• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals & Discussion 8: Don't Move Here For The Deals

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went to the Toronto Switch Event today and after I left I decided that I really want to invest in a pro controller. Though playing Zelda with the 2 Joycones while mobile is great, playing it with them inside the plastic grip didn't compare to the Pro controller.

Dam, $90 down the drain!

etta

my hard graphic balls
Hmm, 25$ off Infinite Warfare at EB. But hearing the XBONE version has performance problems, is that still the case?

Girlfriend rather likes COD Zombies so I've been meaning to get one of them so we can play coop. Or any other recommendations?
I played the campaign with a mostly solid 60fps, and the few hours I spent in Zombies was locked 60fps. I love the Spaceland theme, the new DLC "Cabin in the woods" one looks pretty cool as well but I haven't bought it yet.
I say go for it if you have the funds, it's a nice package for the campaign + zombies. I don't recommend the multiplayer portion, though. Modern Warfare all the way on that front.

nath999

Damn I honestly thought I would be able to stroll into a EBgames after I was done with Tales of Berseria and pick up Yakuza 0 but there is no stock in any store within the GTA. Best Buy showing out of stock and Amazon showing a ship date of 1 to 2 months. I just ordered one on EBgames.ca hopefully their stock count is right.

Xbudz

Secured a Pro Controller for launch day at EBGames.
I think I'd rather play Zelda with something more comfortable than the joycons.

nadozza

I went to the Toronto Switch Event today and after I left I decided that I really want to invest in a pro controller. Though playing Zelda with the 2 Joycones while mobile is great, playing it with them inside the plastic grip didn't compare to the Pro controller.

Dam, $90 down the drain!

Agreed, the pro was comfy as hell.

The dog controller wasn't bad, though. I could see most people being just fine with it alone.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I liked all the controller setups except for the sideways single joycons. They're just terrible like that, but great with the grip, held like Wii Remotes, etc. Definitely getting a Pro Controller though. Convenience and a Dpad.

My one regret was I didn't get to play a game with separated JoyCons which I am eying as my control scheme of choice (except ARMS, but that's not really the same thing obviously)

I did check out the JoyCon Grip though, it felt pretty good. I think I can manage without a Pro Controller at launch. $90 is just nope tier for a controller that's mostly redundant. That being said, I said the same thing about the redundancy of the Wii U Pro Controller and when I finally got it after a couple years I was so happy with my decision. :p

We did it with Sonic. It's playable, but not optimal at all. You have everything shoved to one side, either the analog, or the buttons, depending on which end you get. It's just not ideal at all and I could only ever see using it in a situation for like.. 8 player Bomberman.

zroid

Banned
My one regret was I didn't get to play a game with separated JoyCons which I am eying as my control scheme of choice (except ARMS, but that's not really the same thing obviously)

I did check out the JoyCon Grip though, it felt pretty good. I think I can manage without a Pro Controller at launch. $90 is just nope tier for a controller that's mostly redundant. That being said, I said the same thing about the redundancy of the Wii U Pro Controller and when I finally got it after a couple years I was so happy with my decision. :p

zroid

Banned
We did it with Sonic. It's playable, but not optimal at all. You have everything shoved to one side, either the analog, or the buttons, depending on which end you get. It's just not ideal at all and I could only ever see using it in a situation for like.. 8 player Bomberman.

I actually meant like holding them Wiimote-Nunchuk style as opposed to in a grip or attached to the console

I don't really mind the sideways style, it's serviceable enough. I think I prefer the Right JoyCon though. I think I played Snipperclips with the left one and Sonic with the right one.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
It's a terrible game. I have every CoD ever, hardcore CoD guy, put in days on MO and I can tell you it is terrible. The SP is unique, I will give it that, but it has no depth and is a boring story. I would not get it. Just my opinon, tons of news games coming out here more worth your cash.
It's the best campaign since MW2 probably, but that's about it.

i-Jest

With the games I've played on the Switch, the best way to play is on the pro controller. Playing Mario Kart 8, Sonic Mania, and Street Fighter 2 is best done on the pro controller. I can see the appeal in the Joycon but I need my standardized format to play.

Gonna try to play Zelda before I leave and get a feel for it.

I was told the Switch Event is open to the public on Sunday. I'll try to get confirmation for that before I leave too. Want my friends to try the new console out.

I was surprised they didn't have a Mario Odyssey demo ready to play.

With the games I've played on the Switch, the best way to play is on the pro controller. Playing Mario Kart 8, Sonic Mania, and Street Fighter 2 is best done on the pro controller. I can see the appeal in the Joycon but I need my standardized format to play.

Gonna try to play Zelda before I leave and get a feel for it.

I was told the Switch Event is open to the public on Sunday. I'll try to get confirmation for that before I leave too. Want my friends to try the new console out.

I was surprised they didn't have a Mario Odyssey demo ready to play.

Mario wasn't even playable at E3 so it's no surprise :-/

Tiktaalik

I gotta say RE7 impressions make me want to get a PS VR and PS Pro. Maybe I should have jumped on that PS Pro trade in deal from EB Games back when the Pro launched.

What's the best way to get a PS Pro now? Does anyone know what would a PS4 trade for now?

Lexxism

I gotta say RE7 impressions make me want to get a PS VR and PS Pro. Maybe I should have jumped on that PS Pro trade in deal from EB Games back when the Pro launched.

What's the best way to get a PS Pro now? Does anyone know what would a PS4 trade for now?
The PS4 value that time was $170. It went up to $210 because of the trade-in promo. I guess it might still be $170?

CRA5H

I played RE7 on PSVR at work last night. Most frightening thing I've ever done in video games. The immersion is simply out of this world.

Side note.. don't play with jerk friends in the room. They will scare you out of no where.

Firestorm

EB Games in store now has Zelda Special Edition available.

Did Trade 3 for the regular edition with Mario 3D World, Kid Icarus Uprising, and MGS5: Phantom Pain

Traded in Mario Maker ($56 after 2x) and Uncharted 4 ($48 after 2x) towards my Switch.

Promo ends tomorrow!

Ryde3

Dam, $90 down the drain!

That's funny I also went to the event today and now I think I'm going to cancel my Pro controller order, and get more joy-cons. I really liked it them in the grip, it was alot more comfortable then I expected. I'll probably grab a charging grip too.

Fantastic event, can't wait to play more Zelda. I had such a good time and the hardware feels great. I wanted to see the OS but all in time I suppose.

Lizardus

I ordered a 12 month xbox gold code from Costco last night and got the 'Order Received' email shortly after. Then today, I got the "Order Shipped" email with shipping method being "Electronic Delivery". There will be another email with the code, right? Am I missing something here?

To those who went to the toronto switch event, is the screen glass or plastic?

Say something about the HD Rumble if you had a chance to experience it. Is it really as good as people say? Did Zelda use it?

zroid

Banned
EB Games in store now has Zelda Special Edition available.

Did Trade 3 for the regular edition with Mario 3D World, Kid Icarus Uprising, and MGS5: Phantom Pain

Traded in Mario Maker ($56 after 2x) and Uncharted 4 ($48 after 2x) towards my Switch.

Promo ends tomorrow!

How much is the SE? I have Zelda paid off with the trade 3 deal but I think I should be able to transfer the $80 credit to the SE if I wanted to...

that said, it's probably sold out anyways

BY2K

Membero Americo
So with selling my Wii U and my games, I effectively only paid 150$ for my Switch and got Zelda for 5$.

I was able to also pre-order a Switch Pro Controller.

Apparently the EBGames at Plaza Saint-Hubert in Montreal received the most in the area.

Anybody got lucky with those? They sold out pretty quickly online.

killroy87

So with selling my Wii U and my games, I effectively only paid 150$ for my Switch and got Zelda for 5$.

I was able to also pre-order a Switch Pro Controller.

Apparently the EBGames at Plaza Saint-Hubert in Montreal received the most in the area.

Anybody got lucky with those? They sold out pretty quickly online.

My EB was still taking Pro Controllers today, and thats after a couple days. They don't seem to be as limited as other things. I'm also confident they'll be readily available soon after launch, once word spreads how superfluous they are.

jholmes

I had fun at the Switch event but I sat in the Mario Kart prop they had set up and that broke the screen in my New 3DS... so I came out annoyed at Nintendo.

Latest from the land of pre-order panic: when I ordered my Switch at my local EB they put me on a waiting list for the Zelda Special Edition as soon as the allocation was available. Received a call today with a deadline to call back by 6pm. Missed the call. We'll see when they open tomorrow how lenient they are and how quickly the allocation was snapped up by whoever was next on the list.

killroy87

Latest from the land of pre-order panic: when I ordered my Switch at my local EB they put me on a waiting list for the Zelda Special Edition as soon as the allocation was available. Received a call today with a deadline to call back by 6pm. Missed the call. We'll see when they open tomorrow how lenient they are and how quickly the allocation was snapped up by whoever was next on the list.

To be honest, I'm more impressed at them for actually creating and honouring a wait list. That certainly isn't store policy.

To be honest, I'm more impressed at them for actually creating and honouring a wait list. That certainly isn't store policy.

No, I assumed it wasn't; we all know how EB can be. I've lucked out in the past at this location with a helpful manager who assisted me in a pinch when they sold out of Fire Emblem Fates. On the Switch pre-order day, nobody there seemed to know that a Special Edition distinct from the Master Edition was even coming, but every customer was asking about it, so they began to keep track. I don't expect I'll get mine at this point, given how much interest there was, but who knows what their allocation was like (or how many other people missed their call or were put off by the price of the SE).

They called to offer me priority on the Pro Controller as well, though I declined.

eyesradar

The Trade-In for Switch deal ends tomorrow right?

Finished
all two alternative endings in
RE7 today, what an experience! Though the story is kinda messy/weak (personal opinion), overall great game. I think it's a perfect soft-reboot to the series. Hats-off to those who played in VR. You guys must have balls of steel.

Then I traded it in at my local EB, got $30x2 towards the NS pre-order. I actually only spent $49.99+tax for this game by taking the pre-order deal at Walmart.ca...

Then I got home and found another $49.99 pre-order from Amazon.ca sitting in the mailbox which I totally forgot. I guess to trade the new copy in to EB directly is not bad? The credit would be tax-free right? Cant believe I'm making money out of pre-ordering extra copies...

Sealtest

Can someone who went to the switch event tell me just how tight the drop is in the dock? Is there chances of the system getting extremely scuffed at the bottom when dropping it in?

Renewed

There was no situation that I experienced that allow to test dropping the Switch into the dock. Everything was either security tethered with handheld/tabletop mode or locked in for TV mode. I also didn't take the time to look closely at that. I think the Disgaea 5 demo folks let you switch from handheld to TV? Same for Zelda?

i-Jest

Can someone who went to the switch event tell me just how tight the drop is in the dock? Is there chances of the system getting extremely scuffed at the bottom when dropping it in?

Never got to actually pick it up from the dock. I played on pro controller or Joycon. It seemed like the console was firmly docked with no trouble of being removed, from what I observed. Are you hearing something different from first impressions?

To All Guide Collectors

Horizon Zero Dawn is getting the Future Press treatment. The guide is currently up for preorder on Amazon UK/US. Considering its a Future Press guide, I think it's best to get a preorder in as opposed to paying the scalper price later.

The artbook is also up for preorder on Amazon US/CAD.

Sealtest

Are you hearing something different from first impressions?.

Nah my worry comes from looking at this picture and wondering just how scratched the bottom of the console will get.

ub1x111hfhcy.jpg

Finished The Last Guardian this morning

Wow, that was worth it
I had some issues with certain parts that absolutely infuriated me(trico not eating a barrel for 15 mins, and the like. Maneuvering the cage is bad and completely sadistic) but man the emotional impact of the last hour is just stellar beyond words.

Lined up this morning for the switch event (Toronto) at 730 AM. Got my wristband for the 330 PM session. Any other GAFers here? I honestly just want to try out the Home menu and UI not so much Zelda because spoilers.

I'll post impressions later. Some guy was screaming in the line up and I think security had to intervene.

CRA5H

If there's anything I learned from today's event is to never underestimate Nintendo fanboys, even on a Sunday with the late subway times.

Lexxism

Lined up this morning for the switch event (Toronto) at 730 AM. Got my wristband for the 330 PM session. Any other GAFers here? I honestly just want to try out the Home menu and UI not so much Zelda because spoilers.

I'll post impressions later. Some guy was screaming in the line up and I think security had to intervene.
Try checking the screen too if it is plastic or glass. Someone said it was 99.99% glass. I want to hear more impression on it.

Having been there last night, the Switch UI and home screens are disabled. I tried accessing them, but no such luck.

Having been there last night, the Switch UI and home screens are disabled. I tried accessing them, but no such luck.

Same, the screenshot/share button is also disabled.

So do folks have to line-up now to get into I guess the 3:30PM show? I was at the 10AM-1:30PM show yesterday... only made it at 12:30PM. :p

Wanted to go back today, but I want to know if I can even get in if I leave in the afternoon. :p

Chilikar

Just a heads up to fellow Torontonians... The switch event is at full capacity for the whole day. No more entry unless you have the wristband now. I took the go train to get into the event :(

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.

Can I just take a moment to point out how STUPID this system is? Line up at 7AM in the hopes I get a ticket for the 3:30 timing?

I had some non gamer friends who were excited to go check it out but not with these dumbass rules in place. Get fucked Nintendo

Just a heads up to fellow Torontonians... The switch event is at full capacity for the whole day. No more entry unless you have the wristband now. I took the go train to get into the event :(

Oh wow, really? I guess they are giving out all of the space for the whole day now instead after each session.

Thanks for the heads up, saves me the trouble. :)

Really sorry for those who can't go today then. :(

Chilikar

Oh wow, really? I guess they are giving out all of the space for the whole day now instead after each session.

Yep. I'm sitting here dumbfounded since I came here for nothing. Wish they could've updated the webpage or something saying it was full

Can I just take a moment to point out how STUPID this system is? Line up at 7AM in the hopes I get a ticket for the 3:30 timing?

I had some non gamer friends who were excited to go check it out but not with these dumbass rules in place. Get fucked Nintendo

That kind of limitation is not so much Nintendo, but the venue/government. There are laws about how many people can be in a place at a time. I have no doubt Nintendo would prefer that everyone got to try the Switch.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.

Yep. I'm sitting here dumbfounded since I came here for nothing. Wish they could've updated the webpage or something saying it was full

That kind of limitation is not so much Nintendo, but the venue/government. There are laws about how many people can be in a place at a time. I have no doubt Nintendo would prefer that everyone got to try the Switch.

Nah its Nintendo, they always do dumb boneheaded shit like this.

The Metro Convention Centre is huge, it can accomodate thousands of people. I dont buy that only people who lined up at 7AM can get in (on a Sunday nontheless lol Nintendo really thinks theyre Gods gift to humanity or something))

Hedgey

Went to the Switch event last night, had a great time.
My two major takeaways:
-The Pro Controller's D-Pad is absolutely awful. Feels stiff and it's unresponsive. I would much rather use the arrow buttons on the Joycons. Multiple failed Hadoukens, unintentional quick drops in Tetris. Ruined experiences.
-Joycons are comfy in every configuration. Sticks are a bit short, but Kontrolfreeks could help that. The only issue I had were the SL/SR buttons, but the grip 100% helped.

Played:
Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Has Been Heroes (THIS GAME IS INCREDIBLE)
Skylanders (How can you make Bowser this boring?)
ARMS (I want to play this game without motion control)
Sonic Mania (Insta-buy)
Mario Kart 8 DX
Puyo Puyo Tetris
Ultra Street Fighter II
1-2 Switch (Balls and Milk)
Fast RMX (Insta-buy for me)

Did not play:
Snipperclips (Long line, long demo time, it's out in March anyway, I already know I'm gonna buy it.)
Splatoon 2 (Long line, buying anyway)
Just Dance 2017 (This game should not have been at the event)
Super Bomberman R (I'm good)
Disgaea 5 (Remind me why this needs to be on the Switch? lol)

Wasn't allowed to plug headphones in to test the max volume of the unit. I'm assuming it's not good since they didn't want to show it off.
I learned for the first time that the Switch system has speakers on it. How on Earth did I not realize this? Maybe outlets just omitted it because it was obvious? Didn't even realize.
Agency/Nintendo did a good job of training the staff on each game. By today they will definitely be experts, lol.
Overall, I'm happy with what I played and I'm excited to get my launch unit.
Not buying the Pro controller. Will not pay $100 for a low build quality D-Pad.

No home button, no screenshot button, no UI.

Hedgey

"Disgaea 5 (Remind me why this needs to be on the Switch? lol)" because disgaea games are best on handhelds

Ah, quick google search revealed that it didn't get a Vita release. This makes sense then. I was thinking it was odd because most of the series never saw release on Nintendo platforms.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom