• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 7: More Shipping Talk than Anime & TV GAF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyolux

Well now I'm paranoid about whoever Amazon.ca is using now. Wondering if there was a way to have the delivery be signed for at the door.

I heard two light knocks on my door, ran straight for it, package was just on the floor with no delivery person. I hate the idea that someone could have just walked by and taken it in an apartment building if I needed to be out today. For the sake of my sanity, I would have preferred the Canada Post "two hours later, but safely in my mailbox" or even the Purolator "fake a delivery attempt, pick it up five hours later from the post office."

Heh, might be a neigborhood thing, but I like that Canada Post leaves my amazon stuff at my door/in my mailbox. Less a fan of the balancing on my fence's door though some will do with huge packages. Like come on, I know there's a dog sign on the mailbox.. but you'd know if he was outside. Just open the door and put it in my yard. (My fence is on my front yard)

Firestorm

What's my best option for something cheap to watch Netflix on? A friend gave me her account details and my laptop is too old to stream HD video.
Chromecast: http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/google-google-chromecast-ga3a00097-a03-z01/10392133.aspx

Cheaper than a controller ;)

Super nice to have around as long as you have an iPhone or Android. You hit the Chromecast button in the app and it starts playing it off the device and doesn't even use your phone's power to run it anymore. My top four most used apps in order are Plex, Netflix, Twitch, and YouTube.

Edit: You'll need WiFi access in the room you're in obviously.

zroid

Banned
Why must Bestbuy.ca's discount system be so obtuse?

They can't just drop the price of an item you're purchased, they have to charge your card for the full amount and then refund the difference days later

still waiting for the refund on my TMS to be processed...

Kyolux

Why must Bestbuy.ca's discount system be so obtuse?

They can't just drop the price of an item you're purchased, they have to charge your card for the full amount and then refund the difference days later

still waiting for the refund on my TMS to be processed...

Weird, never had that happen to me with them.

kennah

Chromecast: http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/google-google-chromecast-ga3a00097-a03-z01/10392133.aspx

Super nice to have around as long as you have an iPhone or Android. You hit the Chromecast button in the app and it starts playing it off the device and doesn't even use your phone's power to run it anymore. My top four most used apps in order are Plex, Netflix, Twitch, and YouTube.

This is the correct answer.

Going to co-sign on this one also.

Firestorm

help why is this in past tense what did they do to my package

zYCsJIG.png

rip

khaaan

Mine is delivered too :D (albeit without the past tense)

I think this is the first time I've gotten a package on launch day from Amazon. Now I have to decide whether or not I want to spend the next couple days fighting through the end of FFX (I just got the airship and am heading into the final gauntlet of bosses) or if I should just put it away. I know if I stop now I'll never come back to it.

Kyolux

I have a Delivery attempt notice from Canada Post. But I have no idea what it could be.

Maybe the Staples cr didn't really cancel my order? I wonder... My order did say canceled..

Guess I'll know tomorrow afternoon.

I have a Delivery attempt notice from Canada Post. But I have no idea what it could be.

Maybe the Staples cr didn't really cancel my order? I wonder... My order did say canceled..

Guess I'll know tomorrow afternoon.

Mine says Out for Delivery on the Staples page despite the fact that UPS still has it at the sort facility.

Shipping has gone bonkers this week.

Kyolux

Mine says Out for Delivery on the Staples page despite the fact that UPS still has it at the sort facility.

Shipping has gone bonkers this week.

Looking at the order #.. it still says canceled.

Edit: Credit Card wasn't charged either for it.

So ???.. Anyone wants to take bets/guess at what it is? Lol..

Faenix1

Maybe consider ordering a 64gb card from Japan? It will probably be more expensive but you will have double the space.

The import fees are what stops me from importing. Some guy is selling 64s for $120-something Canadian with free shipping. Import fees would probably murder that deal tho.

Are there are knockoff Vita Memory cards?

Don't specifically look for cards look for used vitas. check your local fb groups for an electronics sales group and kijiji. I see vitas with 16-32 gb cards sell for anywhere from 100-140. if you message a seller you may be able to snag just the card for cheap and if not can always sell the vita with like a 4gb card and get like 75 back

Sounds like a lot of effort but I'll try some of those deal facebook groups. Maybe someone has a couple vita cards and will sell me a 32 cheap.

khaaan

I'm not guaranteeing anything but I ordered a 64 gig Vita card from Nippon Yasan and was not hit with import fees. The extra space feels so good (until you fill it all up again).

farisr

zYCsJIG.png

rip
Don't worry yet, I've seen this happen before with my packages. Usually shows up later on in the day, or at most the next day.

I reckon it's probably the delivery guys/drivers have to fill a quota by a certain period of time and scan them as delivered earlier than they actually deliver it or something.

kingwingin

The import fees are what stops me from importing. Some guy is selling 64s for $120-something Canadian with free shipping. Import fees would probably murder that deal tho.

Are there are knockoff Vita Memory cards?

Sounds like a lot of effort but I'll try some of those deal facebook groups. Maybe someone has a couple vita cards and will sell me a 32 cheap.
i got a 64 gig card barely used i could sell. Pm me if interested

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Interesting, Best Buy just shipped Lego Star Wars with Purolator. Must be preparing for the Canada Post strike.
Yeah, they started last week.

---

Anyone who ordered ZTD for the watch, you might be able to get promos/free shipping on your order. I still wish I just ordered the normal edition in Canada, but oh well, it's better than nothing. Hopefully the strike is over by the time they get the watches, because I don't want to deal with UPS or whatever they'll use to send it over.

Rbk_3

The Vizio Ps are great. Glad that I don't have to deal with going to the US if I wanted one.

Been following the AVS thread since the day they were announced.

Ordered the P65 this morning. $3540 all in with the $99 Costco warranty. Sucks how bad we got screwed on pricing but it is what it is.

killroy87

Been following the AVS thread since the day they were announced.

Ordered the P65 this morning. $3540 all in with the $99 Costco warranty. Sucks how bad we got screwed on pricing but it is what it is.

Are these on their website yet? I've been looking and didn't see them

Stage On

Er...I feel like this is old news now, but Dragon Quest 7 is now up for preorder on Amazon.ca

59.99 though -_-

Ridiculous, that's the price I paid for it when it came out on PS1... :/

Just a note that the price is just a place holder as Dragon quest 8 also has that listed as it's base price and has already been slashed to $49.99

Still pretty stupid that they keep deliberately listing games for higher prices then they will ever actually sell them at.

CazTGG

This week's PSN Mid-Year sale includes A Boy & His Blob for 0%. What a deal!

There are some great deals in that sale like Broken Age for $5 but that's still one goofy mistake.

In better news, Zero Time Dilemma arrived today, marking the last of my E3 30% pre-orders.

Kyolux

In better news, Zero Time Dilemma arrived today, marking the last of my E3 30% pre-orders.

How? That game was announced last Fall..? Black Friday deal maybe? I pre-ordered it back when I first could and the highest discount I remember being available since it was added was 20%... I missed something I guess?

Renewed

Man this upcoming Black Friday has every chance to be better or worse than E3 deals. The $30 discounts were good but I'd love 30% off instead of 20%...

Firestorm

Got home and no package to be found :( Also don't see Fedex's delivery from Best Buy. Maybe our tenants took it inside as the back door is their's...

#BringBackCanadaPost

iphys

zYCsJIG.png

rip

This reminds me of the time Canada Post delivered an insured, signature-required package by wedging it into the ceiling right in front of the door. Neither me nor my roommates saw the package for what most have been over a month. One day my friend came by and mentioned seeing a package above the door. I went outside and looked above the door and saw nothing and finally had to get my friend to come show me where it was. It was wedged up above the wooden slats in the ceiling and totally camouflaged. By this point I had already reported the package as lost and the insurance had been paid out on it.

i-Jest

So my copy of TMS SE came in today, but the box was all damaged. I ordered this from Amazon US and am looking to get it replaced. Do they have the chat thing same as Canada? I don't see it.

Edit: Nvm, found it through google search.

Edit 2: Bleh, they're sold out, so the best they could do was offer me a 30% discount. I guess that makes the price somewhat easier to swallow, but I was really hoping to have a mint copy of this since I have a regular copy from FS.

I might just ask for this too. My unit isn't ruined but I was surprised to see a couple dents and creases.

chrono01

So my copy of TMS SE came in today, but the box was all damaged. I ordered this from Amazon US and am looking to get it replaced. Do they have the chat thing same as Canada? I don't see it.

Edit: Nvm, found it through google search.

Edit 2: Bleh, they're sold out, so the best they could do was offer me a 30% discount. I guess that makes the price somewhat easier to swallow, but I was really hoping to have a mint copy of this since I have a regular copy from FS.
Mine arrived from EBGames today, and similar to you, the box was damaged. Only slightly though (thankfully), but still upsetting. When will they learn to ship this style of game in a box!? :(

Socreges

Banned

This is the way to go. Great value.

I haven't been able to figure out Plex, though. Any good tutorials out there?

Firestorm

This is the way to go. Great value.

I haven't been able to figure out Plex, though. Any good tutorials out there?
What did you have trouble with? Keep in mind that you want everything on the same network (I think 5GHz or not may matter for WiFi but shouldn't?)

Download Plex Media Server on your computer and install it. I just set it to always open when computer turns on to make it easy. Open it up and click the + beside Library on the sidebar and add the folders you want in the categories you want. My folder structure is:

Videos > TV > Series > Season > Episode
Videos > Movies

so I just add TV under TV and Movies under Movie.

After that it it'll take some time to do that initial sync of content. You download the app to your Android or iOS device from App Store / Play and when you're on WiFi on the same network with Plex Media Server running, you should be able to see all your media. Click it and click the cast button. After setting it up once like that it's basically hands off. It usually gets all the artwork and stuff automatically though I've had to play around with it for the odd movie here and there.

Bluenoser

Is anyone else still waiting for their $15 PSN credit for the $100 -> $15 credit promo Sony was running? I know it said you would receive notification of the credit by July 5, but just curious if anyone has received it already.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom