• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 7: More Shipping Talk than Anime & TV GAF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone done this before?

Plenty of people on RFD have had success with this, mostly for gas cards but some Best Buy. I personally bought $100 of Xbox Live credit with a similar code a few weeks ago, and a Best Buy card this time around. I haven't activated the Xbox card yet but I'm not worried, giftcardstore has a very high seller rating and the cards are the first thing you see on eBay's own page for the promo.

The only tricky bit is that the cards mostly come from the giftcardstore account, and they ship via Canada Post. They've stated that if there's a work stoppage, they'll hold all cards until service resumes, so you're taking a bit of a gamble. Don't use it for gift cards if you need them soonish.

Shipping Questions:

1. FedEx says delivered but I don't see a package. Do I contact Fedex or Amazon?

2. Purolator pickup is at Market Crossing again -_- I am considering just not picking that package up. Will it automatically get returned to Best Buy and I get a refund?

1. Do you have a tracking number?

2. That's too far from you?

Parapraxis

I'm strongly considering the Chromecast, thanks for the suggestions. It'll be weird using a mobile phone as a controller (I'm new to all of that), and I wish it had its own remote, but oh well.

I did use a console downstairs and watched some stuff. It was pretty awesome. Much easier than using my 10 year old laptop.

It's super convenient!

I don't use chromecast, but I do use MPC remote on my phone to control playback for what's playing on my TV from my PC.

Vinc

After much arguing, Amazon finally gave me a list of the games that don't have the 20% applied, and they're correct as far as I can tell. It includes all games that are lower than 79.99 or that had their MSRP adjusted. They say they can't adjust those prices, so they'll refund me the difference after they ship. I complained about that, but they say it's better to do it this way because if they apply the 20% off immediately by adjusting the price and the MSRP changes later, I won't be able to get that automatic price reduction PLUS the correct 20% off. They reassured me that they will automatically issue the refund... but I'll still follow up on that myself for those 7 games affected in my order.

Best Buy mentions that Sun and Moon and Paper Mario are placeholder prices for example. So we should get the 20% off on the ADJUSTED price for those.

Firestorm

1. Do you have a tracking number?

2. That's too far from you?

1. Yes
2. Somewhat, yes. It's fairly far as I'd be using public transit and it's only open 9AM to 6PM on weekdays making it impossible for me to get without having to miss some time at work. It seems hard to justify for a game I doubt I'll have time for right now (Star Ocean 5) considering it'll probably be $20 in a few months.

screw you amazon, why would ship canada post at this time?
ppqXfEh.png

and dq5 is shipping from purolator, so atleast one game will arrive on time

Aske

Have any of you guys imported a TV from the States? I'm tempted by the Vizio P75. It's $5500 CAD up here (or will be when it releases), but sells for the equivalent of $4900 CAD in the US. Even after shipping and tax, that's still an enormous saving; and although I'd be playing Russian roulette with the panel, I'm sure I could pay to have it serviced up here, so getting a lemon is a risk I'd be willing to take. Diminishing returns with a smaller panel, but I'd still save $400 buying in the States if I went with the 65" model. Be nice to spend $2600 plus shipping and tax rather than $3000 plus tax. Whichever set I went with, it seems to make far more sense to obtain it from the US.

Any reason importing is a terrible idea? If not, are any websites in particular better for Canadians to order from than others?

kevin1025

Banned
After much arguing, Amazon finally gave me a list of the games that don't have the 20% applied, and they're correct as far as I can tell. It includes all games that are lower than 79.99 or that had their MSRP adjusted. They say they can't adjust those prices, so they'll refund me the difference after they ship. I complained about that, but they say it's better to do it this way because if they apply the 20% off immediately by adjusting the price and the MSRP changes later, I won't be able to get that automatic price reduction PLUS the correct 20% off. They reassured me that they will automatically issue the refund... but I'll still follow up on that myself for those 7 games affected in my order.

Best Buy mentions that Sun and Moon and Paper Mario are placeholder prices for example. So we should get the 20% off on the ADJUSTED price for those.

I'm probably a fringe case, but I think I may go PC from here on out. The E3 deals have kind of soured me, and the RX 470/480 have enticed me to reconsider going PC. I'll still go PS4 for the $49.96 games from the E3 deal, but the $79.99 games that have the weird 20% glitch is super unfortunate. I hope everyone can get their own price adjustments and such for their particular orders, but I think my okay PC, with a new GPU, will get more action unless Black Friday pre-orders redeems things.

Have any of you guys imported a TV from the States? I'm tempted by the Vizio P75. It's $5500 CAD up here (or will be when it releases), but sells for the equivalent of $4900 CAD in the US. Even after shipping and tax, that's still an enormous saving; and although I'd be playing Russian roulette with the panel, I'm sure I could pay to have it serviced up here, so getting a lemon is a risk I'd be willing to take. Diminishing returns with a smaller panel, but I'd still save $400 buying in the States if I went with the 65" model. Be nice to spend $2600 plus shipping and tax rather than $3000 plus tax. Whichever set I went with, it seems to make far more sense to obtain it from the US.

Any reason importing is a terrible idea? If not, are any websites in particular better for Canadians to order from than others?

Maybe look into what you can do if you do get a lemon? Like how are warranties? Do you have to send it back to them to get it fixed? Assuming you got a lemon, how much more are you going to spend? If you can justify the possible cost, then go for it...! (Or if you just want to really take the chance, go for it!)

Aske

Maybe look into what you can do if you do get a lemon? Like how are warranties? Do you have to send it back to them to get it fixed? Assuming you got a lemon, how much more are you going to spend? If you can justify the possible cost, then go for it...! (Or if you just want to really take the chance, go for it!)

I assume there's no manufacturer's warranty on an import - that's usually the case. Leaning towards the 65" after taking some measurements, and I doubt the $400 saving would be worth it after factoring in shipping (guessing at least $200 or so) so if I went that route I'd drive across the border and bring the TV home myself. If I found it was broken after I got it out of the box, I'd just drive the 2.5 hours back down to Grand Forks and return the TV to Bestbuy. Subsequent issues would be treated like any other out of warranty repair, which would certainly be an expensive pain, but stuff that's not a games console doesn't usually doesn't break in the first year if it's solid for the first week.

Firestorm

I'm probably a fringe case, but I think I may go PC from here on out. The E3 deals have kind of soured me, and the RX 470/480 have enticed me to reconsider going PC. I'll still go PS4 for the $49.96 games from the E3 deal, but the $79.99 games that have the weird 20% glitch is super unfortunate. I hope everyone can get their own price adjustments and such for their particular orders, but I think my okay PC, with a new GPU, will get more action unless Black Friday pre-orders redeems things.
I got a GTX 970 a few months ago off Craigslist for $300 CAD. Honestly the better buy over the PS4 I bought so far. Also grabbed a Steam Link for comfy couch gaming but since I'm just playing Overwatch and Mirror's Edge Catalyst right now it isn't getting use.

I assume there's no manufacturer's warranty on an import - that's usually the case. Leaning towards the 65" after taking some measurements, and I doubt the $400 saving would be worth it after factoring in shipping (guessing at least $200 or so) so if I went that route I'd drive across the border and bring the TV home myself. If I found it was broken after I got it out of the box, I'd just drive the 2.5 hours back down to Grand Forks and return the TV to Bestbuy. Subsequent issues would be treated like any other out of warranty repair, which would certainly be an expensive pain, but stuff that's not a games console doesn't usually doesn't break in the first year if it's solid for the first week.

If you can drive back and pick it up/bring it back, sounds like you'd be okay. It'd be much more expensive if you had to ship it back instead. Crossing my fingers for you that you don't get a dud though. That deal is p. great if everything works out!

FrsDvl

Does anyone know if post offices are closed during Canada Post strikes? I need money orders, but I'm worried I can't get them

hazukash

I sympathize with anyone who is also lifting heavy boxes full of retro games and gaming accessories on this Moving Day.

Also, Purolator still sucks.

Any chance the dualshock 4 goes on sale? mine is dead

Also, black or white? Red and Blue is too strong, and the Uncharted blue is too expensive

I was thinking about placing an order for a couple subscription cards at Staples, using a coupon I saw I got in the mail ($20 off order of $100+, then one for money off $150+), but debated it. Sometimes they go on sale at stores for $40, and using the coupon would save me less.

Then I ended up getting one as a birthday present, which was awesomely convenient.

killroy87

Suuuuuper shot in the dark here, but anyone have a copy of Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn for Wii they'd be looking to sell? Willing to negotiate price.

I'll check in the B/S/T thread too, just wanted to deal with a Canadian first.

Quick

Banned
Any chance the dualshock 4 goes on sale? mine is dead

Also, black or white? Red and Blue is too strong, and the Uncharted blue is too expensive

Amazon.ca's got Dualshock 4s on sale. You could price match at Best Buy if you want to have it immediately.

I have a black and white, though I do want the Uncharted controller but it's expensive. lol

I bought a blue one when they were on sale at EB Games, because it looks so nice. Not the Uncharted one -- it's kind of ugly to me. I had bought one because of my obsession with the things, but decided to return it. I don't really miss it at all.

The blue one I got is fine, but when I was putting it away I banged it on my dresser. Not strongly, or in any way that will cause harm. I also saw a couple of discoloration marks on it from production. So those things are bugging me and making me try to sell it for a few dollars less than I paid, because I can't stop obsessing over nothing.

I have the white, red (my main), Black Ops III (one of the best) and blue.

Aske

If you can drive back and pick it up/bring it back, sounds like you'd be okay. It'd be much more expensive if you had to ship it back instead. Crossing my fingers for you that you don't get a dud though. That deal is p. great if everything works out!

Thank you - I'll definitely report back if I go ahead with it.

Aske

Is there some sort of limit to the monetary value of what you can come back with?

Nope. The limit is how much you can bring back without paying any duty on it. Last time I checked, if you stay in the US for 48 hours, you can bring back a maximum of $800 worth of goods duty free. I'd just be making a day trip, so I'd pay everything in full: duty and tax.

killroy87

Nope. The limit is how much you can bring back without paying any duty on it. Last time I checked, if you stay in the US for 48 hours, you can bring back a maximum of $800 worth of goods duty free. I'd just be making a day trip, so I'd pay everything in full: duty and tax.
What would duty on that cost?

Aske

What would duty on that cost?

No idea, but whatever it is, add it to gas, and the total will be less than $400. How much less would determine if I felt like it was worth the effort (plus the loss of the warranty and ease of returning the TV), so I'll need to figure it out. But there was a time when all frugal Canadians routinely bought big ticket items over the border, drove back with them, paid the duty, and still came out on top.

Ondore

I didn't realize that Best Buy was so sensitive about address changes if you pay with PayPal.

First my Persona 5 PS3 order from 2014 gets cancelled, then my Dragon Quest 7/8 preorders from last year (30% off $49.99) get cancelled after I change the address in case the lockout goes way too long. Frickin' hell.

Amazon.ca's got Dualshock 4s on sale. You could price match at Best Buy if you want to have it immediately.

I have a black and white, though I do want the Uncharted controller but it's expensive. lol

Im thinking of going white, but how quickly does discolouration/yellowing happen?

Black doesnt seem to have that equivalent problem, right?

DJ_Lae

Im thinking of going white, but how quickly does discolouration/yellowing happen?

I've used a white controller (heavily) since the Destiny bundle came out and it's not discolored in the slightest.

Sticks are in good shape, too, surprisingly, even though I know it's a revision.

Quick

Banned

I've used a white controller (heavily) since the Destiny bundle came out and it's not discolored in the slightest.

Sticks are in good shape, too, surprisingly, even though I know it's a revision.

Second this. I've had my white controller for over a year now, and no discolouration at all.

I got The X-Files: The Event Series on Blu-ray as a gift, and it got me thinking about checking out the prices of the Blu-rays nowadays. The other seasons, that is. I have the movies already, although I wish the second one didn't exist.

Seems the single season sets are normally $16 on average on Amazon? Weren't they about $30 per during the holidays when they came out? I didn't realize they'd gone down in price half-way. They're also on sale for about $15 per, which would be around $135 for all 9.

Yet for some reason, the complete series box set is still about $250 (it is $250 at BB) before taxes.

It's tempting, but I'm telling myself there's no need to buy them given Netflix.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom