• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals & Discussion 8: Don't Move Here For The Deals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lexxism

I'm thinking of cancelling my BB Switch order as I can get a discount at Walmart, but I'm worried that I'll end up missing out. I hope they get alot of systems, but I doubt it.
Keep the order at BB. Try your luck at Walmart. If luck in your side, return your BB order.

A quick PSA to people who preordered their Switches EB Games and are likely to be asked to partake in their protection plan: Don't*.

I hate the way my local store tries to sneak the warranty on to your purchase. They just tell you they're adding the protection plan and give you your total and you have to stop them and tell them to take it off. It seems super shady to not even ask if you want it or tell you how much it's costing.

A quick PSA to people who preordered their Switches EB Games and are likely to be asked to partake in their protection plan: Don't*.

200% agreed. Gone are the days where I could exchange my NDSL for another one every time some ass scratched the screen to death when playing Warioware Touched lol.

Hm, I just snagged a gray switch preorder when I logged into best buy randomly lol. Lucky!

Haines

Banned
If i ever have a game from amazon supposed to come ona friday, i expect it monday.

Thats why i got an in store preorder at toys r us.

Just be happy you will get it at all while others are scrambling to find one. Get your shit done on the weekend so you can enjoy it when you get it,

EB had a great plan one upon a time. My Xbox was fried by a surge and they replaced it without issue.

Too bad it sounds like it went to shit.

jmoe316

Conventional wisdom is that over the course of your electronics' lifespan, saying no to add-on warranties is probably the way to go... take that for what it's worth, but I'm suggesting something different... I don't know if I've seen a worse product replacement plan anywhere. Here are the full terms: https://www.ebgames.ca/Help/Index?section=HelpCenter/ProductReplacementPlan

...and here are the key highlights:

• Replacement plan is 12 months from date of purchase (meaning it doesn't extend your existing warranty.)
• Does not cover accidental or any sort of physical damage (only "electronic breakdown")
• Replacement plan gives you "a one time refurbished replacement of the hardware"

...so to the best of my knowledge, the EB guarantee doesn't really cover anything a standard warranty won't cover, except maybe ruined controllers (i.e: your control stick stops functioning properly... something like a widespread left joycon issue would presumably be covered by Nintendo). The benefit, I guess, is you get a replacement right away — if one is available. But even then, it's a refurb (and an EB refurb, at that... so depends on how much you trust their refurbishment process).

I don't recall it always being this bad. I remember buying coverage for my Dreamcast back in the day, and returned it for a minor issue — getting a new system in exchange. (In the end, I don't know if it was worth it, because the new drive was much louder than my original.)... but even then I'm not sure whether it actually extended the first-year warranty or not.

* IMO

Also, in the latest of shipping age, I think my Switch case will come late. I was hoping that Intelcom weirdness might bring my copy of Horizon today, but that appears unlikely at this juncture.

Also, to add to this, many credit cards double the warranty on purchases made on the card. Not sure how much of a hassle it would be to go through the CC company, but something to consider as a "freebie" for purchasing on the credit card.

MesH

Whenever I've picked free standard shipping, I've gotten the game on release day. I signed up for a Prime trial and changed the shipping speed for Horizon to priority (only one the CSR could give me) and it's not set to be delivered until March 6 or 7. Weird.

I have prime and checked this morning it was showing March 8-10 so called CSR and they changed my whole order to priority, Horizon went to march 6-7, was on the line for 30 mins and still couldn't figure out how to get it to me tomorrow. Damn you Amazon what am I paying prime for.

On another note, if there is a local Edmonton gaffer with and extra Switch preorder or want to cancel give me a heads up I will take it.

Bestbuy had 2 online last night, couldn't even get through checkout and they were both gone.

Ohmbrew

I'm sorry if this has already been posted before, but I if anyone is looking to spend their Air Miles, they're having a 20% off sale for the amount of miles needed to purchase something.

The reason I thought to post this here is that I noticed they had a 500 GB Xbox One bundle available for a sale price of 5,760 reward miles (normally 7,200 miles). I have no idea what that translates to in dollars, but if you're looking to get rid of miles and have thought about getting a console, it may be useful.

There's also a PS4 Thrustmaster T300RS racing wheel available for 3,500 miles (normally 4,375 miles).

Sale goes until March 5th.

krae_man

I'm sorry if this has already been posted before, but I if anyone is looking to spend their Air Miles, they're having a 20% off sale for the amount of miles needed to purchase something.

The reason I thought to post this here is that I noticed they had a 500 GB Xbox One bundle available for a sale price of 5,760 reward miles (normally 7,200 miles). I have no idea what that translates to in dollars, but if you're looking to get rid of miles and have thought about getting a console, it may be useful.

There's also a PS4 Thrustmaster T300RS racing wheel available for 3,500 miles (normally 4,375 miles).

Sale goes until March 5th.

It's 95 miles per $10 credit so that's $600 worth of air miles. Don't do that.

Just a heads up in case anyone is interested, but my local EB Games has all the Biogenik Switch accessories on the floor available for purchase already. If you're into that sort of thing.

Ohmbrew

It's 95 miles per $10 credit so that's $600 worth of air miles. Don't do that.

Holy moly!!! That much? Thanks for pointing that out. It'll come in handy for reviewing other things.

I retract my suggestion, don't by the bundle! =)

Thanks krae_man!

edit: upon further review, the Dream Miles rewards are crappy value. I really should switch over to Cash Miles.

FrsDvl

I have prime and checked this morning it was showing March 8-10 so called CSR and they changed my whole order to priority, Horizon went to march 6-7, was on the line for 30 mins and still couldn't figure out how to get it to me tomorrow. Damn you Amazon what am I paying prime for.

On another note, if there is a local Edmonton gaffer with and extra Switch preorder or want to cancel give me a heads up I will take it.

Bestbuy had 2 online last night, couldn't even get through checkout and they were both gone.

I'm going to try and get a Switch at either Walmart or BestBuy since Amazon is probably going to disappoint. If I manage to get one, I can pass off my Amazon pre order to you, if you're still looking by the time that comes in.

Northcott

Neo Member

So weird, I'm in Edmonton and received my copy of horizon from amazon today before lunch.

MesH

I'm going to try and get a Switch at either Walmart or BestBuy since Amazon is probably going to disappoint. If I manage to get one, I can pass off my Amazon pre order to you, if you're still looking by the time that comes in.

Ok sweet, thanks brother. I don't mind if it is late, wasn't even sure I wanted one till I started hearing all the good stuff about Zelda, now I am kicking myself for not jumping on sooner.

MesH

So weird, I'm in Edmonton and received my copy of horizon from amazon today before lunch.

They told me because I changed my address a month ago it moved me to the bottom of the queue, this is a preorder from 2 years ago with 30 percent discount and I get bumped for that, have moved before and changed address with out the same problem, and often get games earlier from Amazon.

They told me because I changed my address a month ago it moved me to the bottom of the queue, this is a preorder from 2 years ago with 30 percent discount and I get bumped for that, have moved before and changed address with out the same problem, and often get games earlier from Amazon.

That queue thing is bullshit.

OHHH MY FUCKING GOD
I just contacted amazon and apparently my shipping address for horizon was "deactivated". I haven't changed my addresses in like forever. AND I just got a circular saw from them. How did it even get deactivated in the first place?
WTF?
:( So uncool.

firelogic

I feel your pain. They're not doing a good job in convincing me to actually subscribe to Prime after my trial is over.

OHHH MY FUCKING GOD
I just contacted amazon and apparently my shipping address for horizon was "deactivated". I haven't changed my addresses in like forever. AND I just got a circular saw from them. How did it even get deactivated in the first place?
WTF?
:( So uncool.

So they didn't even send you an email or anything? It was just in limbo until you inquired with them? That's brutal.

I feel your pain. They're not doing a good job in convincing me to actually subscribe to Prime after my trial is over.

So they didn't even send you an email or anything? It was just in limbo until you inquired with them? That's brutal.

No, they didn't send me anything. :(
I kinda feel like an ass right now cause I wasn't 100% polite with the rep. He asked if there was anything else, and I said thankfully no and left the chat.
I'm not getting the game tomorrow and I feel like an ass.
:(

firelogic

No, they didn't send me anything. :(
I kinda feel like an ass right now cause I wasn't 100% polite with the rep. He asked if there was anything else, and I said thankfully no and left the chat.
I'm not getting the game tomorrow and I feel like an ass.
:(

Nah, that doesn't even sound that bad. Unless you used 10 exclamation marks, lol. Don't feel bad. I wonder if there's something wrong with my order too. I don't see anything out of the ordinary on my orders page other than the fact it's still in pre-order status with a delivery estimate of March 6-7.

Davide

Whenever I've picked free standard shipping, I've gotten the game on release day. I signed up for a Prime trial and changed the shipping speed for Horizon to priority (only one the CSR could give me) and it's not set to be delivered until March 6 or 7. Weird.

I'm wondering if I buy it Day 1 at Best Buy if they'll take back an Amazon copy later.

Robert807

I ordered Horizon from Amazon on Friday, I have prime. When I was picking free prime shipping it said I get the game from March 3rd to the 7 th. Forget that I paid the 4 dollar shipping option to receive the game on February 28 th. I still haven't been charged. I'm thinking no horizon for me tomorrow. I'm hoping at least to receive it by Friday tho.

Congrats to everyone buying the switch this week. I hope you all enjoy your new system. I'm sitting this one out. 4 k tv and that new Xbox I'm waiting for. I be the same as everyone else. Crossing my fingers hoping to receive it on Friday. It be hard sitting threw the weekend waiting for Monday to come around. You guys enjoy and good luck.

Baltic

Banned
Does anyone's Amazon Zelda SE display a delivery date or are they still at the "we're trying to get blablabla"?

Good old Amanda at Amazon told me yesterday night they had a technical problem and weren't able to update shipping status at least for this item. I am a Prime member and selected the quickest shipping option when I pre ordered. Amanda told me the game would be available for pick up on Friday.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
My BestBuy order has a shipping ID but still only says "delivered as early as February 28th" for Horizon....... what does that mean? I live in Vancouver so realistically they could update shipping status later today and it'd still get here tmrw from the warehouse but meh. If it's not here tmrw I'll drive to the BestBuy and pick it up and give back the delivery order but I was hoping to avoid having to do that.

It will be ship later tonight.

Still says the same thing mhmmmmmmmm

nath999

Any trade in deals for Switch still on? Missed the EB/Gamestop deal

Yea EBgames has 2x value on all trades towards Switch products.This promo just started today. I just came back from a massive trade I did. Obviously no preorders available but I got all my games and accessories paid off.

Xb1 Rise of the Tomb Raider $18
xb1 Fallout 4 $14
PS4 Final Fantasy XV $52
PS4 Tales of Berseria $80
WiiU Mario Kart 8 $50
WiiU Super Smash Bros U $50
32GB WiiU Console $150

Yea EBgames has 2x value on all trades towards Switch products.This promo just started today. I just came back from a massive trade I did. Obviously no preorders available but I got all my games and accessories paid off.

xb1 Fallout 4 $14
PS4 Final Fantasy XV $52
WiiU Mario Kart 8 $50
32GB WiiU Console $150

Nice. Saw your post on RFD. Very helpful!

Anyone remember how much Gears of War 4 was trading in for last month?

essenn

xb1 Fallout 4 $14
PS4 Final Fantasy XV $52
WiiU Mario Kart 8 $50
32GB WiiU Console $150

Can I trade in Mario Kart 8 Wii U towards the Switch version?

Lexxism

Still says the same thing mhmmmmmmmm
It's just 5 PM in your place :p

xb1 Fallout 4 $14
PS4 Final Fantasy XV $52
WiiU Mario Kart 8 $50
32GB WiiU Console $150
I'm surprised that some of the games retained their value. Not bad

CazTGG

Quoting question from earlier in the thread given the Switch's increasingly close release:
Have there been any recent deals for a 128GB (or greater capacity) micro SD card? I've been looking for one since the Switch is coming out soon and, in all likelihood, i'll be downloading a substantial amount of games in the coming months.

Nah, that doesn't even sound that bad. Unless you used 10 exclamation marks, lol. Don't feel bad. I wonder if there's something wrong with my order too. I don't see anything out of the ordinary on my orders page other than the fact it's still in pre-order status with a delivery estimate of March 6-7.
The rep changed my delivery option to priority now I have the same estimate of march 6 - 7.
But I don't think I'll get it tomorrow. It has to be sent out by mid night today.

That sucks man, you were excited for that game too.
I might have to buy it walmart tomorrow and return the amazon copy, hopefully I don't have to...

Kaydan

Banned
Just purchased an RX480 at a good price. Did I make a mistake? Should I have waited on Vega to get the better performance per $?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom