• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals & Discussion 8: Don't Move Here For The Deals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikey Jr.

I was trying to sell a tv a few years ago.

I got an offer for the exact amount which was odd. Regardless, the guy was like "so we'll meet at night at this parking lot". I told him I preferred daytime, and he was like, "sorry man, can only meet at night".

Yeah,didnt respond back lol.

tiijj

I got an offer for the exact amount which was odd. Regardless, the guy was like "so we'll meet at night at this parking lot". I told him I preferred daytime, and he was like, "sorry man, can only meet at night".

He might be Batman. You missed out meeting the dark knight.

That's why selling through kijiji sucks. I usually (if I ever do) sell mine through forums like RFD or something, it has its own headache but much less than the kijiji ones where you'll meet up/communicate with a lot of weirdos and scum.

eyesradar

I usually just hold firm and ignore all the lowballers / douches. Pretty much never had any issues.

I am okay with meeting up at night too, but only at public places like McD's / Tim's or inside a mall.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.

lol at night and in parking.

yup if that's not a red flag than I don't know what is.

Good on you for holding firm, had a similar experience and just walked away from the guy and ignored all future communication from him. So frustrating when people waste your time like that

I'm probably gonna be called out as an ass for this, but after wasting my time the first meeting, I would have just stood him up the second time. Or at the very least just ignored him completely.

Anyways, congrats on closing the sale. You're a more patient man than me.

You sir deserve a thump up. I don't have this kind of patience...

Thanks. What annoyed me the most was his smile as he told me he was short. That made me so irate.

NYR

Traded in the below at EB for Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and Pro Controller.

Mario Kart 8 - 50
Mario Maker - 56
Super Smash Bros - 50

I asked about the $150 Wii U trade in and they confirmed it is up to corporate and Nintendo if they will actually take more pre orders. Not looking likely.

Yeah it's annoying how people are sometimes on kijiji.

A few years ago, I remember responding to an ad for Dragon Quest VI amongst a huge collection that he had, and he said that all his games were in-box and complete. And when I went to meet him, he gives me a cartridge and was expecting the 40 dollars and went into an argument. Ended up staying firm and not buying since he was being deceptive. As a result, I always ask people to provide photos or else I'm not wasting time being bamboozled.

Managed to find one CIB for 25 dollars thanks to negotiation skills. And holy fuck CIB according to pricecharting is ridiculous at 63 bucks. I guess that's DS rarity for you.

Yeah it's annoying how people are sometimes on kijiji.

A few years ago, I remember responding to an ad for Dragon Quest VI amongst a huge collection that he had, and he said that all his games were in-box and complete. And when I went to meet him, he gives me a cartridge and was expecting the 40 dollars and went into an argument. Ended up staying firm and not buying since he was being deceptive. As a result, I always ask people to provide photos or else I'm not wasting time being bamboozled.

Managed to find one CIB for 25 dollars thanks to negotiation skills. And holy fuck CIB according to pricecharting is ridiculous at 63 bucks. I guess that's DS rarity for you.

i paid $90 bucks for a new copy on amazon.ca for dq6 ds, twice as much as i paid for 4ds and 5ds,

and new North America copies on amazon now go for $300+

europeon copies are more reasonable

Nah its Nintendo, they always do dumb boneheaded shit like this.

The Metro Convention Centre is huge, it can accomodate thousands of people. I dont buy that only people who lined up at 7AM can get in (on a Sunday nontheless lol Nintendo really thinks theyre Gods gift to humanity or something))

Can I just take a moment to point out how STUPID this system is? Line up at 7AM in the hopes I get a ticket for the 3:30 timing?

I had some non gamer friends who were excited to go check it out but not with these dumbass rules in place. Get fucked Nintendo

Woah woah woah, calm down.

The space they have is a small space so it wasn't one of the main rooms. I went yesterday and they only gave out so many tickets because they wanted to give you a chance to play everything. I had a three hour time block yesterday and the only game I didn't get to play (that I wanted to) was Snipperclippers, everything else I got to play once or multiple times.

It may suck that they only had so many tickets available, but i'd argue its far better that the people who were able to get tickets were able to play whatever they wanted without having to wait a long time. The opposite of letting everyone in and only getting to try one game in 3 hours sounds alot worse.

Had my first bad encounter with Kijiji...

That sounds brutal. I actually took a break from using Kijiji for a couple of years over some shit experiences that happened.

- I use to do most of my deals at my house (pickup only) and so when the person would agree to meet me I'd give them my address and they'd give a time that they would arrived at ... only they rarely arrived at that time. If I was lucky it was only half an hour late, but most of the time people seemed to think they could just come whenever the hell they wanted on that day without letting me know. One time in particular a guy came 6 hours later at 1030pm at night... Literally was banging on my door for a game he was suppose to pickup at 4.

Never doing pickup at my house again.

- I once agreed to meet someone in between where I lived and they lived (a 20 minute drive) and they never showed up; I waited 15 minutes and sent a message :/ . I got a message a hour or so later asking me why I wasn't still there...

Not traveling any sort of distance to do a deal.

- Like you, someone once came to my house to buy something for $30, though because he didn't have change and I didn't have change for his two $20's, he thought it was only fair that I accept $20 for it instead... Nope.

People are scumbags.

I recently started using Kijiji again as my sister wanted a Wii for her birthday and it seemed like the best choice to get one. I ran into two issues:

I was buying a Wii with a couple of games and a guitar hero controller when I found out that half of the game boxes didn't have discs inside of them when I checked (ALWAYS CHECK). I opened them right in front of him and was pretty upset to say the least... he gave me a discount, but quite literally he told me before "I tested everything and it all works perfectly fine so there's no need to check..." If it wasn't such a good deal I would have walked away. After cleaning the Wii for an hour or so I everything works fine...

Buyer beware.

- I bought a collection of Wii games that included Mario Galaxy, Donkey Kong Country Returns and Mario Party 8 (and a handful of lesser games) from a seller who neglected to inform me before the sale that half the games didn't include boxes and were in plastic baggies; she said that every game works (she tested them) and the boxes got broken in a move. I got home and tried the games and low and behold half of them were unreadable, including the 3 that I wanted. I did a quick check when I bought them, but I guess I really didn't see the damage until I was directly under a lamp. Luckily I took them to the Beat Goes On and 2 of the 3 that I wanted were successfully resurfaced. I told the guy what happen and he gave me this solid piece of advice:

"Turn your phone flashlight on next time to look at the disc's and if it looks like it's been dragged behind a car, DON'T BUY IT!"

I've gotten some some awesome deals and sold things I didn't want for decent prices quite a bit, but every once in a while something shitty happens.

trixx

Hey if anyone is trying to get a new phone just a heads up the $140 off the huawei honor 8 deal is ending tonight: https://goo.gl/fbjPwm

Deal came in super clutch as I needed a new phone and this phone seems really good for this price! Also comes with a whole bunch of other stuff so it's super sweet, initially I was going to get a nextbit.

O nevermind ends on 31st ill post impressions if i get it tomorrow and anyone is seeking

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Woah woah woah, calm down.

The space they have is a small space so it wasn't one of the main rooms. I went yesterday and they only gave out so many tickets because they wanted to give you a chance to play everything. I had a three hour time block yesterday and the only game I didn't get to play (that I wanted to) was Snipperclippers, everything else I got to play once or multiple times.

It may suck that they only had so many tickets available, but i'd argue its far better that the people who were able to get tickets were able to play whatever they wanted without having to wait a long time. The opposite of letting everyone in and only getting to try one game in 3 hours sounds alot worse.

Whatever it sucks we couldn't go but we still ended up having a good time downtown.

Doesnt really feel like the event was open to the public at all. More people getting in means more people talking about it and more potential sales. Those people lining up at 7am probably dont need a lot of convincing to buy a Switch.

Nintendo can be as conservative as they want with supply chain and marketing operations but as a consumer I'll comment on how the experience is from my end.

Big Chungus

Traded in Mario Kart 8, Smash Bros Wii U, Xenoblade Chronicles X and Uncharted 4, got $202 trade in credit...enough for Zelda: BotW and Pro Controller!

Stopdoor

Man, I thought the D-pad was pretty nice, so it's funny to read bad impressions. Makes me hesitant to share thoughts on the thing, I played a bunch of games but it's not like I got a really focused hands-on.

The S buttons felt weird to get a good grip on and press, the right stick felt weirdly close to the buttons when I played it handheld in Splatoon 2, but I haven't played Splatoon before. Like having the buttons directly vertical to the stick instead of to the side is weird? But it's probably something to get used to.

I didn't actually try it with the Joycon but I feel like Puyo Puyo Tetris would ultimately be fine with the direction buttons? But a platformer like Sonic Mania, I dunno. Control-stick was alright with it I guess.

Also, Joycons are weird for multiplayer. Playing Snipperclips, I want to say "hey press the B button to do this!" to remind my partner, but then realize the buttons are oriented weird and he doesn't even have letters on his. Huh. Shouting out what the controls are is a pretty common activity for me at local multiplayer meetups so this seems like a really bizarre sort of roadblock that ironically doesn't really help new players. I guess I have to start explaining them by their position, which is what the game did?

(and sorry, didn't think I'd ramble this much about the Switch hands-on in the gaming deal thread)

Renewed

That's the thing in something like Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, it wouldn't say press this button but rather "press the button in this position" where the button is highlighted. Makes it seem like saying "press up" or something lol

Still waiting on EB to get Splatoon 2... oh well

Stopdoor

That's the thing in something like Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, it wouldn't say press this button but rather "press the button in this position" where the button is highlighted. Makes it seem like saying "press up" or something lol

Still waiting on EB to get Splatoon 2... oh well

I guess ultimately top, bottom, left, right button could work and almost be easier for casual gamers than random letters, but we'll see.

justinluey

Neo Member
It's weird- I've never heard anything negative about the thing from all the impressions I've watched/read. But both of my friends and I had issues with the quickdrop. It's similar to the Wii U D-Pad. Short, flat and again very stiff.

I used it for Street Fighter and thought it was the best D-pad in a long time. Pulled off everything instantly and that never happens when using a controller for the first time.

23qwerty

Also, Joycons are weird for multiplayer. Playing Snipperclips, I want to say "hey press the B button to do this!" to remind my partner, but then realize the buttons are oriented weird and he doesn't even have letters on his. Huh. Shouting out what the controls are is a pretty common activity for me at local multiplayer meetups so this seems like a really bizarre sort of roadblock that ironically doesn't really help new players. I guess I have to start explaining them by their position, which is what the game did?

(and sorry, didn't think I'd ramble this much about the Switch hands-on in the gaming deal thread)

could probably just say up/down/left/right

i-Jest

it could be the dpads at the event have been damaged over the course of the event

I'm inclined to believe this. ALOT of wear and tear likely went into those controllers during the event. It felt fine when I played SF 2. By the way Violent Ken IS SO MUCH FUN.

I wish I could have used the pro controller to play Sonic Mania though. Mah GAWD that game is gonna be a return to form for the Sonic games. I was very happy playing it, and I used a damn Joycon to play it, which I felt wasn't the best way to play Sonic, or any platformer for that matter.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Had my first bad encounter with Kijiji.
Maybe Guelph is a better city, but I've done several sales and never had a problem. Even the one time I bought something and the guy didn't bring the AC adapter for a driving wheel, he actually didn't flake out on me and got it to me the next day.

I don't know how I'd deal with someone trying to pay less than the agreed price. Yeesh. lol

Lizardus

Maybe Guelph is a better city, but I've done several sales and never had a problem. Even the one time I bought something and the guy didn't bring the AC adapter for a driving wheel, he actually didn't flake out on me and got it to me the next day.

I don't know how I'd deal with someone trying to pay less than the agreed price. Yeesh. lol

Guelph is a wonderful city with wonderful people, I went to GCVI there.

Cru Jones

I'm looking for micro SD/SDHD/SDXC recommendations for the Nintendo Switch.

I know very little about micro SD, SDHD, SDXC cards. My understanding is that the different classifications are for different max capacities.

Then there are write speeds, classes, etc. and that's before you even get into different brands.

I'm looking to purchase from amazon.ca and I've been told I shouldn't bother with third party sellers since they're known to sell knock offs.

Can anyone share which card they've purchased or planning to purchase?

Aonuma

I know very little about micro SD, SDHD, SDXC cards. My understanding is that the different classifications are for different max capacities.

Then there are write speeds, classes, etc. and that's before you even get into different brands.

I'm looking to purchase from amazon.ca and I've been told I shouldn't bother with third party sellers since they're known to sell knock offs.

The safest and cheapest for me anyways was the 128GB SanDisk Ultra micro sd. If I had more money to drop on it I would have gotten the 200GB SanDisk Ultra, but it's almost twice the price. The 200GB SanDisk Ultra one is the best crossing point of affordability, storage space, read/write speeds and reliability as long as you buy it direct from Amazon. I didn't bother with the other largely reliable brands like PNY, Samsung or Silicon Power because on Amazon anyways they're usually at the same price or higher than SanDisk's anyways and often don't perform quite as well then comparing similar lines of cards (SanDisk usually exceeds their quoted transfer speeds by 5-10% or more).

I picked up this one at Best Buy on the weekend (128gb)

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product...spx?path=a7bc4eae0f9634f6e8278a88946e163aen02

IMO 128gb is the lowest size I would go if you are buying your games digitally.

schlew

I picked up this one at Best Buy on the weekend (128gb)

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product...spx?path=a7bc4eae0f9634f6e8278a88946e163aen02

IMO 128gb is the lowest size I would go if you are buying your games digitally.

I bought the exact card, but I was able to price match with Amazon (which is selling for $55 at the time I'm writing this). What's crazy is that Best Buy had that card priced at $99.99 before the price match. If you can't be bothered or unable to get to Best Buy, that Amazon card is sold and shipped by Amazon, not a third party.

Windam

Scaley member
Anyone else's Digimon World say it's arriving on Mar 31?

YmGzXfS.jpg

Isn't this coming out tomorrow? o_O

zroid

Banned
BOOK DEAL

Zelda Arts and Artifacts for $25 at Indigo

There's also a contest where if you pre-order it from Jan 30 - Feb 20, you're entered into a draw for
The Legend of Zelda™: Hyrule Historia by Eiji Aonuma and Akira Himekawa (ISBN No. 9781616550417), one (1) copy of The Legend of Zelda™: Art & Artifacts Limited Edition by Nintendo (ISBN No. 9781506703787), and one (1) Legend of Zelda™ Twilight Princess 10-inch Link Figurine.

apparently you can also enter the contest by writing a short essay on which Zelda game is your favourite :lol

Magnus

Well, for all the worry and stress on GAF about finding Switch Pro controllers, I just called up my EB Games and apparently, they still have a bunch available for pre-order, no problem.

lol

$89 though. Good lord. The Pro Controller doesn't have detchable parts or HD Rumble, right? How in the world are they justifying that price point?

timnich

Are the Switch trade in deals still on at EB? I found a few more games I would like to trade in for a Pro controller, but I fear the deals are over.

zroid

Banned
Well, for all the worry and stress on GAF about finding Switch Pro controllers, I just called up my EB Games and apparently, they still have a bunch available for pre-order, no problem.

lol

$89 though. Good lord. The Pro Controller doesn't have detchable parts or HD Rumble, right? How in the world are they justifying that price point?

it does have HD rumble, I'm sure that's what's cranking up the price of these controllers so much

It's really cool tech but I hope games actually use it to justify the cost -_-

eyesradar

Are the Switch trade in deals still on at EB? I found a few more games I would like to trade in for a Pro controller, but I fear the deals are over.

I believe the trade 3 >$8 games toward 1 free switch game deal and the wii-u $150 trade-in deal are still up till Feb. 26 or so but unfortunatly the 2x TIV deal is done for now.

antibolo

Banned
SanDisk Ultra is what I always recommend to anyone looking to buy an SD card. Amazon has them in stock for a very reasonable price, with Prime shipping.

Don't cheapen out and buy no-name SD cards, they may be unreliable garbage and you'll regret it later.

Lizardus

I don't think I'll be getting the joycon charging grip since I also pre-ordered the Pro controller so I can just use that while they are being charged.

killroy87

Yeah, I've officially gone overboard on controllers (ordered extra joy cons, charging grip, and a pro). But considering I got it all with the trade promo, i don't really care. Game prices will drop, but the ability to get a good deal on these will be much rarer.

Yeah, I've officially gone overboard on controllers (ordered extra joy cons, charging grip, and a pro). But considering I got it all with the trade promo, i don't really care. Game prices will drop, but the ability to get a good deal on these will be much rarer.

Yeah the trade promo is the only reason I'm getting a pro controller. I had 400$ trade credit at the end of it + it killed the tax.

killroy87

Out of curiosity, has Best Buy had any more NES Classics at all in 2017?

Before they were tough to get, but now I feel like they just don't exist.

Windam

Scaley member
Contact them or try updating your shipping speed with the same shipping speed.

Contacting them got me this:
The estimated delivery date is : Monday, February 6, 2017 - Tuesday, February 7, 2017. Since you are a prime member. The order is eligible for released date delivery. Meanwhile I'll keep an eye on your order, once we received the item from the manufacturer, we will ship with higher priority for you. However the estimated delivery date is the maximum time frame. Once we received the item from the manufacturer, we will send you revised estimated delivery date for you.

How has Amazon been bungling preorders for the past few months this badly? I'm assuming the items preordered before Prime shipping is available don't get switched automatically when it does become available so even people with Prime who preordered first get shafted on that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom