• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals & Discussion 8: Don't Move Here For The Deals

Status
Not open for further replies.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Canada Post did that with every package of mine, they scan it out for delivery and delivered at once.

Cru Jones

Canada Post did that with every package of mine, they scan it out for delivery and delivered at once.

They should just get rid of the policy. I'd rather have accurate information than for them to fake deliver it to hit some metric I don't care about.

Anyone in Toronto (downtown,or east end) want to buy my PS4? Looking for someone sane after bizarre kj experiences last week. Lol.

Figured I would try here before GAF BST. $240 (near new white controller, 500gb). Have box too.

Ryde3

bought a B6 from the Balc Friday/Cyber Monday sale on Wednesday when Best Buy restocked, and VISA declined the payment, I okay'd it, then the next day they declined it again!

So frustrating I could have my TV by today ffs... VISA said the block came back but that it's off for good now...

so damn anxious.

(I returned my Sony 49X800D and went with the B6.)

Anyone know how much it roughly costs to ship a game within Canada (whether within the province or outside of it)? Just a PS4 game case. The CP calculator seems like it's predicting higher than I'd expect and I don't know if I trust it.

Anyone know how much it roughly costs to ship a game within Canada (whether within the province or outside of it)? Just a PS4 game case. The CP calculator seems like it's predicting higher than I'd expect and I don't know if I trust it.

Without tracking, 3$.
With tracking ~12$ IIRC.

Lexxism

I always use lettermail and never had a problem. Around 3-5 for fees

Cactus

Banned
Something I ordered from Play-Asia reached Canada 20 days ago, but hasn't been delivered yet. I know Customs generally holds these types of packages for an indeterminate amount of time, but 3+ weeks seems excessive. For those of you who have been in this situation before, is there anything I can do besides continue to wait patiently?

suikodan

Something I ordered from Play-Asia reached Canada 20 days ago, but hasn't been delivered yet. I know Customs generally holds these types of packages for an indeterminate amount of time, but 3+ weeks seems excessive. For those of you who have been in this situation before, is there anything I can do besides continue to wait patiently?

wait patiently. PA's CS won't do anything useful other than value your eternal patience...

Windam

Scaley member
God I hate when Amazon uses Dynamex. Delivered my ass. Searched around for 20 minutes for the package and can't find it. Great.

Sucks that they're the only option for same day delivery in Scarborough. Last time they delivered my package (WoFF Vita) 15hrs after it was due. I'm assuming the driver left it in his car overnight when he went home, too, because I called them at 9:30 (half an hour after delivery deadline) and the guy on the phone assured me the delivery guy would drop my package off before he went home. L O L.

Customs is weird. Some packages of mine from Asia they've never held (pricey ones, too), but they just recently held on to a cap I ordered from Jinx.com (shipped from California) for about a week. Just gotta wait.

Clive

Happens every time I order from them. The tracking shows it arrives in Canada on time and then 2-4 weeks later the package arrives. Three weeks is longer than average but I waited a full month once. Feels like it's the fault of our beloved Canada more than Play-Asia tbh. It's just something to keep in mind when ordering from them. They do offer express shipping with FedEX IIRC but then import fees become more likely too.

Paid for 1 day shipping from Amazon for gift I need this weekend. Shipped Wednesday...still isn't here nor has the tracking even updated.

Fuck this

leeman

Ive had a BB order ship with a tracking number on Wed morning, scheduled for delivery Thursday, but the tracking number is still "not found" as of today. The backlog of packages must be real!

Everything that shipped from Amazon / BestBuy in the last 2 or 3 days has no shipping update on Canada Post for me. I think they are in to a huge backlog, lol.

MarkusRJR

I tried this in the tech support thread in OT but no one ever helps people in there...

My laptop hard drive started dying. I randomly received one with no instructions after setting up a support eticket (didn't get any response or anything so I had no idea). Does anyone know how to transfer data over? I have programs that are for "1 PC only" and I don't want to purchase them a second time.

Also, my laptop has been outright shocking me over the last few weeks. At first it was subtle but now it actually hurts. It usually happens when I pull it out of my laptop sleeve? Could it be picking up static electricity through the sleeve or something? I'm concerned this may be why my hard drive failed.

Mupod

I tried this in the tech support thread in OT but no one ever helps people in there...

My laptop hard drive started dying. I randomly received one with no instructions after setting up a support eticket (didn't get any response or anything so I had no idea). Does anyone know how to transfer data over? I have programs that are for "1 PC only" and I don't want to purchase them a second time.

Also, my laptop has been outright shocking me over the last few weeks. At first it was subtle but now it actually hurts. It usually happens when I pull it out of my laptop sleeve? Could it be picking up static electricity through the sleeve or something? I'm concerned this may be why my hard drive failed.

is the drive unreadable or just sketchy? You could image it with Ghost or Acronis or something, save it to an external USB drive, and plop the image on to a new drive. Regardless, even if those programs won't let you activate a second time, there has to be a way to call the company's tech support and let them give you another activation. I do this all the time at work when laptop drives fail or get wiped.

You definitely shouldn't be getting shocked by your laptop. Only thing I can think of is the battery. Try taking the battery out when you store it and see if you still get shocked?

Hey Markus,

Try using Macrium Reflect Free to clone your drive.
http://download.cnet.com/Macrium-Reflect-Free/3000-2242_4-10845728.html
http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx

You'll need something to plug the drive into the computer and/or a dock like this:
http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=14_679&item_id=101112

But I've found it works pretty well for a free product.

As far as shocking goes, go to a cheap computer store and try a different sleeve that's a different material. They're pretty cheap so it should be relatively easy. And don't keep your laptop in sleep mode while you have it in your current sleeve. As often as you can, touch a piece of metal and shock your static out before grabbing the device out of the current one.

leeman

i just got an email from best buy that contained a DLC code for bonus content for The Last Guardian

omg its finally happening!!!

My collector's edition shipped from Amazon.ca yesterday eve. Of course, with Canada Post pretty much out of commission, who knows when it will be here, but holy crap, The Last Guardian shipped!!!

Happens every time I order from them. The tracking shows it arrives in Canada on time and then 2-4 weeks later the package arrives. Three weeks is longer than average but I waited a full month once. Feels like it's the fault of our beloved Canada more than Play-Asia tbh. It's just something to keep in mind when ordering from them. They do offer express shipping with FedEX IIRC but then import fees become more likely too.

If these things are being shipped surface mail, they may just be on a boat destined for a Canadian port, not actually in Canada per sé. That would explain the weeks of wait; it's a long ocean voyage...

My collector's edition shipped from Amazon.ca yesterday eve. Of course, with Canada Post pretty much out of commission, who knows when it will be here, but holy crap, The Last Guardian shipped!!!

awesome!

They won't ship mine till the night before it releases. The downside of living in the same region as one of their distribution centres.

leeman

awesome!

They won't ship mine till the night before it releases. The downside of living in the same region as one of their distribution centres.

Makes sense, I'm more rural, so it takes longer to get here. That being said, from what I can see, Canada Post is basically defaulting everything to a week+ out. Their system seems broken. Will be interesting to see when my stuff actually arrives.

MarkusRJR

is the drive unreadable or just sketchy? You could image it with Ghost or Acronis or something, save it to an external USB drive, and plop the image on to a new drive. Regardless, even if those programs won't let you activate a second time, there has to be a way to call the company's tech support and let them give you another activation. I do this all the time at work when laptop drives fail or get wiped.

You definitely shouldn't be getting shocked by your laptop. Only thing I can think of is the battery. Try taking the battery out when you store it and see if you still get shocked?

Hey Markus,

You'll need something to plug the drive into the computer and/or a dock like this:

As far as shocking goes, go to a cheap computer store and try a different sleeve that's a different material. They're pretty cheap so it should be relatively easy. And don't keep your laptop in sleep mode while you have it in your current sleeve. As often as you can, touch a piece of metal and shock your static out before grabbing the device out of the current one.
Thanks for the responses!

I already have a hard drive dock like the one above. I'm having issues with my hard drive actually reading certain files though (not sure how bad the issue is). Of the two options (cloning the drive or contacting support and installing a fresh copy of windows 10) I'm honestly leaning towards the latter. Seems like it'd be easier and less time consuming.

The question then becomes... how do you even install a fresh copy of Windows 10 onto an empty hard drive? I've honestly only upgraded. I'm assuming I just burn a dvd or put it on a USB drive, but I'm curious if I should put the hard drive in my laptop first or do it externally (if such a thing is possible). Is there a way to see what my Windows product key is? Don't you need one to have it properly installed?

These are probably really dumb questions...

Firestorm

Hey Markus,

For a dock I bought this which is quite a bit cheaper and still USB 3.0: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00IWOZAAQ/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom