• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals & Discussion 8: Don't Move Here For The Deals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silexx

So Best Buy currently has a PS4 bundle with Uncharted 4 and FFXV for $329.99. Is that the best going around or can I expect somewhere else to have a similar deal on Boxing Day?

SickBoy

Boxing Day has been rubbish since 2014, which is the year where the CAD really hit the fan. Don't expect it to get better until Boxing Day 2018 maybe.

Also the last Boxing Day during which Target Canada existed.
</targetboosterism>

antibolo

Banned
Boxing Day has been rubbish since 2014, which is the year where the CAD really hit the fan. Don't expect it to get better until Boxing Day 2018 maybe.

You think the dollar will be back to parity/near-parity by 2018? That's wishful thinking for sure lol.

:(

Seik

Banned
Uh so this is like the best deal on the xbox one yet no?

C0Cl3c5VQAAg0F4.jpg

http://flyer.bestbuy.ca/flyers/bestbuy-weekly?flyer_run_id=130619%3Ffullsite%3Dtrue&type=1&locale=EN&store_code=14&is_store_selection=true&auto_flyer=&sort_by=#!/flyers/bestbuy-weekly?flyer_run_id=130619

Damn, that's tempting.

Anyone know how fast the Yakuza games go out of stock and how low they usually drop on sale? Yakuza 3 and 4 prices went up so idk how long the new ones will stay in stock, let alone long enough to have big sales.

Anyone know how fast the Yakuza games go out of stock and how low they usually drop on sale? Yakuza 3 and 4 prices went up so idk how long the new ones will stay in stock, let alone long enough to have big sales.

i think the prices are going up because of 0, kiwami and 6's eventual releases over here so more people who passed over it initially are now wondering what all the fuss was about and want to check it out. It was a niche series to begin with, so I don't know if you'll see that many sales on it (unless you keep an eye out on best buy and their clearance list) but I doubt its going to run out of stock any time soon (although I do think if you're a collector you might want to get the first run which comes with a couple of extra items and is called the "business edition"). Still, you can always get it from amazon and get that 20% off if you have prime.

I assume you mean 0/Kiwami/6? Yakuza 5 was never sold as a physical game.

3 and 4 hung around for a while; I think I managed to get 4 at 50% off. Dead Souls was on clearance for a long time. But the retail market was doing a lot better back then, and Yakuza is only just now returning to shelves after almost disappearing from North America altogether. Given Sega's reluctance to commit much to the packaged console game segment lately, I wouldn't expect a lot of stock.

Or to put it another way: seen any copies of the Project Diva or Project Mirai games lately?

Ventara

So Best Buy currently has a PS4 bundle with Uncharted 4 and FFXV for $329.99. Is that the best going around or can I expect somewhere else to have a similar deal on Boxing Day?

If those are two games you are interested in, I'd say that's an amazing deal. Would pretty much bring the price of the console to $250. I say just buy it and keep the receipt. You can always return it if you find something better during Boxing Day.

khaaan

A friend offered to sell me his new Xbox One (won it at an office Christmas party) for $250. He agrees that it makes more sense just to go with the Best Buy deal but I'm torn because really I just want an Xbone for 360 JRPG's + Rare Replay. I'd like to get Halo's and Gears's as well (don't care for GTAV) but I'm also fine with waiting for those to drop. I 'll probably end up exercising self control because I really don't need another console...but it sure is tempting.

i think the prices are going up because of 0, kiwami and 6's eventual releases over here so more people who passed over it initially are now wondering what all the fuss was about and want to check it out. It was a niche series to begin with, so I don't know if you'll see that many sales on it (unless you keep an eye out on best buy and their clearance list) but I doubt its going to run out of stock any time soon (although I do think if you're a collector you might want to get the first run which comes with a couple of extra items and is called the "business edition"). Still, you can always get it from amazon and get that 20% off if you have prime.

Are they required playing for 0/Kiwami/6?

Lexxism

That's probably the best offer we can get from the slim. Based on their Boxing day flyers, we will get the generic ps4 slim with uc4 for 329.99. You can always wait. Buy the current offer and then don't open the console yet. See if there's any good deal coming among competitors.

Clive

Chronologically the series is like this:
Kiwami (remake of Yakuza 1)
2 (PS2)
3 (PS3)
4 (PS3)
5 (PS3)

So, I'd say nothing is required for Yakuza 0 and since Kiwami is a remake of Yakuza 1 which is the first game released in the series, nothing is required for that one either. Either of those is a good starting point. All games are also largely self-contained stories but they do make references to places, happenings and people in other games. Many of the most important characters also return in the sequels.

If anyone is interested in the series then I say start with Yakuza 0 or Kiwami next year. It will be a complete experience without any prior knowledge required. Yakuza 6 on the other hand builds on events of previous games and starts right after the events of Yakuza 5 from what I understand but the plot can be researched if you don't have a PS3.

Mimosa97

The last great Boxing Day sale was 2013 when everywhere was selling 1 yr PS+ subscriptions for $30. I bought so much that year, including pillows.

No problem. :)

I bought 4 years of PS+ that year. I should have bought more :(

And yeah who doesn't remember the infamous walmart pillows deal ? :D

khaaan

2 (PS2)
3 (PS3)
4 (PS3)
5 (PS3)

So, I'd say nothing is required for Yakuza 0 and since Kiwami is a remake of Yakuza 1 which is the first game released in the series, nothing is required for that one either. Either of those is a good starting point. All games are also largely self-contained stories but they do make references to places, happenings and people in other games. Many of the most important characters also return in the sequels.

If anyone is interested in the series then I say start with Yakuza 0 or Kiwami next year. It will be a complete experience without any prior knowledge required. Yakuza 6 on the other hand builds on events of previous games and starts right after the events of Yakuza 5 from what I understand but the plot can be researched if you don't have a PS3.

Luckily I have myself a PS3. 3 looks to be disc only but 4+5 are up digitally (and something called dead souls but I'm assuming that's a standalone episode or something) so maybe I'll check em out.

Man I wish more online retailers offered download codes for games. Case n' point https://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msca/en_CA/pdp/Deus-Ex-Mankind-Divided-for-Xbox-One/productID.5063141700

Mankind Divided for the physical disc is $29.99 which is a great price and I do want to jump into this installment, however just getting code is much faster and you don't have to wait for the product so be shipped out. Though the code for the same product, sans packaging is the full price of $79.99 but its the same product at the end of the day. It's very bizarre and inconvenient.

Clive

Luckily I have myself a PS3. 3 looks to be disc only but 4+5 are up digitally (and something called dead souls but I'm assuming that's a standalone episode or something) so maybe I'll check em out.

Dead Souls is a non-canonical zombie shooter spin-off so play everything else first. It should be seen as strictly for the fans but I enjoyed it for what it was.

One thing that's good about Yakuza 4 is that it offers flashbacks to Yakuza 1-3 in the form of an optional movie gallery with all their cutscenes. This makes Yakuza 2-3 skippable if they are hard to get a hold of these days. It might be a bit too much to try to get through the entire series at this point but give Zero a spin and follow up with Kiwami if you like it. Depending on how you feel about the series after that you can decide how to move on. Very underrated series in my opinion.

2 (PS2)
3 (PS3)
4 (PS3)
5 (PS3)

Pretty much what he said.

I will add though that Yakuza 3 and 4 (can't remember if 2 had it or not; it's been so long) have recap videos of the previous titles for new players who didn't play previous entries or for those who needed a refresher, so even if you missed out on say yakuza 2 (because a PS2 copy is pretty expensive now), you can play 3 and watch the recap movies that 3 has in order to catch up story wise.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Wooo someone just gave me their 20% PSN code just now.

Could just get Deus Ex on PSN for $26 instead of paying $30+tax on Boxing Day.

Hmm decisions decisions

Silexx

If those are two games you are interested in, I'd say that's an amazing deal. Would pretty much bring the price of the console to $250. I say just buy it and keep the receipt. You can always return it if you find something better during Boxing Day.

That's probably the best offer we can get from the slim. Based on their Boxing day flyers, we will get the generic ps4 slim with uc4 for 329.99. You can always wait. Buy the current offer and then don't open the console yet. See if there's any good deal coming among competitors.
Pretty much what I was thinking. Thanks.

Past

Yakuza Dead Souls was in the clearance bin at Walmart for $19.99 like a month after release. Though I read that the game sold around 5k copies or some ridiculously low amount in NA.

kswiston

I jumped on Shoppers' $299 PS4 deal, plus used my 95k optimum points, to get the system for $169. I wish I knew about the deal on the weekend to take advantage of the 20x points event.

Before I start buying PS4 stuff, do US game codes work in Canada?

Yasumi

Banned
Hello,

We have some good news about your service with us. As you know, your current package with us for ####### is DSL 6 Unlimited, with Unlimited GB of non-overnight download usage at a monthly cost of $39.99. (Uploads, and overnight downloads between 2 and 8 am, are unmetered.)

Well, starting with your first billing cycle on or after Monday, 16 January 2017, your package will become DSL 6 Unlimited, with Unlimited GB of usage at a monthly cost of $35.95. No action on your part is needed, as the change will happen automatically.

Neat, thanks Teksavvy.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Fucking Rogers, switched to the new gigabit modem and my upload went from the 40s to sub 10.

Amazing.

Call and complain.

They offered me a modem upgrade a few months back and it caused me a lot of trouble (voip wouldnt work, randomly lose signal, 2nd router wouldnt connect to it, etc. After calling and complaining, they exchanged my router and the new one has been problem free.

farisr

Fucking Rogers, switched to the new gigabit modem and my upload went from the 40s to sub 10.

Amazing.
Call them up. Could just be as simple as a reconfiguration that can be done from their end that'll reboot the modem and the speeds will be up again.

Clive

I jumped on Shoppers' $299 PS4 deal, plus used my 95k optimum points, to get the system for $169. I wish I knew about the deal on the weekend to take advantage of the 20x points event.

Before I start buying PS4 stuff, do US game codes work in Canada?

PS+, DLC and full game codes work, $ codes do not work. Nice purchase btw.

A little bit worried here, gf added a free Amazon Prime trial and I'm not sure how long they normally last. I just realized my details are saved and they would have continued the sub for a year (next bill date would be Nov.2017) Why did it say it was going to refund me $90?
I believe the duration of a prime trial is 3 months. I may be wrong though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom