• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals & Discussion 8: Don't Move Here For The Deals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teeth

Quick question about Internet and wifi. I got shaw 150 yesterday , Xbox s is upstairs , wifi is 92 percent strong. I only get speeds of about 40 mb a sec. ok I open ports on router for Xbox . Nat is open on Xbox. Still slow speeds of about 40 mb. Ok I move my Xbox right next to my modem . I only get about 56 mb/sec
Wifi 100 percent strength.
Is the normal to get speeds like that?
If I buy a router will that make any difference? thanks in advance . I'm not good with computers

Yes, that is normal if you are connecting with 802.11n or 802.11g on 2.4GHz, which may be all that your router can broadcast.

Maximum throughput of 802.11g is 54 Mbps
Maximum throughput of 802.11n on 2.4GHz IN MOST CASES is around 70Mbps, but you will likely cap out at 54Mbps due to interference.

A wired connection will not have this limitation.

It doesn't matter how fast your subscribed internet speed is, your wifi will create this limitation if it operates on the 2.4GHz spectrum (which 90% do). You can get a 5GHz spectrum router that runs on 802.11ac which will potentially be able to get 100MBps (though in most real world situations, it will be ~80MBps depending on distance and devices involved). Also, the original Xbox One does not have a 802.11ac antennae, only the new Slims do.

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
I'll have to change my payment infos on my Switch preorder at the Source in the next couple of days... Support chat told me it's doable, but I'm still very afraid I'll just lose my preorder (I've had a lot more negative experiences with the Source than positive ones)...

Anyone can reassure me and confirm this is something they can do without f*cking it up?

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Man, reading that thread about people who don't take their shoes off inside. Had no idea that apparently most Americans seem to waltz around inside their homes with their shoes on. Honestly, growing up, I don't think I've ever met anyone who does that shit here. The weirdest thing is apparently if you don't agree with it, your some kind of germaphobe. What a thread.

You should have seen the thread about bagged milk.

"Doesnt the bag collapse on itself?"

"Doesnt it fall out of the jug when pouring"

"Doesnt the milk spoil if the bags been cut open"

"Doesnt the bag rip"

Its like any other way of doing things besides their own is such a foreign concept to them. As if the people involved in supply chain and shipping didnt already think of all these issues.

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
Sometimes I pour milk from a bag without my shoes on.

lol I always wondered why people wore their shoes at home on tv and I just assumed it was an american thing. Ridiculous.

Ugh that newegg stuff is tempting but spending too much on switch as it is even with trade in deals.

RS4-

The shoes indoor thing is hilarious. It's something we've been joking about Americans for years, because that shit wouldn't fly here at all.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Got my first call from an Intelcom dummy just now. He arrived at the entrance of my workplace and had no idea what to do next.

"Instructions unclear. Threw parcel at the door and ran away"

Robert807

Yes, that is normal if you are connecting with 802.11n or 802.11g on 2.4GHz, which may be all that your router can broadcast.

Maximum throughput of 802.11g is 54 Mbps
Maximum throughput of 802.11n on 2.4GHz IN MOST CASES is around 70Mbps, but you will likely cap out at 54Mbps due to interference.

A wired connection will not have this limitation.

It doesn't matter how fast your subscribed internet speed is, your wifi will create this limitation if it operates on the 2.4GHz spectrum (which 90% do). You can get a 5GHz spectrum router that runs on 802.11ac which will potentially be able to get 100MBps (though in most real world situations, it will be ~80MBps depending on distance and devices involved). Also, the original Xbox One does not have a 802.11ac antennae, only the new Slims do.

Thank you so much for the reply
One last question
Would this product be worth it to buy for wifi or am I wasting my money ?

https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Produ...ryPages-_-NA&gclid=COaIh7CmgdICFQkHaQod2WgB7w

Palehorse

Ok All, time for real talk. I did a search of the thread but came up with limited results.

I just ordered the BOTW SE from Amazon, went with the free Prime trial...

I like the 20% savings. I'm only really interested in the carry case, and after the Prime discount the SE is only an extra $26.

I currently have the Switch and regular edition of BOTW preordered at EB so I'm sure to get them release day. The real question is: What are the odds I get the SE from Amazon on release day??? Low to nil?

I can't possibly wait a weekend to get the SE if it's late. I just....I just can't. I'm taking a day off from work for this.

I guess it comes down to this: Do I want the assurance of that Friday release? Or do I want to abandon the Friday and just play it when I get it via Amazon?

You can see the bind I'm in.

I have a Switch pre-order from Best Buy but I had to book a flight for March 4 and won't be back for ten days.
Has anybody pre-ordered from Best Buy before? If so, does the stuff arrive on the release day or later on?
I'll have to cancel my order if it's later on.

killroy87

I have a Switch pre-order from Best Buy but I had to book a flight for March 4 and won't be back for ten days.
Has anybody pre-ordered from Best Buy before? If so, does the stuff arrive on the release day or later on?

For me (Vancouver) they're usually good about release day shipping. It's never guaranteed, but they're the most reliable.

terrible

Banned
Ok All, time for real talk. I did a search of the thread but came up with limited results.

I just ordered the BOTW SE from Amazon, went with the free Prime trial...

I like the 20% savings. I'm only really interested in the carry case, and after the Prime discount the SE is only an extra $26.

I currently have the Switch and regular edition of BOTW preordered at EB so I'm sure to get them release day. The real question is: What are the odds I get the SE from Amazon on release day??? Low to nil?

I can't possibly wait a weekend to get the SE if it's late. I just....I just can't. I'm taking a day off from work for this.

I guess it comes down to this: Do I want the assurance of that Friday release? Or do I want to abandon the Friday and just play it when I get it via Amazon?

You can see the bind I'm in.
Never bank on Amazon getting you getting anything on time. Ever. Only pain follows. If it's really that important to you and it's an in-store order then EB Games is your best bet.

Cynar

Yeah, that's a massive cultural difference between Canada and America. I honestly never knew keeping shoes on was a thing either. It blew my mind. And now when I watch an American sitcom, I can't not notice.
Fuck. You're right. I never thought about it. What the hell! Hahaha

Dot-N-Run

They are usually pretty good with games but it is always a gamble. I have no idea about them shipping hardware on release date though.

Also, whenever they have shipped anything for me the carrier (usually Canada Post) never leaves it by the door if I'm out. They always just leave a slip, and you can only pick it up the following day.

Kiro

They are usually pretty good with games but it is always a gamble. I have no idea about them shipping hardware on release date though.

Also, whenever they have shipped anything for me the carrier (usually Canada Post) never leaves it by the door if I'm out. They always just leave a slip, and you can only pick it up the following day.

This is my fear. I have school and work on Friday and I will get home only to find out I have to wait ANOTHER 14 hours or whatever to play. Let's hope it comes before 11AM on Friday...

DownLoad

Complain to Amazon about that and post logs!

Personally, every time I've complained about intelcom, Amazon reps would essentially shrug and tell me "Nothing we can do about it" and hang up on me (not even joking. They'd give me the "Any other questions? *Insta-disconnect*").

I remember one time intelcom guy left my Sennheiser package outside of my complex, "hiding" behind my neighbour's parking spot's block. My god was I furious.

Since then shipped everything to work with no issues.

killroy87

Holy crap! That's a lot of fucking money. I was a maniac for Amiibo during Smash, but this is too much, will buy the Archer and fuck the rest.

They really are stretching their luck with that pricing.

Yeah, it's pretty dumb. I know the dollar is gotten worse, but I'm very skeptical that it's gotten bad enough so that a standard amiibo should have gone from $13.99 to $21.99.

Bronetta

Teeth

Thank you so much for the reply
One last question
Would this product be worth it to buy for wifi or am I wasting my money ?

https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Produ...ryPages-_-NA&gclid=COaIh7CmgdICFQkHaQod2WgB7w

If you want my honest opinion as someone who worked as an engineer for an ISP for two years and worked with wifi implementation everyday, it's this:

Wifi is fucking terrible.

It's unidirectional (except for the newest, hottest implementations that almost no one has), inherently lossy, inherently jittery, inherently not made for strict real time situations like gaming. I would pick a wired connection over a wifi connection in 100% of cases. The only way I wouldn't use a wired connection is if I was in a house where getting a wired connection was nearly impossible. Spending $150-300 on a high end wifi router? Look into how much it would cost to run a cat5E cable to your system. But if you have to be on wifi because of your house limitations know these things:

1) If you have an Xbox One (not Slim), it doesn't have 802.11ac support, so no matter what fancy router you get, you'll never get over 60mbps over wifi anyway.

2) Even if you have a XBOSlim, getting above 100mbps over wifi ac is nearly a pipe dream unless you have your house encased in lead and you have zero walls/floors between your router and your Xbox. In real world situations, you'll likely see somewhere between 70-95mbps throughput (with tons of jitter) on a nice 802.11ac connection.

3) You have to think about what you're actually getting out of the really high speeds (above 150mbps). You can only pull down as fast as the thing you're connecting to can put up. If you're looking for fast throughput for downloading games, Microsoft is never going to upload to you that fast. Just because your connection speedtests at theoretically 150mbps doesn't mean that places can send you data that fast.

4) If you're looking for low ping to PWN NOOBS, you shouldn't be on wifi because the error correction and hamming codes that have to be layered on top of wifi packets add a shit ton of padding to your latency anyway. Oh, and jitter is a very real problem at high speeds too. You'll get non-uniform packet delivery times which most games will try to smooth, which will give you a worst-case scenario situation anyway. And not to mention the low tick-rate servers for most console games means that having a super fast connection just means you get to be more frustrated when everyone else is skipping around.

If I were you and I was forced onto wifi, I would just drop my subscription to a 50mbps plan to save money and be thankful that I was still getting speeds faster than 95% of the Canadian population (yes, you read that right, 80% of Canada uses internet speeds of 5-10Mbps).

But if you are willing to spend some insane cash, I've heard some nice things about the Nighthawk routers, but they are super expensive:

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00NFS8088/

I never got the chance to personally test one (and a lot of the reviews I read were for getting high throughput in relatively small-ish locations, like apartments with tons of interference, not necessarily houses with far distances), but they review really well.

Robert807

If you want my honest opinion as someone who worked as an engineer for an ISP for two years and worked with wifi implementation everyday, it's this:

Wifi is fucking terrible.

It's unidirectional (except for the newest, hottest implementations that almost no one has), inherently lossy, inherently jittery, inherently not made for strict real time situations like gaming. I would pick a wired connection over a wifi connection in 100% of cases. The only way I wouldn't use a wired connection is if I was in a house where getting a wired connection was nearly impossible. Spending $150-300 on a high end wifi router? Look into how much it would cost to run a cat5E cable to your system. But if you have to be on wifi because of your house limitations know these things:

1) If you have an Xbox One (not Slim), it doesn't have 802.11ac support, so no matter what fancy router you get, you'll never get over 60mbps over wifi anyway.

2) Even if you have a XBOSlim, getting above 100mbps over wifi ac is nearly a pipe dream unless you have your house encased in lead and you have zero walls/floors between your router and your Xbox. In real world situations, you'll likely see somewhere between 70-95mbps throughput (with tons of jitter) on a nice 802.11ac connection.

3) You have to think about what you're actually getting out of the really high speeds (above 150mbps). You can only pull down as fast as the thing you're connecting to can put up. If you're looking for fast throughput for downloading games, Microsoft is never going to upload to you that fast. Just because your connection speedtests at theoretically 150mbps doesn't mean that places can send you data that fast.

4) If you're looking for low ping to PWN NOOBS, you shouldn't be on wifi because the error correction and hamming codes that have to be layered on top of wifi packets add a shit ton of padding to your latency anyway. Oh, and jitter is a very real problem at high speeds too. You'll get non-uniform packet delivery times which most games will try to smooth, which will give you a worst-case scenario situation anyway. And not to mention the low tick-rate servers for most console games means that having a super fast connection just means you get to be more frustrated when everyone else is skipping around.

If I were you and I was forced onto wifi, I would just drop my subscription to a 50mbps plan to save money and be thankful that I was still getting speeds faster than 95% of the Canadian population (yes, you read that right, 80% of Canada uses internet speeds of 5-10Mbps).

But if you are willing to spend some insane cash, I've heard some nice things about the Nighthawk routers, but they are super expensive:

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00NFS8088/

I never got the chance to personally test one (and a lot of the reviews I read were for getting high throughput in relatively small-ish locations, like apartments with tons of interference, not necessarily houses with far distances), but they review really well.
Thank you so much for the help
I'll just call shaw to come over and hardware to the upstairs
Again thank you so much

I really wish Amazon would allow you to set a preference of delivery service. If I could just select Canada Post Everytime I'd be much more inclined to buy things more frequently from them. Because I live in an apartment building it feels like I'm rolling the dice on whether I actually get my delivery delivered (Canada Post) or I have to pick it up somewhere else anyway (UPS, Purolator...) at which point I might as well have just gone to the mall.

That would be a very consumer friendly option.

iphys

The shoes indoor thing is hilarious. It's something we've been joking about Americans for years, because that shit wouldn't fly here at all.

We couldn't do that in the winter with our big snowy boots. Funny thing was I used to wear sandals around university in the winter so I wouldn't have to wear my boots all day, and every time there was a major snowfall people used to freak out wondering how I got to university in sandals.

you'll probably get it on release day

I really wish Amazon would allow you to set a preference of delivery service. If I could just select Canada Post Everytime I'd be much more inclined to buy things more frequently from them. Because I live in an apartment building it feels like I'm rolling the dice on whether I actually get my delivery delivered (Canada Post) or I have to pick it up somewhere else anyway (UPS, Purolator...) at which point I might as well have just gone to the mall.

That would be a very consumer friendly option.
I feel exactly the same. That + never knowing if a pre-order will come day 1 has pretty much made be a best buy only buyer for online stuff. At least if I miss a canada post package I can go 1 min away not drive to fucking Scarborough or something. I once had to go pick up a fed ex package from what seemed like a prison facility.

Teeth

Thank you so much for the help
I'll just call shaw to come over and hardware to the upstairs
Again thank you so much

That is 100% the best option. Also, talk to their sales/service department about it...often times you'll get one or two wired connections thrown in for free at the time of install, so if you've recently had it done and they didn't offer it, you might not have to pay for it.

Holy shit, Amazon just shipped my copy of For Honor on PS4 for $22.38 including tax. It was $49.96 and they double stacked two 30% off discounts :0

tiijj

I remember when they were $12.99.

Nintendo is so damn greedy. They're pricing stuff well above the exchange rate. Even their eshop pricing is horrible and the reason I never bought any Smash DLC, Sony and Valve digital pricing is much more reasonable.

They were US$12.99 but they started at CAD$13.99 ea.

Palehorse

Never bank on Amazon getting you getting anything on time. Ever. Only pain follows. If it's really that important to you and it's an in-store order then EB Games is your best bet.

Ok thanks. That sounds like experience talking.

Whooo, this is a toughy. I guess...I guess I don't need that fancy carrying case? I mean, it's probably low quality, right?

I'm going to sleep on this.

Nintendo is so damn greedy. They're pricing stuff well above the exchange rate. Even their eshop pricing is horrible and the reason I never bought any Smash DLC, Sony and Valve digital pricing is much more reasonable.

Yep. Eshop pricing in Canada is absolutely atrocious. I really wanted a Switch, and it still appeals to me, but even after the initial cost of hardware it is only a matter of time before the insanely overpriced software becomes even more expensive here. It is simply not a good financial choice right now.

Lexxism

What if you ship it to your closest CP outlet instead of home/work?
100% Canada post based on my experience. This is what I'm using on the games I bought at Amazon.

Contradicting to what I said. I know. I just want Amazon to use Canada post to deliver it to my apartment parcel locker. Yeah, I'm lazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom