• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 7: More Shipping Talk than Anime & TV GAF

Status
Not open for further replies.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Does anyone have a Best Buy credit card, the Desjardins no fee one? I'm wondering if I should apply for one, interest at 19.9% seems normal.

Madness

Telus Update

So the dude on the phone said he reset some things on his end, I unplugged my cable box and re-plugged it, and so far the jittering has gone away. It was intermittent before anyway, so who knows if it'll come back.

Telus has been actual garbage for me the past two years. Random freezes, box issues, things like HDCP integrity check etc. Called the techs twice, new boxes, new remotes, new coaxial splitter boxes and still issues. Very substandard lately.

Windam

Scaley member
PIZZA DEAL

buy one get one free all regular priced pizzas at dominos this week

And if you're in the North York area, you can use the code 30STDNT for 30% off all regular priced pizzas. Don't know if you actually have to be a student, but I can't check since I live in Scarborough and only go to school at York.

Ondore

SHIPPING TALK/AMAZON WHINING

So Apocalypse shipped today (for Thursday arrival).. And as I feared, the discount didn't apply properly. Time to send an email and be that guy...

So Apocalypse shipped today (for Thursday arrival).. And as I feared, the discount didn't apply properly. Time to send an email and be that guy...

I complained about it showing for next week, but just like the representative told me when I chatted them up, it got sent today and will be getting to me tomorrow. My total was of $58.75.

etta

my hard graphic balls
It's good if you use it. I don't think it's free though. It's like 35 per year or something.
Says no annual fee here.

Is anyone else waiting for Black Friday for some 4K HDR TVs? That Sony XBR800D is looking sweet and has low input lag, perfect for HDR gaming with Gears of War 4 and Forza Horizon 3 and Modern Warfare/Infinite Warfare this holiday, and it's already pretty affordable at $900/$1100 for 43"/49". I wonder if they'll be like $150-$200 off for Black Friday?

For whomever was looking for Batman Arkham Knight, it's $24.99 new at EB (PS4/XB1).
Danke fam, but I gave in a few weeks ago, I ended up saving too because of a gift card.
Unless there's someone else you're referring to.

soultron

Banned
Anyone in Ontario have insight into cellphone plans? I've been on Wind for 4 years (unlimited, $45/mo) but the reception sucks in Toronto. The prices with the big 3 are scary as fuck though. Any hidden deals or plans that don't cost $90/mo?

Moltenix

Fk, how much effort do we have to put in to get them to correct it?

I'm not craving the game as much as I thought i'd be. If it's a big hassle, I might just cancel and wait for an eShop sale after all.

Anyone in Ontario have insight into cellphone plans? I've been on Wind for 4 years (unlimited, $45/mo) but the reception sucks in Toronto. The prices with the big 3 are scary as fuck though. Any hidden deals or plans that don't cost $90/mo?

I'm with Koodo and pay $57 a month that's with unlimited texting, 500mb of data and 500 minutes

I don't know how it compares to Rogers, Bell or Telus but its a lot better than $90 a month

Mhee12Bee

Looking for the same, but on Mobilcity $30 plan that's on heaven's door. Heard there was a Koodo plan you could Exploit to get a cheaper price for 4GB

Tapejara

Fido has 2GB of data, unlimited minutes and messaging for $60/mo ($55 if you bring your own device).

Corey31

Do you need a new phone?

If the answer is no Public Mobile is a decent option. To get the best rate through them you need to buy a 90-day plan.

Unlimited Canada-wide talk, text and 6 GB of data for $129 (Shows as $135 but you save $2 a month if you use pre-authorized credit or debit).

So that works out to $43 a month for unlimited talk, text and 2 GB of data a month basically.

They are owned by and run off the Telus network.

KarmaCow

I talked to CS last week about it and all they said was they could credit me after the fact. :/

Also I just checked my order and it says it wont even start shipping until Friday. It's like they picked the absolute worst date.

Luigi87

Does anyone have a Best Buy credit card, the Desjardins no fee one? I'm wondering if I should apply for one, interest at 19.9% seems normal.

I have one. I use the three months financing often, but I will say if you need to contact Desjardins, it can be a real hassle on the phone sometimes.
... Though I did discover that it seems like if you hit 2 repeatedly, eventually you will connect to a real person, lol

Keep in mind it's more of a financing card, less of a credit card (though I guess it does have credit on it).

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member

Do you need a new phone?

If the answer is no Public Mobile is a decent option. To get the best rate through them you need to buy a 90-day plan.

Unlimited Canada-wide talk, text and 6 GB of data for $129 (Shows as $135 but you save $2 a month if you use pre-authorized credit or debit).

So that works out to $43 a month for unlimited talk, text and 2 GB of data a month basically.

Just wanted to second this, I switched to them this month and it's been great so far.

Tapejara

Do you need a new phone?

Just wanted to second this, I switched to them this month and it's been great so far.

Yo, how have I never heard of this before? Are there any drawbacks to going with Public Mobile?

N° 2048

I'm with Koodo and pay $57 a month that's with unlimited texting, 500mb of data and 500 minutes

I don't know how it compares to Rogers, Bell or Telus but its a lot better than $90 a month

Oh, wow that's pretty bad.

I pay $45 + tax for (Fido):

- Unlimited Canada-wide anytime calls
- 2 GB (over usage: $5/250 MB)
- Unlimited text/picture/video msgs from Canada to Canadian, U.S. and international cells
- Call Display (Number only)
- Mini Voicemail (max 3 msgs)
- Circle Calling™
- Free Daily Vice & Spotify for 2 years

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/fido-45-50-byod-loyalty-pulse-2gb-3gb-updated-ymmv-2gb-free-1935903/

etta

my hard graphic balls
The "90 days" one doesn't have annual fees cause it's 90 days. Everything else has fees, if not called annual, it's administration fees then. I have one.
Oh no I was referring to the "credit card" fee part, not financing, that's what I thought you meant with the $35 annual.
But yea I would use this for financing first either way, not as a general credit card.
I have one. I use the three months financing often, but I will say if you need to contact Desjardins, it can be a real hassle on the phone sometimes.
... Though I did discover that it seems like if you hit 2 repeatedly, eventually you will connect to a real person, lol

Keep in mind it's more of a financing card, less of a credit card (though I guess it does have credit on it).
Yup, thanks.

I talked to CS last week about it and all they said was they could credit me after the fact. :/

Also I just checked my order and it says it wont even start shipping until Friday. It's like they picked the absolute worst date.

When I talked to CS last week they refused to fix the discount stating it was 20% of the original 64.99 price , couldn't be bothered to argue , Amazon is really screwing up these deals

- Unlimited text/picture/video msgs from Canada to Canadian, U.S. and international cells
- Circle Calling™

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/fido-45-50-byod-loyalty-pulse-2gb-3gb-updated-ymmv-2gb-free-1935903/

Call Display
Voicemail
Unlimited Canada-wide Family Calling
Call Waiting and Conference Calling
Additional data $5/100 MB
Unlimited evenings and weekends (5pm)

Here's everything else I get with my plan. I didn't look through everything that was included

Corey31

Call Display
Voicemail
Unlimited Canada-wide Family Calling
Call Waiting and Conference Calling
Additional data $5/100 MB
Unlimited evenings and weekends (5pm)

Here's everything else I get with my plan. I didn't look through everything that was included

You must have a phone subsidy as a part of that right? As in it's really $40 + $15 a month because you got a phone?

Otherwise you should just switch to a new plan and get Unlimited Canada-wide talk, text and 2 GB of data via Koodo for $55. That's one of their current plans.

Oneself

Oh no I was referring to the "credit card" fee part, not financing, that's what I thought you meant with the $35 annual.
But yea I would use this for financing first either way, not as a general credit card.
Okk. :) Go ahead then, if you don't keep it active, it's worth it. Kept mine because I bought a refrigerator and then a tv etc.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Yo, how have I never heard of this before? Are there any drawbacks to going with Public Mobile?

Well it's only Province-wide calling. Otherwise, speed and connection has been great for me. You have to pay in three month chunks too, if that's an issue.

jred2k

Slightly echoing what others have said, but it totally depends what and how you make Best Buy purchases. If you see yourself making large purchases in-store it can be useful with allowing no interest payments. If you plan to use it for mainly online purchases, you might as well just find a good cash back card. Financing is only available in-store, and the card balance is split in two to amounts with the purchasing amount usually being low(around $200-$300 dollars).

Saprol

Thinking of doing that trade in 5 for $100 off a Slim. I want to play a handful of PS4 games and I'm already not keen on trying to find people who will pay $15-20 for these older 3DS+PS3 games.

Fularu

Banned

- Circle Calling™

I pay 39.90$ with Rogers for :

- Unlimited provincial calls (no need for canadia wide)
- 7 GB of data
-Unlimited SMS/MMS/etc (international too)
- Caller ID (number/name)
- Voicemail (like 20 messages)
- Spotify (but for 6 months)

Granted I'm on a corporate plan, but the non corp version was 55$

Cynar

- 7 GB of data

Not in Ontario for non Corp

Sora_N

- 7 GB of data

Wtf I wish I had that.

ElNino

- 7 GB of data

What province are you in?

In Ontario, the closest corp plan I can find to that (with 7 GB data) is $84.50 with a device tab or $78 BYOD. Alternatively, you can do their corp "super" plans at $60 for 3 GB of data or $70 for 5 GB data and Canada/US call/text. If you want to go off-contract, then you can pay $44.50 for 3 GB data and unlimited Canada-wide voice/SMS/MMS.

Fularu

Banned
What province are you in?

In Ontario, the closest corp plan I can find to that (with 7 GB data) is $84.50 with a device tab or $78 BYOD. Alternatively, you can do their corp "super" plans at $60 for 3 GB of data or $70 for 5 GB data and Canada/US call/text. If you want to go off-contract, then you can pay $44.50 for 3 GB data and unlimited Canada-wide voice/SMS/MMS.

Québec

I took advantage of a promotion they had and had the corporate reduction (30%) applied to it

Danke fam, but I gave in a few weeks ago, I ended up saving too because of a gift card.
Unless there's someone else you're referring to.

Yeah I couldn't recall your name and whether you had it already. :p

Is the ScotiaBank Scene credit card a bad one to get?

It's not bad if you see a lot of movies, but in terms of value (% in dollars spent to dollars redeemed) it's not great.

The best cards (IMO) are cashback cards.

Amazon: 1% on everything, 2% on Amazon.ca purchases
Tangerine: 1% on everything, 2% on select categories (restaurants, groceries, etc.)
MBNA SmartCash: 1% on everything, 2% on gas/groceries
PC World Elite: 1% on everything, 3% at Loblaws stores (includes Shoppers) (you get points but you can redeem them at PC stores which is basically like cash)

Those are all free (no annual fee), though some may require a minimum income.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom