• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals & Discussion 8: Don't Move Here For The Deals

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems like WiiU again. Their HD Rumble and improved IR stuff is probably expensive and drive the cost up

Truth right here.

They need less gimmicks and more focus on games and online infrastructure. Playing virtual console NES/SNES/N64 games versus friends online should be a priority.

Sealtest

UPDATE FOR PLACEHOLDER PREORDERS

EB Games just DM'D me on twitter confirming if you have a placeholder preorder you will get a switch. And you won't need to do anything.

FtLf0Sw.jpg

jholmes

I really don't understand why this is coming out in March with no games. Why didn't they just not can a couple of their Wii U projects, have those come out, shoot for November? I don't think I'm getting this until Mario Odyssey comes out anyway.

Like holy shit I'm not cheap with my video game buying but why is all this so damn expensive in Canada.

Wedge7

Damn, those prices really left a mark on most in this thread. Feel like I'm in the minority for those who are getting it still, and probably getting most of the accessories at launch.

Meh, price isnt great, but its moreso the shitty currency that is really making it seem more painful, and its sort of out of Nintendo's hands.

BaconHat

The few game during the launch window has me worried. I hope more stuff is announced for march in the coming weeks.

Still, they got me with no more heroes 3 and SMT. Just not sure if it will be at launch or not.

Stage On

Darn my plan to get Amazon prime mostly for Switch games seems a bit shaky at the moment since you need to buy at least 5 games at full price before you actually start saving money with it.

Quite frankly it isn't really worth it for most non Nintendo stuff since that regularly goes cheaper then 20% off launch price really fast. No reason to get most triple A stuff at launch when you can literally wait like a month and it's $49.99

I don't understand the value here lol, Zelda is a Wii U game and for 550 dollars you can buy a PS4 Pro and play open world games at 1800p upscaled to 4K

That's why I will play my 45$ Wii U copy of Zelda and tell my wife that the Switch is no longer an option for my birthday gift in March. Fuck that shit...

Vamphuntr

Damn, those prices really left a mark on most in this thread. Feel like I'm in the minority for those who are getting it still, and probably getting most of the accessories at launch.

Meh, price isnt great, but its moreso the shitty currency that is really making it seem more painful, and its sort of out of Nintendo's hands.

Nothing wrong to be excited for it. It's your money and you can do what pleases you the most with it!

In my case I was excited for a 3DS successor since I mainly game on PC and handhelds. And for the price of the switch and a game I can almost get a new recent GPU so I will be in the waiting group for this one.

Darn my plan to get Amazon prime mostly for Switch games seems a bit shaky at the moment since you need to buy at least 5 games at full price before you actually start saving money with it.

Quite frankly it isn't really worth it for most non Nintendo stuff since that regularly goes cheaper then 20% off launch price really fast. No reason to get most triple A stuff at launch when you can literally wait like a month and it's $49.99

You also have Amazon Prime Video is that's your thing. Be warned there is almost nothing outside of their exclusive series though.

I really don't understand why this is coming out in March with no games. Why didn't they just not can a couple of their Wii U projects, have those come out, shoot for November? I don't think I'm getting this until Mario Odyssey comes out anyway.

Like holy shit I'm not cheap with my video game buying but why is all this so damn expensive in Canada.

Totally agree, no excuses Nintendo. A PS4 at xmas with 2 top tier games was, $299, $249, something like that? An xbox one refurb from MS could be had for like $220. With 360 BC, and $4/month for Live.

And $600+ for switch, game, pro controller?

Extreme disappointment. Went from Day 1 to 2019 probably. This thing needs TWO price drops to become attractive.

trixx

Fuck the switch entirely. Sticking with Wii U. Never thought I'd be glad to have a wii u hahaha

$400 Canadian hahaha
$100 for extra joy cons
$80-90 for Pro controllers
Have to pay for online and we don't even know how the online is
Canadian price of games
Barely any games in first place, and lack of third parties.

This is terrible, good luck scalpers and you guys should be able to pick it up on pre-order and in store easily.

How the hell do you go from the disaster that was Wii u and continue with this LOL

Totally agree, no excuses Nintendo. A PS4 at xmas with 2 top tier games was, $299, $249, something like that? An xbox one refurb from MS could be had for like $220. With 360 BC, and $4/month for Live.

And $600+ for switch, game, pro controller?

Extreme disappointment. Went from Day 1 to 2019 probably. This thing needs TWO price drops to become attractive.

They messed up hard. Why would anyone buy this as opposed to ps4/xbone. Hell if you have a wii u only game to look forward to is mario and xenoblade 2 lol

kevin1025

Banned
Here's the Japanese launch list, since the NA one is still missing. So things may be exact or at least similar:

- Zelda Breath of the Wild
- 1 2 Switch
- Dragon Quest Heroes 1+2
- Nobunaga no Yabou Power Kit thingy
- I am Setsuna
- Puyo Puyo Tetris S
- Disgaea 5
- Super Bomberman R

JazzmanZ

Fuck the switch entirely. Sticking with Wii U. Never thought I'd be glad to have a wii u hahaha

$400 Canadian hahaha
$100 for extra joy cons
Canadian price of games

This is terrible, good luck scalpers and you guys should be able to pick it up on pre-order and in store easily.

How the hell do you go from the disaster that was Wii u and continue with this LOL

You probably should be blaming Canadas economy instead

Moltenix

Here's the Japanese launch list, since the NA one is still missing. So things may be exact or at least similar:

- 1 2 Switch
- I am Setsuna
- Puyo Puyo Tetris S
- Disgaea 5
- Super Bomberman R

Suddenly Zelda + Mario at launch doesn't seem like it would've been that bad an idea...

Vamphuntr

- 1 2 Switch
- I am Setsuna
- Puyo Puyo Tetris S
- Disgaea 5
- Super Bomberman R

The good stuff on there can also be played on another hardware (including Zelda) :S

I'll be there for SMT

BaconHat

Those games are barely in development. You'll be lucky to see them in stores before 2019.

I managed to wait 3+ years for Tokyo mirage sessions, i can wait 2-3 years for those.

Honestly, it seem the first year for the switch is gonna be problematic but i'm still excited for the games i've just saw.

nordique

Yeah I don't get it. 400CAD is 300USD, it's the exact same price.

It is, yes but it's still 400$ out of our pockets (+tax) not 300$....and yes the conversion rate is what it is, but it doesn't change the more expensive price we'll pay unfortunately

Mimosa97

And Zelda's the one game you don't actually need a Switch for. So man, I don't know. Also, I feel like for maybe the first time ever, we don't have any guarantee the Switch version will actually look or perform better than the Wii U version.

I don't have a Wii U. I never bothered with buying a Wii U because you guessed it ... No Zelda.

True Fire

Yeah I don't get it. 400CAD is 300USD, it's the exact same price.

People didn't suddenly get paid more when the Canadian dollar tanked. In fact a lot of people are getting paid marginally less. You can't say prices aren't stacked against Canadians.

$400 Canadian hahaha
$100 for extra joy cons
Canadian price of games

They messed up hard. Why would anyone buy this as opposed to ps4/xbone. Hell if you have a wii u only game to look forward to is mario and xenoblade 2 lol

Thats solid points you make - and oddly enough, the BEST deal today is going to be all the WiiU's being dumped on kijiji for $100-$150.

Oh and did y'all hear about the virtual console on this? Check the gaf thread and prepare to laugh.

iiicon

On the bright side, at least EB Games is running that double trade in value deal again. It only applies while trading in toward the Switch, but it runs until the end of the month.

joms5

That's why I will play my 45$ Wii U copy of Zelda and tell my wife that the Switch is no longer an option for my birthday gift in March. Fuck that shit...

This is the proper way to go. I'm glad I kept my pre-order. I now worry about Nintendo in Canada. This thing is expensive as hell (let's not even consider the accessories) and we don't know what the game prices will be like.

Compare that to the library that Xbox and PS4 and their current prices.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Fuck it I don't care, I'm gonna get one. I guess I need to goto EBgames or something tomotrow.

Group of 5 people dead set on getting the console before the presentation now range from a tepid "maybe for Mario at Christmas" to "Fuck that".

Just looking at what I'd be paying for a Switch, Pro controller and Zelda in Canada I think I'll be passing on the system until something huge like SMT comes around.

*Whoops, meant this for the Switch thread but I guess it fits here.*

Vamphuntr

Aren't the Wii U pro controllers Bluetooth? It'd be nice if they worked.

The Pro Controller for Switch has the HD rumble, improved IR and the amiibo stuff in it too. Guess this is what drove the price up and why the console is expensive (joycon has the same improvement). Like I said in the previous page it's like the Wii U with the tablet that drove the price up.

nordique

I mean really. If one were so inclined they could track down a Wii U with Zelda and still pay nearly $200 less.

Yep. :'(

Hopefully the wii u version runs admirably. Even if it's something like 720p vs 1080p I can't justify the cost difference for what is really the only switch game (and only video game) I'm interested in playing this year

People didn't suddenly get paid more when the Canadian dollar tanked. In fact a lot of people are getting paid marginally less. You can't say prices aren't stacked against Canadians.

Exactement. Merci

SickBoy

For the folks saying "blame the economy" or "blame the dollar," I think people largely believed it was going to launch at $250US. And while it's only $50 there, obviously every $50US is an extra $60-70 here. Yeah, it's the same amount of money, but the better part of $100 sure feels like a lot.

So any way you slice it, it kinda sucks... even if they're not gouging on exchange. This machine is pricier than its two rivals.

Then there's the accessories, which seem pricey even in the US. One joy-con is just $10US shy of a DS4 or a XB1 wireless controller.

trixx

You probably should be blaming Canadas economy instead

Even the american prices are crap. Severely overpriced. Anyways if I were to buy it I'd get it in the states.

Compare this to the $300 xbox one s with multiple games and 329 ps4 with uncharted. This is kinda crazy imo

I don't think he's saying that. Nintendo can't control how much you get paid. They can't control the dollar either.

Moltenix

$300 US for the system itself isn't THAT bad. But even the US prices for the extra dock, Joycons and Pro controllers seem a bit steep.

Factor in our shitty exchange rate and this is what we're left with I guess.

Yeah, I think I'm sticking to my Wii U Zelda preorder. Jesus, unless they have some major stuff up their sleeve for tomorrow's Treehouse, I'm not paying $400 for THAT 2017 lineup.

Cmagus

The Pro Controller for Switch has the HD rumble, improved IR and the amiibo stuff in it too. Guess this is what drove the price up and why the console is expensive (joycon has the same improvement). Like I said in the previous page it's like the Wii U with the tablet that drove the price up.

They should just release a normal controller without all that garbage in it. Make the one with ice cubes in a premium controller. There is no need for this thing to be this expensive. I really wish they offered a version that was just a boxed console at a cheaper price. For me at least I don't care about taking out the tablet thing or playing with friends in the park while we have a picnic or those crazy rooftop parties we have, I just want a box under the TV that plays games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom