• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals & Discussion 8: Don't Move Here For The Deals

Status
Not open for further replies.

iphys

I try to rationalize to myself that the Pro controller really only cost $50 since I saved myself $40 avoiding buying an extra ac adapter thanks to the USB charging cable it came with.

Kyolux

Waiting on Zelda CE guide? Best buy in store has a pile of them. Price match with amazon.

(Toronto dundas store, 3DS section bottom shelf in a pile)

Thanks for the tip. Did a price match at the local best buy in Gatineau. Was afraid the shipping in 2 to 4 weeks would ruin it but I did get it matched.

Madness

I don't know why I waited until now to start wanting a Switch Pro Controller :(

I got to hold one finally and I agree. It feels great. It is high time Nintendo realizes just how amazing this type of controller is for all games. There is a reason people used the Gamecube controller for Brawl etc. And it is why Xbox 360 and Xbox One controller became sort of a gold standard for games even on PC. Hell even Sony had to change up their dualshock this gen.

I can see the Switch Pro controller really be in demand once Splatoon 2 is out. Asymmetrical sticks will be solid.

I know that feel bro but I was not able to justify to my wife more vg related expenses. Lol
Ufff I feel for you. She's probably right though :*(

I have one and it is amazing. World class controller. Horrible price point. They'll be in stock within weeks, I wouldn't worry about it.

I got to hold one finally and I agree. It feels great. It is high time Nintendo realizes just how amazing this type of controller is for all games. There is a reason people used the Gamecube controller for Brawl etc. And it is why Xbox 360 and Xbox One controller became sort of a gold standard for games even on PC. Hell even Sony had to change up their dualshock this gen.

I can see the Switch Pro controller really be in demand once Splatoon 2 is out. Asymmetrical sticks will be solid.

Gaddamnit. Pour some more salt on the wound why don't ya?
But seriously I'm really looking forward to using one. The praise seems unanimous.

Is it just me or did the price of Shovel Knight Treasure Trove go up on the Switch eShop? I could've sworn it wasn't above $30 before. What the hell is going on?

Is it just me or did the price of Shovel Knight Treasure Trove go up on the Switch eShop? I could've sworn it wasn't above $30 before. What the hell is going on?

Checked it out and it did go up in price. Glad I bought it when it was under 30. Wonder if the lower price was a mistake as the US price is 24.99. Makes sense that the price would be at least $30 CAD or higher.

Checked it out and it did go up in price. Glad I bought it when it was under 30. Wonder if the lower price was a mistake as the US price is 24.99. Makes sense that the price would be at least $30 CAD or higher.

I sent a tweet to Yacht Club Games about it and they responded saying it was indeed a pricing error. Kicking myself in the ass now for not buying it sooner.

UberTag

Glad I got in on Treasure Trove while it was cheaper... although it sounds like the folks with Mexican accounts got the best deal.
Incidentally, I've been having a blast with Shovel Knight. First time playing the game despite owning it on other platforms for ages.

N E R O

Hey gaffers. I have a grey Nintendo switch at my disposal, a friend of mine wanted it for his son but he changed his mind after I prerecorded it from amazon. I don't want to deal with Kijiji or return it to Amazon.

If anyone wants it, please P.M me.

I can meet in Downtown Toronto/Mississauga west on Weekdays - Downsview area on weekends

Wedge7

Stupid question, but is your eshop credit supposed to carry over from Wii U to switch? I linked my Nintendo account to my switch, but when I look in the eshop, it says I have $0.00. On my Wii U, my account still has around $20.

Stupid question, but is your eshop credit supposed to carry over from Wii U to switch? I linked my Nintendo account to my switch, but when I look in the eshop, it says I have $0.00. On my Wii U, my account still has around $20.

When I tried to purchase something, it asked me if I wanted to merge my funds.
Is Shovel Knight still cheaper on the Mexican eShop? I picked it up last night for ~$16
Not anymore! I missed it. :( Then again, I have Shovel Knight on PS4 so I'll just wait for the Plague of Shadows update to hit next month.

Big Chungus

Still no Switch from BestBuy.

8z4qeCp.png

Dazzler

EB Games in Vancouver (8th & Cambie) had pro controllers in stock today, I just walked in and got one

Didn't realise they were rare

This just made me 100% decide to wait for a sale now. I have it on Wii U but only beat a couple stages. Not going to double dip when it costs 3x as much as I paid for it on Wii U.

Yep, same. I already own it for Wii U and 3DS and I really wanted to play it again on Switch, but paying that extra $6 on top of an already higher price seems really unnecessary. Definitely waiting for a sale.

Wedge7

I think you have to go here: https://ec.nintendo.com/my/ and click on merge funds.

When I tried to purchase something, it asked me if I wanted to merge my funds.

Thanks for the help guys, it worked.

Didnt get prompted to merge my funds until I was actually going to purchase something on the eshop. Wouldnt have realized I would actually have to fake buy something until I got the message, then I just backed out once it added the funds.

tiijj

This just made me 100% decide to wait for a sale now. I have it on Wii U but only beat a couple stages. Not going to double dip when it costs 3x as much as I paid for it on Wii U.

Yep, same. I already own it for Wii U and 3DS and I really wanted to play it again on Switch, but paying that extra $6 on top of an already higher price seems really unnecessary. Definitely waiting for a sale.

It's also a good motivation to wait for the physical copy, although it's going to be a while since they will probably release it after the at last campaign.

Maybe someone can help me here also. I've been TV hunting for months and went through SEVERAL, a few Samsung and Vizio models, and all have had defects. The Samsungs have had ghosting issues and visual defects, and the Vizios have had faulty HDMI 5 inputs (the only one with 4K60).

I don't care for 4K anymore (40" TVs just aren't worth having that res, tests with images show that you can't even tell unless you're an inch from the screen), and I'd prefer just getting a cheap but good 1080p model.

What do you guys recommend?

I was going to order some of those but then saw how long and was like well, by the time it comes it will already be scuffed so no point even bothering lol

ZZMitch

I was going to order some of those but then saw how long and was like well, by the time it comes it will already be scuffed so no point even bothering lol

Yah good point! I don't take it out of the dock often tho. Will probably only use it portable with traveling so not too much of a chance to mess the thing up yet.

Anyone have any luck with find ING a Switch at SDM? Still nothing here in Winnipeg that I've seen other than one copy of Bombrman?

I know of a 24h one in Toronto that allegedly still had their initial stock of them even after that Saturday promotion. They only sell their Switch on the morning and hide it in the back for the rest of the day for some reason. I'm waiting on another 20x point offer deal to nab one there.

Lexxism

Speaking of switch on SDM, I just saw a few switch games on my local store. I hope they add the controllers soon. I would to use my points in that

Madness

Maybe someone can help me here also. I've been TV hunting for months and went through SEVERAL, a few Samsung and Vizio models, and all have had defects. The Samsungs have had ghosting issues and visual defects, and the Vizios have had faulty HDMI 5 inputs (the only one with 4K60).

I don't care for 4K anymore (40" TVs just aren't worth having that res, tests with images show that you can't even tell unless you're an inch from the screen), and I'd prefer just getting a cheap but good 1080p model.

What do you guys recommend?

You are wrong about 4K for that size. Why buy 1080p when the price points are negligible between the budget 1080p and budget 4K sets? There is no flagship 1080p sets anymore.

It all depends on price point, but you have a myriad of options from 40" to 43" with 4K models. But again, the issue is that 55" is now the 32" or 40" size of the past. There are fewer and fewer televisioms below that size that are considered high end. Which models of the Samsungs have you tried?

I know of a 24h one in Toronto that allegedly still had their initial stock of them even after that Saturday promotion. They only sell their Switch on the morning and hide it in the back for the rest of the day for some reason. I'm waiting on another 20x point offer deal to nab one there.

Yeah when I bought an xbone there during the 15x points and $100 gift card offer, I had to ask for it as they had them in the back room.

Moltenix

Do you guys think EB will have Switch's readily available by the end of the month (before their trade promo ends)? Have some existing credit to spend and wouldn't mind trading in a few more games too. Three more weeks should be enough time for stock to replenish right?...

Lexxism

Do you guys think EB will have Switch's readily available by the end of the month (before their trade promo ends)? Have some existing credit to spend and wouldn't mind trading in a few more games too. Three more weeks should be enough time for stock to replenish right?...
Maybe trade the games to switch games for mean time and just "switch" it when they have stocks?

Luigi87

Well that depends on demand.
Were you around for the Wii craze? I remember people lining up outside of stores every Wednesday in hopes of snagging one.

Moltenix

Maybe trade the games to switch games for mean time and just "switch" it when they have stocks?

Hah, but one of the games is BotW for Wii U. I kinda wanna keep that to play a bit until I actually get the Switch version. If I trade it now, i'll be Zeldaless AND Switchless!

You are wrong about 4K for that size. Why buy 1080p when the price points are negligible between the budget 1080p and budget 4K sets? There is no flagship 1080p sets anymore.

It all depends on price point, but you have a myriad of options from 40" to 43" with 4K models. But again, the issue is that 55" is now the 32" or 40" size of the past. There are fewer and fewer televisioms below that size that are considered high end. Which models of the Samsungs have you tried?

To add to this, if you went through "several" models with similar issues, did you check the source? I've had hdmi cables go bad on me (causing screen artifacts, shimmering and ghosting), improper settings in my PS4 (eg 4K yuv works fine while 4k rgb gives me issues), and TV set itself (turn off all the post processing stuff first, then adjust picture accordingly).

Takes a while to figure out but rtings and the GAF Av receiver forums are very helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom