• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 7: More Shipping Talk than Anime & TV GAF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Draff

I had problems on PSN this morning.

I ended up buying PSN codes through Costco.ca since they send the digital codes right away.

I changed my mind. Sent the 6290 back to costco. Ordered a 60" KS8000 from Visions. I was set to pick it up Saturday morning, but when I got there, they said they put the TV they had for me on display. I was pissed but they were my only option to get this TV at a good price and in a timely manner. Since its the first location in the GTA the guy was really nice and offered to personally deliver the TV to me if shipping or pickup wasn't convenient to me.

I need the low latency AND the HDR support. KS8000 is really the only option at this point. I guess after the firmware update, Vizio P series will become viable as well. Not as fast as the KS8000 but good enough I guess.

My brother out in Cali also bought a KS8000. We've slowly realized the one big flaw is not great support for anything but HDMI. So we're looking at different external scalers now for retro console support.

i have the ks8000, it is a fantastic set and really the best option available now for a price to performance ratio

i had the sony x850d, but opted to return it after 2 weeks or so of use

Gitaroo

i have the ks8000, it is a fantastic set and really the best option available now for a price to performance ratio

i had the sony x850d, but opted to return it after 2 weeks or so of use

I have the x850D with me atm, kinds of want to swtich to the KS8000, but Tizen is useless and the tv also cost 500 more which is a price of a PS4 pro. As long as Sony bother to update the TV to have a consistance 33ms input lag with 4K+HDR, its a better price+value for me. Android TV is awesome, runs emu straight off the tv witihout any external device and google cast +kodi.

killroy87

I have the x850D with me atm, kinds of want to swtich to the KS8000, but Tizen is useless and the tv also cost 500 more which is a price of a PS4 pro. As long as Sony bother to update the TV to have a consistance 33ms input lag with 4K+HDR, its a better price+value for me. Android TV is awesome, runs emu straight off the tv witihout any external device and google cast +kodi.

I have the same TV. Do we know if Sony has mentioned this update at all, or is it just something we are wishing will happen?

Gitaroo

I have the same TV. Do we know if Sony has mentioned this update at all, or is it just something we are wishing will happen?

Sony hasn't say anything but the Android 6 update is suppose to come out next month which will bring all the older 2016 and 2015 sets up to date to the latest Android like the just released X800D, X700D etc which don't have any of the input lag issue. Another reason why I decide not to switch to the KS8000, Sony tv tents to have better motion and its PC support is also better if they ever get their lag issue solved. KS8000 force you to stay in PC mode with a 38ms lag if you want 4:4:4, and no 1080p 120Hz support. And I am not sure how rtings get 4K 4:4:4 HDR output I don't think that works under PC mode for the KS8000. Not sure what will happen once HDR PC games start coming out.

Mimosa97

Economax is okay, I guess (at least the one in Point-aux-trembles)

otherwise IKEA is always sorta cheap

Already been to IKEA. Bought a desk, a marcus chair and a bunch of cheap stuff there. I'm looking for a couch and a small dinner table that are not Ikea. I had an IKEA couch for 5 years and I hated it (it was way too expensive for the shitty build quality) so I swore I would never buy another IKEA couch in my life.

Check out Wayfair.ca

I'll check that. Thank you.

Leon ain't too bad either.

You definitely have to shop around different stores though if you want something good at a good price. What are you looking for exactly?

I'm looking for a couch and a dinner table.

Sony hasn't say anything but the Android 6 update is suppose to come out next month which will bring all the older 2016 and 2015 sets up to date to the latest Android like the just released X800D, X700D etc which don't have any of the input lag issue. Another reason why I decide not to switch to the KS8000, Sony tv tents to have better motion and its PC support is also better if they ever get their lag issue solved. KS8000 force you to stay in PC mode with a 38ms lag if you want 4:4:4, and no 1080p 120Hz support. And I am not sure how rtings get 4K 4:4:4 HDR output I don't think that works under PC mode for the KS8000. Not sure what will happen once HDR PC games start coming out.

apparently the x800d (the only Sony TV with 4k/HDR + decent input lag at around 33 ms) has more processing power then the x850d and x930d. So even if a firmware update comes, those models might not be powerful enough to drop the input lag down to acceptable levels. at 95 ms with 4k + hdr on, the x850d is terrible for 4k/HDR gaming. even for just 4k gaming, its still way too high at 63 ms

the black levels and brightness are also much better on the samsung to the point that it isnt really comparable, from a picture quality perspective. if you enable 120 hz on your computer, then you get artifacts all over the screen. its completely unusable in its current state and is really more of a checkbox feature

android os is much much better then tizen, no question. but i have a pc and an xbox one s hooked up to my samsung, both of which are much better then android os. so that part doesn't bother me so much

the x850d isn't a bad tv by any stretch, but the extra $400 for the ks8000 is well worth it in my opinion. i'd actually take the x800d over the x850d if given the choice

farisr

Today was just yet another reminder of why I will not be ditching physical games. Sold some games that I had no intention of playing anytime soon. Having sold the ps4 for $300 late last month, and after selling these games, in the end, I'm just paying $20 out of pocket for the Pro now.

On another note, I went to Best Buy and actually checked out the 4k HDR TVs that I was deciding between. While looking great, I think the impact was dampened by just how many different TVs doing 4k and HDR were on display at once (including some of the more expensive ones).

Last few days I was itching to pull the trigger, constantly checking the stocks at best buy (as that's where I want to get it from) online for the 49x800d. Now I can wait, and will probably be actively on the lookout for the KS8000 to drop in price, which will probably be spring (and I'll wait till then). Unless there's a ridiculous sale going on this black friday/boxing day (like if the 49x800d is going for 700 or something).

Gitaroo

apparently the x800d (the only Sony TV with 4k/HDR + decent input lag at around 33 ms) has more processing power then the x850d and x930d. So even if a firmware update comes, those models might not be powerful enough to drop the input lag down to acceptable levels. at 95 ms with 4k + hdr on, the x850d is terrible for 4k/HDR gaming. even for just 4k gaming, its still way too high at 63 ms

the black levels and brightness are also much better on the samsung to the point that it isnt really comparable, from a picture quality perspective. if you enable 120 hz on your computer, then you get artifacts all over the screen. its completely unusable in its current state and is really more of a checkbox feature

android os is much much better then tizen, no question. but i have a pc and an xbox one s hooked up to my samsung, both of which are much better then android os. so that part doesn't bother me so much

the x850d isn't a bad tv by any stretch, but the extra $400 for the ks8000 is well worth it in my opinion. i'd actually take the x800d over the x850d if given the choice

I am aware of all of that but at the end, its 1500CAD for the X850D + Android TV that I use daily, or 2000CAD for the KS8000+ OS that I don't want. The horrible pricing conversion from USD is one thing and the price difference is the cost of a PS4pro man. If the 60" ks8000 come down to 2000-2200CAD, I would have switch instantly. The HDR video mode on the X850D is the main big issue IMO, it was not meant for games but only watching video. Just like cinema pro or any non graphic nor game mode, they all have insanely high input lag, same goes for every other brand. One benefit for bravia is that there are two low input lag setting, graphics and game, if they do update the tv at the end I can use one of them for HDR games and one for SDR game so I don't need to go into my display setting to change my brightness and contrast every time. That must be annoying as hell.

So apparently Shomi is shutting down. It'll be shut down on Nov. 30. Wonder what'll happen with the exclusive stuff they had.

LOL

Really can't be bothered with all of the imitation Netflix garbage. Hope Netflix can get Transparent, since apparently Amazon has no interest in offering video anytime soon.

kevin1025

Banned
So apparently Shomi is shutting down. It'll be shut down on Nov. 30. Wonder what'll happen with the exclusive stuff they had.

CraveTV has Bosch, so I'm really hoping the Amazon shows move over there. Shomi wasn't grabbing all of their stuff, like Man in the High Castle and a lot of the new stuff this fall. I'm sad because of the shows that were putting up new episodes the morning after airing, like Jane the Virgin and iZombie. And now I have to cram all of the exclusive stuff, in case it disappears for months!

FrsDvl

Maybe locally for you.

Here we only get Large 3 topping $8.99 Mon-Wed for day specific deals.

Don't think so, they even advertise it on Facebook from time to time. Try it next time with the code MON50P should also show up under Coupons on their site!

xWVAcok.jpg

NYR

Wow. Not surprised. They had the weakest content in a world of legitimate competition. I'm surprised how decent Crave is, but Netflix is still king. Rogers and Shaw took a big hit here, they are now a step behind on IPTV.

That fucking sucks Shomi had a ton of great content, I don't know If I would have watched Fresh Off the Boat, Last Man on Earth, or Transparent (among other shows) without it. I like Crave too but their tech or servers is garbage, no other service stops to buffer as much as Crave.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
That fucking sucks Shomi had a ton of great content, I don't know If I would have watched Fresh Off the Boat, Last Man on Earth, or Transparent (among other shows) without it. I like Crave too but their tech or servers is garbage, no other service stops to buffer as much as Crave.
The CraveTV XB1 app had to be hunted down in order to install it, and it doesn't even work at all >_>

Ventara

Has EB games stopped stocking niche titles (ie XSEED, or other small localization publishers) at their retail stores?

I still see them, though it's a very small section. There are a few stores where it's been completely taken off the shelves and you have to ask them to show you the titles, in which case they'll take out a small box from their cupboard holding all their vita titles.

Edit: Oops, I don't know why my mind went straight to Vita. But yes, I do still see them (XSEED and other niche publisher games).

Has EB games stopped stocking niche titles (ie XSEED, or other small localization publishers) at their retail stores?

What game exactly are you looking for? I've been looking for Xseed and Level 5 games, but I'm ultimately getting them from stores like GameShack or on Kijiji/Ebay.

Shoeless

Don't think so, they even advertise it on Facebook from time to time. Try it next time with the code MON50P should also show up under Coupons on their site!

I'm really not sure what to think that I now rely on up-to-date pizza deal news from a thread on GAF, but I guess stranger things have happened.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
My local store only gets enough to cover preorders.

Even for 'larger' titles like say, MHG recently, seems like most EBgames in Toronto (maybe large ones like Eaton are the exception?) only get enough for preorders and maybe.. maybe a couple more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom