• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals & Discussion 8: Don't Move Here For The Deals

Status
Not open for further replies.
damn those are good micro sd prices.

Can I use a micro sd if i put it in a adapter in my wii u? Id love to have both Bayo's on the console at the same time, though wii u only seems to be able to take sd cards up to 32gb?

Cru Jones

just called my EBGames to see what time they were opening on Friday for the Switch launch and this is the answer I got:

"Ummmmm.... I actually don't know. Did you pre-order the Switch?"

"Yes"

"Ok. I don't know when we are opening but as long as you get it within the first 7 days you'll be fine. But if you don't, we can re-sell it"

What an idiot.

I still can't recommend any microSD outside of evo+ from samsung. The best read speeds and sometimes by a huge margin. Can usually be found in the 50-60 range for 128gb.

just called my EBGames to see what time they were opening on Friday for the Switch launch and this is the answer I got:

"Yes"

"Ok. I don't know when we are opening but as long as you get it within the first 7 days you'll be fine. But if you don't, we can re-sell it"

What an idiot.

I mean, that's the store policy. I don't get what you're pointing out here.

This. And also answering my question with something that's pretty unrelated to what I was asking.

To be fair, they do get a lot of people who still won't pick up their items after the 7 days, and then get really upset when they find out that the item was sold after the hold time went by. He was just letting you know just in case, you know, happen to be one of those people who end up not picking it up right away for some reason. Its not that big a deal.

for someone tech illiterate, how does read speeds affect using a sd card as gaming storage device
faster load times and whatnot

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-microsd-card/

great comparison of microsd cards. Of course the differences might be negligible but I mean if the prices aren't far off you may as well go for the best. The Switch is a modern piece of tech so I wouldn't be surprise if it's equipped to take advantage of a faster sd card.

iphys

"Yes"

What an idiot.

Mine was better and called to tell me my starter kit was in last Thursday and that they would be opening early at 9 am for the Switch launch vs their normal 9:30 opening. Not sure whether to bother showing up for 9 am or wait a couple hours for the dust to settle.

"Yes"

What an idiot.

Lol. Sounds like a scene from Parks and Rec or King of the Hill.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Just purchased an RX480 at a good price. Did I make a mistake? Should I have waited on Vega to get the better performance per $?

Why would you buy it now...???

I would've waited if you were this late to the game, BUT it's still a good card at a good price and will run whatever you throw at it for now.

LevelNth

Banned
I just recently got a PS4 and am attempting to buy some games on PSN before this editors choice sale ends tomorrow... and somehow I'm getting credit card errors with every single card I own.

Is this a thing? This is a complete and utter joke, and I have no avenue to contact Sony (or at least I couldn't find one).

Fularu

Banned
Why would you buy it now...???

I would've waited if you were this late to the game, BUT it's still a good card at a good price and will run whatever you throw at it for now.

Vega won't be out before june

If he needed a card now, well there really isn't any better option at the 480x pricepoint

Lexxism

I still can't recommend any microSD outside of evo+ from samsung. The best read speeds and sometimes by a huge margin. Can usually be found in the 50-60 range for 128gb.
That's why I'll wait before I buy one. I need to see some test which one of these cards are the best.

"Yes"

What an idiot.

lol i can't believe this is real.

faster load times and whatnot

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-microsd-card/

great comparison of microsd cards. Of course the differences might be negligible but I mean if the prices aren't far off you may as well go for the best. The Switch is a modern piece of tech so I wouldn't be surprise if it's equipped to take advantage of a faster sd card.

it should be noted that any sd cards that are too slow can cause games to not work right, i had a 40MB/s in my n3ds xl and it had issues with some digital games i played

jokkir

Got my Switch starter kit at EB Games today. Apparently the Yonge/Dundas location is doing a midnight launch for Switch. Not sure if it's the one outside or the one in the mall

I just recently got a PS4 and am attempting to buy some games on PSN before this editors choice sale ends tomorrow... and somehow I'm getting credit card errors with every single card I own.

Is this a thing? This is a complete and utter joke, and I have no avenue to contact Sony (or at least I couldn't find one).

Yeah I've read about others having issues, at times using a different device works, like PC or mobile. Others have said their details had to be exact. Capital letters with postal code etc. I never had issues but give that a shot. Or PSN could be acting upvas it likes to do and that will give you errors, which I've experienced a few times. You can also try pp if you got it.

Got my Switch starter kit at EB Games today. Apparently the Yonge/Dundas location is doing a midnight launch for Switch. Not sure if it's the one outside or the one in the mall

I have to imagine the one outside at least is doing a midnight release. It's the flagship Toronto store.

Ya, probably too harsh... but I guess I found the level of disconnect between the question I was asking and the answer he gave very baffling.

They possibly thought you were asking when the store was open to see if you'd be able to get in and was just reassuring you they would hold it for 7 days if you couldn't get in on launch day. Not everyone that preorders is knocking down the door at midnight.

Yea EBgames has 2x value on all trades towards Switch products.This promo just started today. I just came back from a massive trade I did. Obviously no preorders available but I got all my games and accessories paid off.

Xb1 Rise of the Tomb Raider $18
xb1 Fallout 4 $14
PS4 Final Fantasy XV $52
PS4 Tales of Berseria $80
WiiU Mario Kart 8 $50
WiiU Super Smash Bros U $50
32GB WiiU Console $150

Hmm, contemplating to trade-in RE7. Would pick it up again once it goes down in price.

Horizon from Amazon just shipped! Contemplating calling in sick tomorrow lol.

Ships March 3rd here :/

Anyone here have or use the arctis 5? I'm picking up a set from amazon for my birthday, just wondering if there's and protips from users and what not.

SickBoy

How much more beneficial is a higher write speed on Switch? I guess downloads would be faster but what else?

I can't imagine there being much significant benefit. If and when I need one, I'm probably going to grab that SanDisk Ultra that's $46.99 at Costco (assuming the SD card market hasn't totally changed when that time comes)... because I doubt on the user end I'll see much difference between that card and one that's got a higher speed rating.

Heck, I used a USB thumb drive for a time as the additional storage on my Wii U and didn't really find any issues with that, either.

btkadams

So is Amazon not shipping out for release day? I assumed it would be updated as the release neared, but I'm starting to believe that's not the case.

Edit: Sorry, I guess I should have mentioned I'm talking about the Switch.

Costco carries this one at least in the west iirc it was $48. Bought one for my phone and will pick one up this week for my switch. 200gb version seems to be around $100 so this is a more decent $/gb.

edit: This one looks decently faster from the above review for $20 more though
https://www.amazon.ca/Samsung-MB-MC1...amsung+microsd
if you go to the third party section on the amazon page you can get it for 50-60 bucks. Just got to make sure it's a reliable place.

So is Amazon not shipping out for release day? I assumed it would be updated as the release neared, but I'm starting to believe that's not the case.
I think the consensus is that amazon is a bit of a crapshoot. Might get it on release day, might not.

mdubs

Banned
The thread today is like that moment when you're all strapped in for a flight and after a long period of taxiing (the last week or so) the engines actually kick in for real (as we approach lift off on Thursday/Friday).

This is fun

The thread today is like that moment when you're all strapped in for a flight and after a long period of taxiing (the last week or so) the engines actually kick in for real (as we approach lift off on Thursday/Friday).

This is fun
I'm just trying my best to not think about how much time is left. Just want to wake up and be like oh today is the day already!

The day before will be fun when they start shipping. Or not shipping.

DVCY201

Edit: Sorry, I guess I should have mentioned I'm talking about the Switch.

There is a 90% chance you will get it after the weekend, unless you're close to a depot. I don't think I've gotten any Nintendo items on Friday with amazon.

Haines

Banned
Anybody know when ebgames double trade in promo ends.

I could trade in mario kart, maker, splatoon and make bank towards a pro controller.
Considering ill just rebuy those games on switch.

But my games are 3 hours up north. I wonder what it would cost to have them mailed to me.

bigmac996

Got a call earlier from my Ebgames saying they'll be opening at 9 am Friday for me to swing by and grab the switch. Also said that if not picked up by sunday at closing, that the preorder will be lost. Curious about that, thought they'd be good for at least a week (although Ill definitely be there at opening 9am friday haha).

jokkir

Is it just me or is the Switch stand just some glorified Kid Icarus stand but adjustable a bit

Also I'm playing with these joy con silicon cases like a moron. I need help.

Oh my god, I'm so fuckin excited to play Horizon (which just shipped). I'm planning to wait until the weekend since that's what I do with big new games I'm stoked for (often too tired during the week to properly enjoy). But damn, that wait will be hard!

Harusame

Got a call earlier from my Ebgames saying they'll be opening at 9 am Friday for me to swing by and grab the switch. Also said that if not picked up by sunday at closing, that the preorder will be lost. Curious about that, thought they'd be good for at least a week (although Ill definitely be there at opening 9am friday haha).
It depends on the type of edge membership that you have in regards to how long they will hold a pre-order. A Red and Gold edge membership have a hold period for two days, Platnium gets a hold period of 4 days and onyx gets a hold period of 5 days. Honestly it really depends on the staff of your local ebgames (as well as the amount of space to hold said pre-orders). There were a number times where the staff at my ebgames held some of my pre-orders for over a week of so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom