• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 7: More Shipping Talk than Anime & TV GAF

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've had shirts from Wal Mart/Old Navy/Bluenotes that cost $10 or $15 bucks and last for years.

That's all I'd ever pay.

I wear buttoned up shirts when I go out -- at least when it's not hot as the surface of Hell -- and have had a few for a decade. One is getting a bit ratty, but it's okay for errands.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
$95 for a shirt!?

It looks really nice, but that's absurd. Twenty-five is tempting, but I'm fat so slim fit wouldn't work.

$80 for a video game?!

See, doesn't seem so bad now.

iphys

anyone hear of ebates? is it trustworthy?
you get cashback by buying online. saw a tv commercial for it lol

Yeah, there's an ebates.ca and an ebates.com, both of which I've received money from, but mostly I use greatcanadianrebates.ca because usually the percentages are higher. The percentages can change from time to time though, so it's worth it to check which one is better every time, and you have to accumulate some minimum cashback like $5 before they pay out, so sometimes I'll just go with whichever site I'm closest to a payment on if they're paying the same. I've received over $200 from these sites and never had issues with getting the transactions credited (unlike airmiles, which I pretty much gave up on for online purchases), so it's definitely very worth it.

Firestorm

I buy mine by walking into an H&M, grabbing what I need and assuming it'll fall apart within two years but it's okay because it was $10 - $30 and looks good enough.

Speaking of clothes I spent $500 on a suit from Indochino about two weeks ago. A bit late but anyone have experience with them? How likely is it I'll need to get them to remake or do major alterations?

Ventara

I'm glad you cleared that up, because my imagination was telling me you had controllers lining your walls like one would with figurines or posters =P

That would look dope actually if done like this Nintendo 64 one.

layjc.jpg

Sora_N

I buy mine by walking into an H&M, grabbing what I need and assuming it'll fall apart within two years but it's okay because it was $10 - $30 and looks good enough.

Speaking of clothes I spent $500 on a suit from Indochino about two weeks ago. A bit late but anyone have experience with them? How likely is it I'll need to get them to remake or do major alterations?

I haven't spent that much on a suit yet but it depends how it fits you right?

RS4-

Hard to buy a suit off the rack. You'll just have to get lucky, but more often than not, you'll probably have to get some alterations here and there.

CazTGG

On the somewhat related subject of PC parts, i've been looking into getting a new laptop (missed the Source Nitro @999.99 since I took too long trying to price match it and it sold out) and was wondering if there are any Canadian outlets that offer custom laptops (aside from Reflex Notebook).

SickBoy

Hard to buy a suit off the rack. You'll just have to get lucky, but more often than not, you'll probably have to get some alterations here and there.

Indochino is a custom suit company. To answer Firesto's Q, I've read more stories about needing alterations than not, but they do offer credit for that, no?

Let us know how it works out. I've often thought about ordering from there, but currently have little need for a suit (and also feel like I could lose a few pounds before ordering something like that)

Firestorm

Indochino is a custom suit company. To answer Firesto's Q, I've read more stories about needing alterations than not, but they do offer credit for that, no?

Let us know how it works out. I've often thought about ordering from there, but currently have little need for a suit (and also feel like I could lose a few pounds before ordering something like that)

Yeah I think they're one of the original "made to order" companies and they're based out of Vancouver iirc (they have a showroom here). It's getting to the point where people keep getting married so I figured it would be good to have one though yeah I'm in the same boat where I need to get more fit but that'd screw it all up :p

terrible

Banned
So to avoid having delayed shipments if there's a Canada Post strike places are using Purolator, but the increased volume of parcels is causing delays at Purolator. Is ShippingGAF going to be ok?

So to avoid having delayed shipments if there's a Canada Post strike places are using Purolator, but the increased volume of parcels is causing delays at Purolator. Is ShippingGAF going to be ok?

Purolator was great for me recently, ordered a graphics card Tuesday afternoon that shipped from Vancouver to my door in Ontario by yesterday at 2pm.

I fully expect to see them slow down though if this Canada Post strike hits hard.

terrible

Banned
Purolator was great for me recently, ordered a graphics card Tuesday afternoon that shipped from Vancouver to my door in Ontario by yesterday at 2pm.

I fully expect to see them slow down though if this Canada Post strike hits hard.

Lucky. Lots of people are being hit by the "estimated time for delivery: not available" delay.

Luigi87

I think the potential lockout is already having some impact on other couriers.

Ordered arcade parts from two places, both shipped via FedEx.

-One order shipped on July 5th, my tracking number still doesn't show on FedEx's site.
-Other order shipped yesterday, delivery est. is July 12th (from Vancover to Ontario).
I've never had FedEx take more than two days within the country, lol

Riptwo

I bought one after getting fitted at the Vancouver show room last year, and the final product only needed some minor tweaks to get the pants fitted correctly. Luckily, it seems like most alteration shops are pretty familiar with the Indochino process, so getting the info from them to update my profile was pretty easy, and the Indochino alteration credit was also painless to acquire.

I've bought a ton of suits off the rack in the past, but my Indochino suit is easily my favourite. Now if only they'd stop charging USD on their site...

I'm glad you cleared that up, because my imagination was telling me you had controllers lining your walls like one would with figurines or posters =P

No, I only have six over two systems. Sure, I've bought more, but I returned a lot of them.

I developed a bit of a shopping addiction (mostly centering on controllers) while my Mom was ill. I think it was a coping mechanism. But I was aware, and didn't open a lot of them, then returned them once the honeymoon period was over so to speak.

I still have that urge to buy them, but it's not as bad.

Tapejara

whats wrong with a 95$ shirt? ya its expensive but its worthwhile to have a few.

And to be fair, Banana Republic makes some nice clothes. I used to have a couple of their shirts before I put on weight. Always looked nice. Plus like once a week I still get e-mails from them with 40% off coupons, so it's not too bad.

It's just far too rich for my blood, given that I don't dress up often or leave the house much.

I sometimes cringe when I see how much Sears and Walmart sell those things for. Thankfully, I have quite a few in my closet from years past, when my Mom would buy me them for Christmas or whatnot. Some have hardly been worn.

N° 2048

no worthwhile to have for occassions. a date, interview, meetings, formal parties,...

You can still find cheap dress shirts, and dress pants for under $95 but I get you. My girlfriend spends $180 on sweaters from Aritzia and they are pretty damn good quality. Sorry I sounded like a dick...

man, I'm cheap o_O

You can still find cheap dress shirts, and dress pants for under $95 but I get you. My girlfriend spends $180 on sweaters from Aritzia and they are pretty damn good quality. Sorry I sounded like a dick...

man, I'm cheap o_O

lol no biggie. truth be told before i thought 50$ was expensive. then bought a $100 shirt from the bay that was on sale 60%, and ive been converted. my skin can breathe, the fitting is a lot better, i even find that it lasts longer

Dazzler

I just took delivery of a custom suit from Indochino last week. Total cost was $500 and the experience was brilliant

I went into their DT Vancouver showroom about four weeks ago, had my measurements taken over a one hour appointment.

Suit was delivered to my apartment last week, was 99% perfect. Made another appointment with them (included in the price) to assess the fit and make any changes I needed (just wanted the sleeves shortened by half an inch or so, and tightened around the bicep)

Just waiting to get the suit jacket back off them (final alterations take a week)

Very pleasant to deal with

Entropia

No One Remembers
Right now the exchange would be around $320. So $399.

That's funny. It'll probably go up to $425 minimum.

Also, I agree about buying higher quality clothing. It's better to buy a few pieces of high quality clothing than to have many low quality pieces of clothing. I get having some stuff from Old Navy and the like for casual stuff. But if you're needing to wear button up shirts for work, it's so worth it to get those more expensive clothes. I tend to lean towards frugality with my clothing, but if you keep an eye out for sales on clothes at the Bay you can still get some good stuff at reasonable prices. I bought a couple Michael Kors shirts that were like 40-60% off. So instead of paying $89 or whatever it was, it was only $39.

My friend works at fed ex and she has already been swamped for weeks with companies shifting to them because the strike deadline kept changing. From the sounds of it the Canada Post union isn't even asking for much it's like 1% lol but they are being locked out instead of being dealt with. Typical corporate bs as usual.

All the lockout will do is lose more business in the long run, but gotta stick it to those filthy peasant workers /facepalm

I'm usually at home, so I just wear pajama pants and a t-shirt. If I go out, I put on khakis and a buttoned up shirt, but nothing too fancy. I have nicer ones I can wear if need be. But I have no need to spend anywhere close to that much on a shirt, nor do I want one.

I'm likely a bit of an anomaly, though.

I also worry about spending a ton of money on clothes, then having something go wrong with the washer or dryer and them shrinking or getting ruined.

Tapejara

Yeah, most of my clothes aren't that expensive as I don't leave the house much either. I do have some nice shirts and pants for when I need them, but I don't really buy pricier clothes like I used to.

Trogdor1123

I just took delivery of a custom suit from Indochino last week. Total cost was $500 and the experience was brilliant

I went into their DT Vancouver showroom about four weeks ago, had my measurements taken over a one hour appointment.

Suit was delivered to my apartment last week, was 99% perfect. Made another appointment with them (included in the price) to assess the fit and make any changes I needed (just wanted the sleeves shortened by half an inch or so, and tightened around the bicep)

Just waiting to get the suit jacket back off them (final alterations take a week)

Very pleasant to deal with
I've never ordered from them in any way but that's good to hear. I may have to give them a try. what are the options like on fabrics? I hate some of the cheap wool that's out there. I usually go custom on suits as well, the cost is easily out done by the superior fit.

Trogdor1123

My friend works at fed ex and she has already been swamped for weeks with companies shifting to them because the strike deadline kept changing. From the sounds of it the Canada Post union isn't even asking for much it's like 1% lol but they are being locked out instead of being dealt with. Typical corporate bs as usual.

All the lockout will do is lose more business in the long run, but gotta stick it to those filthy peasant workers /facepalm
The pay isn't the issue. Job security and pensions are the hills both groups are willing to die on for obvious reasons.

It's not bs at all either. They can't negotiate forever. It's the same as when a people go on strike. Sometimes you need to escalate to get stuff done .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom