn't even know there was a points program at Best Buy. Amazon better have normal E3 deals or I'm just going to not buy any games this year. E3 deals were my only excuse to pre-order games, since I don't have enough time to play games as is.

Vibranium

Banned

Yeah, I don't care about getting games day 1 so online orders have never been a problem for me. People should know what to expect by now.

ohlawd

Looks like RFD was wrong.

BEST BUY E3

It is 25x Reward Zone Points and 10x Reward Zone Points after E3.

25x - June 10 - June 16
10x - June 17 - December 31

0KqC9TX.jpg
fucking hell.

k man let's see if I can get my six month Prime trial on Amazon since I'm a college student

bryt

I think this will be a great year to work on my backlog if Amazon doesn't do anything. Other than Persona 5 which I already preordered the special edition for, there's no other game where I can't wait until it goes on a deep discount to play.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom