• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals & Discussion 8: Don't Move Here For The Deals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lexxism

To those looking for the HORI screen protector (standard, not premium as that one is defective) for the Switch, VGP has them in-stock. I placed an order for one since Amazon.ca is still out-of-stock and the only ones offering it (from within Canada, that I can see) are third-party sellers.

https://www.videogamesplus.ca/hori-s...h-p-24484.html

Word of warning? It's recommended to use PayPal as payment and not your credit card directly, due to VGP's...lack in security. Just letting you all know!
It's available on EB games https://www.ebgames.ca/Switch/Games/727724/hori-screen-protector-for-nintendo-switch

I'll just give them my money instead of VGP
Did you enter a member number when you checked out?
No.

I need to look up when my copy of Sophie arrived, but generally Amazon is really, really, really, really, really bad at shipping Atelier games anywhere near on time. I think my copy of Atelier Rorona Plus arrived more than two weeks late, long enough that I'd asked for (and was granted) a replacement copy in case the original got lost in the mail. (It hadn't.) I cancelled both Meruru and Ayesha (and possibly Escha & Logy, don't recall) because I ended up buying them in brick-and-mortar stores before Amazon could get their shit together.

For once, I would've actually been fine for Firis to come late (I actually forgot it was releasing tomorrow!) but it turns out Steam is cheaper even after the Prime discount for the physical PS4, so PC it is. I'll miss getting the Platinum trophy, though.

Apparently they got no copies and have no idea when it will ship.

Eleanor_Hume

Neo Member
Did anyone pre-order the Nier Black Box Edition from square enix store? It's on it's way, but the last status update was yesterday morning at Toronto. Nothing since then... makes me think tracking stopped when it hit Canada. This is bullshit because they charged me for "priority shipping" at checkout, but it says "First Class International Service". Priority shipping usually continues to track it once it hits Canada. -__-

Did anyone pre-order the Nier Black Box Edition from square enix store? It's on it's way, but the last status update was yesterday morning at Toronto. Nothing since then... makes me think tracking stopped when it hit Canada. This is bullshit because they charged me for "priority shipping" at checkout, but it says "First Class International Service". Priority shipping usually continues to track it once it hits Canada. -__-

Mine just left Miami as of yesterday

antibolo

Banned
Had my first session of Switch on the bus.

Feels good, but as usual with Nintendo consoles the headphone out is pathetically weak.

I should probably just buy an external headphone amplifier. Does anyone have any recommendations?

killroy87

My partner got us a couple screen protectors from Toys r Us to tide us over until our tempered glass ones from amazon ship. I can't remember the exact brand (PDP rings a bell, is that a thing?), but they're just awful. I don't know if every screen protector is like this (I never use them), but this creates a slight foggy haze over everything, like it took the resolution down another peg. Even when we were looking at it before applying it, we said to each other "huh, that doesn't look clear. Shouldn't it be completely clear?"

It's a temporary solution for us, so not the end of the world, but I don't recommend.

Edit: This is the one I got, but at Toys R Us. Stay away, it's terrible.

NYR

Do you have a lot of devices running on 2.4GHz WiFi?

I have devices running on that frequency, yes. But that is inexcusable to say that is a legitimate reason for something not to work, this thing was not tested thoroughly in real life situations.

antibolo

Banned
I have devices running on that frequency, yes. But that is inexcusable to say that is a legitimate reason for something not to work, this thing was not tested thoroughly in real life situations.

Yeah I don't want to defend Nintendo, just saying that you could try toning down the 2.4GHz noise in your play environment to see if it helps.

(Personally I haven't had a single disconnect so far.)

bigmac996

I recommend as far as screen protectors go for the switch, to stay FAR away from Biogenik ones (the ebgames brand). Thought I'd support a canadian company so I picked one up, but the thing is not cut to the screen size. Such a ridiculous oversight. When lining up the holes on the bottom, there's like 3 mm on the right and 1 mm on the left, and space at the top as well.

I emailed the company asking for a replacement but they said "it's intentionally misaligned to make it easier to apply". Makes no sense. So yeah, stay away!

NYR

Yeah I don't want to defend Nintendo, just saying that you could try toning down the 2.4GHz noise in your play environment to see if it helps.

Yep, I did try that. I unplugged the router and still disconnected. It doesn't work from more than a few feet away (3-4 feet). I can't even connect the left joy con from my couch.

antibolo

Banned
I just live dangerously and never put screen protectors on any of my devices. I hate putting those damn things on.

The dock thing doesn't scare me, I just insert it carefully.

Sora_N

My partner got us a couple screen protectors from Toys r Us to tide us over until our tempered glass ones from amazon ship. I can't remember the exact brand (PDP rings a bell, is that a thing?), but they're just awful. I don't know if every screen protector is like this (I never use them), but this creates a slight foggy haze over everything, like it took the resolution down another peg. Even when we were looking at it before applying it, we said to each other "huh, that doesn't look clear. Shouldn't it be completely clear?"

It's a temporary solution for us, so not the end of the world, but I don't recommend.

The 12.99 Hori one is amazing for a basic one.

I am waiting for my glass ones too.

Where can I find the official Switch case? Sold out everywhere...

soultron

Banned
The 12.99 Hori one is amazing for a basic one.

I am waiting for my glass ones too.

Call around. I walked to a TRU on my lunch break yesterday and grabbed the last HORI tough case, but there were several other cases there.

TRU, EBG, Walmart, SDM(?), Source, BB, etc.

Sealtest

That's gonna be prolly the hardest case to find right now since it's "Official" and it comes with a screen protector so most people went with it.

You're best bet is something like TheSource, Walmart maybe even toys r us. The stores that less people would go to buy video game stuff.

Dazzler

I just live dangerously and never put screen protectors on any of my devices. I hate putting those damn things on.

The dock thing doesn't scare me, I just insert it carefully.

I'm the same, my phone lives naked too

I have never once been able to apply a screen protector without distracting bubbles all over it

Returners

Powerbank recommendations for Switch? Lot of peeps in the accessories thread are posting Amazon.com links which do not ship to Canada and can't find them on .ca

Gitaroo

I recommend as far as screen protectors go for the switch, to stay FAR away from Biogenik ones (the ebgames brand). Thought I'd support a canadian company so I picked one up, but the thing is not cut to the screen size. Such a ridiculous oversight. When lining up the holes on the bottom, there's like 3 mm on the right and 1 mm on the left, and space at the top as well.

I emailed the company asking for a replacement but they said "it's intentionally misaligned to make it easier to apply". Makes no sense. So yeah, stay away!

I have that and thought it was ok, making it smaller is normal and was easier to apply. I bought some over brand at walmart that comes with 2 sheets + analogue nubs cover for 7 bucks though, would have bought those if I knew. The screen protector is coming off anyway once ebay is flooded with cheap tempered glass.

tiijj

Wish we have RDS here, it looks solid and the fitting looks tight that it doesn't rattle when the switch is inside.

Junk3t

Neo Member
Powerbank recommendations for Switch? Lot of peeps in the accessories thread are posting Amazon.com links which do not ship to Canada and can't find them on .ca

I've personally been pleased with my Anker Powerbank and its been able to charge the switch. https://www.amazon.ca/Anker-20000mAh-Portable-Charger-PowerCore/dp/B00X5RV14Y/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1488904116&sr=8-1&keywords=anker+powerbank

but this is just from my experience. If you want the fastest charging and highest amperage then you would need to find a powerbank thats USB-C to USB-C as USB-C as I understand can charge faster than USB-A

Oh geez -- my router is basically where my entertainment system is. Glad I didn't jump in on the Switch cause I'm *not* moving that router.

im not sure if the wifi interference is the source of the problem, my l joycon works perfectly and i have a shit ton of wifi devices in my house, i there is just a bad batch of L joycons out there,

soultron

Banned
Dumb question but I'll ask it now that I'm back in the Nintendo ecosystem. Do eShop point cards go on sale at all? Would love to stock up on some if there's ever a sale.

Luigi87

I really hate that Puyo Puyo Tetris is $10 more on Switch. I mean sure I've got Prime, but still.
The demo is a lot of fun, and I'd really prefer it on Switch.

Lexxism

Dumb question but I'll ask it now that I'm back in the Nintendo ecosystem. Do eShop point cards go on sale at all? Would love to stock up on some if there's ever a sale.
No. Gaming prepaid cards doesn't go on sale in Canada. In the US, however.......

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
Wish we have RDS here, it looks solid and the fitting looks tight that it doesn't rattle when the switch is inside.

Seriously canada got the short end of the stick for accessories quality on Nintendo switch's launch.

No RDS case, no amfilm tempered glass protector..

CazTGG

There used to be an eBay seller who sold legitimate $20 CAD codes along with some Virtual Console release for a discount but, so far as my knowledge goes, they're out of stock.

Lexxism

Interesting. Are the cards locked to specific regions/currencies? Can I use a US card to make purchases in $CAD on our eShop?
Yes, it is locked. However, since switch is region free right now. You can just create a US account and buy an eshop card on Amazon or BST thread. You can "switch" freely between regions.

soultron

Banned
There used to be an eBay seller who sold legitimate $20 CAD codes along with some Virtual Console release for a discount but, so far as my knowledge goes, they're out of stock.

Nice. Hopefully they'll get some soon!

Yes, it is locked. However, since switch is region free right now. You can just create a US account and buy an eshop card on Amazon or BST thread. You can "switch" freely between regions.

Yeah, this means having an account per region though, right? I'd have to resend friend codes if I want a consistent friends list across all accounts? Sounds like a bit of a hassle. :S

Luigi87

Apparently Anker will be releasing a Tempered Glass protector for Switch, but it won't be until the end of the month, and I can't wait that long, lol

Lizardus

Well shit, I was about to head to EB to buy it. Besides the misalignment, is there anything else wrong with it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom