• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals & Discussion 8: Don't Move Here For The Deals

Status
Not open for further replies.

jholmes

Many of the independent ISPs are lowering their prices this month, or upgrading plans for free to higher speeds and/or unlimited.

I can personally vouch for the awesomeness of Start.ca. Looks like cable 30/5 unl is $50 and 60/10 unl is $60, 100/10 unl $70, starting today.

Where are you seeing this? I'm with them but didn't get an email or anything.

Corey31

Where are you seeing this? I'm with them but didn't get an email or anything.

It probably depends on what cable provider you would typically have.

For eastern Ontario where I would have Cogeco Cable I see these prices for Start.ca

Cable 15 200 GB Cap for $40
Cable 40 Unlimited for $50
Cable 60 Unlimited for $65
Cable 120 Unlimited for $85

I'm with Teksavvy personally instead of Start.ca. My internet is going down also but not until the middle of the month.

jholmes

I got an email this morning. Its on their homepage too. What city are you in, and are you cable or vdsl?

It probably depends on what cable provider you would typically have.

For eastern Ontario where I would have Cogeco Cable I see these prices for Start.ca

Cable 15 200 GB Cap for $40
Cable 40 Unlimited for $50
Cable 60 Unlimited for $65
Cable 120 Unlimited for $85

I'm with Teksavvy personally instead of Start.ca. My internet is going down also but not until the middle of the month.

I'm on cable but I'm also in a Cogeco market. I hope I get a new offer soon, I'm always down for better Internet.

eyesradar

I'm on start.ca's 60/10 too. They also dropped $5 on my monthly charges this morning and gave me unlimited as well. Rock solid Internet for my place. Two years, zero complains.

Edit: I'm in sauga and I think they use Robbers line here.

I'm on start.ca's 60/10 too. They also dropped $5 on my monthly charges this morning and gave me unlimited as well. Rock solid Internet for my place. Two years, zero complains.

I emailed them to update my plan, they responded in like 10 minutes. They are GOOD!

Was that for physical?

If so I wish I would have done the same

Right now it's only the digital version I believe (I backed it for the same tier). In their last backer update they indicating that they're looking to see how we can upgrade our digital version to physical, though not sure how much of an added cost that will be.

jholmes

what would i need to do to switch from cogeco to start.ca?

I was briefly with Cogeco and just after the contract expired I switched to Start. I didn't even have to pay a fee, since it was all hooked up. I just had to wait for them to ship a modem. My advice, buy the modem, don't rent.

Also prepare to be without Internet for maybe a day because if you think Cogeco treats its customers like shit, just wait until you see how they treat ex-customers.

Iced

Just looking into start.ca now. Holy shit. This almost seems too good to be true.

Has anyone switched over from Teksavvy to start.ca? If so, was it relatively painless? I have a month old Hitron CDA3 modem from Teksavvy and it seems like it will be compatible.

Alternatively, has anyone gotten Teksavvy to give them a lower price after citing start.ca prices?

Moltenix

Looks like EB Games is starting to hype up the Switch event next week. There's a countdown! Also saying upgrade trade deals to be announced.

ohlawd

Anyone who has ordered from NISA, do they ship things on release or before release?
before or on release for shipping.

it's two weeks for delivery in my case. there was that one time I got the package a week later. usually I just buy NIS shit to collect and I double dip digitally

Corey31

Just looking into start.ca now. Holy shit. This almost seems too good to be true.

Has anyone switched over from Teksavvy to start.ca? If so, was it relatively painless? I have a month old Hitron CDA3 modem from Teksavvy and it seems like it will be compatible.

Alternatively, has anyone gotten Teksavvy to give them a lower price after citing start.ca prices?

Did you get an email from Teksavvy in December? You should have with a new rate.

Teksavvy is dropping rates also but for some reason isn't doing so until January 15th. So I'd say at least give it a week or two until Teksavvy's new rates are on their website before doing anything. I would imagine their new rates should be similar. If they aren't then look at perhaps changing.

Iced

Did you get an email from Teksavvy in December? You should have with a new rate.

Teksavvy is dropping rates also but for some reason isn't doing so until January 15th. So I'd say at least give it a week or two until Teksavvy's new rates are on their website before doing anything. I would imagine their new rates should be similar. If they aren't then look at perhaps changing.

Yep, got an email from them. Cable 25 unlimited for $53.99, where start.ca has Cable 30 for $50. I called Teksavvy tonight and they told me they would be unable to match.

Corey31

Yep, got an email from them. Cable 25 unlimited for $53.99, where start.ca has Cable 30 for $50. I called Teksavvy tonight and they told me they would be unable to match.

That's unfortunate. I know my new plan with Teksavvy is similar to the Start amount.

RaidenXZ

You guys think EB Games locations are going to take Switch pre-orders the day after the event? I'm pretty sure they'll take pre-orders in general since they did for the 3DS and the Wii U as well

pervasive

Neo Member

Just to chime in to also agree with what he's saying, they've got amazing service and tech support help just in case something isn't working. I'm also on Start's 60/10 unlim plan, I was on Robbers but I was getting speeds of 0.25Mbps instead of 25Mbps, but instead of getting $5 off they dropped my plan by $15. I'm in Vaughan and they also use Robbers line here.

I would say very likely.

My question is, given that there is now a product page online, are they taking pre-orders in store now?

BTW, it looks like they'll be taking pre-orders online for in-store pickup.. which is pretty much the best of both worlds IMO. Do the pre-order online easily without running to the store ASAP after the event, but still get the system on day 1 with no shipping shenanigans.

Pickup In-Store
Pre-ordering products for in-store pickup is fast and easy. First, ensure you're logged in on ebgames.ca, and simply add eligible pre-orders to your shopping cart using the "Add to Cart" button. In your shopping cart, click on the "Pre-order online & pickup in-store" button to continue. A $5 deposit is required to ensure your product is reserved for you in-store. Please be aware that regular in-stock merchandise are not eligible for pickup in-store.

You'll need to select an EB Games store where you'll pickup your order. You can do this by using the map feature at the checkout and searching by city, store address, or postal code. Once your order is placed, you cannot change your selected store. You will receive an order confirmation by email and a call from the store once your product arrives. At that time, you'll be required to pay the balance of your order at the store.

If you would like to cancel your pre-order, please visit the store that you directed the order to. An associate will be more than glad to assist you with the refund.

BTW, it looks like they'll be taking pre-orders online for in-store pickup.. which is pretty much the best of both worlds IMO. Do the pre-order online easily without running to the store ASAP after the event, but still get the system on day 1 with no shipping shenanigans.

For some reason, I have a feeling it wouldn't be there for pick up day 1.

eyesradar

I'll just order one on Amazon as soon as the preorders open and grab another in-store preorder next morning. The Direct is at 11pm anyways.

I'm pretty sure you can resell if you regret buying it.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Trade-in promos for Switch at EB? Just what I wanted to hear.

Rumors about Xenoblade Chronicles X on Switch so I'm definitely gonna trade that in. Still haven't played it even though I got it on release day.

Might as well hurry up and finish up Dishonored 2, Deus Ex MD, and FFXV so I can trade those in too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom