• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals & Discussion 8: Don't Move Here For The Deals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fularu

Banned
I don't understand why most people are surprised at the canadian price.

The last time our dollar was this bad, the PS2 came out at 299 in the US and 449 here (I remember it quite well, I purchased the first one available in Québec on october 26th 2000)

Now you can complain that our economy is shitty but you can't really blame Nintendo for applying what seems to be a prety honest exchange rate.

Also to the people saying that it's a ripoff at 399$, it's the most powerfull tablet device outside of the pro surface line. find me a better deal or better tech for that price point with better battery life (hint, you won't) so stop shitting on things when you are clearly uninformed on what goes into it, the switch ain't cheap to make.

explodet

The last time our dollar was this bad, the PS2 came out at 299 in the US and 449 here (I remember it quite well, I purchased the first one available in Québec on october 26th 2000)
I remember the PS2 launch, that shit was dire.

And it turned out to be a fantastic system, but some of those launch titles, ouch.
(I'm looking in your direction, Fantavision)

killroy87

I remember the PS2 launch, that shit was dire.

And it turned out to be a fantastic system, but some of those launch titles, ouch.
(I'm looking in your direction, Fantavision)

Yeah, as much as I'm shit talking the Switch launch lineup, Zelda is a much higher high than SSX is (and I love me some SSX).

EvilMario

Will QA for food.

Now you can complain that our economy is shitty but you can't really blame Nintendo for applying what seems to be a prety honest exchange rate.

Also to the people saying that it's a ripoff at 399$, it's the most powerfull tablet device outside of the pro surface line. find me a better deal or better tech for that price point with better battery life (hint, you won't) so stop shitting on things when you are clearly uninformed on what goes into it, the switch ain't cheap to make.

I think it's the USD price that surprised people. Look at the Switch thread yesterday before the reveal. You people willing to die on the 'no more than $250' hill, calling people 'fucking trolls', or 'just trying to start shit' if someone mentioned $300+.

The exchange rate is fine. It's the base price of the console, the joycons.. and everything in USD that is the issue for most people really.

Vamphuntr

That's really a terrible argument to make. My iPhone has a better resolution than 720p. Most tablet will let you access software, games, and Apps through iOS and Android which will make your tablet useful for more stuff than gaming. Knowing Nintendo it will be their usual crippled OS. Being the most powerful tablet ever outside of MS tablet doesn't mean much if there isn't much to do with it and seeing the lineup for 2017 so far it seems 400$ to play Mario and Zelda. The 2000$ Surface gives you access to the whole Steam library and countless software and seems a much better value so far.

Not sure why people are pulling their hair and being angry about this though. Nintendo hardware are always premium priced and it's not different this time either.

-Deimos

That's exactly the problem. This is a video game console, not a tablet. They spent all their resources making yet another gimmick with crappy specs for what it's designed to do.

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit

If I can do things other than play games on this thing, I'd be MUCH more interested in buying one.

Not sure why people are pulling their hair and being angry about this though. Nintendo hardware are always premium priced and it's not different this time either.

The Wii wasn't priced at a premium. It was the cheapest console of that generation. So was the Gamecube. The DS also wasn't that expensive, though it didn't have a lot of competition at the time. For a long time (and arguably even now), Nintendo courted the children's market, and you can't really do that if all your stuff is expensive.

Nintendo hardware carrying a premium price is a relatively new phenomenon.

I remember people desperately trying to convince themselves that Steel Diver was a worthwhile game.

Lol. Steel Diver.

I ended up getting Ridge Racer and Street Fighter at launch, and that was pretty bad for launch games.

At least with the Switch we have Zelda.

I seriously think they should've packed in 1,2, Switch. That would soften the blow a little.

tiijj

The Wii wasn't priced at a premium. It was the cheapest console of that generation. So was the Gamecube. The DS also wasn't that expensive, though it didn't have a lot of competition at the time. For a long time (and arguably even now), Nintendo courted the children's market, and you can't really do that if all your stuff is expensive.

Nintendo hardware carrying a premium price is a relatively new phenomenon.

Not really a "premiuim price" but unlike sony and ms, nintendo doesn't usually sell their consoles at a loss.

Cmagus

Got a preorder in at Best Buy but am a little suspicious of it still being up. Hoping I get in on the first shipment...
There was a lot of people ordering multiple units between EB, BB and Amazon and now I think people are cancelling now their Amazon orders are confirmed because they offer the day one shipping.

keakster

Have any Canadian retailers posted the Breath of the Wild special edition? (Not the $200 Master)

Not seeing it on Bestbuy, EB or Amazon.ca

veras

Anywhere to grab a pro controller yet? Do accessories like that tend to end up in short supply at launch, or typically no?

keakster

Anywhere to grab a pro controller yet? Do accessories like that tend to end up in short supply at launch, or typically no?

Probably not at $90! But no I didn't have a problem finding the Wii U pro controller, but that was a different scenario

Saskabush

Got my Best Buy pre order in and got a confirmation email about 10 minutes later. I've never bought anything from them so I hope all goes smoothly.

joms5

For those interested Best Buy has Switch preorders in stock and has had them steady for a couple hours now.

Surprised they're still in stock.

And a bit worried what this may mean for Nintendo.

Cru Jones

I just added Lego City to the games I purchased for the launch. I can't believe the price error is still there for those who have Prime.

AzerPhire

For those interested Best Buy has Switch preorders in stock and has had them steady for a couple hours now.

Surprised they're still in stock.

And a bit worried what this may mean for Nintendo.

PS4 and Xbox One pre-orders were nothing like this. They took days and days to sell out. I remember going to EB the morning they started in-store pre-orders and there were no lines.

Community guy from BB about Zelda SE:

"There's no word or confirmation on whether Best Buy will "for sure" have these. All the plans are not definite right now. As of now, everything regarding these two editions is TBD".

Cmagus

lol I spit out my tea when I saw that. I was going to order it until I noticed it was the same price as Zelda.

Game looks really fun but give me a break!

Giant Bomb were just discussing it and by the sounds of it the game looks terrible and doesn't play very well.

Moltenix

First dedicated article I've seen on the pro controller. Might be of interest to some of us prospective buyers:

https://www.engadget.com/2017/01/13/nintendo-switch-pro-controller/

It's also worth noting that the Switch's Joy-Con controllers actually feel good when attached to their Grip, which comes with the system. Sure, the buttons are smaller and there's no directional pad, but the Joy-Con were perfectly fine while playing The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. Simply put, there might be less of a reason for gamers to invest in the Pro controller this time around.

Interesting, might be worth saving $90 unless you really want a tradtional d-pad and larger buttons.

On the flip side, if you're looking for an extra controller, a new set of Joycons + grip is like $140 so a Pro controller would end up being cheaper...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom