• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals & Discussion 8: Don't Move Here For The Deals

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the response I got from Amazon about my pre orders for the Switch, Zelda and Pro Controller. All of which I paid priority shipping with Prime.

The date on my account has always said March 7-8 for all three items. But, I also live five minutes away from the warehouse ... So I'd be bummed if I don't get it March 3rd.

Interesting. I have my Switch on priority shipping now since previously it stated March 7th-8th. I'm about 45 mins away from a warehouse, so hopefully it will arrive on launch day as well.

nschizo

Interesting. I have my Switch on priority shipping now since previously it stated March 7th-8th. I'm about 45 mins away from a warehouse, so hopefully it will arrive on launch day as well.

Also have my Switch on priority shipping but I am in Montreal (usually when they ship, I receive my stuff the next day). :(

tiijj

I dunno if it will be the same as before. During the PS4 release back in Nov 2013, BB got their stuff like a week before release. What they did was shipped the console to the ones who are farther from their main warehouse like a few days to a week (like monday or something). If you live somewhere in the GTA or maybe in vancouver (sorry not familiar with what happened there) they shipped the console the day before or the day/night of the release date.

mdubs

Banned
It would be nice if all of these companies did away with Friday releases. With mailing Friday is playing with fire because of the weekend.

antibolo

Banned
It would be nice if all of these companies did away with Friday releases. With mailing Friday is playing with fire because of the weekend.

Well Americans have Saturday shipping so it's less of a problem for them, and we Canadians are irrelevant to the decisions of those companies.

terrible

Banned
I dunno if it will be the same as before. During the PS4 release back in Nov 2013, BB got their stuff like a week before release. What they did was shipped the console to the ones who are farther from their main warehouse like a few days to a week (like monday or something). If you live somewhere in the GTA or maybe in vancouver (sorry not familiar with what happened there) they shipped the console the day before or the day/night of the release date.

The PS4 was a Friday launch too wasn't it? I remember not getting it until the Monday from Best Buy. I'm still bitter.

tiijj

The PS4 was a Friday launch too wasn't it? I remember not getting it until the Monday from Best Buy. I'm still bitter.

Yeah, Friday, Nov 15 2013. Some got theirs as early as tues-wed (nov 12-13).

I received mine Mon-Tues (Nov18-19) the week after too. The bad part was this:

q0YS6M2.jpg

Oh special stock, first ones to pre-order oh...

The bad part for me was it's all the same, those who ordered like a week before (I guess when the pre-order went back up again) got theirs a few days earlier, tues-wed (nov 12-13).

I got pissed and used amazon and moved all my pre-order/order there.

Not for preorder video games that aren't guaranteed release date shipping they don't

Yeah, that's why select items/products. They also don't have it if you're outside Toronto or Vancouver or something.

Edit: Maybe someone here can talk himself/herself in having their switch delivered on sat or same day shipping on friday.

Stage On

Yeah that is kinda weird, you're only saving $6 with Prime. I guess free shipping is the draw.

Not much of a draw since I rarely need stuff under the $35 free shipping threshold and other companies give faster free shipping without requiring an annual membership fee.

The only reason I wanted prime was for the 20% off on games which was barely worth it considering how few games I'm willing to pay full price for. You need at to buy at least 5 games before you actually begin to save money.

In this case I'm better off paying the extra $6 since you can get a preorder bonus from Eb games.

hiim_haz

Banned

I imagine we'll be fine. However, if it doesn't show up March 3rd, then I'm going to complain a lot about paying extra for priority shipping for no reason.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Not much of a draw since I rarely need stuff under the $35 free shipping threshold and other companies give faster free shipping without requiring an annual membership fee.

The only reason I wanted prime was for the 20% off on games which was barely worth it considering how few games I'm willing to pay full price for. You need at to buy at least 5 games before you actually begin to save money.

In this case I'm better off paying the extra $6 since you can get a preorder bonus from Eb games.
You get Prime to basically be treated like a valued customer. It's like the first thing they seem to check for - "Thank you for being a valued Prime member". lol

antibolo

Banned
I was thinking, I hope the prices on the Switch eShop in Canada aren't going to be too shitty. Nintendo could be jerks and decide to have even worse pricing than their existing platforms, for no reason other than to screw us. It's already bad enough that they charge taxes, unlike Sony.

iphys

I was thinking, I hope the prices on the Switch eShop in Canada aren't going to be too shitty. Nintendo could be jerks and decide to have worse pricing than their existing platforms, for no reason other than to screw us. It already sucks that they charge taxes, unlike Sony.

It's region free, so they can't really screw us over or we'll just create other accounts.

tiijj

I was thinking, I hope the prices on the Switch eShop in Canada aren't going to be too shitty. Nintendo could be jerks and decide to have worse pricing than their existing platforms, for no reason other than to screw us. It already sucks that they charge taxes, unlike Sony.

I expect them to charge a dollar or so above the current exchange rate.

krae_man

Moved my random Switch stuff preorders to Kingdom Hearts 3, God of War, and Fractured But Whole.

Hopefully EB will get some post launch stock soon after launch so I can move them over to a Switch.

iphys

Snipperclips is $28.19 CAD FYI

Fine, if they're going to keep doing this 1.41 exchange rate nonsense, US account it will be then. Only upside to getting overcharged is it often results in 10 extra gold coins on MyNintendo because of that .01, but so far gold coins haven't been very useful anyway.

Fine, if they're going to keep doing this 1.41 exchange rate nonsense, US account it will be then. Only upside to getting overcharged is it often results in 10 extra gold coins on MyNintendo because of that .01, but so far gold coins haven't been very useful anyway.

You could buy a digital code from Amazon instead of fiddling with a US account at all most likely. (assuming Switch game codes still work cross US/CA like they did on Wii U/3DS, it's highly likely)

For the saving min-maxers... would work out to 27.00 CAD right now if you purchased it off Amazon and using standard 2.5% bank/card fee. (even better if you've got a card like the Amazon one without the 2.5%) Amazon isn't charging any tax. Versus 31.57 CAD with BC sales tax on the eShop.

But I'll be waiting for someone else to take the bullet first and test/confirm the code will work on CA Switch eShop. :p

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06X9YMLHP/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Bonus: This applies to the Zelda DLC pass too https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06VVQGHHN/?tag=neogaf0e-20

There's very little chance of this but if anyone is gonna cancel their BB switch order gimme a heads up please, the gf missed the order windows because she didn't have the cash but after selling her wii u for her I've got her within $70 of buying her own so I'd love to surprise her with an order.

You could buy a digital code from Amazon instead of fiddling with a US account at all most likely. (assuming Switch game codes still work cross US/CA like they did on Wii U/3DS, it's highly likely)

For the saving min-maxers... would work out to 27.00 CAD right now if you purchased it off Amazon and using standard 2.5% bank/card fee. (even better if you've got a card like the Amazon one without the 2.5%) Amazon isn't charging any tax. Versus 31.57 CAD with BC sales tax on the eShop.

But I'll be waiting for someone else to take the bullet first and test/confirm the code will work on CA Switch eShop. :p

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06X9YMLHP/?tag=neogaf0e-20

You can save more if you have an Amazon visa card for 0% exchange rate.

At worst you can always create an American account.

You can save more if you have an Amazon visa card for 0% exchange rate.

At worst you can always create an American account.

Yeah I mentioned that "(even better if you've got a card like the Amazon one without the 2.5%)" :) Also Tangerine's card is lower at 1.5% IIRC.

I don't think most folks have cards like that though; I don't at least! :p Yet... definitely on my radar with the dollar these days.

I managed to snag a Neon pre-order @ Bestbuy.ca. It was pretty fun and felt like a really low-stakes mission impossible. Happy to have done it cuz the process could be useful for pre-ordering anything else on the site. Here's how if anyone wants to do it:

Step 1: Add to cart
Since it's out of stock you can't add it normally, but if you right click the "add to cart" button and click "inspect" it opens the console, from there you can search (ctrl+F) "btn btn-primary disabled" than just manually change "disabled" to "enabled", close the console and you can add it to your cart.

Step 2: Checkout
From there you have to refresh the page until the Switch is marked as "In stock", this lasts less than 30 seconds so you have to go through the checkout process really quickly, so try to have all you info pre-filled (paypal works better, since the regular checkout makes you write you CVC number each time. You can change the payment method after the transaction easily). When someone cancels a pre-order, it doesn't go back online immediately, it waits until the inventory refreshes which seems to be at random intervals (it's at weird times, mine went through at 6:32) but I got to the Paypal screen like once every hour or two.

Of course clicking checkout all day gets really tedious so I don't recommend doing that, instead I used the "iMacros" extension for Chrome. it's pretty ugly but it works. Record yourself clicking on the Paypal button, stop recording, save the macro, go to the "Play" tab, click on your #Current.iim macro, change your "Max" number to something really high, and press play loop. If you go to the "Manage" tab and then click "Edit Macro" you can modify it so it's more effective. Here's what I wrote:

Code:
VERSION BUILD=844 RECORDER=CR
TAG POS=1 TYPE=A ATTR=ID:ctl00_CP_btnPayPal
WAIT SECONDS=7

I changed it so it doesn't reload the page as a first step cuz it made me go out of the Paypal screen since I wasn't quick enough to stop the loop and I added wait time because going too fast seem to give bad results and I got to the Paypal screen less often.

Have fun!

Dude you are my hero. To anyone who is looking to get a preorder, this worked for me in just over an hour (just watch TV or something while you keep an eye on it). I now have a preorder for a switch! Thanks a ton for this tip man, you went above and beyond.

Try this if you are still looking!

I managed to snag a Neon pre-order @ Bestbuy.ca. It was pretty fun and felt like a really low-stakes mission impossible. Happy to have done it cuz the process could be useful for pre-ordering anything else on the site. Here's how if anyone wants to do it:

Step 1: Add to cart
Since it's out of stock you can't add it normally, but if you right click the "add to cart" button and click "inspect" it opens the console, from there you can search (ctrl+F) "btn btn-primary disabled" than just manually change "disabled" to "enabled", close the console and you can add it to your cart.

Step 2: Checkout
From there you have to refresh the page until the Switch is marked as "In stock", this lasts less than 30 seconds so you have to go through the checkout process really quickly, so try to have all you info pre-filled (paypal works better, since the regular checkout makes you write you CVC number each time. You can change the payment method after the transaction easily). When someone cancels a pre-order, it doesn't go back online immediately, it waits until the inventory refreshes which seems to be at random intervals (it's at weird times, mine went through at 6:32) but I got to the Paypal screen like once every hour or two.

Of course clicking checkout all day gets really tedious so I don't recommend doing that, instead I used the "iMacros" extension for Chrome. it's pretty ugly but it works. Record yourself clicking on the Paypal button, stop recording, save the macro, go to the "Play" tab, click on your #Current.iim macro, change your "Max" number to something really high, and press play loop. If you go to the "Manage" tab and then click "Edit Macro" you can modify it so it's more effective. Here's what I wrote:

Code:
VERSION BUILD=844 RECORDER=CR
TAG POS=1 TYPE=A ATTR=ID:ctl00_CP_btnPayPal
WAIT SECONDS=7

I changed it so it doesn't reload the page as a first step cuz it made me go out of the Paypal screen since I wasn't quick enough to stop the loop and I added wait time because going too fast seem to give bad results and I got to the Paypal screen less often.

Have fun!

If I have two separate orders for Switches with Best Buy, am I in danger of having them cancelled?

Thinking of using this method and swapping my Amazon order for a Best Buy one.

X-Factor

SNES games I received as gifts that were $89.99 and 99.99 were Super Mario RPG, Earthbound in Toronto.

Now those games are worth more. ~ $600 for Earthbound.

Ryne

I'm going to cancel my zelda se pre-order from bestbuy in a bit since it seems I was able to secure a masters ed pre-order from gamestop. Around 9AM

iphys

Uh, remember SNES games for $100?

I remember when SNES games went from $60 to $80 I stopped buying them, and then I didn't even bother with N64 when they were $100. Most I ever paid for a game was $90 for SMB3 for NES and I was always disappointed in the game because it didn't live up to the ridiculous price.

in 1996 Consumers has some $90 and $95 games

http://www.cdarchive.ca/UltimateVideo1996.pdf

SNES games I received as gifts that were $89.99 and 99.99 were Super Mario RPG, Earthbound in Toronto.

Now those games are worth more. ~ $600 for Earthbound.

Ah, yes, that makes sense. Dollar was $0.83 in 1992, and $0.72 by 1996.

Guess I didnt notice it having moved onto N64 by then, and buying snes from smaller stores.

Looks like history repeating itself today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom