• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals & Discussion 8: Don't Move Here For The Deals

Status
Not open for further replies.

iLLmAtlc

Just to follow up, the Street Fighter II Blu-ray I bought off amazon.ca is in fact the Completely Uncut version.
Thanks for the information I received earlier.

It comes with this slipcover (pictured on the left) and the blu-ray movie that is pictured in the amazon link.
I will probably watch it this weekend.

JIMnUSF.jpg

Nice. The JPN soundtrack and voice acting was so much better to me.

i-Jest

The Wii U bundle with Mario Kart 8 is still retailing for $329.99 in Canada.
The 3DS XL is $240 without a power adapter.

I think the Nintendo Switch will be at least $399 Canadian at launch. Bad value considering it does not come with a proper hard drive.
Nintendo seems to think 32 GB of flash memory is still competitive in 2017.

Nintendo gonna learn the hard way again then. I honestly believe they'll release a better version, with more space and better performance, for hardcores a bit later. Judging by the reveal video, the primary audience aren't children.

DEAL

Blazblue: Central Fiction Limited Edition is $69.99 on Amazon.

Debating getting it, I've fallen off of Blazblue a bit but I'm in the mood for a fighter.

I'd buy this if I knew it was the final version of the game.

SickBoy

The price is such a huge question around the Switch. It's the biggest issue for me, and I've talked myself higher on it (there was a time when I felt like it should be under $300). I think they could wind up bringing it at $400... but I don't know how you do that when the PS4 and Xbox are both readily available for $20 cheaper.

There are two ways about it, as far as I can tell:

1) Price it how you want (potentially high) and if it doesn't sell, you've got to bring it lower and then if you've got to do that fast, you've got to figure out how to appease your existing buyers (see: OG 3DS)

2) Price it a bit more aggressively and live or die at that price. I don't think it would be a loss leader at $250US. Maybe they don't have as much wiggle room, but they also don't risk alienating some fans and creating the impression that maybe it's a failure.

Maybe the difference between US$250 and $300 isn't as big psychologically as the difference between $330 and $400 Cdn... but for me, $400 is probably too high, even though I have enough set aside to cover it.

Vamphuntr

400$ wouldn't be so bad if the tablet was a fully featured android tablet. But knowing Nintendo it will have less feature and functionality than a 100$ tablet. 400$ wouldn't be so bad if it came with a premium game like Zelda but they will give you Splatoon or another remaster instead.

The price is such a huge question around the Switch. It's the biggest issue for me, and I've talked myself higher on it (there was a time when I felt like it should be under $300). I think they could wind up bringing it at $400... but I don't know how you do that when the PS4 and Xbox are both readily available for $20 cheaper.

There are two ways about it, as far as I can tell:

1) Price it how you want (potentially high) and if it doesn't sell, you've got to bring it lower and then if you've got to do that fast, you've got to figure out how to appease your existing buyers (see: OG 3DS)

2) Price it a bit more aggressively and live or die at that price. I don't think it would be a loss leader at $250US. Maybe they don't have as much wiggle room, but they also don't risk alienating some fans and creating the impression that maybe it's a failure.

Maybe the difference between US$250 and $300 isn't as big psychologically as the difference between $330 and $400 Cdn... but for me, $400 is probably too high, even though I have enough set aside to cover it.

Imagine if sony and MS drop their respective consoles to $199 usd ($249 CAD) during the Switch launch.

When sony launched the ps3, I bought a 360 that week, thanks to MS dropping the price $50 and suddenly including 3 AAA games at future shop. It was 3 years later until I adopted a PS3. Think of something similar happening today; sony and MS dump a load of discounted systems on amazon and best buy. No casual would even think about a Switch then.

Nintendo has to come with a $199 USD price tag or they won't get past 2 million in year 1 sales, unless they have another Mario 64 coming up.

Trogdor1123

400$ wouldn't be so bad if the tablet was a fully featured android tablet. But knowing Nintendo it will have less feature and functionality than a 100$ tablet. 400$ wouldn't be so bad if it came with a premium game like Zelda but they will give you Splatoon or another remaster instead.
You won't get any game at all I bet.

antibolo

Banned
Wait, really but why?

As long as they have a decent enough player base they'll keep releasing updates as full priced games, and there's no reason to expect them to change their business model anytime soon, they've been doing it for a while now.

Keep in mind that Arc System Works does not give a shit about their international audience, their real target audience is Japanese arcades, and the console ports are only an afterthought.

Imagine if sony and MS drop their respective consoles to $199 usd ($249 CAD) during the Switch launch.

When sony launched the ps3, I bought a 360 that week, thanks to MS dropping the price $50 and suddenly including 3 AAA games at future shop. It was 3 years later until I adopted a PS3. Think of something similar happening today; sony and MS dump a load of discounted systems on amazon and best buy. No casual would even think about a Switch then.

Nintendo has to come with a $199 USD price tag or they won't get past 2 million in year 1 sales, unless they have another Mario 64 coming up.

Yeah they're going to slash their console's price in half to cut into a non competitor's sales.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™

If I didn't have a PS4 or XB1 and they did that during the Switch's launch, I wouldn't even think twice, I'd easily skip the Switch in favor of one of those two.

Stat!

One day shipping from amazon with dynamex has taken me literally 5 days. In Toronto.

Has anyone had any experience dealing with this? Keep calling and every day it's out for delivery...

Like what's the point? It'd be easier for me to hire my own courier to grab it from them..

Maximus.

I remember that deal because that is what I bought at the PS3 launch, it was an unreal deal at the time. Too bad that batch of consoles were all like DOA. Mine was DOA, went back to Futureshop and they informed us a lot of people were returning them and they barely had any units left due to so many exchanges.

Anyways, I would not be surprised if nice deals may pop up during the Switch launch.

Anth0ny

PS4 was already $249 with Uncharted 4 during the holidays in America

I expect $249 to become the normal price in 2017, and for the holidays it'll either drop to $199 or they'll do a crazy bundle for $249

either way Switch might be fucked if they price too high

Now I'm angry at Best Buy. Ordered an external HDD on December 27 for $60 (on sale from $100). Was supposed to ship out on Dec 30th but never did. Emailed on the 4th about the issue and now all of a sudden the order is cancelled with a "sorry for the inconvenience" email. It's been in stock this entire time and now the sale is long over.

Now I'm angry at Best Buy. Ordered an external HDD on December 27 for $60 (on sale from $100). Was supposed to ship out on Dec 30th but never did. Emailed on the 4th about the issue and now all of a sudden the order is cancelled with a "sorry for the inconvenience" email. It's been in stock this entire time and now the sale is long over.
Contact customer support, have your old order confirmation and see if there's anything they can do. who knows you might get lucky and they'll honour their fuckup, never hurts to try.

Moltenix

My SMT4A from Amazon shipped last night out of Mississauga. Just got home and checked and now it says:

Out for delivery
Montreal, QC, CA

Arriving today
Calgary, Alberta

Oh Intelcom, what are you doing....

8:14 PM Your package was delivered.
Montreal, QC, CA

You gotta be shitting me.

NYR

My SMT4A from Amazon shipped last night out of Mississauga. Just got home and checked and now it says:

Out for delivery
Montreal, QC, CA

Arriving today
Calgary, Alberta

Oh Intelcom, what are you doing....
I had Intelcom delivery earlier this week that did the exact opposite of this, haha. I am in Calgary and it said delivered in Montreal. I got the package though on the day it said it was delivered to Poutine country, I think their system is borked.

Moltenix

I had Intelcom delivery earlier this week that did the exact opposite of this, haha. I am in Calgary and it said delivered in Montreal. I got the package though on the day it said it was delivered to Poutine country, I think their system is borked.

I'm actually in Calgary too so that's good news I guess. I'll see if it actually arrived when I get home.

Optimized shipping indeed.

Dollar Yen

Neo Member
Just to follow up, the Street Fighter II Blu-ray I bought off amazon.ca is in fact the Completely Uncut version.

It comes with this slipcover (pictured on the left) and the blu-ray movie that is pictured in the amazon link.

JIMnUSF.jpg

Do they still have this?

Windam

Scaley member
It looks like my preorder for the regular edition got switched to the limited. Did that happen for anyone else?

Guess I was too quick in cancelling my regular edition for the limited. (Not that it really matters now.)

One day shipping from amazon with dynamex has taken me literally 5 days. In Toronto.

Has anyone had any experience dealing with this? Keep calling and every day it's out for delivery...

Like what's the point? It'd be easier for me to hire my own courier to grab it from them..

Complain to Amazon. Call back and ask for the driver's number (if the delivery people servicing your area are anything like mine, they'll text or call you when they've arrived/on their way (9/10 times late).

every time they are available and see the $90 price after taxes in cart, I am able to say no and close the page.

plus I also realize I will want a wireless controller since I am not sitting that close to tv and that just increases the price.

JDH

Fucking EBGames doesn't like Paypal and had my Province blank - even though it's there on PayPal, and wouldn't let me check out. By the time I clicked Province>Alberta they were out of stock.

Warning Paypal and EBGames does not work well!

Moltenix

It's a good thing I have no interest in the NES Classic. What a mess.

Don't think I could resist an SNES Classic though. Those would probably sell even faster.

farisr

JIMnUSF.jpg
Remembered I had my cashback reward accumulated on my credit card and justified this purchase. By far the most expensive single disc bluray item I've bought, but seeing as I love this movie and have seen it a ton of times, via renting and other methods, and there finally being a definitive release, I had to get it.
Do they still have this?
Yes, ordered last night from here: https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01L7JFJ9Y/
arrived at 9 in the morning via prime shipping for me.
How is the image quality? I was tempted to get it as well.
I just booted it up and skipped around, by far the best I've ever seen it be. Clean lines, great detail in the artwork. This is THE definitive release both video & audio wise. It was handled by folks who really cared about it and have posted on gaf about their progress on it when it was being worked on last year. Also, just glanced over the extras, seem interesting, will definitely be checking those out. Even includes the PG-13 cut as an extra.

Kyolux

Anyone in the GTA want some free PS2 games? None of the local stores want them.

Maybe I should order YL. (Seeing that it releases on April 11, guess it's gonna wait and see. May order closer to release if I feel like I'd have time for it to benefit from Prime discount).

For Stormblood, I'm hoping there's a prime discount for it too. Haven't really played the game since finishing Heavensward's main story. I'm interested in catching up to the end of 4.0 when it releases and putting it away again until 5.0. I really hope they cut down on the randomness of the dragoon skills rotation though.

leeman

Maybe I should order YL. (Seeing that it releases on April 11, guess it's gonna wait and see. May order closer to release if I feel like I'd have time for it to benefit from Prime discount).

For Stormblood, I'm hoping there's a prime discount for it too. Haven't really played the game since finishing Heavensward's main story. I'm interested in catching up to the end of 4.0 when it releases and putting it away again until 5.0. I really hope they cut down on the randomness of the dragoon skills rotation though.

All of these will have prime discount eventually, they are just brand new listings and so prime usually takes a day or two to kick in.

farisr

Can I still buy it at a low price?
Nope. It dropped to 49.96 for a day (November 28th) and went back up to regular price. This is why a lot of folks here (including myself) preorder anything and everything that they may even have the slightest interest in as soon as it's available to preorder.

X-Factor

It is the same movie that was made around 1995. Looks a lot better in HD and widescreen.
I have the old VHS version somewhere but it is censored and SD resolution.

The new blu-ray version is uncensored.

How is the image quality? I was tempted to get it as well.

Just booted it up and took some screenshots.

vF4PH5t.png

Vnxv0Eu.jpg

Aymn05h.jpg

QBR1y86.jpg

wxQX0Y2.jpg

It is the same movie that was made around 1995. Looks a lot better in HD and widescreen.

vF4PH5t.png

Vnxv0Eu.jpg

Aymn05h.jpg

QBR1y86.jpg

This looks so sexy.

Murdamonk

vF4PH5t.png

Vnxv0Eu.jpg

Aymn05h.jpg

QBR1y86.jpg

Awesome... i still have the RIP version...so i was wondering if the image was much better.. it seems so..

Thanks, for the pics... i will order the Bluray too.

killroy87

With the way the 20% Prime discounts work now, I never have to preorder again. I can just blissfully wait until release and check out reviews.

And man, am I glad I backed Yooka Laylee on kickstarter, I only paid like $20. Had no idea they'd charge so much on release.

Anyone know if that Stormblood release will include everything else too? Base game and the Heavensward?

Kyolux

And man, am I glad I backed Yooka Laylee on kickstarter, I only paid like $20. Had no idea they'd charge so much on release.

Oh damn, really? Well, will probably wait on a price drop then. I'm guessing as usual though, there's that physical kickstarter game tax (vs digital usually being cheaper for these, at least on pc).

Anyone know if that Stormblood release will include everything else too? Base game and the Heavensward?

Nope. Pretty sure it'll be Stormblood alone and you need the other 2 bought separately.

farisr

With the way the 20% Prime discounts work now, I never have to preorder again. I can just blissfully wait until release and check out reviews.
Despite having prime, I still make preorders well in advance due to this trend of games randomly dropping to 49.99 for a day or so that's started happening. It's an additional $14 off from the already 20% off price.

krae_man

The kickstarter was £15 which was closer to $30 Canadian at the time.

BaconHat

Oh damn, really? Well, will probably wait on a price drop then. I'm guessing as usual though, there's that physical kickstarter game tax (vs digital usually being cheaper for these, at least on pc).

I think you can already preorder it for pc on steam for 45$.

Sealtest

Despite having prime, I still make preorders well in advance due to this trend of games randomly dropping to 49.99 for a day or so that's started happening. It's an additional $14 off from the already 20% off price.

I thought amazon didn't offer 20% off a price drop only the listed price.

Many of the independent ISPs are lowering their prices this month, or upgrading plans for free to higher speeds and/or unlimited.

I can personally vouch for the awesomeness of Start.ca. Looks like cable 30/5 unl is $50 and 60/10 unl is $60, 100/10 unl $70, starting today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom