• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals & Discussion 8: Don't Move Here For The Deals

Status
Not open for further replies.

tiijj

Really? That sounds like a cash grab. Is it going to be physical?

It should be. I like the box art.

VQOoS9L.jpg

Luigi87

I wanted Rime on Switch, but passing now due to that price hike on the system...
I will hate if this becomes a thing with publishers.

killroy87

I wanted Rime on Switch, but passing now due to that price hike on the system...
I will hate if this becomes a thing with publishers.

It's literally a suicide move for Nintendo to make that a thing. Any chance they have at indie success will die if they go down a path like this.

SickBoy

Cartridge probably makes a slight difference in pricing for smaller games.

Although maybe it's just me, but the tower on that box art looks like a middle finger ;)

Blackhead

Redarse
Cartridge probably makes a slight difference in pricing for smaller games.

The publishers don't manufacture the cartridges do they? That's all taken care of by Nintendo at a standard rate, right? It really shouldn't be factor!

Also is anybody buying all their Switch games from the eShop? The convenience of not carrying around cartridges for a portable device is very appealing but losing out on Amazon preorder discounts and resale value is a downer...

The publishers don't manufacture the cartridges do they? That's all taken care of by Nintendo at a standard rate, right? It really shouldn't be factor!

Also is anybody buying all their Switch games from the eShop? The convenience of not carrying around cartridges for a portable device is very appealing but losing out on Amazon preorder discounts and resale value is a downer...

I am gonna get a case that also keeps the games in it so I'd rather save to money and be able to resell.

Nintendo manufacturers the carts, yes, but obviously they do not cost as little as a DVD/BR. I don't have any info on what they cost this time around, but say if a PS4 disc cost $1 and a Switch cart cost $3.50 (probably conservative?), that's another $2.50 to account for, which is a big deal if your game is $20 versus $60.

cube444

My Switch order from London Drugs arrived today, BC delivery.

Also relented and picked up the standard Hori screen protector from EB this morning. I'll wait until the ORZLY tempered ones show better shipping times and general reviews. Thanks again to this thread (shout out to leeman) for the initial London Drugs link.

Shout out as well. Had never heard of the site before but thanks to him I received my console on Monday morning. :)

Big Chungus

Just bought a $50 eshop card, do I have to redeem it on the Wii U eshop first then merge it with my Switch account or can I redeem it on the Switch?

My guess is that Shoppers has an issue with shoplifters so they keep the expensive stuff behind the counter or in the back. Most of their games are locked in a cabinet or on pegs.

antibolo

Banned

I'm not renewing my Prime this year that's for sure

Lexxism

Hmm. It seems like I can order the RDS case and ship it to Toronto. It cost 29.26 USD fees included.

I don't remember you can do this. Was it changed?

Blackhead

Redarse
Nintendo manufacturers the carts, yes, but obviously they do not cost as little as a DVD/BR. I don't have any info on what they cost this time around, but say if a PS4 disc cost $1 and a Switch cart cost $3.50 (probably conservative?), that's another $2.50 to account for, which is a big deal if your game is $20 versus $60.
Perhaps so but those are manufacturing costs for the Nintendo not the publisher. And it certainly isn't a $10 difference. I could maybe understand and not get riled up if the publisher offers some bullshit excuse about designing for other systems first and rushing a port to be ready for Switch launch etc so higher price. But anybody suggesting cartridge costs needs to defend that point by point. Any yeah Nintendo needs to figure this out cause if it becomes standard practice then um yeah third party sales are dead in the water
I am gonna get a case that also keeps the games in it so I'd rather save to money and be able to resell.
I'm slightly scared about loss/theft though. If I lose a 3DS game it's not so bad. If I lose Zelda Swift cartridge that's $80...

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I wonder if third parties are forced to pay more per game because of carts... which would be funny because it'd be like we were living in the 90s again when we had to pay more for N64 games over PS1 games.

At least with Puyo, Sega is throwing in some plastic crap to make it feel like it's worth 15 dollars more. lol

soultron

Banned
I'm thinking of grabbing RIME on Switch but I'd love to hear an explanation as to why the price is higher here. Is it quite literally because of the cost of manufacturing the cart? Or is it because the devs did some exclusive stuff on the Switch that utilize some of the system's standout features, such as HD Rumble or motion/IR controls?

If I could get a satisfactory answer to those, I'd have no problem shelling out the extra money.

I'd love a physical version on Switch but, in the end, I'll probably just grab it from PSN. (I know there are physical versions for all consoles, yes.)

krae_man

Perhaps so but those are manufacturing costs for the Nintendo not the publisher. And it certainly isn't a $10 difference. I could maybe understand and not get riled up if the publisher offers some bullshit excuse about designing for other systems first and rushing a port to be ready for Switch launch etc so higher price. But anybody suggesting cartridge costs needs to defend that point by point. Any yeah Nintendo needs to figure this out cause if it becomes standard practice then um yeah third party sales are dead in the water

Nintendo isn't going to eat the increased manufacturing cost. If their costs go up, they will increase what they charge publishers. Also there is a market for paying extra for retail copies of games. Limited Run Games wouldn't exist if there wasn't.

Stage On

How long does Eb games take to ship out games these days?

My credit card was charged for my copy of Atelier Firis yesterday but I still haven't gotten a shipping notice :/

Haines

Banned
I have a copy of breath of the wild wiiu for cheap from an old preorder.

I have it on switch so j don't need it.

Would it be worth something some day of I kept it or should I try and sell it for a few bucks more to cover my time.

My credit card was charged for my copy of Atelier Firis yesterday but I still haven't gotten a shipping notice :/

I have received copies of games from them before receiving the shipping notice. They are usually really good.

bryt

Anyone want to buy my Switch Zelda and Pro controller for $160? In the Vancouver area. EB won't let me return it. I've already put it on Craigslist but if anyone here wants it PM me.

Would it be worth something some day of I kept it or should I try and sell it for a few bucks more to cover my time.

If Twilight Princess GC is any indication, it'll probably hold its value pretty well but I don't think it'll reach Panzer Dragoon Saga-tier insanity. At least that's if I had to guess. Could be wrong though; stuff like this is tough to predict.

Trade to eb for $80 and preorder Mario kart 8 for switch

Haines

Banned
If Twilight Princess GC is any indication, it'll probably hold its value pretty well but I don't think it'll reach Panzer Dragoon Saga-tier insanity. At least that's if I had to guess. Could be wrong though; stuff like this is tough to predict.

What's that game worth?

Does being available digitally change the value from those days?

Thanks for the tip. First time considering holding onto a game like this but I feel it's a special one.

^^
They will give me 80 trade in at eb? That doesn't make sense..

They used to ship the night before but it seems like they are overloaded these days.

My UMVC3 shipped yesterday while I was charged on Monday.

My BotW Master Edition was charged last Friday but still hasn't shipped.

What's that game worth?

Does being available digitally change the value from those days?

Thanks for the tip. First time considering holding onto a game like this but I feel it's a special one.

^^
They will give me 80 trade in at eb? That doesn't make sense..

Actually you can scratch that to an extent because I was getting CIB and sealed mixed up, when I looked through just now. It'll depend on if it's open or sealed.

Scrounging around eBay, CIB usually ranges from 60-90 at the lowest, but factory sealed tends to be 100-150 or so. So if you want you might want to hold onto it but it might be a while until it appreciates to that much. Your call at the end of the day, either way it's not chump change.

But yeah, like you say, factors like the digital version always being available, and the Switch version being likely way more common will mean that the game will always be available to play. So practically speaking the physical Wii U version will likely be desired purely as a collectible.

Not to mention there's also the various Switch LEs which will obviously be pricey well into the future. Lot of variant SKUs for this one.

Perhaps so but those are manufacturing costs for the Nintendo not the publisher.

AFAIK Nintendo has never lost money on cart manufacturing.

Cart price is based on two factors: size (bigger sizes are always quite a bit more expensive, I'd guess if somebody wanted a 32GB Switch cart today it would be several dollars more per unit) and quantity (there is always a "minimum lot" of units to purchase.) When a publisher wants to place an order (they take time to manufacture) Nintendo hands over a rate sheet.

In the old days (GBA/N64) certain cart sizes would be $10+ easily, nowadays it's much more balanced, though still many times more expensive than a DVD.

Anyway, if I'm making smaller or limited run games, a Switch release is a much bigger risk:

- more expensive to produce than a PS4 disc
- small install base like the Switch could mean a lot of returns from retailers
- my cost goes up which means I need to set the cart price to the next "tier" (which could be +5 or +10 depending on how Nintendo does business)
- I may need to work out a more beneficial deal for the retailer to ensure proper store coverage, especially if I'm not a big publisher.

tl;dr I doubt it costs exactly $10 more for Switch, but I think there's plenty of reason to believe anywhere from +3 to +7 just to comp a lot of these factors.

Haines

Banned
Actually you can scratch that to an extent because I was getting CIB and sealed mixed up, when I looked through just now. It'll depend on if it's open or sealed.

Scrounging around eBay, CIB usually ranges from 60-90 at the lowest, but factory sealed tends to be 100-150 or so. So if you want you might want to hold onto it but it might be a while until it appreciates to that much. Your call at the end of the day, either way it's not chump change.

But yeah, like you say, factors like the digital version always being available, and the Switch version being likely way more common will mean that the game will always be available to play. So practically speaking the physical Wii U version will likely be desired purely as a collectible.

Not to mention there's also the various Switch LEs which will obviously be pricey well into the future. Lot of variant SKUs for this one.

Yeah my thoughts as well. The gamecube one was better but now there's the wiiu version of it even.

I don't think it will ever lose its value below what I paid so might be worth the chance for fun.

It could end up being rare with Nintendo dumping the wiiu

Yeah my thoughts as well. The gamecube one was better but now there's the wiiu version of it even.

I don't think it will ever lose its value below what I paid so might be worth the chance for fun.

It could end up being rare with Nintendo dumping the wiiu

There's probably a lower print run on Wii U as well. Definitely lower sales potential.

Yeah, at the end of the day, I'd say it's a matter of what's best for you at this point in time. If you need the extra cash then go for it, but it's not like you have anything to lose by holding onto it. It's probably not going to drop in value anytime soon.

Haines

Banned
There's probably a lower print run on Wii U as well. Definitely lower sales potential.

Yeah, at the end of the day, I'd say it's a matter of what's best for you at this point in time. If you need the extra cash then go for it, but it's not like you have anything to lose by holding onto it. It's probably not going to drop in value anytime soon.

Thanks for the advice. I think we're going to do it bc of that point. There's no way this copy will get many prints and I can see the wiiu being a collectors wet dream

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom