• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals & Discussion 8: Don't Move Here For The Deals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luigi87

Ah, quick google search revealed that it didn't get a Vita release. This makes sense then. I was thinking it was odd because most of the series never saw release on Nintendo platforms.

Correct, only Disgaea 1 got a DS version.
D5 portable would be nice... I have D5 on PS4, but I haven't played too much, and admittedly would like portability...

Of course I say this in spite of owning D3 on Vita which I barely played x_x

Anywho, nice that you enjoyed it. I'm also not gonna bother with the Pro controller, at least not until I feel I need a D-Pad.

eyesradar

The always awesome Nintendo booth fella in Sauga told me there will be display demo units shortly before the release day so I didn't bother to go today's event.

My friend who went told me the line-up is crazy...

The HYPE is real!

Lexxism

Don't be giving them ideas!

Edit: Oh wait, you meant a Joycon with a d-pad didn't you.
For some reason I imagined just a D-Pad that would attach to a Joycon.
Yeah. I remember seeing that on their patent. I guess it is pretty much certain it will happen?

BY2K

Membero Americo
-The Pro Controller's D-Pad is absolutely awful. Feels stiff and it's unresponsive. I would much rather use the arrow buttons on the Joycons. Multiple failed Hadoukens, unintentional quick drops in Tetris. Ruined experiences.

Shit, that bad?

Hedgey

Shit, that bad?

It's weird- I've never heard anything negative about the thing from all the impressions I've watched/read. But both of my friends and I had issues with the quickdrop. It's similar to the Wii U D-Pad. Short, flat and again very stiff.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I thought the NSPC's D-pad felt exactly the same as the WUPC's

Agreed, I didn't have a problem, or notice it being different at all. I did only play SFII with it, but I figured I would have noticed immediately.

If there's one thing I had an issue with, it was the analog sticks on the Joycons seems hypersensitive, to the point where you were accidentally changing settings in Bomberman. Happened on a few controllers, but hopefully it's not actually going to be an issue.

zroid

Banned
hmm just called the EB near me and they said they still have "a lot" of pre-orders left for the Zelda SE

debating whether to go and grab one... hmmmmmmmm... I really want that case but $60 extra is kind of yikes

jholmes

One thing worth mentioning to anyone at the event today: If you're overwhelmed by lines, Has-Been Heroes never gets much attention and is pretty fun once you get into it. At the very least it's a chance to sit down.

Also: Try playing Bomberman late and see if they'll put swag (socks) on the line for a four-way game.

There was no situation that I experienced that allow to test dropping the Switch into the dock. Everything was either security tethered with handheld/tabletop mode or locked in for TV mode. I also didn't take the time to look closely at that. I think the Disgaea 5 demo folks let you switch from handheld to TV? Same for Zelda?

They pull it from the dock for the Zelda demo but the Nintendo reps are all over that demo space so I doubt they'd let you put it in or pull it out yourself. Might as well try though.

Nah its Nintendo, they always do dumb boneheaded shit like this.

The Metro Convention Centre is huge, it can accomodate thousands of people. I dont buy that only people who lined up at 7AM can get in (on a Sunday nontheless lol Nintendo really thinks theyre Gods gift to humanity or something))

The Metro Convention Center is huge but the area with the Switch demos is relatively tiny and can probably only hold a couple hundred people.

What was the age range at this Switch event for those who went?

I did Saturday morning and I'd say mostly you were looking at 20s-ish. I'm in my early 30s but didn't feel out of place. Some people brought a kid. Saturday night probably skewed older.

-Joycons are comfy in every configuration. Sticks are a bit short, but Kontrolfreeks could help that. The only issue I had were the SL/SR buttons, but the grip 100% helped.

I don't remember if it was Snipperclips or Skylanders I was playing but I was thinking SL and SR are basically useless on the right Joycon (the one without the D-pad). They're so slim and very recessed into the controller's port area.

i-Jest

hmm just called the EB near me and they said they still have "a lot" of pre-orders left for the Zelda SE

debating whether to go and grab one... hmmmmmmmm... I really want that case but $60 extra is kind of yikes

When have you known a Nintendo SE/CE to stay stocked very long? If you stumbled across it, chances are other will too. The thirst for owning any new Zelda collectable is real right now. If you don't get it, someone else will; god help us if the scalpers get it all. But I get you on that price though, the exchange is shit and it's making things extra expensive. I don't blame you for having thoughts of backing out.

Dorygrant

The nintendo employees let me put the switch in the dock,remove/put back on the joy cons and play with any configuartions I wanted. They had headphones for Zelda but when you put it in handheld mode it lost sound.

I will say joy cons feel more comfortable then a wii mote.

The new pro controller feels amazing and the fact that it has gyro is a god send for splatoon. I think it looks worse visually then the wii u one but the difference in gameplay feeling is crazy good (and I loved wii u pro)

I was surprised at how good arms was, like a more in depth wii boxing/punchout.

I asked if they would do a wii u joy con setup (stick at right top on right joycon) and they looked at me like I was crazy for wanting anything like the wii u lmao.

zroid

Banned
When have you known a Nintendo SE/CE to stay stocked very long? If you stumbled across it, chances are other will too. The thirst for owning any new Zelda collectable is real right now. If you don't get it, someone else will; god help us if the scalpers get it all. But I get you on that price though, the exchange is shit and it's making things extra expensive. I don't blame you for having thoughts of backing out.
yeah it's 100% the exchange rate that's killing it for me right now. it this thing were $100 cad I wouldn't even think twice.

SickBoy

Looks like EB extended the $150 WiiU Switch trade in for a other month, out to Feb 26. Might be able to snag a pre order in the second round, maybe?

2x is over today. Going to go trade in Mario Kart for Mario Kart Deluxe.

https://www.ebgames.ca/Recycled Offers/Index

Between this 2x deal, Trade 3 and the PS4 Pro last year, I basically traded away anything that's remotely tradeable that I don't want to keep long term -- finished the job with Mario Kart yesterday.

I wish I could dump Mario Party without my children losing it :)

But I can't complain: outside of the case I bought through Amazon, everything I want for the machine until Splatoon comes out is paid for. If I had three more games worth $8, I'd trade for Arms, too, but I still have reservations on that one.

jholmes

But I can't complain: outside of the case I bought through Amazon, everything I want for the machine until Splatoon comes out is paid for. If I had three more games worth $8, I'd trade for Arms, too, but I still have reservations on that one.

This is just one man's opinion but Arms is definitely the Switch game I was most underwhelmed by. It looks good, it plays fun, but if you don't like fighting games I don't think this will change your mind.

Actually Splatoon 2 didn't wow me either but it also didn't disappoint.

I had some issues with certain parts that absolutely infuriated me(trico not eating a barrel for 15 mins, and the like. Maneuvering the cage is bad and completely sadistic) but man the emotional impact of the last hour is just stellar beyond words.

Really? I just held the barrels in my hands and trico just ate them that way. The cage part was frustrating yeah lol

Whatever complaints I did have with the game I considered them to be minor. Overall, it was a great gaming experience. I enjoyed it from start to end.

Really? I just held the barrels in my hands and trico just ate them that way. The cage part was frustrating yeah lol

Whatever complaints I did have with the game I considered them to be minor. Overall, it was a great gaming experience. I enjoyed it from start to end.

Same, I had zero frustration with this game. I almost didn't buy it after seeing some of the comments about this and people getting stuck, thankfully my experience was pretty much perfect.

If you have a dog, his actions ( and reactions ) are totally normal.

The nintendo employees let me put the switch in the dock,remove/put back on the joy cons and play with any configuartions I wanted. They had headphones for Zelda but when you put it in handheld mode it lost sound.

This may sound stupid, but was the headphone connected to the console or the TV?

From reading some of the threads and replys, guess I should try and preorder a pro controller today. Any other accessories that may be a good idea to preorder at EB games?

How do I check that it is glass? Drop it? LOL

Edit: I spoke to Jenna, one of the reps, she confirmed that the console is indeed made of glass and not plastic.

Picked up the pro controller as well today at the EB in downtown YEG. They only had the SE of Zelda available in case you wanted to know (didn't preorder it though, going digital I think)

chrono01

Ugh, I just found out I missed the Zelda: BotW SE pre-orders. :/

Oh well, there's always Best Buy, but I wanted that Amazon Prime discount...

That 2x trade in deal at EB is pretty great. Took in a stack of games and ended up with $250 bucks worth of credit. Paid off Zelda, Mario Kart and a Pro Controller.

I kinda wish I took more in now since I still have some games floating around I should get rid of. Oh well.

Yesterday I traded in TLG and Starfox Zero

I now have a total of $550 credit towards the Switch.

Just played Mario Kart Deluxe, Bomberman, ARMS and Snipperclips.

Snipperclips was the surprise for me. Very fun coop game. ARMS has potential to be in an esports tournament.

Gonna play 1 2 Switch, Splatoon 2 and SF2 then head out.

X-Factor

I asked about that. The Nintendo rep turned off the volume on the Switch when it was undocked on purpose at the event.

Even most of the TV displays at the Toronto Switch event had very low TV volume.
Well except for Just Dance 2017 and the 1, 2 Switch demonstrations that were inside soundproof booths.

All stations had a Nintendo rep stand or sit next to you to talk about the game or controls.
That is why I think the volume was low on all TV displays.

Wait what?

Had my first bad encounter with Kijiji.

- I'm selling a game I had an extra copy of at a firm price.

- Buyer contacts me and asks for a discount, I politely decline saying the price is firm.

- He says he'll still buy it and we agree to meet up the next day after exchanging contact information.

- We meet up, he gives me the money, says that its $5 short as he hands it to me, and asks if that's fine.

- I say no and he then tells me "its only $5 dollars short, is it that big of a deal?".

- I stand firm and say its not about the money, its now about the principle of it, and him agreeing to the price I wanted, and then shortchanging me at the time of the meeting, hoping I'd think it wasn't worth the hassle. I tell him I'm in no particular rush to sell this.

- He asks me if there's an ATM nearby, I tell him that there's a TD right across the parking lot from where we are. He says that he doesn't have an account there, asks if there's an RBC nearby, and I tell him where it's located. He says that it's too far to go there since he came by bus and it would take him a while to walk there, which was technically true. (I also didn't want to wait in my car for him to come back)

- He then asks to pay the $5 difference by e-transfer. I screamed internally, but I said no, I'd rather not involve online transactions for a kijiji sale.

- He asks to meet up tomorrow at his work so he could pay me the difference (he kept mentioning during our discussion about how it was just $5), and I say fine, since his work was actually more convenient for me to get to, but I didn't tell him that part.

- We agree to meet up the next day (which is actually today). I go and sit in my car, tell my family who's waiting for me inside what happened, and then:

- I get a phone call.

- It's the buyer.

- He asks if I came by car, and if so, if I could give him a ride to the RBC to get the $5.

- I scream internally.

FIN

Of course, I told him no. lol

We met up today and he gave me the correct amount and I gave him his game.

Some people. lol

Ventara

Had my first bad encounter with Kijiji.

I'm probably gonna be called out as an ass for this, but after wasting my time the first meeting, I would have just stood him up the second time. Or at the very least just ignored him completely.

Anyways, congrats on closing the sale. You're a more patient man than me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom